THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: talking head comics  (Read 10030 times)

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« on: 01 Feb 2005, 01:58 »

i have a comic which is extremely simple (heads drawn in mspaint with no background) and focuses like pretty much completely on dialogue.  the only thing i do is position the heads and change their expressions, pretty much.  i have been drawing it for a while now, but it only occurred to me recently to share it, so i gave it to a couple of friends and stuff, and they seem to be pretty cool with it.  they say they like it, which i guess they could be lying, but the strips they say are their favorites are often my favorites too, so that appears to line up pretty well.

i posted the url to my site on another board and got SHOT DOWN.  people are mostly citing the talking heads thing for this, saying that comics are a visual medium and blah blah blah.

the thing that i enjoy most about writing in comic is inserting some sort of timing into it, and the disparity between what a character says and what he looks like.  i think the simplicity of the talking heads format suits these needs pretty elegantly without being visually overpowering, but i guess i have odd tastes.  (also i can't draw.)

without talking specifically about my comic, i was wondering what everyone thinks about the validity of talking-head comics, especially considering how awesome i personally think qwantz is.

torg

talking head comics
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2005, 02:40 »

hmm like most people get bored quickly with comics that dont provide visual variety. funny texts are not enough to keep me attentive as i could also spend that time reading books.
and its not very likely that the texts ALWAYS are funny enough to really make me laugh....

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2005, 02:46 »

well yes but neither is visual humor... regardless of your format, it is difficult not to suck.

torg

talking head comics
« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2005, 03:03 »

but  the visuals are the thing why comics exist at all *g*

Hoborg

talking head comics
« Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2005, 06:00 »

Sometimes talking-head comics are ok if they use the minimalist concept as a tool in the writing of the jokes, or if you have really fantastic writing that you want to call attention to. But if its just an excuse to put some text on a page in image form, it usually won't work too well. But either way, if you want to make a comic, make a comic. The hardest part about writing one is actually doing it. So don't feel like your comics arent worth making, continue what you're doing and you'll get better. Experiment with drawing stuff different ways.

Jiperly

talking head comics
« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2005, 09:24 »

If you just like writing, you could always be, like, a writer.

It seems to work for Penny Arcade.....

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #6 on: 01 Feb 2005, 14:15 »

yeah, i could do the writing and get a friend to draw.  the problem is that i don't have any friends who i trust not to flake out on me.

AndSheeWas

talking head comics
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2005, 14:42 »

this thread was a cocktease....

same as it ever was

Digs

talking head comics
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2005, 14:55 »

Can ladies use that? I mean, with naught to be teased, one would expect not. It does not take much imagination to think of a different turn of phrase.

SeanBateman

talking head comics
« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2005, 15:05 »

If the writing is good, the comic is good. Qwantz is no doubt one of my top 3 favorite strips, and it's constant repition. Early bobbins, early Goats, early QC, as long as you make it funny, or interesting, I'll be there. Which means.... link!

AndSheeWas

talking head comics
« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2005, 15:33 »

Well, Mr. Digs, "twat tease" doesn't have the same ring to it.

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #11 on: 01 Feb 2005, 15:49 »

http://oibot.com

i don't know where to tell you to start from... the beginning is not so good and the thing i'm doing right now is not that indicative of the strip... just go back a couple of strips i guess.

sorry to "cocktease," i was gonna post the link but jeph basically said not to in the announcement, and i didn't want to look like a bitch by having that be my first post

unless that's now what you mean by cocktease, in which case, sorry anyway?

(also if the link doesn't work, it means that my host is being a total bitch.  you can either try again later or lose interest, your choice.)

AndSheeWas

talking head comics
« Reply #12 on: 01 Feb 2005, 15:52 »

My username should explain why I was disappointed in the thread.

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #13 on: 01 Feb 2005, 16:00 »

haha all right got it, sorry

Digs

talking head comics
« Reply #14 on: 01 Feb 2005, 19:46 »

Aw. Owned mispelled with some letters that don't belong in, maybe a "zor" or two.

AndSheeWas

talking head comics
« Reply #15 on: 02 Feb 2005, 05:00 »

Eh...it's okay. My humor is lost on most people anyway. I guess it is to be expected when you are raised amongst Firesign Theater records and the Muppets.

SeanBateman

talking head comics
« Reply #16 on: 02 Feb 2005, 20:57 »

Hey man, I just read the whole archive of your comic, and I really dug it. The Strip where he made the Che Shirt was fucking great. The art could still use a little work, just to clean it up, but the writing is very good. I don't know how you could ever merchandise it though, or what the name means. Keep it up, please

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2005, 00:28 »

oh my god oh man that is so validating
that fills my entire body with HAPPY
i am glad that there is a person out there who likes it

(p.s.-- i totally don't even remember where i got the name from)

Jamoky

talking head comics
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2005, 20:46 »

uh.  Am I brainfarting, or is my browser not copatable or what.  I cant find the archive!

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2005, 20:51 »

that is because i haven't gotten around to designing an archive yet.
i'll get on it right away.

Jamoky

talking head comics
« Reply #20 on: 05 Feb 2005, 14:08 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Hey man, I just read the whole archive of your comic,

+

Quote from: kid astronaut
i haven't gotten around to designing an archive yet.

=

??!?

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #21 on: 05 Feb 2005, 22:40 »

you can get around by pressing previous/next/first/current, i just don't have an archive page where you can select which comic you want from a list

Sweet Nuthin

talking head comics
« Reply #22 on: 06 Feb 2005, 16:23 »

I'm reading your old ones.  Me likey!  I laughed for a long time at this one.  I'm sure I'll like your more recent ones, too, when I get there.  

*thumbs up*
[/url]

A Little Quacky

talking head comics
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2005, 01:36 »

Well it got a chuckle out of me. Might wanna change the font, add some character. I think the talking heads fit it well, too bad I tend to look at my webcomics for the art, with a chuckle being secondary. Good work though, the writing is goodness.

retrokitty

talking head comics
« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2005, 16:13 »

I got bored at work.  If you like, you can use these as new heads, but I don't expect you to or anything.
http://tinypic.com/1r4uph">

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:04 »

haha!!

oh man!

retrokitty

talking head comics
« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2005, 03:39 »

meh.  They look better on white backgrounds.

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #27 on: 20 Feb 2005, 00:54 »

nah yeah i know, i am not laughing at your work, it is better than mine

i am just kind of shock-pleased that someone would even take the time

fredhate

talking head comics
« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2005, 15:59 »

Have you tried to find an artist over the intra-web? I'm sure that there are plenty of artists who are looking for a writer.

I dug strips like this one, but really think that the strip could be aided by more variation in the artwork. MS Paint and talking heads sort of get me down.

Seriously, check out if you can find an artist online who will agree to do a couple of strips at least and compare the difference. Personally, I would have liked to see an artist interpretation of an Anne Geddes/Celine Dion calendar.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
talking head comics
« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:28 »

The art is a big turn-off for me. There's a difference between minimal art used to add subtle flavor to the writing (DinoComics or even Jerkcity) and minimal art that doesn't add anything to the writing.

Webcomics are a visual medium. Your art is what initially catches people's attention, the writing is what keeps them coming back for more. Strips like DinoComics and Diesel Sweeties work because while their art is not incredibly complex, it's unique, eye-catching, and serves to enhance the (brilliant) writing rather than distract the reader from it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

kid astronaut

talking head comics
« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2005, 14:28 »

i actually have a friend who would be willing to do artwork, and he is a great artist.  i just fear that adding a second person into the dynamic would make it so that at least one of us is ALWAYS too lazy to do any work on it

Nowhere Man

talking head comics
« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2005, 15:29 »

I'm loving this Comic.

Bookmarked for funny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up