Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 06:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i'm looking for something; can you help me?  (Read 11531 times)

kapsha

i'm looking for something; can you help me?
« on: 27 Jan 2005, 17:43 »

i need some slower, more romantic-style music, however i am at a loss as to where to look for such music. i was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for artists with a more romantic-style to their lyrics and music?

Naya

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2005, 18:05 »

mhmmmmhmhmm

i have no idea....

Samedi

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2005, 18:31 »

How slow? Is this romantic evening spent snuggled together watching the stars, more of background music for conversation and whatnot, makeout music, etc?

Craig Armstrong's "The Space Between Us" album is wonderful for relaxed intimacy, but it is fairly slow and a bit heavy (used to describe emotional content, not its metalness. It is very much not metal). Any of the light electronic bands like Hanalei, The Album Leaf, etc are also pretty good for similar settings, but with an overall lighter feel to it.

For something more playful, Stella Soleil's "Dirty Little Secret" is good. It is ridiculously dancy and though I am sometimes embarassed to admit owning a copy, it is dance pop done well. De/Vision does awesome stuff, though they have more songs that are slightly less than happy (Heart-Shaped Tumor, etc). The song One Day At A Time by Client is wonderful for a purely happy and looking forward to the future tone. Somegirl does pretty sexy music, the song Some Girl in particular is aural sex.

Though a lot of it depends on the other person and their attitudes and musical tastes. Personally, I think Rob Dougan's "Furious Angels" sets a good mood, but I like things a bit of roughness and dark to them.

swordskill

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2005, 19:33 »

Explosions in the Sky, that does it for me. ;-)

Samedi

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2005, 20:07 »

Without a doubt the most romantic band has got to be Anal Cunt. A definite hit with the ladies.

El Opium

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2005, 20:32 »

I've always dreamed of using Slowdive's Pygmalion album as romantic music.

swordskill

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2005, 20:47 »

Quote from: Samedi
Without a doubt the most romantic band has got to be Anal Cunt. A definite hit with the ladies.

As you can see, the name itself has even got me turned on. romantic style

Suburban Post-Modernist

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2005, 22:04 »

Air and Sigur Ros.  European bands rule in terms of sonic sensuality.

Samedi

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2005, 22:40 »

Pygmalion would be rather nice, I agree. Also, Michal's album "Sky With Stars" would be good. Alternates between slower and quicker songs, with a general 'good' feel throughout. Plus, her voice is quite lovely.

Hoborg

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2005, 02:55 »

I think Portishead is the sexiest music ever written. Especially the song "All Mine". Oh man.

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2005, 03:07 »

If you can get hold of a copy of Halos 'Lunatic Ride' album, that's really good at alternating between romantic, sexy and downright dirty... My current pick on the romantic album front would probably be Final Straw by Snow Patrol, or Mercury by Longview... Snow Patrol is more kinda realistic, bouncy but pretty, and swooshy... While Longview is kinda rose-coloured glasses ethereal swoonsome....

Tinjessla

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2005, 05:18 »

The Dears have some very romantic songs, i.e. 'Never Destroy Us' and 'We Can Have It'. You may find yourself crying when 'We Can Have It' starts to build up into a sweeping epic of a love song. Just let it aaall out.

Quote from: Suburban Post-Modernist
Air and Sigur Ros.  European bands rule in terms of sonic sensuality.

This is true. Air's songs are just filled to the brim with sexyness. 'Cherry Blossom Girl' is one of them.

Edit: Bjork too! Oh man, how could i have ever forgotten the queen of achingly beautiful love songs.

kilconey

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2005, 12:58 »

Quote from: Hoborg
I think Portishead is the sexiest music ever written. Especially the song "All Mine". Oh man.

i was thinking the same thing.  something about that electronic-whatever they do is just yummy.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2005, 11:22 »

well, let's see here...

check out Esthero, most definitely.  
what else?  Bloodwire are really good, and you can dowload four or five tracks right from their website.  also, a christ analogue side project, Atomica, is just about perfect.  they've a portishead-ian sort of sound, though slower and centered around love songs.  only three tracks right now, but they can be downloaded from their website too.  check out the track "Delorian", it may be the sort of thing you're looking for.

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2005, 11:45 »

Ditto for a lot of trip-hop.  Morcheeba's Who Can You Trust is a good sexin' album.  Or the first couple Lamb discs.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

ComfortEagle

• Curry sauce
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2005, 11:46 »

the cure is usually good in this situation

The Thief

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2005, 15:45 »

Iron & Wine, anyone?

Kai

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2005, 16:05 »

Whoever said Air, kudos to you. That's the first thing I came up with, so.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2005, 19:43 »

Quote from: ComfortEagle
the cure is usually good in this situation

It has also been known to have an adverse effect on the "romantic" "mood" though sadly...

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jan 2005, 19:47 »

Dirty fucking music on a par with QOTSA and Led Zep... Good stuff...

muffy

• The Tickler
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2005, 19:52 »

Or Graytrain, 'sippin'40z
...but yup, you can't go wrong with a spot of 'diddle my skittle', 'hot rod' or that ole' time romantic classic 'fuck the pain away'...
Who says romance isn't dead?

Samedi

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2005, 20:02 »

Oh, Peaches. Few things better for the sexin', but somewhat lacking in the "romantic" aspect. Well, to most people anyway.

nothingwitty

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2005, 02:02 »

The Twilight Singer's first album, "Twilight as Played by..."

Not the second one though, for it is all about suicide.

...or the third one, because it's about unrequited love.

But the first one?  Oh man, hot shit right there....  oh yes.  You must have it.  Mmm, I'm getting all hot just thinking about it.  Christ, look at the name - The Twilight Singers.  It's hot.  They have a song called "Love".   I'm tellin' ya... it's hot.

Okay, I'm drunk.... but seriously, get it...

aekastar

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2005, 03:31 »

Quote from: nothingwitty
The Twilight Singer's first album, "Twilight as Played by..."

I agree.. I was going to suggest this.. of course, it was weird playing 'King Only' during an emotional moment... the whole 'don't love me anymore' line was sort've sad (perhaps foreshadowing since bad stuff happened after that night).  but yes, it is a pretty hot album

Also, Jesus and Mary Chain works for the hot factor... I dunno about romance though.  of course, I only own two albums.. 'Automatic' is tops.

Some of Gonzales' Solo Piano album is good for slow dancing at parts.. like the song 'armelodie'

Ella Guru.. the song 'blues is in the root' works.. sounds like it would be sad, but it is quite romantic to me.

Múm... 'the ghosts you draw on my back'... maybe some other stuff by them as well, but this was a particular favourite.

I agree with Sigur Rós though I once was practicing making out with a friend of mine a couple years ago and put this on and he wasn't too into it which broke the mood a bit then he fell asleep :\

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2005, 11:57 »

I was just made to think by the mention of Jesus and Mary Chain, BRMC are quite good for hawt and heaviness as well...

On the super romance tip if you can get hold of the Here's How It Is EP by Jodie Jones, it's just perfect... Particularly the song "It's Like Love" it's perfect for being all coupley and perfect for crying to if your a singleton nd having a Bridget Jones moment... In fact I recommend everyone buys this EP due to its sheer sweet perfectness (although it's not for people who can't be dealing with acousticy folky stuff)

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #25 on: 01 Feb 2005, 11:21 »

Air
Enigma
Cocteau Twins (but only some of it)
Loreena McKennitt
Mazzy Star (again, only some of it)
Greame Revell
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Empty Friend

« Reply #26 on: 09 Feb 2005, 23:37 »

Portishead for making out? The music itself maybe... but cripes, the lyrics to 'All Mine' are friggin creepy.  Or was that the point and I missted the ironitude? (woot, 2 made up words in one sentence) Some of Zero 7's music is good for the making of kissy depending on her/his tastes.  ~E

mAlice aforeThought

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2005, 03:18 »

half ov projekt's catalogue; especially black tape for a blue girl, love spirals downwards, and unto ashes.  ov course, that last öne may just be because i have a penchant for medieval-goth girls.

Vertical Stripes

Re: i'm looking for something; can you help me?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2005, 07:40 »

Quote from: kapsha
i need some slower, more romantic-style music, however i am at a loss as to where to look for such music. i was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for artists with a more romantic-style to their lyrics and music?

Norah Jones!  She's a canadian blues/jazz musician and her stuff is 100% lovely.  It's very smooth, laid-back, classy-sounding stuff, and most of the songs are about romance.

The album is called "Come Away With Me"

And if you're asking this because you need to impress a girl, John Mayer.  He's like the When Harry Met Sally of music.

I like the way he plays guitar, as it's also very bluesy/jazzy most of the time.  The way he sings kinda drives me nuts, because he has a very wispy, nice voice, but the vocals are almost always exactly the same song-by-song.

Anyway, most chicks dig him and think that boys who like John Mayer are very sensitive, poetic types.  (OH if only they knew my ex-boyfriend ...)

He has many albums and it's far from his best, but "Room for Squares" is probably his most chickflickish album.

shumacher

« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:55 »

+1 Insightful.

Seriously, I love Portishead. I think I like the version of All Mine that appears on PNYC more than the version on Portishead. It's a little more mellow.

Also, at the risk of sounding Brad-obsessed, having posted one of their tracks in the forced listening thread earlier this evening, I'd recommend some of their stuff. Sneaker Pimps did a cover of Firestarter that's awesome. There's a Bjork cover of Satisfaction that's amazing.
Also, in no particular order, in trackname - artist format.

Baby(1971) - Os Mutantes
About Her - Malcolm Mclaren
Puedo Escribir - Sixpence None The Richer
Before Today - Everything But The Girl
Mood Swing - Lucious Jackson
Besame Mucho - Diana Krall
Carrion - Fiona Apple
Fell In Love With A Boy - Joss Stone (cover of Fell In Love With A Girl)
Leave Me Alone - Natalie Imbruglia
Come to Me - Bjork
Colorblind - Counting Crows
Personally - 12 Rounds
Boombox - Mosquitos
Way You Walk - Papas Fritas

Sorry to get carried away - I love this music!

fin

« Reply #30 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:57 »

mostly already mentioned and mostly trip hop - maybe a not quite what your after but..

fiona apple - when the pawn...
portishead - roseland NYC
sneaker pimps - becoming x
massive attack - mezzanine,or the nexus/plexus bside/remix albums
craig armstrong - the space between us (if he done metal stuff it'd be cool :D)
k.d. lang - shadowland (tho i only know that song)

shumacher

« Reply #31 on: 16 Feb 2005, 10:05 »

I just found a link for 12 Rounds - Personally.  Video - requires quicktime.

I also turned my suggestions into an iMix at the iTunes Music Store.

likeadocentslisp

well...
« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2005, 15:44 »

some devendra banhart is neat and helps set the mood.  seesaw does not.  but a lot of his songs are sonically really good

Empty Friend

« Reply #33 on: 17 Feb 2005, 18:59 »

I second the use of Massive Attack and/or Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X for teh kissy.  Zero 7 is pretty good for that too, but not the whole album as I said before.  In the Waiting Line (which is in Garden State), Spinning, and Destiny are all good for such things.

mysceneiscooler

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2005, 21:23 »

Quote from: swordskill
Explosions in the Sky, that does it for me. ;-)

Totally agree. Apparently, though, Explosions also sets the mood for football dramas. o_O

church

« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2005, 21:24 »

If you can't get laid with Suede your partner isn't breating.

mAlice aforeThought

« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2005, 22:25 »

is that necessarily a bad thing?

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2005, 22:39 »

Suburban Post-Modernist was for the win in this here thread, folks.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2005, 12:54 »

Sorry to ressurrect a near-dead thread, but the English trip-hop band Alpha is ridiculously mellow and make-out inducing, especially considering that they rely mostly on live instrumentation.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

muffy

• The Tickler
« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2005, 15:20 »

I find Suede too sad and high pitched for smooching, but that's prolly just me..
Rilo Kiley works pretty well, and another prop to Air..also, mum work quite well

mee-kay-la

« Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2005, 15:55 »

-Led Zeppelin.
-Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

have fun.

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #41 on: 19 Feb 2005, 15:57 »

boards of canada anyone?

they can be a bit creepy sometimes, i know, but it seems to work... *shrug*
Pages: [1]   Go Up