Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 06:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trail of dead - worlds apart  (Read 4205 times)

kilconey

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
trail of dead - worlds apart
« on: 26 Jan 2005, 09:35 »

i'm not sure how many trail of dead fans are on here (if any) so i'm not sure if this post will die on its ass or not.  but whatever...
trial of dead's new album "worlds apart" came out yesterday.  anybody else here buy it then too, like me?  i love this band so much, they continue to amaze me.  tell me if you agree.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

Spencer

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 09:37 »

Trail of Dead is a tremendous band. They make great music (especially the Sonoc Youth-esque stuff).

But I just can't get into them for the life of me. It's weird. I like their music. I just can't listen to it.

This pains me. But it is for this reason I have passed on the new record. Cause I know i'll love it, and I know i'll never listen to it.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:17 »

They're not a bad band, but Soure Tags & Codes was vastly overrated. Judging by the critical response Worlds Apart is getting, I doubt I'll be picking it up.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Psiogen

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:45 »

Source Tags & Codes is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Near-perfect.

Worlds Apart doesn't really even try to equal it...it's just a fun rock album. Didn't deserve its drubbing in Pitchfork, nor its "best ToD album yet!" accolades from other quarters.

Hoborg

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2005, 15:03 »

The first few and last few tracks of "Source Tags & Codes" are some of the most amazing rock songs I've ever heard. The stuff in the middle was just OK, though. I had high expectations for the new album, but again I think its some really awesome songs scattered about some kind of mediocre ones.

Slow Hands

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2005, 20:42 »

I thought it was good, but Source Tags is so hard to exceed in sheer talent... I didn't like the new guitar sound, though. Too processed on some tracks, perhaps?

kilconey

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2005, 10:06 »

the general consensus of everyone i've talked to: it's a good record if you're already into the band but it's not as good as Source Tags & Codes.  if you already don't like them, you still won't.

of course i agree; it would take a lot for any album, ever to beat ST&C for me.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2005, 13:08 »

See, I have been reading the reviews, and I want to hear this album now, mostly on the basis of "It cannot be THAT bad."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Suburban Post-Modernist

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2005, 22:02 »

Soure Tags & Codes was "meh".  Only a few good tracks.  I won't be getting the next album.

Hoborg

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2005, 03:28 »

Worlds Apart
New LP
3ForestForest
Tap: Worlds Apart deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player
3/5

(man, stupid friggin Parental Advisory warnings.. such an awesome album design with that ugly-ass sticker forced to be on it)

loyalpeon

• Balloon animal serial killer
magic
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2005, 03:29 »

correct me if i'm wrong - but green doesn't really have much pinging going it's way does it? plus, 'trail of dead' in itself feels a little redder. with that in mind 3MountainMountain might be more appropriate :)

as to the conversation at hand, I... have... no... point of view.
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2005, 22:11 »

Sorry to ressurect the deadest of threads, but I love this album. The critical response is not to be believed, especially Pitchfork's totally unjustified 4/10. Incredible composition, soaring melodies, crazy orchestration (<3 timpani rolls). Worlds Apart is great, my friends.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

FfaMat

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2005, 22:35 »

trail of dead is one of those bands i found out due to mu indie love.  mogwai mentioned them on their old site and i caught a few of their tracks only to become obsessed for a few weeks for their work.  i did get the new album and i have to say it was most excellent.  totally, a worthwhile investment.

SECProto

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2005, 11:52 »

I must say, ive listened to some music by them, and i didnt like it at all. too intense or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up