THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.  (Read 18921 times)

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« on: 01 Feb 2005, 08:56 »

Kinda linked to my 'hardest challenge' thread, when have you gotten really fustrated with a game?  I'm talking controller hurling, "KHAAAAAAAAN!"-screaming fustration?

Doesn't have to be a boss, can just be a really annoying jump in Mario or something.

My current number one is Fire Emblem on GBA, just beat all the enemies on level 16x, and I'm training everyone up to high levels at the arena.

After spending about half an hour on this, I send my mage into a fight he should have no trouble with, only to have the enemy rip a one-in-a-hundred critical hit on him, which he survives, retaliates, and gets killed by [/i]another critical hit before I can pull him out.

This not only kills the only mage I've got, but also saves the battle as it starts, forcing me to repeat the entire level.

The GBA went on a little trip across the room for that one...
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2005, 09:39 »

Right now i've beaten every race in Burnout III except the last two- one of the two gets unlocked once i finish the current race.

It uses the ultra fragile Formula One Racer, which touching walls will slow you down 50 mph instantly. Not to mention you go extremely fast and the damn thing explodes on a misplaced pebble in the road. The car has terrible control and slides on turns like hot butter in a pan, and worse of all- the enemys cheat. I've seen them plow through cars and not crash- nicking cars makes me do a series of flips- and every times i crash, i'm instantly at 6th and 10 seconds behind the first place car. They sure as hell don't have to deal with that shit.

Its such a large map with two laps, its so easy to lose- after one crash, you're okay- so long as you retake first. But if you don't, you're talking an impossible distance between you and the first place car.

I've been working on it for at least 3 weeks- i think its gotten to a point where this one race is taking longer than the 70 others.......

Tearon

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2005, 08:55 »

When I was three I got pissed off at my uncle's pong. I couldn't figure out the relation ship between the dial and the paddle.

Man...I sucked...

Also, JakII. The whole damn game. Or at least the 5 hours I played before returning it.

Maximo was also a pain in the arse.

kikanjuuneko

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2005, 09:05 »

Getting to the final boss in Sonic 2 with about 30 extra lives and then not being able to figure out how you're supposed to beat him before one decides "fuck it, I don't have the patience for this". There was much AAAARGH-ing afterwards.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2005, 11:32 »

cant beat sonic?  you pushover!

most of my argh moments are from ghosts n goblins

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2005, 12:42 »

Sonic two? You couldn't beat that?

Mind you, its awesome because theres no save, but still....

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2005, 15:10 »

Less retarded gamer elitism, more on topic posting please.

HURR YOU COULDN'T BEAT THAT GAME????/ LOLHURRRHLOLLOL
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #7 on: 02 Feb 2005, 16:04 »

i was half joking, and it really is on topic, or so i thought.  oh well, whatever.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #8 on: 02 Feb 2005, 18:07 »

(Little does will: wanton sex god realise, he's still talking off topic!)

I never can get past the harder difficulties in Civiliazation.....i'm just too used to have an unfair advantage(and happier that way too)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb 2005, 18:36 »

The heavy hand of Jeph's fiery justice?

Hmmmm......... I think there were a couple of moments in Tales (like the first time I ever fought the sword dancer, or went up against the general that killed Lloyd's mom.) Where I just.  Could not. BEAT THEM!  Then I realized the strategies and physically got up and yelled "YEAH BITCH!" At the tv.

Hmmm..... then there's every nintendo game before save options. GRRRRrrrr Adventure island and TMNT!

Deformagraphy

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb 2005, 18:44 »

The last ARRRGH-moment was in Resident Evil 4.  Fighting off a large boss that requires at least 15 minutes to beat and all of his attacks are one hit kills except for one, which still squeezes the life out of you.  If you catch my drift.  After 6 consecutive tries I shut the GameCube off.  I came back to it five minutes later and beat it.

Damn my human hands.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2005, 20:16 »

Quote from: LiterSize
The heavy hand of Jeph's fiery justice?

Yea, i'm pretty sure he doesn't like me.....

But anyways, that game "Beyond good and Evil", i got stuck on a puzzle and decided to start over- so i went for a while, and somehow i got to a point i should have gotten to later. So now i gotta restart AGAIN........christ, you'd think they test the game....

Kjammer

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2005, 20:37 »

Mega Man 1

There is no save system, not even passwords like in the future sequels.
And I couldn't beat the RockMonster (the big yellow orange blob that moves back and forth one piece at a time).  This was before I heard of the 'Select Button Glitch.'

Now I have it on Emulator and The Aniversery collection, both have the save problem fixed.

For those of you who are unfamilliar with Mega Man 1, The Rock Monster (or Yellow Deamon as said by fans) appears late in the game (as I said before, no save system), And for most of the battle you have to dodge him as he flies bit by bit over and under Mega Man (you), and after he puts himself together you have a 1 second window to damage him before he breaks appart.  

It was so frustrating I acually screamed "Stupid Monster" (at the time I was young).  After hearing about the Glitch a few months ago I tried it on the Aniversery collection, And I said "Didn't expect that huh Rockey!"

c1utch

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #13 on: 02 Feb 2005, 21:20 »

My sister walked by the console and accidentally wripped the power cable outta the wall at the end of a lengndary halo level.  that was a auggh (almost threw logitech controller, but instead picked up cheap brandless 4th controller and chucked it)

Also, when i found out 37 hours into KOTOR2 that they had done such a bad debugging job that I couldn't actually finish the game on my xbox.

I actually did throw the logitech that time. I also attempted to send a bag of fecal matter to Obsidian, but I'm pretty sure it didnn't actually arrive at their building

I've screamed like a little girl a few times.  Doom 3 and HL2 seem to procure a few screems every once and a while. *shudders*

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #14 on: 03 Feb 2005, 01:00 »

Quote from: c1utch
I've screamed like a little girl a few times.  Doom 3 and HL2 seem to procure a few screems every once and a while. *shudders*

Those would be EEEEK moments, maybe I should start another thread...

I'm playing Grandia 2 at the moment, and the cutscenes in that game are so slow and last so long, I've had to repeat the same 10 mins of boss fight and sit through 25 mins of cutscene twice now, because I keep having to leave before I can get to another save point.  That gets a healthy dose of fustrated screaming:  "Come on, you stupid text, SCROLL!  ARRGH, not another spiel about the Battle of Good and Evil, hurry up!"
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

torg

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #15 on: 03 Feb 2005, 02:11 »

I get really frustrated, when i have to do unfair fights in RPGs ... like being stuck in a small room with nowhere to hide and heal, fighting a dragon that roasts you with a single fire breath.... or thousands of spiders that do lots of damage surround you  so you cant even flee, and theres no chance to avoid that fight or flee from it.
and of course i start screaming when i get stuck somehwere, because collision detection doesnt work right. like you're going into a corner of a room but cant leave it anymore. especially after half an hour (or even more) without saving.
games without 'quicksave' are frustrating.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #16 on: 03 Feb 2005, 09:45 »

I dug up the classic(and free) online game ET, and i'm reminded how gay some of the maps are- like the first one, with the beach where you have to build a walkway, but all the germans are waiting for you to try, so its just a series of genocides- if the germans can hold that part(which isn't difficult), and no one goes out the backdoor(which, when i play, i have a zero tolerance policy- no going out that door, or i'll blow you the fuck up), then its an impossible mission to win....

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2005, 10:29 »

Quote from: Kjammer
Mega Man 1

The key tactic to Mega Man is knowing what boss is weak against the different weapons you get from other bosses.  I use to know them better but my head meats aren't what they use to be.

I managed to make it to the Green Earth campaign on Advance Wars 2.  With out getting Neo-Tanks on the Yellow Comet campaign.  Argh.

Akbar

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2005, 11:10 »

When I after killing a certain dragon about one hour before the end of Baldur's Gate II didn't find an artifac he was supposed to carry, and which I needed to get to the end. I was owned by a bug. I still havn't completed that game. KHAAAAAN!

When I lost all my saves for GTA3: Vice City. Also pretty much as close to the 'end' as possible. Actually, I put a save from another session in the wrong slot, resulting in the untimely death of that game as well. KHAAAAN!

Digs

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2005, 11:32 »

Quote from: Kjammer
'Select Button Glitch.'
Cheating is wrong.

The Yellow Devil, like all Megaman bosses, is about pattern recognition. Every move has a tell, or if you prefer it, a telegraph. There's no excuse for cheatery in the name of a game's first defeat.

I like games where you have to earn your cheats. Goldeneye comes to mind unbidden. And they can't be used to advance! Awesome.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #20 on: 03 Feb 2005, 11:38 »

Oh how I enjoy games that give you "Cheater" cleared screen if allowed to clear the game with  cheats.  Earning cheats is nice and rewarding.  Besides it feels infinitely better to over come a challenge with out relying on them.

Tearon

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #21 on: 03 Feb 2005, 12:50 »

I never cheat until I have beaten the game. Also, the only game I've used a strategy guide for my first time through was FF8.

Schmung

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #22 on: 03 Feb 2005, 13:52 »

Pro Evo soccer 4. Its doing my fucking skull in. I can play reasonably, but I cannot score decent goals for love nor money, all mine are cheap sneaky ones that give me no satisfaction. I've read guides, done loads of praccy and still nothing.

meganjo23

• Plantmonster
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #23 on: 03 Feb 2005, 14:13 »

Whats makes me go AAARRRRGGGGG is when I've just done something really cool, or I've been doing really good in the game, then i do something really stupid like walking off a cliff.  Without saving.
-Hey, what time is it?
-It's shirtless o'clock!

http://www.myspace.com/staticlove23

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #24 on: 03 Feb 2005, 14:17 »

Quote from: Jiperly
I dug up the classic(and free) online game ET, and i'm reminded how gay some of the maps are- like the first one, with the beach where you have to build a walkway, but all the germans are waiting for you to try, so its just a series of genocides- if the germans can hold that part(which isn't difficult), and no one goes out the backdoor(which, when i play, i have a zero tolerance policy- no going out that door, or i'll blow you the fuck up), then its an impossible mission to win....

Dude. I play ET all the time!

Playing as Allied on that map is all about speed and brute force.

A couple of snipers in the ocean, another covops ready to get a uniform, a couple of engys constantly building the ramp,  then, soldiers and field ops blowing the hell out of any Germans in the way.

One smart, fast engineer is all it takes to win that map though. I've seen Allies win a lot more than Axis.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #25 on: 03 Feb 2005, 15:58 »

i dunno....that map always makes me feel impotient and insigificant.....

• Cthulhu f'tagn
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #26 on: 03 Feb 2005, 19:49 »

hrm

singlehandedly beating 5 players and then ahving the last 2 team up on me in an 8 man free for all in starcraft.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #27 on: 05 Feb 2005, 18:14 »

i did something like that once- it was a bunch of noobs in the ET demo, and i pretty much just slaughtered 5-10 guys before they finally dragged me down......I was probly more shocked then they were.....

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #28 on: 06 Feb 2005, 10:24 »

Okay, game gear's dragon crystal. I was playing it in the car, my dragon had grown up, and I was kicking serious ass. Then the woefully insufficent battery life finally killed me. It died, and that is when I finally vowed to never again use anything that requires more than five AAs at once. Still wheeping...
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #29 on: 06 Feb 2005, 11:33 »

Here's an ARGH moment, totally unrelated to a game's difficulty.

At the beginning of Legend of Zelda:LttP, Link's uncle says "Zelda is your-" and then dies.

YOU NEVER LEARN WHAT HE WaS GOING TO SAY!

Zelda is my what, you ass? My destiny? My sister? My shoe? My noun? My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate?

But that's not the worst of it. At the end of the game: HE'S ALIVE AGAIN! NO! If you're going to die in the middle of giving me important information that may or may not be related to incest, YOU WILL STAY DEAD!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #30 on: 06 Feb 2005, 16:08 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
Here's an ARGH moment, totally unrelated to a game's difficulty.

At the beginning of Legend of Zelda:LttP, Link's uncle says "Zelda is your-" and then dies.

YOU NEVER LEARN WHAT HE WaS GOING TO SAY!

Zelda is my what, you ass? My destiny? My sister? My shoe? My noun? My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate?

But that's not the worst of it. At the end of the game: HE'S ALIVE AGAIN! NO! If you're going to die in the middle of giving me important information that may or may not be related to incest, YOU WILL STAY DEAD!

As bad as that guy was, he wasn't as "AAARGH!" ish as the old guy in the First Zelda.  Saving off all those cool things till later. stupid motherfucker.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

nihilist

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #31 on: 07 Feb 2005, 07:26 »

Burnout 3 - The challenge where you race the old school flame roadster.  That thing is like a fucking brick with wheels.  Gotta ride the boost and not hit a damn thing.  And the one where you have to race the CART/Formula 1 car...  Good god.  Awesome stuff, but fucking hard.  Wasted many an hour playing that.

Foxylicious

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #32 on: 07 Feb 2005, 07:57 »

Final Fantasy X-2 because I had to restart the game three times (all about 20 hours in) because I didn't do the stupid little things you were supposed to do (but NEVER told do to or hinted towards) at the random times I was supposed to do it.  Lame!!

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #33 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:18 »

That's why I never beat that game, and why I think Square has lost it. When it is no longer possible to get the "good" ending of a game without shelling out $20 for a strategy guide or looking it up on gameFAQs, you're doing something wrong.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

nihilist

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #34 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:27 »

Most of the challenges were awesome.  Especially when clubbing people off the track.  Mmm, great.

But the track with the forumla one car that goes underneath an elevated bridge.  Good god.

Jiperly

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #35 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:28 »

wow.....

glad my post above didn't go over your guys head......when i mentioned that exact race a week ago...

nihilist

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #36 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:30 »

We were commiserating.  C'mon.

Rauko

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #37 on: 08 Feb 2005, 19:38 »

Any the Katamari missions where you have to get a cow or bear.  You can't see the tiny little ones and are impossible to dodge.  I must have spent hours on jsut the Ursa Major one!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #38 on: 08 Feb 2005, 20:33 »

Quote from: jeph
That's why I never beat that game, and why I think Square has lost it. When it is no longer possible to get the "good" ending of a game without shelling out $20 for a strategy guide or looking it up on gameFAQs, you're doing something wrong.

Shit, your lucky you could even find the main quest.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Tearon

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #39 on: 09 Feb 2005, 12:31 »

Quote from: jeph

I think I may be the only person who discovered the good ending the way square wanted us to: completely by accident!

Samgam Gamalan

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:04 »

Heres a little known boss for you: Mike. He was supposed to be just some mercenary in Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire, but his SAM site base is the most thumpingly hard tactical game fight i've ever found.

Picture yourself sneaking towards the base under cover of darkness, a shot rings out and your lead character dies...sigh.

Theis time you sneak in with the sneakiest person you have and step on a well hidden mine...sigh

eventually, after hours of playing the roulette tabe of randomised perception, you finally get to the control room and Mike shoots you with someting like 10 bursts from the G11. this (along with his 100% armor) pretty much guarantee losing most of your guys.

The way i finally managed it was to find out where he was in the building with an expendable scout, wait til he was next to a wall and plant so much TNT and HMX there it should have made a mushroom cloud, and even then he needed much finishing off, with guns and bullets and such.

*finishes having waking nightmares about JA2*

Jenno

• Furry furrier
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2005, 02:11 »

Quote from: Foxylicious
Final Fantasy X-2 because I had to restart the game three times (all about 20 hours in) because I didn't do the stupid little things you were supposed to do (but NEVER told do to or hinted towards) at the random times I was supposed to do it. Lame!!

Are you serious... I just started playing through that game, i already have 30 hours.  D'oh!!

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #42 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:28 »

Oh! Now i remember a "Argh!" moment!

Rick Dangerous.
The whole damn game was one big "Argh!"
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Jolouie

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #43 on: 16 Feb 2005, 12:24 »

Super Mario RPG - Finding Geno....AARRRRGGGHHHHH.

Just thinking about it gets my blood pressure up.

scuzzle

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2005, 13:15 »

NINJA GAIDEN

need i say more my friends? they made it hard for a reason didnt they?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2005, 13:46 »

Yes, to make it fun.

scuzzle

ARRRRGGGGHHH moments.
« Reply #46 on: 16 Feb 2005, 14:13 »

oh dont get me wrong, it IS bloody good fun [in the british sense of the word, and the visceral] i am pointing out the fact that it becomes OBLIQULEY hard in some moments...especially the first time thru

when i first fought a fire dragon, i actually said

"tanks? worrisome. helicopters? a bit tough....but DRAGONS?! "
Pages: [1]   Go Up