Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baaaa  (Read 13084 times)

tayker

Baaaa
« on: 28 Jan 2005, 18:09 »

I don't get it. I've played different iterations of Final Fantasy, and it seems like everyone is a fan...Why? Their games are average at best. One of the arguments I get is the story...so? If I wanted to play an intereactive movie, then I'll play mist, otherwise I get more story and more entertainment from a movie. I like Star Ocean and Kingdom Hearts WAY better than any FF game. I like all genres, and I'm not a D&D Nazi either. IMO Morrowind is probably the best RPG I ever played on any system.

So, what makes FF so vomiting popular?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Baaaa
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2005, 18:16 »

What I find best about Final Fantasy are the characters. They all behave in a very real manner. Then you have the epansive and very unique lands, cities, and countries. It makes it seem so real.

Finaly, it has, in my opinion, the best musical score in the history of gaming. Nobuo Uematsu is my favorite composer. Bar none.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

tayker

Baaaa
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2005, 18:35 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
What I find best about Final Fantasy are the characters. They all behave in a very real manner. Then you have the epansive and very unique lands, cities, and countries. It makes it seem so real.

Although Fable is RPG-lite, I was totally blown away about how real it seemed. Even Morrowind was impressive as well. IMO, FF seemed like watching an interactive anime. How would you differentiate FF from Fable and Morrowind?

No comment on the score...my Coke to your Pepsi. Nocturne has a good score as well, have you played/heard it?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Baaaa
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2005, 18:46 »

No, unfortunately I have no XBox, gaming-level PC, and I've never heard of nocturne. My experience is with Skies of Arcadia, Golden Sun, Grandia II, Star Ocean : To the End of Time, Harvest Moon, and The Sims. (The last two are more simulation, but some places call them RPGs.) I'm Sure that I've played others, those are just my favorites.

As far as your "Interactive Anime" part goes. I'm an Anime fan, so I guess that's why I like it so much. Who knows? It's really all in a matter of opinion. Anyone who says otherwise will meet the buisness end of my belt. If I were wearing one, that is.
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

tayker

Baaaa
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2005, 19:27 »

Cool. Thanks for the input. As for Nocturne, I mean Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on the PS2. Kinda anime-ish but w/cell shaded graphics. More of a horror themed game, but still fun...and I hate turn based combat :)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Baaaa
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2005, 19:28 »

I can't stand Morrowind. It's too big. It's too boring. There's not real interesting plot. If I have to suffer cutscenes for a game to be interesting, so be it.

I like a handful of Final Fantasys...FF6, FF7, FFX, pretty much. All for the story and characters. I also enjoy FF5 simply for the battle system.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

tayker

Baaaa
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2005, 07:13 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
I can't stand Morrowind. It's too big. It's too boring. There's not real interesting plot. If I have to suffer cutscenes for a game to be interesting, so be it.

See, that's why I like Morrowind, because of all of that.

Actually, I do like the fact that it's big. It's like the GTA of RPGs. I don't mind cutscenes either, but if they're going to take up 75% of the game, might as well have made a movie. :cough:Xenosaga:caugh:

Also, linear games. I don't hate them, but if the same game is going to be like the first, ie FF, then why not make 1 big giant game. I get bored if I have to do the same shit over and over and over. For example, I liked KOTOR, I bought KOTORII, played the beginning and haven't picked it up. What's the point? If all games are going to be linear, bring something new aspect to the table, don't regurgitate the same mechanics to push a new story, I call that half ass.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Baaaa
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2005, 10:49 »

Also, linear games. I don't hate them, but if the same game is going to be like the first, ie FF, then why not make 1 big giant game. I get bored if I have to do the same shit over and over and over. For example, I liked KOTOR, I bought KOTORII, played the beginning and haven't picked it up. What's the point? If all games are going to be linear, bring something new aspect to the table, don't regurgitate the same mechanics to push a new story, I call that half ass.

While the games in the Final Fantasy series are similar, they are not the same. The biggest difference is usually character development. Like materia in VII, junction in VIII, item-skills in IX, sphere grid in X, and dresspheres in X-2. I saw somthing on the series , and they say that they make 8 changes to the system every game. While some are more dominant than others, the games still change enough for, at least me, to find them interesting.

Finding Emo

Baaaa
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2005, 11:22 »

You say FF games are average and then say you'd rather play KH? That game was awful, and the fact that it's FF mixed with Disney, well, it's just plan old blasphemy. I have an intense dislike for KH.
And their feet are too big, what's that about?

Digs

Baaaa
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2005, 14:14 »

Hey, hey, hey. The action rpg is a genre with a fine tradition, and I'll not be having truck with any bashing of one of the finest.

I'd like to contribute that after character creation, Morrowind ceases to be a game.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Baaaa
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2005, 14:17 »

Quote from: tayker
It's like the GTA of RPGs.

Except GTA is fun, because it has an actual plot and a great sense of humor.

Morrowind is still boring.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Baaaa
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2005, 16:33 »

I never got into Morrowind. It is the slowest-paced RPG I have ever played.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Baaaa
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2005, 17:42 »

You three just summed up Morrowind perfectly I think.  I played it only on the Xbox and thought the FP view wasn't my cup of tea.  Kinda ugly.

Also I don't get your complaint with KotoR2.  Also you could skip through some of the cutscenes in Xenosaga.

tayker

Baaaa
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2005, 19:24 »

Morrowind on the PC I will admit moved kinda slow, but on the Xbox the characters moved faster.
Also, I can do the "carrot-stick" thing, like KH/FF, but there has to be something in the end. Morrowind I can see would be boring to some people, because some people like that whole "carrot" thing, which is cool. GTA might've been "Open ended" but when you took a mission, BAM!! carrot-stick. The quests in Morrowind allows you to think and do it on your own.
Basically what I'm seeing is, for most of the fans (based off a couple forums), it's all about the story and how the developers work the "carrot." I also think the anime aspect adds to it too, seeing as how most of the fans are anime fans.
hbg...My complaint is that KOTORII was KOTORI w/a new face. Starts out the same, plays the same...the only new thing is a few powers. I don't get playing a whole game just to play w/a few powers. As for the cutscenes, I prefer to not skip through a game's cutscenes, unless they're pointless. A lot of games provide decent info during the cutscenes, which helps in battle, for example.
Finding...I liked Kingdom Hearts for a couple reasons, 1. I'm not big on turn based fighting, although Nocturne kicks ass. 2. As much as I want to hate Disney sometimes, some of the characters are cool...c'mon, who didn't like Robin William's genie in Aladdin...3. The design and pace, I didn't feel it droned on like Xenosaga and a couple FF games. 4. The creative aspect. Square-Enix melded 2 different worlds to create a decent game. That's pretty damn good. :)

Finding Emo

Baaaa
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2005, 22:25 »

Fair enough if you don't like turn-based combat, it's not everybody's cup of tea.
As for Disney, the only character I've ever really liked is Cpt. Jack Sparrow, yes, he is technically a Disney character. I admit the Genie did have a certain coolness to him, but, he wasn't in KH enough to make the game good. Though I did like the combat, the storyline was shitty. Boo Disney.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Baaaa
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2005, 23:05 »

Quote from: tayker
Bunch of stuff
hbg...My complaint is that KOTORII was KOTORI w/a new face. Starts out the same, plays the same...the only new thing is a few powers. I don't get playing a whole game just to play w/a few powers. As for the cutscenes, I prefer to not skip through a game's cutscenes, unless they're pointless. A lot of games provide decent info during the cutscenes, which helps in battle, for example.
More stuff

Another thing I prefer most the time is getting experience for combat mostly.  Too much depth I guess to Marrowind, I had it on the Xbox and thought it was pretty slow.

I guess if it isn't broke, don't fix.  I felt there was more then a few powers added.  Fighting styles, force styles, more on how your choices affect your party.  A basic crafting system.

Hoborg

Baaaa
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2005, 02:38 »

FF and morrowind are like complete opposites on the RPG spectrum.

Final Fantasy games generally have great story and character development (characters are cliche, but somehow still always really good), but rather boring battle sequences and pretty linear gameplay. Morrowind, on the other hand, has an awesome real-time battle system, and the amount of things you can do at any point in the game is overwhelming... but the story is kind of boring and progresses reallyreally slowly, and there are so many characters that none of them develop at all besides yourself. I guess it all depends on what you prefer from an RPG. I think morrowind was amazing, but the lack of a good underlying story prevented it from being as good as it could have. If they could use the same sort of gameplay in a huge world but with a party and good storyline/characters, they could make the best rpg EVAR.

Jiperly

Baaaa
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2005, 10:08 »

Quote from: jeph
I never got into Morrowind. It is the slowest-paced RPG I have ever played.

Thank you!

But yea. FF sucks ass too.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

torg

Baaaa
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2005, 10:09 »

I played morrowind.  it was good...

BlueCoatKarma

Baaaa
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2005, 10:54 »

Morrowind was too slow, and for me the world felt completely dead. Actually, worse: not dead, just fake. The amount of backstory and lore didn't mesh at all with the lack of believable and interesting characters, and this clashing was a big part of why I didn't enjoy the game.

I loved KotR - one of my favorite games ever.

Haven't played many Square games - just FF3 and Chrono Trigger. Both seemed awesome, but I just didn't have time to finish them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up