THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel 1602  (Read 6710 times)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Marvel 1602
« on: 21 Jan 2005, 13:10 »

Has anyone read this?

The always inventive Gaiman has concocted an unlikely—but fantastically successful—superhero comic that transfers Marvel's classic characters to the Elizabethan period. Nick Fury is still a lethal government operative, but now he's an adviser to Queen Elizabeth. Her Majesty is equally reliant on magician and doctor Stephen Strange. X-Men mentor Charles Xavier still shepherds a band of mutant teens, only now he's called Carlos Javier, and the mutants are known, and mistrusted, as "witchbreed." Carlos's mysterious nemesis has taken on a new job: grand inquisitor of the Spanish Inquisition.

Tinjessla

Marvel 1602
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:46 »

Unfortunately, no...but i'm mightly intrigued to do so now.

Digs

Marvel 1602
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 16:08 »

I already need two hundred dollars for the rest of the Inu Yasha manga, the library has no copy of Reinventing Comics so's I'll have to buy that too, and now this. Curse your black heart, Ray.

This is the internet, this is the internet sarcasm note.

unknowner

Marvel 1602
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2005, 09:42 »

Read it twice, thought it was a rather clever concept, and executed quite well.   I highly reccomend that you spend an afternoon in the Barnes and Noble reading it...

Seriously, I use that place like my personal library!

synecdoche

Marvel 1602
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2005, 11:13 »

I read it as it came out in the regular issues.  It started out fine but I think Neil needed then again as long a page limit to tell his story-- the pacing felt pretty rushed toward the end.  

I think it is worth the read, yeah, but it isn't Neil's best.  I really think that if he had had 16 issues to work through it it could have been magnificent, but he only had 8.

SeanBateman

Marvel 1602
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2005, 09:07 »

Word. It was by no means a bad comics, and coming from any other creator would have been amazing. From Gaiman however, I have come to expect absoloute perfection, so it was just good. It was bomb what he did with Spider Man though.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Marvel 1602
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2005, 14:45 »

Quote from: Digs
I already need two hundred dollars for the rest of the Inu Yasha manga, the library has no copy of Reinventing Comics so's I'll have to buy that too, and now this. Curse your black heart, Ray.

This is the internet, this is the internet sarcasm note.

Oy vey, Inu Yasha must be more massive then orderin enclyopedias I'd bet.  I feel the burning...burningness to purchase comics.  It is like a siren song of inks and rectangles.

My black heart had a pang of hurt there.  Also if there was a contest for appearing in my signature I'm sure you'd have won by now.

Digs

Marvel 1602
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2005, 19:44 »

Let us compare. Seven point five bucks per book, twenty books so far. I have five already. Once I purchase as many as I can, I'll have spent over $150 on a single series without actually finishing it. I think they're to the bit where Koga comes in and is a jerk.

Encyclopedia Britannica is doing a sale right now, so the print set is at $995.00. The normal price is about 1.3k. By buying a pile of Inu Yasha manga, I am forsaking the chance to own 11.538-15.075% of a set of encyclopedias. Argh.

More fun math with Rumiko Takahashi, the Inu Yasha DVDs have three shows  apiece, and are MSRP approximately $30. The series ran for a mighty six seasons and a whopping one-hundred and sixty-seven episodes. To purchase Every Single Episode you are expected to shell out fully $1600, more in fact. I am kind of shooting from the belt mathematically, but it sounds about right. I'm just gonna have to pass on that one, miss Rumi'. I like you and all, but...really.

thedreamisgone

Marvel 1602
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2005, 22:50 »

my comic snob friends say 1602 sucked.

i hear otherwise from a bunch of people but i tend to trust these guys.

i like gaimain, but the art in those books looks awful and i'm told the story's a joke.  like gaiman really wanted a new toaster so he pumped it out.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Marvel 1602
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:17 »

I like the concept of it quite a bit.  I don't remember who does the art or how frequently the artist changes either.  I'd check it out though still.  If I could afford to.

Quote from: Digs
lots of math

Hmm, that is a massive series, tewnty books and not near finished.  At least it isn't a series by Akira Toriyama.  The only condolence I can offer is at least you will have better luck finding the Britannica at the library.  Oh no though, is it as alot of libraries with a no check out on refrence materials?

I have not been able to get into Inu Yasha but that is more problems with my schedule and when I do manage to watch it the episodes I see are in completly different parts.

Suburban Post-Modernist

Marvel 1602
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2005, 18:15 »

I read the first few issues then got bored with it.  Interesting concept, mediocre execution.

I reomend Gaiman's old Sandman comic.  The whole run is good if you plan on reading all 2000 pages, but if not, I'd suggest getting either book 4,5,6, or 7.

Conatonc

« Reply #11 on: 05 Feb 2005, 20:02 »

I thought it was a really well-done alternate universe take on the Marvel Universe as it would be in 1602. Then the last couple of issues were dragged down as Gaiman tried to force the story into the mainstream Marvel continuity. Which was completely unnecessary. Still, I liked it a lot overall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up