THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sleeper hits.  (Read 17699 times)

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Sleeper hits.
« on: 21 Jan 2005, 17:51 »

the only real ones i know of are illusion of gaia (snes) and star tropics (nes)

edit: these are games youve tested and found them to be excellent despite little fanfare, not ones youve just heard of :P

Jiperly

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 21:40 »

Giants:Citizen Kabuto

It had amazing multiplayer and a good single player story.

Kjammer

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 22:06 »

Total Annihilation

An RTS with so many possibilities, and more true to life combat.  I'm still somewhat disgruntled that it was beaten to a bloody pulp by Starcraft.  I mean c'mon, combat (other than site) isn't affectd by terrain elevation in SC.    And TA didn't use use (they didn't need to) quirky characters for their units, SC is a kiddy game compared to TA.  I still play it and I still love it.

Edit: If you don't know what this game is or if you want to see why I love it, look at this site.

Hoborg

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2005, 02:34 »

The Neverhood.

Ohhh man, The Neverhood.

Deformagraphy

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2005, 03:01 »

Prince of Persia:  The Sands of Time

The first new one, not the second abomination.

(edit: typo, cause I'm gay)

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Sleeper hits.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2005, 20:38 »

Quote from: Deformagraphy

uh isnt that already on/set to make the greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice?

Jiperly

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2005, 21:11 »

dude, sleeper hits means games that were unpopular, but excellent games.

Like Sacrifice.

Uther

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2005, 22:04 »

I'll second Sacrifice.  Another big favorite of mine was Drakan: Order of the Flame.  I loved the game's atmosphere, and both the land-based and dragon-back action was great fun.

KID

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2005, 22:08 »

reminds me of Drakengard, another good game with little respect.
you rode dragons and had a little special move i liked to call 'the burninator' where you set fire to the whole screen. you could also get off the dragon, and there were some high-flying levels.
damn it was fun

Deformagraphy

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2005, 22:27 »

Quote from: will: wanton sex god

uh isnt that already on/set to make the greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice?

You do understand Prince of Persia has been around since 1990, right?  I said "new" because it's a different version of the same series, and the second new version that just came out is a abomination.  

Don't take it personal.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Sleeper hits.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2005, 22:48 »

You do understand Prince of Persia has been around since 1990, right?  I said "new" because it's a different version of the same series, and the second new version that just came out is a abomination.  

Don't take it personal.

right, i understood that...
what im saying is a sleeper hit is a game that was great but nobody played.

pop:sot had PLENTY of people playing it, which is why i said isnt it(going to be) a platinum hit/players choice/greatest hit...meaning since it sold that many copies it would not be a sleeper hit, as it would obviously be popular

and yes, im aware of the first prince of persia game...i played the hell out of but never got very far.

Jiperly

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2005, 23:42 »

Also, the Oringial Prince of Persia and Prince of Perisa 2 were big hits.

Prince of Persia 3D wasn't cause it sucked balls, and Sands of Time fixed all that.

So yea- Prince of Persia is NOT a sleeper hit.

Deformagraphy

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2005, 00:03 »

right, i understood that...

pop:sot had PLENTY of people playing it, which is why i said isnt it(going to be) a platinum hit/players choice/greatest hit...meaning since it sold that many copies it would not be a sleeper hit, as it would obviously be popular

and yes, im aware of the first prince of persia game...i played the hell out of but never got very far.

Oh, I gotcha.  Sorry, forgive my mental capabilities tonight.  I'm a little over excited about a few things, but ... just because a game gets called a players choice or greatest hit doesn't mean it was popular or made money.  That game barely broke even for Ubisoft Montreal.  I think they're just doing that to lower the price and gain more sales.

Otherwise, I gave up on playing the first POP because it pissed me off so much.

AbsolootGeek

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2005, 00:14 »

Skies of Arcadia is a great game.  it came out originally for the Dreamcast, but i had never even heard of it until i got the Legends version for Gamecube.  any rpg that has airship battles as a core element is awesome in my book.

Kjammer

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2005, 02:04 »

Quote from: AbsolootGeek
[See above post]

When Skies of Arcadia came out, plenty of people including me, and at least 200 people on each of three forums, played and loved it.

sorry AbsolootGeek, you want the Best Game Ever thread.  I wouldn't count it as a sleeper hit in my book.

kikanjuuneko

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2005, 02:45 »

Quote from: Jiperly
Giants:Citizen Kabuto

It had amazing multiplayer and a good single player story.

Although the networking code itself was pretty useless. I remember all kinds of crazy shit going on when we tried to play it on a LAN.

I do however second Sacrifice.

AbsolootGeek

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2005, 11:16 »

Quote from: Kjammer
sorry AbsolootGeek, you want the Best Game Ever thread.  I wouldn't count it as a sleeper hit in my book.

i had never heard of the game until it was reissued on a completely different system.  maybe it doesn't count a sleeper hit in your book, but for me personally, it's definitely a sleeper hit.

unknowner

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2005, 11:23 »

One word: REZ.

~U
....*happy techno shooter music*

nihilist

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2005, 11:47 »

Armies of Exigo.  Fucking awesome RTS.

Vampire - Bloodlines is also excellent, though I'm not sure about the sales numbers for it.

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
Sleeper hits.
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2005, 18:28 »

Beyond Good and Evil (for Gamecube)
Great storyline, with lots of twists and turns and a surprise ending.
Saying sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose

Finding Emo

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2005, 18:44 »

Silver, for PC.
Nice little RPG, with an original control system; basically the way you swing the mouse decides on the attack used, so swift push up makes you lunge for example.
Had a nice little story, with characters that you almost cared about.
The backgrounds were all pre-rendered beautfully.
Not very popular, but I loved it, and still do.

Malphas

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2005, 22:42 »

Bleh, drakengard was terrible.  Suikoden 2 is definately my pick.

Phrozen

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2005, 01:43 »

The Longest Journey: Coolest puzzle game I ever played, awesome voice acting, awesome story, amazing soundtrack and beautiful artwork. It got ignored largely because of dated graphics. Syberia I and II are also lumped with this game and reasonably so, I played a bit of Syberia and it looked like it was fun but never finished it.

Oni: I loved this game so hard, great fighting system and cool 3d platformer action.

torg

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2005, 01:58 »

Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Z

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Sleeper hits.
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2005, 12:19 »

So by that defination perhaps Katamari Damacy?  And maybe the progression of both Jax and Ratchet and Clank series.  They seemed to start off as average games but with the recent releases have gained quite a bit more critical acclaim.

torg

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jan 2005, 13:11 »

i guess 'tetris' is the ultimate sleeper game....

Jiperly

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #26 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:25 »

Oh yea- i just remembered- i've been playing sleeper hits lately....

ET and Beyond Good and Evil

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Sleeper hits.
« Reply #27 on: 07 Feb 2005, 16:03 »

I was going to say 'Grim Fandango' until I read that definition above. Spoilsport.

Still, all of you go out and get Grim Fandango. it rocks your socks.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

zzyzx

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #28 on: 07 Feb 2005, 18:30 »

Arcanum, Vampire, Ground Control II, Homeworld I & II, Skies of Arcadia, rez (in it's niche group of fans, I guess).

Finding Emo

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #29 on: 07 Feb 2005, 18:36 »

Quote from: Kai
I was going to say 'Grim Fandango' until I read that definition above. Spoilsport.

Still, all of you go out and get Grim Fandango. it rocks your socks.

I already posted about Grim Fandango, before that definition was revealed.
'Tis a golden classic.

painQuin

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #30 on: 08 Feb 2005, 13:49 »

that definition names "Highlander" as a cult classic...
I was under the impression that Highlander was set to be pretty big from the start
it's got sean connery. it's impossible to have a movie with sean connery that isn't getting publicity
I won't make a call on if this kills the site's reliability, I'm just pointing it out.

Evil Dead ... now that's a cult classic.

edit:
oh right on topic
I don't actually watch tv ( o.O I know) so I don't know if the games I play have any fanfare associated with them...
there are some great games I've played that I know didn't get any fanfare because they were done by friends with no actual advertising... Qake is one such game, actually still being worked on, basically a side-scrolling version of the original Quake
http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/qake/ I think...
edited-edit: he appears to have put up an index page, it used to be a directory listing. check back in a few days...

and there's a game I'm working on myself, but to avoid excessive self-pimping I won't link to it unless someone asks

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Sleeper hits.
« Reply #31 on: 08 Feb 2005, 14:52 »

I love fan made project things. I think someone made a 2D doom and I know someone remade Quake, Quake 2, and Unreal Tournament in ASCII. Someone also made a version of Quake 1 and 2 for 3D glasses.

http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/
http://icculus.org/~chunky/ut/aaut/
http://www.jfedor.org/aaquake2/

3D glasses:
http://www.jfedor.org/red-blue-quake2/
http://home.iprimus.com.au/crbean/
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Rauko

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #32 on: 08 Feb 2005, 19:35 »

Sleeper hits?  Defintaly Katamari Damacy and Kung Fu Chaos.  I wouldn't put Vampire: Bloodlines on the list, b/c is kind of the opposite of a sleeper hit.  It was supposed to be amazing, but because of bug issues people either ignored it or jsut tossed it aside.  Though it really is one of my favorite games of all time.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Sleeper hits.
« Reply #33 on: 09 Feb 2005, 11:05 »

Oni: I loved this game so hard, great fighting system and cool 3d platformer action.

I am going to have to second that, a truly great game :)
And it even had a decent story...that`s kind of scary when youe  think of all the bullshit, they sell as "action" games nowdays..
Pages: [1]   Go Up