THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.  (Read 10557 times)

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« on: 26 Jan 2005, 21:21 »

I have been drawing a lot of robots lately. I have a hard time taking them from notebook paper to finished product, but it's because I'm too poor for a WACOM. Critique, enjoy, COWER IN FEAR. The only rule is, don't compare me to Sam Brown or anything Explodingdog. I get that shit so much it isn't funny.

c1utch

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 21:40 »

I find him (her, it?) humerous, i dunno why.  maybe its the personality i envision him having

curiously destructive.  

i like it.  especially hte third one

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 21:46 »

I should have mentioned, once I am done with the series, it will be a short story about twin robots trying to find a heart. The non-winged one obviously has the wrong idea about how it works.

There will probably be one or two more tomorrow.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2005, 01:40 »

well, the reason you get compared to explodingdog is because the robots look exactly the same.  other than that, the style itself is dissimilar, although the surreal feel is fairly close, too.  i'm guessing that most people just look at the robots and say "LOLZ U  R COPY EXPLODINGDOG".

but yeah, they look pretty good.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2005, 08:34 »

Good paintings, but I have to agree that the robots themselves look an awful lot like R.R.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2005, 11:26 »

I'm willing to admit that the robots are pretty similar. I'd just rather people came and tried to talk about something besides "GRAY ROBOT? MORE LEIK RED ROBAT!!1" I guess thats the breaks, though. Pages one through five are now comeplete, for the most part. 6-12 are coming up next.

Digs

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2005, 14:43 »

Wonderful!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2005, 14:46 »

I'd like to say that isn't Red Robot and quite a few robots losely based around B movie mechanical life form?  Also the whole murder all human things it self seems to also be a pretty common b movie sci-fi theme of machines run amok.  

I'd take it with a grain of salt dude.  It looks awesome and sounds interesting. What are using to do this?

Stifled Dreams

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2005, 15:07 »

Hmm. Are you looking for an honest art critique? If so, I can probably give you a few tips to help tighten it up.

I really do like them, though - I'd say the second one is the strongest.

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2005, 15:09 »

It's not terribly complicated, I take digital photos of my notebook paper drawings and concepts, import them into photoshop 7 and pretty much just use them as a base. I work in semi-opaque colors for the sake of seeing the base image, and then when I'm done I lay a white background under everything. I kind of wish I had a scanner and a Wacom, but I'm pretty poor. Maybe when I'm done with this book I can sell it and get the cashes.

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2005, 15:12 »

And any advice you can give is greatly appreciated, I've been cranking these out in an hour each, tops, so they probably aren't the best I can do. This is my first real effort at doing anything actually artful in photoshop, of course once I finish the series I plan on hand painting them.

Stifled Dreams

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2005, 15:23 »

Ah yes, the elusive wacom - I got myself one after finals last year as a prize for not losing my mind.

Anyways, these, as I said before, are good, but they have even more potentail. Unless you are going for a very vague look (which is a matter of preference), you should try to sharpen up the detail. In the second picture, I was drawn to the heart because it gave me a lot to look at, which I liked a lot. Also, when you are coloring, the best thing to do is to lay out a neutral color instead of white as a background, if you don't already. That white is scary, yo.

Hrm, I think that is all I can contribute. Sorry if it wasn't particularly useful; I'm not sure what you are going for. That said, though, I think that painting these (with acryllics?) would make them very, very cool. I like traditional media a lot.

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2005, 17:17 »

thanks for the advice, i will be going back and doing more detailed things - right now i just need to get them out of my head before i forget them.

Two more -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Ponifa/robohunger1.jpg">
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Ponifa/Robobolt1.jpg">

Digs

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2005, 17:24 »

It is so sad.

Finding Emo

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2005, 12:20 »

Reminds me of the Animatrix, but, the Children's Television version or something.

torg

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2005, 13:12 »

i like the style...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2005, 16:11 »

Nice work. I especially like the 2nd and third ones, for some odd reason.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Cave Monster

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #17 on: 01 Feb 2005, 15:05 »

Since we're on robots...
I wouldn't ordinarily post this here since it's fan art for another comic, but this could be a robot jamboree!

http://www.cavemonster.4t.com/images/emotibot.jpg">

Emotibot from Beaver and Steve

Jamoky

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2005, 20:34 »

emotional robocore?
heh.

if I get my scanner back I'll show you guys some of my "MC-Escher Robots," as my friend calls them.

ponifa

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2005, 22:23 »

emotional robocore? i sense a new hipster genre in the works. time to get my guitar out and break some ground.

Cave Monster

Escher
« Reply #20 on: 04 Feb 2005, 18:22 »

Dude, yeah! Bring out the Escher bots Jamoky. I might post another one too. I love drawing robots, but I've vowed to have none in my comic since there's so much robot representation in webcomics.

lost in storm

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #21 on: 05 Feb 2005, 11:12 »

I agree. The second one is strongest. I will risk the obvious by saying on first impression it recalled the feeling in that infamous scene from End of Evangelion, which would also dovetail with the carnage in the other panels. :)

tedzsee

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.lucastds.com/webcomic
ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #22 on: 05 Feb 2005, 22:23 »

that emotibot painting is beautiful. it should be on a t-shirt. even if it isn't the 'official' version
8 1/2 by ELEVEN, a webcomic about you by Lucas TdS.  Updates every weekday.

Sweet Nuthin

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #23 on: 06 Feb 2005, 19:14 »

Look at all these robots!  I love them all.

Tell me what the title of your book is going to be, because I want it.  It's just so...beautiful...

nothingwitty

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2005, 20:56 »

I keep clicking this thread for more pastelly robot pics.  Especially the naive, confused one with all the blood....

I likes him

MORE ROBOTS; DO IT NOW!

mysceneiscooler

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #25 on: 18 Feb 2005, 21:58 »

Robots are pretty popular now, eh?  I like the art, truly. The lightning picture makes me happy.

ASturge

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2005, 11:52 »

yeah, the lightning one is very good

mysceneiscooler

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2005, 11:42 »

Quote from: Cave Monster
Since we're on robots...
I wouldn't ordinarily post this here since it's fan art for another comic, but this could be a robot jamboree!

Emotibot from Beaver and Steve

"Emotibot" made me think.."Emo Tie-bot?"

Jamoky

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2005, 20:43 »

sweet tie.

and robot.

mysceneiscooler

ROBOTSROBOTSROBOTS.
« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2005, 19:56 »

many thanks. ^,^
Pages: [1]   Go Up