scene bin collector (demolitionist)
- 4 (30.8%)
[other]
- 0 (0%)
Sven, drink more spathe ham
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - December 12 to December 16, 2022 (strips #4936 to #4940)  (Read 15854 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

It was that or trying to come up with 'advant garde scents'.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

the Viper is coming

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Only when the eagle has landed, after the rooster crowed at midnight.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

the Viper is coming

I'm old enough to remember that episode of GI JOE....

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU

I wonder if it’s Steve’s spy friend?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Security staff! Cool.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I like her hair.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

She's one of the most human AIs I think we've seen.  It's also interesting she's scared of bugs.  Then  again you probably don't want bugs getting in you if you're an AI.

Gyrre

The walking hair drain clog variety? Yeah, that's one of the few non-parasite arthropods[1] I understand people getting freaked out by.

[1] All parasitic arthropods warrant some level of squick. Especially Copopds.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

Kinda looks like the security guard on Station.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

mcguganator

• Not quite a lurker

She's one of the most human AIs I think we've seen.  It's also interesting she's scared of bugs.  Then  again you probably don't want bugs getting in you if you're an AI.

melon has entered the chat

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Hi, Evan!

Yeah, we're still HERE so must be good at their job...

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor

Well, either that, or their inordinately complex and convoluted plan to blow up the planet fails due to oversight of a commonly known detail.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

FOOLS! I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL!
(ask me how)

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication

(ask me how)
Radioactive mutant hamsters?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Don't come to Australia (Canada without the cold winter but with more foul language), Marten. We have lots of house centipedes. Of course... They have cute red legs, and though they are not aggressive, a painful bite. House millipedes are smaller and cannot bite, but if bothered, they spray a toxic chemical that can cause painful rashes on human skin. I don't know what effect either would have on a robot, but millipede toxin is highly acidic...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

At least until she deploys her arm cannon.
[Said arm cannon may or may not fire yellow foam balls in 3 round bursts.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

stayctee

• Plantmonster

Don't come to Australia (Canada without the cold winter but with more foul language), Marten. We have lots of house centipedes. Of course... They have cute red legs, and though they are not aggressive, a painful bite. House millipedes are smaller and cannot bite, but if bothered, they spray a toxic chemical that can cause painful rashes on human skin. I don't know what effect either would have on a robot, but millipede toxin is highly acidic...

Ah, I remember Australia, and its lack of large predators (I'm from western Canada so this was something I noticed) but the many many many tiny predators which is much much worse. I remember my friend saying, "oh yeah, that ant? Don't go near it." As it stood its ground in the middle of a path we were walking on. Chilling.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Not quite a lurker
  • Bah. Humbug.

Oh. My. God.  That is the best security AI name ever.  I am six kinds of jealous.  (And twelve kinds of 'I'm with you on the centipede thing, kill 'em on sight, says I!!')
Enh.

Gyrre

It was suggested on the Discord that 'Evanescence Incinerator' sounds like at least half of a new band name.
I'd like to suggest that said band migt be techno-ska, trance-ska, or hyperpop that got its start heavily modifying the music of Evanescence.
a real-ass gaddam sword

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Fun fact, "Evanescence Incinerator" is basically a canonically correct Roegadyn name in FF XIV. Evan here is a bit too short to be a representation of a Roegadyn.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

So 'automated security' deals with simple routine stuff. Anything more complex is referred to  Evan and her people. Sounds reasonable to me.

( yes canada has house centipedes google is your friend )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

No update today?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

IKR?

Gyrre

No update today?

Sometimes it's posted around midnight [CST] or later for whatever reason. The new comic is up by the way.

On that note; 🎵 bust~ed 🎵
a real-ass gaddam sword

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

No Claire, that doesn't follow. Yes, Security does has an excellent opportunity to plant bugs,  but that doesn't mean that no-one else does. Maintenance/housekeeping for instance would have legitimate access to the room and thus an equal opportunity.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Go back and read panel two again. I think you skipped over a bit.

They'd need to have access this room, and know how to circumvent that fancy automated security you were talking about.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster

Good lord Claire, who put the stick up your butt?
Shel kek nem ron.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

JJ is going full James Bond, today...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Boxer

• Plantmonster

Well Claire might not be wrong on that part on if people are bad at their jobs, she is questioning why she is there in the first place... bad hiring practices seems to be answer Number 1 at this point.

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up

Claire must be somewhat travel fatigued at this point! but also, they haven't reached the impressive/inspiring part of Cubetown yet!! 

Cypher

• Not quite a lurker

God, Claire comes off like such a pain in the ass to put up with. I get Jeph is going for "only sane woman", and indeed much of what she complains about/ objects to isn't totally unreasonable, but she comes off so... bitter? Frustrated? Like, THIS is the way to interact respectfully with a potential new long-term co-resident/ colleague (in the sense that they'd both work there)? Nah.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Evan is certainly well kitted out. I wonder what that thingy strapped to her arm is?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Ah, there we go.

Why can't Evan be bad at BOTH? *lol*

Gyrre

Evan is certainly well kitted out. I wonder what that thingy strapped to her arm is?

Spare battery pack? Maybe a kit of custom potpourri?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pseudowolf

• Not quite a lurker

Well, judging by Claire's sudden apparent hostility, it seems like she's getting a little disillusioned with Cubetown.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Spare battery pack? Maybe a kit of custom potpourri?

Looks like a Swiss army knife to me.

Re. Claire's attitude: she is having a job interview at a place that she's wary about, just had a very exhausting flight, dealt with Marten and his seasickness, and then arrived in her room to find someone who ostensibly works there lurking on the balcony. I'd be testy too, although personally it reads more as "I'm running out of spoons".

somnolesence

• Not quite a lurker

This is going to be Claire super villian origin story.

Driven mad by the residents and employees of Cube Town, she runs for whatever passes as mayor of the place and takes over using their experimental tech and collective AI intelligence to branch out and bring order to the world.

DreDotJs

• Not quite a lurker

Honestly, I'm 100% on Claire's side. She's coming over to a place to evaluate whether it's a level of batshit she can put up with, which she arguably made clear to Moray, and after being very nice the whole time to the nicest person showing them red flag after red flag red flag, I'm out of spoons to be even remotely nice to the head of security literally in my new digs without my consent or foreknowledge because she was chasing an easily clockable red herring and taking up my one hour of rest after an exhausting flight. She is so much nicer than I would have been in this panel,

I'm not gonna lie, this and the 1pm explosions joke clinches for me that this is a bad idea; if this were the real world, I'm not sure that I wouldn't consider all of these people incompetent to the point of dangerous, and the lack of boundaries is just plain aggravating.

Tova

• coprophage

What a refreshing callback to the even more negative (hostile even) response to Claire’s first appearance. Back when the forum was busier and certain people didn’t hesitate to reach for sexist insults.

So, here is a little observation I’ve been sitting on for some time about Jeph’s art style. I most likely won’t get another chance to express it.

He tends to default to drawing characters with angry faces when they make critical comments.

REALLY angry faces. Over the top angry faces. Silent-film-era-overacting angry faces.

More than once, I’ve wondered whether the character in question is really as angry as they look or if it’s just a quirk of Jeph’s art style. Especially when people react strongly along the lines we’ve seen in this thread.

Maybe I’m wrong and I should be going purely by what’s on the page when interpreting the comic, but I really do wonder, because of how often I’ve seen furious faces over much more minor matters or even as a punchline to a joke.

Edit: to be more precise, what we’re seeing on Claire’s face is not so much anger as it is utter disgust. It’s incongruous.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2022, 12:39 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DreDotJs

• Not quite a lurker

I will also say that Moray is so sweet and excitable that it seems like she'd be very hard to be this level of frank with (which, again, is what she's going there to do, wrangle these idiots into something resembling a place run by common sense) so I'm not surprised that Claire's not digging through her rapidly disappearing emergency stash of cares to give with Balcony Lady.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Ok Claire's being an asshat. Even secure military facilities with good security teams still do bug sweeps despite them in theory not being necessary. You'd be amazed at where and how surveillance devices have slipped past security.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster

Ok Claire's being an asshat. Even secure military facilities with good security teams still do bug sweeps despite them in theory not being necessary. You'd be amazed at where and how surveillance devices have slipped past security.

EXACTLY.  You know what who don’t have a clue about security do?  Assume their secure site doesn’t need to be checked!  No system is perfect which is WHY you have multiple layers of security, do security sweeps, etc.  With an attitude like hers Claire would fail even the most basic security check.  What exactly are Claire’s qualifications to pontificate on security anyway?  Heaven help the poor people of Cubetown should Claire take the job, I’ve worked with insufferable think they know it alls like her before and it’s never a pleasant experience, especially since they seldom actually do know what they are taking about in the end.
Shel kek nem ron.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

And poor Evan is panicking. *lol*

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

(ask me how)

I have this T-shirt!  -  Sometimes I forget I'm wearing it, then get self-conscious when random people on the street look at my chest and grin...  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Tova

• coprophage

I’ve changed my mind now that she’s still furious and now just think that after all that’s happened, she’s finally rejecting the place for the most ridiculous reason imaginable.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

re the title of the latest comic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7Ol1qDg-o

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Huh, Jeph actually addresses Claire's mood in his newspost!

Quote from: JJ
This one got away from me a little, I think! Claire comes off as more unreasonably angry than I intended. Oh well!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I've rejected jobs for much smaller red flags. If they want Claire, they better start making a better impression.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up