THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What level creatures do you tend to fight ?

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: 26 Jan 2005, 09:58

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WoW: What sort of player are you ?  (Read 11499 times)

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
WoW: What sort of player are you ?
« on: 26 Jan 2005, 09:58 »

Just curious how you all play the game...

In my guild I have seen all the sorts I have in the poll.  Some of us are totally gung-ho and go after the biggest beasts we can take, others of us stick to the status-quo and fight stuf at, or near our level, then others of us are so frightened of dying that we never fight anything unless it is green/grey for us.

Me ?  I am always challenging my abilites and fighting the biggest, baddest stuff I can find. (Hence my going to Felwood at Level 46 when there is nothing in that zone lower than Lvl 50)

I almost feel sorry for those people in my guild who are afraid of dying in this game... I mean, how do you have fun with it when you KNOW you won't die ?  The consequences of dying in this game aren't dire at all.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:03 »

I generally fight stuff that's between two levels below and three above my current level. I'll occasionally solo an elite at or slightly below my level, and often come out on top.

In terms of playing style, I spend far more time soloing than I do in groups. Some of my best playing experience have been in groups with my guild, but I just don't have the time to spend four hours playing every night.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Whorhay

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:10 »

Dying isn't so much hurtfull as it is just annoying and a waste of time and money. I mainly don't kill much unless I need to for a quest or the mob is just in my way while traveling or mining. So I am sometimes fighting stuff over my level and other times I am doing a quest that I let go green and so the mobs are way lower level.

For those interested in leveling quickly though the best bet is to grind on mobs that are green to you and to not bother with quests at all unless you want a specific reward from it. You can easily kill for more exp against greens than higher cons even without dying.

My one complaint about killing higher level stuff is that the mob resists and such don't scale evenly at all. I don't recall what level my hunter was when I was killing the Naga's in STV but the difference between a level 44 and 43 was rediculous. I could easily dispatch a 43 in around 15 seconds while the 44's took more like 30 seconds and the exp difference was negligible. Seriously though if some one wants a challenge and thrill try playing whatever the weakest solo class is and only kill oranges and reds or something, playing a rogue is hardly making a challenge of the game :)

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:41 »

A friend of mine is just about to hit 40 with his Druid and constantly complaining about how tough it is to solo in anything but his cat form.

After analysing how he fights I ask him "When you are soloing, why don't you root the guys so they can't get near you ?  He says because his ranged spells and such aren't powerful enough, and that he only gets a couple off before he runs out of mana, then the enemy comes and trounces him...  I watched him play it and asked the question "Why are you not using bandages when you root them ?"  He replies "Because I am a healer, I can heal myself with a spell, I don't need bandages."

Sheesh, there is so much strategy people are missing in this game.  If he would root them and bandage, not only will he not SPEND the mana healing himself, he will GAIN mana while waiting for his bandage !  When I told him that the look on his face was nothing short of epiphany.  Here I am I already know my first 5 to 6 moves I do depending on what I am fighting, and use every energy point to it's fullest, and he doesn't even think "How can I save mana ?"... This is why he is always stuck fighting stuff 2-4 levels below him.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:57 »

Try playing in a group with people who have no idea what rogues' Sap ability is for.

"What do you mean we only fight them one at a time?!"
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Whorhay

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:08 »

Good god I hate it when I poly something and it is instantly attacked by someone in the group.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:40 »

Yeah, I make it a point to find out what my guildmates are doing when we group, seeing what spells they cast for what situations, and devise stratagems to use them with my class.  Finally, at levels 45-52 our group is getting really good at knowing everyone's roles.

It is actually really funny, now when I am in a group of random people I formed with the LFG channel in a city, I will tell them stuff like "Hey, you, Warlock.  I need you to cast your Soul Stone on the person in the party who is capable of ressurection, so we ALL can come back alive, rather than just you... and I need you to go nuts collecting shards so you can hand us all Health Stones... oh, and use your curse of Recklessness to keep these guys from running away and grabbing more enemies."  Then I will tell the Paladin which Aura to use to benefeit the entire party, instead of using an aura just for him and his mana, and I will dictate which enemy I will sap and who is to aggro which enemy off of me and such... makes battles go soooo much smoother.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:39 »

haeze: hah.  i used to try that in FFXI, and it would usually be followed by "hey, i know how to play my clas[wipe-out]".

i picked the 1-2 level thing, because on my current main (Mage) i basically can not take anything higher than that, because the resists are fucking insane.  

on my rogue, however, i take on bigger and badder things until i get stomped.  then i know my limits.  took on a lvl 20 troog at lvl 16 and won the other day :D  if it was a beast then i would have died, but being a humanoid, it got scared and ran when i only had a sliver of health left & i stabby-stabbed him as he went.
Pages: [1]   Go Up