Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AFI  (Read 11137 times)

hoopyfroodcat

AFI
« on: 21 Jan 2005, 12:56 »

So you can discuss whether you like AFI or not, and whether they should have covered "Head Like a Hole" or not.

I like AFI, although it might just be nostalgia.  I listened to them back in the day, before Hot Topic knew who they were. I think their cover of "Head Like a Hole" is kind of uninspired, though.

Malphas

AFI
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 13:03 »

Well, I don't think they're as bad as everyone makes them out to be.  I kinda like them.  I'd much rather listen to AFI than most of the other bands that get played on MTV.  I knew of them before they turned huge as well, and I'm still not really sure what made them so popular.

czar0406

AFI
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 13:51 »

the lead singers kinda hot....ya know...for a goth chick.

Rune

AFI
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2005, 13:58 »

...you know, for a goth guy.

I was a pretty big fan of them a while back, and I still listen to the older stuff every once in a while (pretentious, I know) when I'm in a punky mood. I must say, All Hallow's EP is my favorite of all of them.

I think I may listen to Sing The Sorrow tonight, though, on my drive.

blindsuperhero

AFI
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:36 »

Quote from: czar0406
the lead singers kinda hot....ya know...for a goth chick.

Haha! Oh, good times...

I think AFI were okay when they were a hardcore band, but these days they just play standard guitar pop. When I heard "Girl's Not Grey" on the radio I actually couldn't believe it was by AFI. I mean, it's a nice song and all, in the same way, say, R.E.M. have nice songs. It just sounded very mainstream.

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
AFI
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:46 »

After Devo covered it, a permanent stop should've been put on covers of “Head Like a Hole.?

'Cause there's no way anyone could play it better than Devo.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

thehoopiestfrood

AFI
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2005, 15:09 »

I've met Davey Havok - he was lovely, but he was very sad that I normally was paler than him in full goth makeup.

Deformagraphy

AFI
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2005, 15:25 »

I really like AFI...and I hate most new "hardcore" bands.  They know how to make their music and art more accessable than others, while still remaining true to themselves.  I really loved the most recent album and I'm looking forward to the new one.

The fact that they covered Head Like A Hole and it didn't make me puke (like the other 2 covers) is a grand achievement, seeing as Nine Inch Nails is my favorite band.

PS:  Jade is my hero.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
AFI
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2005, 16:42 »

I'm a bit hit and miss with AFI, I like some of it but not others. The only release by them I actually own is the All-Hallows EP, because of the misfits cover.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

devils_daughter

AFI
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2005, 16:46 »

I've only heard a few of their singles ( loved "Days of the pheonix") and saw half of their set at Reading 2003 and really liked it. When I have the spare cash, at least one of their albums is on the list.

fin

AFI
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2005, 08:57 »

I quite like them, although i didnt get into them till girls not grey came out i like theyre older stuff too. The cover on the all hallows ep is pretty good, havent heard their cover of head like a hole yet tho.

synecdoche

AFI
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2005, 11:17 »

I have not heard many of their songs but I too liked Day of the Phoenix.  The later singles were alright but didn't really grab me too much.

Samedi

AFI
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2005, 13:01 »

I used to be a huge AFI fan, though my interest in them has faded a bit in the past year. The Art of Drowning/Black Sails In The Sunset are still their best albums, and I'll admit it took me a little while to develop a taste for Sing the Sorrow. Once I did, I rather liked it though. They still put on one of the best live shows, I've seen 'em 4 or 5 times I think.

The cover... eh. It's alright. But then, I'm not that big a fan of NIN in the first place. Actually, I think they're pretty overrated.

Octillus

AFI
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2005, 17:44 »

They turned into pompous dicks. As far as I'm concerned, AFI is dead to me.

muffy

• The Tickler
AFI
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2005, 17:50 »

Quote from: thehoopiestfrood
I've met Davey Havok - he was lovely, but he was very sad that I normally was paler than him in full goth makeup.

I'm jealous of you, and I'm not a goth, i just like very pale skin.

Also, I have a friend who stalks Davey Havok.  As in, seriously stalks.  It's a little disturbing.  Then again, the same friend threw up over Carl Barat from the libertines, so she has my eternal respect...

Samedi

AFI
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2005, 19:37 »

Quote from: Octillus
They turned into pompous dicks. As far as I'm concerned, AFI is dead to me.

Funny, they were rather nice when I talked to them. I'm not sure if Davey is capable of being anything but nice. Well, nice and angsty.

ASturge

AFI
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2005, 04:56 »

well, AFI IMMOLATED 99 red balloons. damn phoos

Morokrat

AFI
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2005, 07:33 »

isn't AFI that band that raped the misfits-songs?
well...if they are, then they deserve their own circle of hell for this, though, mind you, i sometimes enjoy their other stuff^^

SeanBateman

AFI
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2005, 08:55 »

Big Ups for the Spider Jerusalem Avatar. I was just reading that issue the other day. Chopf!

sliptape

AFI
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2005, 16:54 »

I'm on-and-off with AFI, as well. I didn't like "Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes", "Answer That And Stay Fashionable" was hyperactive, "All Hallow's Eve" was pretty cool, but I have to say that "Sing The Sorrow" was what really got em into them.

I'm not a big fan of their politics, though, with the whole straight edge and uberveganism. And if the population of their official messageboard is anything to go by, their fans aren't the people I'd get along with too well.

Samedi

AFI
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2005, 17:49 »

Many AFI fans tend to be rather fanatical. I was one for a while, but then I just stopped caring as much. But it's never fair to judge a band by its message board. They're usually filled with 13 year-olds with far too much time on their hands, gabbing mindlessly about which member of the band they think is the hottest.

What, me bitter about the utter shit most of the punk scene has become?

And yes, Spider Jerusalem is the kickassingest.

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
AFI
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2005, 18:16 »

You damn kids and your "punk-rocked" music! Back in my day, we had real musicians! Like Roy Rogers and Frank Cummings! Rotten teenagers today. No respect for their elders.

Sorry, I just felt like sounding like a cranky old guy for a minute there. AFI are pretty rock.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Spencer

AFI
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2005, 09:51 »

Tremendous band live. I mean really, you'd be hard pressed to find a better pure punk show than Rancid/AFI (Though admittedly the last time I saw them was before this whole goth-pop-punk turn they pulled). I wouldnt consider myself a fan. I like their (everyone together now) older stuff. They alienated a good majority of their old school fans with their musical switchup, but I think they've maintained their artistic integrity amidst the whole thing. I mean, for years everyone knew Davey Havoc wanted to be a little goth kid. He talked about it incessently. Even when he was a flat topped, spiky haired punk he still dyed his hair black and painted his nails. In just about every article Ive seen them mentioned in over the passed decade Davey was always mentioning taking the band in a "darker" direction. And they did that, very much so, with...um, whatever album Days of the Phoenix was on.

Im conflicted about the whole Girls Not Grey thing. I mean, no doubt, I think it's a terrible song. Just about everything I heard off that album was terrible. But it wasnt unexpected. It wasnt a sell out. It's what they'd been building up to for years. Davey finally looked like Glenn Danzig, and he finally perfected a way to meld Goth with Punk in a way that didnt copy The Misfits. I certainly can't dislike them for doing what they have set out to do from day one.

I can loathe the type of fan that they attract now. But I've hated 16 year old hot topic kids for the last decade now, from way back when I was a little punk rat, so its not really a surprise there. So yeah, I think if theres one reason I really dislike them now, its cause of their fans. There's been an extreme shift in the type of kid that is in to AFI now, than of a decade ago (though they are still the same age - 16). I guess thats just the fall out of a scene that is dominated by Hot Topic now though.

/end tangent

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
AFI
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2005, 15:07 »

I really, really feel good for living in a country with no Hot Topics.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
AFI
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2005, 12:38 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I really, really feel good for living in a country with no Hot Topics.

here, here!  from what people say, it's a place that's best only whispered about in quiet rooms when accompanied by a select few, trusted individuals.

oh, yes.  afi.  meh.  they're not horrible, they don't rock my socks...for some reason that bothers me more than if i thought they absolutely blew.  they're just kinda there.  dismantled's cover of 'morningstar' is quite excellent, though.

Musasa

AFI
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jan 2005, 09:15 »

AFI is listenable, only certain songs really.  The cover of Head Like a Hole was pretty faithful to the original, but they really didn't bring anything new to the song except a voice that is less suited for NIN than Trent Reznor's.  Somehow I can't hear the same voice that did that high pitched shriek in Girl's Not Grey screaming I WANNA F*** YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL

IndieLoser17

arg
« Reply #26 on: 07 Feb 2005, 09:31 »

I think that AFI whines to much....if i wanted to hear that much whining I would find a emo girl and listen to her complain about how hard it is for her! Boo Hoo get over I dont want to pay $18 for a CD that is about how horrible it is to be someone!

Get over it thats all

IndieLoser17

AFI
« Reply #27 on: 07 Feb 2005, 09:33 »

Quote from: ASturge
well, AFI IMMOLATED 99 red balloons. damn phoos

Thats the truth!!!!!!!!!!!

edgar

AFI
« Reply #28 on: 07 Feb 2005, 11:41 »

they were my favorite band for a while. kinda got old.

ill be getting their new album, though.

Rune

AFI
« Reply #29 on: 07 Feb 2005, 14:03 »

$18? I got their newest album for $6 when it came out.

IndieLoser17

AFI
« Reply #30 on: 08 Feb 2005, 11:17 »

You paid $6 for a CD of theres....is it fun to listen to people whine....is that the cool thing now!!!

kid astronaut

AFI
« Reply #31 on: 08 Feb 2005, 14:11 »

man i guess it is just me but i cannot STAND AFI.  something about them grates on me worse than if you took an actual grater and grated me with it.

i mean everyone is entitled to their opinions, and i don't care if a person listens to AFI or not, but if you were to start playing your AFI cd while i was in the room i would probably punch your stereo in the face

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
AFI
« Reply #32 on: 09 Feb 2005, 15:41 »

Quote from: rynne
After Devo covered it, a permanent stop should've been put on covers of “Head Like a Hole.?

This is the truth.

I'd even go as far to say that Devo did "Head like a Hole" better then NIN but that's just my prefrence and opinion.

The only cover I've heard by AFI is "My Michelle" and it's pretty decent.  Havoc is good at matching the shrill voice of Axl Rose.

tomgadd

AFI
« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2005, 03:34 »

AFI butchered a Filth song, Today's Lesson. Terrible terrible choice of covers, even Mr. Havok doesn't have the voice for that.

Nonetheless, Shut Your Mouth is a fab album. Very Proud of Ya and Answer That rock as well.

Black Sails was, for me, a big downgrade. I mean, I came into them from metal firstly, aroud when Black Sails came out. I loved it then. But now, having gone through an extensive punk rawk phase, I prefer the stuff from before my time.

And, for the record, anything post Black Sails is lame-o. I am a music snob when it comes to goth/screamo mixes... Not even kidding.

nothingwitty

AFI
« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2005, 13:30 »

their old stuff was better

/elitest off

tomgadd

AFI
« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2005, 20:45 »

How is liking their old stuff being elitest (sic)?

I mean, I just don't really like anything in the vein of the newer stuff... Never liked the Misfits, Danzig, any of that. Just experiencing a little cognitive dissonance. Can one stop liking a band when they become popular for any reasons other than that they became popular? For instance, would a good reason be that they started to blend things I really dont like into their music, to the extent that I dislike the whole blend?

/rant off

Mnementh

AFI
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2005, 20:58 »

Quote from: rynne

This is the first thing I thought after I read this topic's first post.  I remember when that came out, it got a lot of radio play on WDRE in Philly.  I thought it was hilarious.  You really just can't top it.

Adriana

AFI
« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 2005, 13:03 »

I'm not a huge fan. They are better than a lot of the bands out there now, but that doesn't mean they're anything I'd want to listen to.
-Adriana
Pages: [1]   Go Up