THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advance Wars 2  (Read 9831 times)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Advance Wars 2
« on: 29 Jan 2005, 18:22 »

Quote from: Digs
Make sure you get the Yellow Comet neotanks or you'll be in for a rough ride when Green Earth rolls around.

A question about the hidden lap map.  It wasn't the mission where you play Sonja vs Adder with the Fortress with Mini cannons?

Digs

Advance Wars 2
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2005, 18:31 »

Yup. Building on the west of the cannon cluster, if I recall. That mission's pretty much just wiping up the remainder if you can stop him getting that factory and shipyard a bit north of your HQ, so hooray for fortunate things.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Advance Wars 2
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2005, 23:59 »

Dur.  Well damn.  I beat that and I just have mopping up to do on the Trap mission.  I realized it right after saving that I didn't get the map.  Drats.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Advance Wars 2
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2005, 00:06 »

i am currently on the last map of the first country.  what a goddamn ramp-up in difficulty.  i absolutely smashed every mission leading up to this one, only losing one or two units if anything, and it comes to this last one and i have been completely shattered three times in a row.

maybe i don't have the patience for an extended campaign, but i mean, i made 3 neotanks at one point, was totally dominating, and then somehow they cranked out a billion medium tanks and took me.

next run through i'm making fighter jets or something.  i mean, i know i'm supposed to use the big guns on the pipe, but i can't hold them off long enough to get the big guns up that far.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Advance Wars 2
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2005, 00:19 »

I'd recomend trying to use the rockets maybe?  The bomber is a really strong unit that can be worth saving up for.  Um, otherwise I'm having trouble recall it.  It makes a difference in who your CO is with what tactics you use.

Digs

Advance Wars 2
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2005, 13:52 »

This may be considered spoiling. It is certainly strategy-wossname.

Trying rushing forward to that airport with an APC and an infantry. Make sure you drop the grunt group in the drink or he'll waste a turn's movement. Max's bombers can destroy that pipe in one vicious blow, but you'll lose out on the power rating and won't S-rank it.

Waste no time or money or they'll churn out a fighter and end the bomber's hope.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Advance Wars 2
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2005, 18:43 »

thanks for the advice, but i was using the gal.  made 3 infantry, then just kept making tanks until i could take over the entire right hand side of the screen.

i think that what i was doing wrong the first time was trying to rush for the cities to the bottom left after i'd taken the airfield, thus spreading myself too thinly (i thought that i'd have to continue on after destroying the pipe, so i was trying to set myself up with a financially dominant position).

also, i wasn't really paying all that much attention to tanks vs artillery/rockets tactics, and as a result i wasn't fighting as effectively as i did this time around.  this morning i absolutely smashed the level.  i'm surprised that i ever had trouble with it.  i guess it just comes down to finding the right strategy for the circumstances.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Advance Wars 2
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2005, 22:45 »

That is exactly it.  Right strategy for the circumstances.  I've also noted that even if it looks like you're going to lose to finish it up.  Sometimes it helps to just learn what to do next time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up