THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the hardest game/challenge you ever completed?  (Read 21426 times)

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish

What's the toughest challenge you've passed on a game?

I've had plenty of things that were just too tough for me (most recently was Realistic difficulty on Far Cry), and I've just given up, but there have been some that I've struggled through.

This doesn't just have to be a certain game, if there are certain goals you managed to achieve that you think are the hardest thing you've ever pulled off (Legendary in Halo, for example, or NSG in FFX), post it here.

My hardest challenge was completing Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die mode.  The bosses were insane, it took me weeks of play to beat some of them.

Anyone else?
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Schmung

What's the hardest game/challenge you ever completed?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 04:46 »

urm, most recent one was Call of Duty on whatever the highest difficulty on that was. Fucking insane, especially Pegasus Bridge. My nemesis though, is a game from the 80s.

That is the most evil game known to man. I got past the first level ONCE. Only once mind you. Oh, I never completed Treasure Island Dizzy either. Kept dieing at the bit where you go into the sea.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 07:48 »

I remember the first game I ever beat without cheating was TMNT II: The arcade game on the NES.  I've also beaten Tales of Symphonia but that was with a LOT of help from walk throughs.

I danced when I saved NYC.  I dance HARD.

A ballet of victory?  I think so:)

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2005, 10:07 »

I beat Ghosts and Goblins on the NES.  It took me four months of playing as much as I could take.

When I put the last knife throught that double-faced fuck at the end, I was so happy.  I had triumphed completely.

Then I saw this:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/a/ghosts_b.htm

That is when the game puts you back at the beginning. What I didn't know at the time is that you have to beat the last guy with the shittiest weapon, or you start over with that crap ending. It put me back at the beginning.  All I wanted to do was get the knight to hook up with his girl, but no.  All the way back.

I sat there, staring at the screen while that same first stage music started over. Again.  A zombie popped out of the ground, knocked my armor off, and killed me. I couldn't move for a solid minute or two. I stood up, turned off my NES, removed the cartridge. I went outside and threw that fucker as hard as I possibly could down the hill that we lived on. I turned around and went back inside before it hit the pavement way down the street. I didn't even want to see it shatter. That is the only destructive act I have ever done as a result of a game. Fuck you, Capcom. Fuck you.
UNF.

Wysiwyg

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2005, 10:58 »

Mine was Gaiares, a space shooter for Sega Genesis. This game is INSANE, with huge bosses that takes half of the screen, and one third of the other half with attacks. It took many months to finally beat it, and i was trembling at the end of the game.

Oh, i saw the end of G n´ G and had almost the same reaction as you. I felt violated.

Jiperly

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2005, 13:44 »

In Burnout 3, i won a race with 4 Milliseconds to spare.(a millisecond is one-thousand of a second.)

Jiperly

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2005, 13:45 »

In Burnout 3, i won a race with 4 Milliseconds to spare.(a millisecond is one-thousand of a second.)

Deformagraphy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:49 »

Resident Evil 4 on Professional Mode with a clean run through.  (ie, start with what you're given not what you had in a previous game)

Fucking hard.

Digs

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2005, 16:35 »

Beat FFT with a single chemist, only equipped with chemist skills and weapons.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2005, 17:50 »

ive done a lot a lot of hard shit.
hrm
ive beaten a link to the past with 3 hearts and no death?
but then again that games isnt terribly hard.

Bad Samaritan

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2005, 08:22 »

I finally managed to beat Bio-hazard Battle on my SG a few weeks back. The final levels of that game drove me up the wall.

Maverick

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2005, 03:33 »

At the moment i'm playing a game on the xbox called Ninja: Gaiden.  This game is right up there on my "List of F*cking Amazing games".  Many of my mates gave up after a few days of struggle calling it 'too hard'....bull.  This game is hard, but not too hard.  I'm playing it on the 'normal' difficulty and i'd hate to think of the harder version.  An Amazing play, highly recomend it for fans of free-form swordfighting RPG's.  Legendary on Halo? that was a pushover, legendary on Halo2? thats hard.  I'm about half-way through at the moment and i'm fair proud hahaha.

emor

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2005, 21:05 »

Thief: The Dark Project on Expert and only knocking out ten people or something for the entire game.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2005, 14:35 »

Quote from: emor
Thief: The Dark Project on Expert and only knocking out ten people or something for the entire game.

Holy shit.

That right there takes the cake as hard.

and Halo and Halo 2 on legendary were easy to me. *shrug*
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Lunch Box

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2005, 14:58 »

So far I've beaten R-type final on all difficulties up to Bydo, haven't even attempted R-Typer yet...that game is difficult itself...man...

oh, and clearing the first 3 stages of Contra: Shattered Soldier without dying, talk about a game that's hard to S class.

xeno

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2005, 16:58 »

Super Monkey Ball 2. 'Nuff said.

cliffkik

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2005, 18:58 »

http://cliffkik.250free.com/screenshots/TETRIS164580.JPG

[/TOPIC]

No really though, I've unlocked all the cheats on goldeneye for N64... :O

Beat halflife on hard in under 12 hours.  Breaks included.

Schmung

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2005, 04:49 »

Kind of obscure, but the Alien Versus Preadotr arcade game from somewhere in the mid nineties. Absurdly, insanely hard. Uber bosses who took as much skill as luck to kill. Completing it with one credit would be a truly impressive feat. I played it on MAME a few months back with a friend and it took us shitloads of credits. Evil, nasty game, but fun if you're just pressing a key and not slotting pound coins into the bastard thing.

Akbar

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2005, 06:09 »

It's not something I've completed yet, but somehow coming out on the top of the scoreboard in a game of TS against Nashwan, Orgun, Exo, RabidWeasel and Twins would be quite an impressive feat.

No, Schmung, you don't count. ;)

icu

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2005, 09:31 »

Overall games are just a whole bunch easier than those from the 'old school'.  The reason being that back then they could only stuff so much game in such a confined space.  'Long lasting gameplay' was achieved  by making games insanely hard.  Not saying that they were more fun mind you.

First thing that comes to mind is Nightstalker on the Intellivision.  It was my 1st true obsession.  There was no beating it - it just went on and on and on and on - no saves - get's insanely hard.  It's pacman with robots and guns.  I still hear that 'heartbeat' in my nightmares…

Akbar

« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:15 »

Oh lord, you too! We're all a happy family!

xD

Whorhay

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:31 »

I think the hardest game I remember playing that I finally ended up giving up on was some stage of the ball game on Unreal Tournament 2003. I think I played the same stage over and over for four or five hours before calling it quits. The difficulty in it was that as you work into the enemy base the bad guys are being respawned inside of it so there is less and less time, well eventually no time, between facing a fresh enemy or two. I am not very good at FPS games but I can't imagine that kind of setup being much easier for even those people that are sickeningly good at those games.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:57 »

Quote from: Digs
Beat FFT with a single chemist, only equipped with chemist skills and weapons.

Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is a good game and pretty challenging.  It took me quite awhile to get down the whole shooting arrows with arrows.

I'm having trouble with Advance Wars 2.  For some reason.

Digs

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2005, 14:02 »

They made Sturm a horrible, horrible monster in that one. I believe he's %140 the average firepower and defence(adder, andy etc)? Think his CO super bumps it up to %160.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2005, 14:05 »

So far ?  Gnomeregan in WoW... When I was level 32 along with the rest of my guildmates that place was downright FRIGHTFUL to get through.  We died so many times that we would spend nearly 8 hours in a single day working that instance.  Good times.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2005, 14:24 »

They made Sturm a horrible, horrible monster in that one. I believe he's %140 the average firepower and defence(adder, andy etc)? Think his CO super bumps it up to %160.

ARGH.  Heh, I haven't even made it past Yellow Comet.  I was about to and my brother started a new campaign.  I tried playing a War Room map against Strum.  It reminded me of watching something solid going through puree.

Digs

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2005, 15:01 »

Neat music, though. Make sure you get the Yellow Comet neotanks or you'll be in for a rough ride when Green Earth rolls around.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2005, 18:34 »

Quote from: James
Quote from: Schmung
the Alien Versus Preadotr arcade game from somewhere in the mid nineties.

Fucking LOVE that game.

a classic indeed.
i always picked the girl

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2005, 12:05 »

Neat music, though. Make sure you get the Yellow Comet neotanks or you'll be in for a rough ride when Green Earth rolls around.

For Strum or Yellow Comet?  I was just wondering about the Green Earth part, do I have to beat all of the Yellow Comet Missions?  Er, maybe I should start a AW 2 thread.

James and Wil, this AvP?  LOVED IT.  I always had to play as a Predator.  I swear I dumped so many coins into that game.  Damn Capcom for only making the arcade version and Activision for making the inferior SNES version.

Looking at those screenshots has got me itchin to play Metal Slug 3.

Tearon

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2005, 08:48 »

Well, once I beat FF8 while doing ALL of the pointless side quests. It took me a reallly long time but I guess it wasn't that hard. (For the most part, Omega Wepon is hard as all hell) I guess the hardest thing I've ever done was in Ace Combat 4. I beat the Megalith level without ever letting my speed fall below 1000. It took a bazillion tries.

Digs

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jan 2005, 17:38 »

Omega can be killed by Selphie's limit break in thirty seconds, if you set things up correctly.

tayker

Re: What's the hardest game/challenge you ever completed?
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jan 2005, 17:53 »

Quote from: wraithzero
Anyone else?

Although Devil May Cry was a controller thrower, and pooped out in the end, I have to say Ninja Gaiden was the toughest game.

DoctorHobo

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jan 2005, 23:46 »

You're probably all gonna laugh at me, but...GTA: San Andreas. I am the worst person to have ever played any sort of driving game. I completely suck. So now, I always get stuck for days on these damn driving missions. Also, you know how some people throw their controllers? I bite mine. There are so many tiny craters in my PS2 controller that you would think a tiny meteor storm hit it. It even has a few cracks in the plastic. DAMN YOU, DRIVING MISSIONS! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

tayker

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jan 2005, 07:25 »

I'm not going to laugh, the bicycle part in the beginning blew ass. After that it got easy. I kept losing the other guys, or dying.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2005, 17:23 »

Also when you start out at the begining your driving skill is completly low.  It makes a huge difference.

Tearon

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2005, 19:23 »

Omega can be killed by Selphie's limit break in thirty seconds, if you set things up correctly.

Well, so can anyone else. There are two things wrong with this:

1. Your method involves actually USING Seplphie for extended parts of the game in order to stop her from sucking. Don't get me wrong, she's cute and all, but she jumps around using two sticks bound by a magical stretching chain that is never explained. The game was odd enough as is.

2. The game was also easy enough as is. My rule is this: if the game has a method trough which you can become invincible (I.E. The End or Holy War) it doesn't count to beat any challenges. Because you can get ridiculously powerful just by the junction system (which was made to be used by six year olds) I had to increase my standards for this game.

I beat Omega by making all of my guys reallllly strong. I maxed out HP, VIT, and STR/MAG depending on the person's role. I used Squall (attack) Riona (healing) and Irvine (support). I had Riona keep using Regen and Curaga spells while Irvine and Squall meltdown-aura-renzokukened it over and over. I would try to keep somebody summoning something so they could use a Mega Pheonix to pick up the pieces after terra break. (to which my original responce was "holy shit!") After awhile, the damn thing went down, and I realized I had spent two full days at it (the whole process, not just the battle.)

Somehow, I still believe it was worthwhile. ^_^

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jan 2005, 20:35 »

Nethack.

Do i need to say more?
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

KID

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jan 2005, 09:55 »

i got to level 100 in kingdom hearts before leaving the destiny islands. that was hard later on, simply because it just took so long to get all the exp 1 and 2 at a time

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #38 on: 30 Jan 2005, 10:57 »

Quote from: Abattur
Nethack.

Do i need to say more?

Dear God.

The last game that really gave me a challenge was Ikaruga. That game was a bitch.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Digs

« Reply #39 on: 30 Jan 2005, 13:53 »

Best maximization plan for FF8 is keeping them at the lowest levels you can until you get Bahamut and...Cactuar, I think? A GF that comes with a lot of the "___ up" abilities.

cooljammer00

« Reply #40 on: 30 Jan 2005, 18:54 »

where can i download that AVP game?  seems fun

oh, and for anyone stuck in advance wars, i got to the last level in advance wars 1, and i was at a virtual standstill against sturm.  i would move, he would move.  we lcouldnt beat each other.  i just gave up eventually.

oh, and for me, all games are hard.  i love them, i really do, but sometimes i just want to throw them out the window.  i have a habit of playing a game, and getting frustrated on the first level and never playing it again.   like KOTOR, for the PC, it keeps crashing my comp, and i got sad and gave up.  or for star wars 2:jedi outcast(or something), storm troppers jumping out from corners just freaked me out too much.  i havent played in years.  and that's the FIRST LEVEL.

ok, more later.

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #41 on: 31 Jan 2005, 11:05 »

I thought Max Payne was hard at times. Great game though.

Jiperly

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jan 2005, 11:13 »

Pfft- Max Payne was cake.

In Max Payne 2, if you beat it at the hardest difficulty, you get a secret additional ending(that greatly alters the next game)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #43 on: 01 Feb 2005, 12:17 »

Alma in Ninja Gaiden the first couple attempts.  I think I did a fair amount of jumping around after I beat her.

likeadocentslisp

lightweights
« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2005, 18:06 »

sweet jesus.  a game NEVER mentioned, but is harder than any other game, ever.  sidepocket, for super nes.  it's a pool game.  ten-some odd levels, you are allowed to miss a total of twenty times in the entire game.  there is one guy on the entire internet who has written a guide, and he's a quarter of the way through.  no one, in my research, has beaten it.  not a single person.

Rauko

« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2005, 18:23 »

Try picking up one of the classic Mega Man games.  If I remeber, 2 is extremly hard.  But once you hit the X series it starts getting reall easy.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #46 on: 17 Feb 2005, 07:27 »

I finally beat Ducktales after failing miserably 10 years ago.  I feel good.  Damn good.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #47 on: 17 Feb 2005, 07:48 »

my roomate got 300,000 points on the first level of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 for the N64 no codes or anything
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Digs

« Reply #48 on: 17 Feb 2005, 09:36 »

Quote from: Rauko
Try picking up one of the classic Mega Man games.  If I remeber, 2 is extremly hard.  But once you hit the X series it starts getting reall easy.
I always wanted an adversarial multi for Megaman X. I figure that the screen's basically the same anyway, so it would be like a participative boss fight. Entertaining for a while, maybe.

Rauko

« Reply #49 on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:34 »

These days it would be easy to make a flash game like that.  Meg-man only needs a couple of animations and those probably already exist on the internet.  The programing wouldn't be all that hard for someone who knew what they were doing (aka not me).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up