THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 16:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best bass player EVER  (Read 35148 times)

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #100 on: 28 Apr 2006, 09:34 »

While she's not outragously technically talented Kim Deal deserves some credit just for the great bass melodys in a lot of Pixies songs.
She sure did get fat though...

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #101 on: 28 Apr 2006, 10:03 »

Kim Deal is a goddess, fat or not.  I have no idea who the best bass player ever would be, like Strom Rider said, it's hard to say.  My favorite basslines are probably Krist Novaselic's, if only because they were the first basslines I ever noticed and liked, when I was a wee lad.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #102 on: 28 Apr 2006, 10:12 »

Wait, when did we stop talking about Geddy Lee? That just seems... you know...

weird.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #103 on: 28 Apr 2006, 10:29 »

Props for Avishai Cohen* and Steele (did you know he posed for playgirl? <DONG><). But you guys dont get it: JACO, END OF THREAD.
*There are about 3 Israeli jazz players named Avishai Cohen. One is the afore-mentioned Bass player. Another is a talented Trumpet player of the World Music/Jazz group Third World Love. And there's another one that escapes me now.

Actually, I want to be as good as Jaco was on bass. I never will, though, but it will keep me allways striving for perfection out of myself and out of my instrument. Which is my idea of what a profetional musician's mind set should be.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

TrueNeutral

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #104 on: 28 Apr 2006, 11:34 »

Also, Mike Inez.

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #105 on: 29 Apr 2006, 15:38 »

Jaco transcended the limitations of bass, in my opinion. He was just playing music. I haven't heard a single other person bass player who could play with the melody, lyricism, feeling and just plain whatsit that he could. The only other place I've heard expression like that was singers and horn players.

:( I was agreeing with you, don't bite me.
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #106 on: 30 Apr 2006, 17:38 »

James Jamerson, agreed. Both in terms of playing, and attitude. The man played bass for Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On" album while laying on his back, drunk off his ass, and its one of the best albums ever. Now that's rad.

Plus, the bass line for "My Girl" is probably the best known bass parts in all of pop music history.

razorbladenation

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #107 on: 03 May 2006, 20:19 »

hmm i think that the bass player from taking back sunday is pretty good, and i agree that the guy from coheed is pretty amazing. I haven't heard claypool so i can't really make an educated decision on his work but my favorite bass player would probly have to be the guy from taking back sunday cause he writes lines that are really fun to play

inakitrescero

Nate Mendel
« Reply #108 on: 03 May 2006, 20:30 »

I recommend everyone to pay attention to Nate Mendel's bass lines in about every track on Foo Fighters' "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" album. Long before I played bass or knew anything about music, I noticed he is a kickass bassist. You can also listen to him on early recordings playing on Sunny Day Real Estate, and his relatively new project The Fire Theft.

Jeridus

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #109 on: 09 May 2006, 19:52 »

This may be a bit left field, and it's quite likely that not many out of Canada will have heard of him, but listening to Eon Sinclair of Bedouin Soundtrack on the track "Criminal"... the guy's pretty damned amazing.

Also, more Canadian bias (and yes, I do also like Geddy Lee), Arif Mirabdolbaghi of Protest the Hero is ridiculously energetic, and very technically skilled. I was in music class in grade nine with the guy (like, five or six years ago), and remember him playing Jaco Pastorius all the time.

thermodynamics

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #110 on: 10 May 2006, 04:12 »

Flea of RHCP... he is fucking talented. have you ever heard some of his bass solo stuff when he was messing around? it is nuts!

RUSH2112

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #111 on: 10 May 2006, 07:49 »

Victor Wooten FTW!

Praeserpium Machinarum

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #112 on: 10 May 2006, 08:05 »

You might consider making that avatar a bit smaller, it's awfully large.

RUSH2112

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #113 on: 10 May 2006, 08:16 »

Yeah, I uploaded it thinking that it would be automatically resized like every other forum but oh well...It's pissing me off too believe me. But I can't resize it on the school computers so I'll do it when I get home.

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
Best bass player EVER
« Reply #114 on: 10 May 2006, 08:18 »

My, what an awesome avatar you have there Rush.

RUSH2112

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #115 on: 10 May 2006, 08:25 »

I know, I know, it's huge. Sorry. I'll fix it ASAP.

Nick Cave's Havalina

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #116 on: 10 May 2006, 16:52 »

JAH WOBBLE!!

alyosha

Best bass player EVER
« Reply #117 on: 11 May 2006, 08:20 »

I have to nominate John Deacon, from Queen, who could play pretty much everything Freddie Mercury, Brian May, and ROger Taylor wrote for the band.  I mention this only because of the musical imagination of these three songwriters/musicians, and the differences between their styles.  ANyone who can play metal, electronica, and rock 'n; roll gets a vote from me...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up