THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 16:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you could only choose one, you would choose.....

Playstation Portable
- 5 (45.5%)
Nintendo Duel Screen
- 6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 10 Mar 2005, 12:43

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSP Vs. DS  (Read 6617 times)

Jiperly

PSP Vs. DS
« on: 10 Mar 2005, 12:43 »

They both have their pros and cons, but i don't got the money for both(yet)- which do you suggest?

DS's Pros

Wireless online play
Good graphics
Retro gaming
good battery life
unique touch pad

PSP's Pros

Can play MP3's
Can play video's
inproved graphics
Thumbpad

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2005, 16:27 »

i've already got the GB DS, but i'd say the PSP, simply for the larger range of activities you can do on it

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2005, 16:55 »

IT DOES NOT MAKE WAFFLES THOUGH.  And that is sad.  If I had more money I'd purchase a PSP as I picked up the DS already.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2005, 18:32 »

shit, the PSP comes with a wafflemaker and a grittle for pancakes.

I already own the DS, but I look at the PSP like a married man looks at his secretary.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2005, 19:22 »

I picked the DS since I already have an MP3 player and I find the idea of watching movies by myself while hunched over a tiny screen to be intensely depressing.  Also, Mario.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Verek

PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2005, 19:30 »

PSP, because Sony's third parties are for win. Plus, they...just make better consoles than Nintendo.

See, every company has a strong suit:

Sony: Technology, third party support, rabid fanboys.
Nintendo: Mario, rabid fanboys, parents who buy video games for their kids.
Microsoft: Scads of money, evil, brainwashing, exclusive games, though most of them eventually come out for PC, because XBOX - PC ports are apparently cake.
Sega: Awesome games, but terrible marketing and short-sightedness.

They also have weaknesses:
Sony: Remember the PS2 Launch? Yeah. That'll probably happen again.
Nintendo: "Kiddie" image, weak third party support, lack of exclusive games, stubborn (We'll use minidiscs! It'll be brilliant!)
Microsoft: Evil, mostly uninspired game catalog.
Sega: Bankrupt. (Or close)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2005, 19:36 »

How can you say technology is Sony's strong suit? The PS2 is the most incredibly underpowered, fragile piece of crap ever.

IMO, the only thing Sony ever has and ever will have going for it is their third parties. They mass produce crap, then manage to get everyone to develop for it. It's infuriating.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Verek

PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2005, 19:43 »

Yes. But it came out before all the others. And if you've read anything about the new cell processing technology Sony is working on...

At any rate, I didn't mean the console, I meant the company. Sony is one of the world's leading manufacturer of electronics. I think they have some idea what they're doing.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2005, 20:05 »

Yeah. My PS2 fucked up on me at least three times. And no, it wasn't the laser, because I cleaned that and it didn't work. It soon got to the point where it wou;dn't even turn on; at that point I tied it to a rope and flung it around.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2005, 20:06 »

The Cell thing has been thought of before. I'm still not convinced it's anything special. The XBox Next has 3 3.0 Ghz Power PC processors and is coming out before the PS3. The Cell processor better be able to reliably outperform that or Sony's already full of crap.

Idle Note:

Sony recently forced Ken Kutaragi(the creator of the Playstation) off of their board of directors.

Maybe they do know what they're doing.

EDIT: I'm on my third PS2 right now. My first one didn't work from the day I got it. Second one crapped out a year later. Thank you Sony, for your fine gaming machines.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jiperly

PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:42 »

wait.....so Sony is good at what they do, because they are leaders in the electronics market.

But Microsoft is good at what they do, because they are the leader in many markets- but that makes them evil, and sony good?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
This post brought to you by the power of coffee
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2005, 11:42 »

I often wonder what it's like to be that insecure over playing a game or system that is "OMG kiddie image."  Seriously, this becoming the most trite arguement against Nintendo the more I hear or read it the more I wish I could command my head to explode.  

I imagine if they had stuck to cartridges instead of going with minidisc you'd more satisfied?  Or does a game need to be on a bigger disc for purpose of overcompensation?

I like, own, and play all three systems.  I don't remember the PS2 launch mostly because I don't buy most things at launch but when I can afford to.  Bills and rent tend to have a priority in my life.  Nintendo and a lack of exclusive games, after citing Mario as a strong point above?  Yeah, because Metroid kicked so much more ass on the Xbox and I had more fun playing Zelda:  Windwalker on the PS2.  The disapointing thing is when Rare didn't resign to make third party games for Nintendo anymore.  Xbox, uninspired game catalog, what the hell?  As disapointing as the Rare thing is I'm sure I'll have fun playing the incredibly unispired Konker's Bad Fur Day on Xbox. Too bad the games FASA has made are so borring too.  Now they just need to try their hand at a Shadowrun game for the 'box.

Jiperly

PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2005, 13:01 »

dude, you got, like, hardcore ADD there.....

Super Dave

PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2005, 15:06 »

I like the DS more for a few reasons;
   1- I don't want a 300(CDN) Dollar handheld
   2- I already have a DS
   3- I don't like the idea of having so much crap I won't use in one system
   4- The screen on PSP has no cover - It'll look like shit in a few months no matter how well you treat it
   5- the battery life is low(er thn DS')
   6- It plays it's games from minidisks right? How much good is the DVD thing of it now?

That's my view.

Digs

PSP Vs. DS
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2005, 17:56 »

FASA is actually pretty notorious for making mediocre battle systems and imposing them over games that are great ideas.

You have to realize that the PSP doesn't have a chance of getting anything but pity. Sony doesn't seem to get that it isn't about improving the graphics, and it isn't about multifunctionality. Playing is for pleasure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up