THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Helpful Criticism please.  (Read 6986 times)

Coreh

• Obscure cultural reference
Helpful Criticism please.
« on: 26 Jan 2005, 16:53 »

I draw stuff for friends at school when I'm bored. Recently I started drawing a little robot, I like the way it came out, but I think it could be better. Mainly I'm looking for new ways to draw the legs. They just look awkward the way they are. But if you see anything that could be better, just let me know how it could be better.

Here's the link to the image. Note that I had to draw it on MSPaint so it's not the best quality, he looks better on paper with pencil.
http://img153.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img153&image=robotconceptdrawing3lk.png

Please help me. :)

vampire duck

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:07 »

It's a cool design, but it could use something on the torso, maybe, like a symbol or an ice dispenser, and the leg problem could be fixed by giving it four spider-legs or something else of the ass-kicking variety.  He/she/it sort of reminds me of Pintsize meets White Ninja, but maybe that's just the MSPaint effect.  Keep up the good work!

Coreh

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:22 »

I thought about putting the thing that pintsize has on his torso. But stealing someone else's idea is no fun.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2005, 08:50 »

The torso is so big and devoid of detail that it holds too much weight in the picture.  If you reduced it's size, or broke up the bifg white area it creates it would look a lot better.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Coreh

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2005, 10:17 »

Thanks for your help everybody. I just learned how to shade the other day. So he looks better, but I can't shade on a computer.

lb969

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2005, 15:06 »

you can do really cool things with MSpaint...

just practice, and take your time....

Jiperly

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2005, 16:26 »

it certainly is....simplistic.....

honestly, it looks like a mini-Bender with a different head...

Cave Monster

« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2005, 15:01 »

I think your problem with the legs is the feet. The legs themselves are the same as the arms- universal symbols for metal, ridged,tubey things. The feet arn't any particular three dimensional shape at all so he ends up going all blobby. Pick a very specific 3-d shape for you feet and then you can draw it just as loosely as the rest as long as you give us a clue what's going on spatially.

Bezman

« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2005, 16:27 »

Quote from: Cave Monster
I think your problem with the legs is the feet. The legs themselves are the same as the arms- universal symbols for metal, ridged,tubey things. The feet arn't any particular three dimensional shape at all so he ends up going all blobby. Pick a very specific 3-d shape for you feet and then you can draw it just as loosely as the rest as long as you give us a clue what's going on spatially.

The man talks sense. The feet don't look as 'robotic' as the rest at all imo. Try maybe a sort of half-sphere shape or something.

Or maybe go in another direction with wheels or spider legs as previously mentioned.

Also, curve the bottom of the body so it looks more like a cylinder, which I presume is what you're trying to get across.

Btw, he reminds me a bit of klango.

Coreh

« Reply #9 on: 03 Feb 2005, 17:52 »

I FINALLY got a scanner. I just drew some concepts of him. Two with spider legs and one with a hover thingies.

Here they are.

http://img223.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img223&image=robotconcepts2pp.jpg

Digs

« Reply #10 on: 03 Feb 2005, 17:59 »

The spider legs are neat. There shouldn't be any need to communicate floatery, it is pretty clear that it is a floating-type robot.

lost in storm

« Reply #11 on: 05 Feb 2005, 11:26 »

I think the spider legs pretty much offset any resemblance to other robots. If you keep the eyes to the sides of the head, use another design for the hands and drive, he can be pretty much original (although few things really are nowadays).

Maybe he's a spider nanobot. Fending off viruses. With spinnerettes and stuff. :)

Coreh

« Reply #12 on: 05 Feb 2005, 16:00 »

I decided to go for a more.. original approach. I think I went too far with the fight bot thing.

http://img215.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img215&image=roboupraded5yz.jpg
GENOCIDEBOT 2000!

tedzsee

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.lucastds.com/webcomic
« Reply #13 on: 05 Feb 2005, 22:13 »

i actually like the ms paint one the best. the thick lines give it definition.

Maybe on your drawings you want to thicken the lines up?

Also, work on making your pen line smooth instead of broken.
8 1/2 by ELEVEN, a webcomic about you by Lucas TdS.  Updates every weekday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up