THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am not a biscuit!  (Read 8033 times)

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:08 »

Nor am I an artist.  

I DID, however, DRAW THIS

GASP SHOKKU~

It's supposed to be an elf belonging to a friend of mine who is an infinitely better artist than I am, I assure you.

Speaking of elves, this one's mine.

God I hate anime.  *works on life-models religiously for a billion years*

Finding Emo

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:09 »

Once you start drawing anime, it's disgustingly difficult to get out of the habit.
I'm liking the shaping of the face in the first one. Very nice.

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:11 »

ARG YES.  

TIS A PLAGUE UPON MY SKETCHBOOK.

I tried to pull away from it with the sketch of Aranel (the first elf)

And thanks. =)

Finding Emo

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:14 »

Every single one of my books in school were full-to-bursting with anime-styled sketches.
Even to this day I sometimes slip back into it. It's like riding a bike, but the bike follows you around everywhere.

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:15 »

I'm sure Takahashi and Miyazaki are entirely responsible for this outrage.

We should write angry PTA hate mail.

Finding Emo

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:16 »

And stick loads of random anime drawings around the edge. Then add a PS saying; "See how annoying it is? Bastards."

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:22 »

And use alot of half-assed fan japanese in it.  Like "nani," "kawaii," and "baka"

Then sign it:

Ja ne!

Bii-essu-chan

(Great, my handle means BS in Japanese!)

Finding Emo

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #7 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:24 »

Now no Japanese anime artists will take your PTA hate mail seriously! Tsk.
It's all fallen apart before it even began.

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #8 on: 04 Feb 2005, 23:30 »

Story of my life.  And I think I can blame Takahashi for that, too.  Spring of Drowned Cat, pfft.  I never found any spring!

torg

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #9 on: 05 Feb 2005, 04:13 »

Oh, sweet! But the first one lacks pintsize on the hoodie ;)

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #10 on: 05 Feb 2005, 10:02 »

I'm not entirely sure Aranel would like Pintsize, which makes me think she must be very mean.  :(

I drew her in a hoodie because everyone else drew her in supar fantastical elf gear.  And I thought that was boring.

And thanks! :)

lost in storm

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #11 on: 05 Feb 2005, 11:01 »

Growing up in a Japanese household in Hawaii, and being my personal base style, I feel I have a good connection to what makes anime art appealing, and how it pertains here.

The hardest part about drawing in this style, is the economy of line. Since there are so few and very distinct lines, if you get placement or proportion wrong, it's very noticable.

The second hardest thing is the distortion (SD'ing) of head and body structure compared to other styles. Not only do you have to get it right with few lines, but get it right while SD'ing. Hard. :p

I see from your sketch that the facial portion, which always has to be right, is pretty good. I don't have any formal training, just practiced while looking at the best (Shirow, Samura, Miyazaki, Takahashi, Sadamoto, Akamatsu, Sonoda, Fujishima, Warren). Best of luck to you! :)

Digs

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #12 on: 05 Feb 2005, 18:32 »

I do not really want to turn into a chick, Ms. Rumerko. I will stay away from China, I guess. Thank you all the same.

Jiperly

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #13 on: 05 Feb 2005, 19:23 »

Liar- you're an artist!

lost in storm

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #14 on: 05 Feb 2005, 21:17 »

If that was directed at moi, hokay, I am a self-taught artist. :D

An old, regretful, self-taught artist. :(

If not, that's a jaunty cap you're wearing! :D

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #15 on: 05 Feb 2005, 21:20 »

Quote from: Vertical Stripes
God I hate anime.

What I like about these sketches is that you are clearly more concerned with rendering proper form and proportion than hitting all the typical anime/manga touchstones. Most American kids who want to draw anime get so fixated on the HUGE GOOGLY EYES OMG that they completely miss the excellent figure-drawing and posture skills that most actual manga artists posess.

Your style (in these drawings anyway) reminds me a lot of my pal http://www.fallencomic.com">Aido. There's some definite anime influence in there but you've made it your own.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

lost in storm

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #16 on: 05 Feb 2005, 21:24 »

*THAT* was the advice of an artist. :D

It's a shame no files can be attached on this forum. I don't have my scans resident on a server as of now, but would like to share some of my stuff. Oh well. :(

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #17 on: 05 Feb 2005, 21:38 »

Thanks everyone XD  

I also just drew this.

I was thinking of the way I'd imagined I'd look when I was older, back when I was a kid.  I'm nothing like what I wanted to be, but hey, I'm not complaining XD.

lost in storm

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #18 on: 06 Feb 2005, 00:47 »

Looks good! :)

Here's something I noticed a while back about my work…when you draw something standard, like a profile or face-on, you tend to shut down creative brain parts and instead crutch on left-brain "cookie-cutter" habits that you pick up learning how to draw. This can lead to less-natural looking results.

I say this, because the 3/4 drawing up top is better than the face-on, and it could be due to something like this. This is partially why I didn't like to do plain poses, but something that always trained my brain to keep from crystallizing into symbolism. Doing something that doesn't match the cookie-cutter in your head forces your brain to draw what it sees, rather than a symbol of what it sees, and voila! An awesome face, like the first pic. :D

Right now, I'm struggling with that, not having drawn since '03 and trying to get design work, all of my hard work vanished. So we're really in the same boat!

Never stop drawing, or seeing things differently, ever. :D

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #19 on: 06 Feb 2005, 00:51 »

I wanted it to look like one half of her was getting ready to do a pirouet, and the other half was just going "Ta-daaaa!"

Yeah, usually full-front on is kinda... bleheeehehehehe, but it kinda needed to be for this peecshur.

I appreciate your comments a lot.  Thanks.

lost in storm

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #20 on: 06 Feb 2005, 01:12 »

Anytime. Or sorry? *cringes* :D

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #21 on: 06 Feb 2005, 01:17 »

XD  No, I wasn't being sarcastic!  It was sincere!  *throws a party*

lost in storm

Re: I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #22 on: 06 Feb 2005, 01:24 »

Quote from: jeph
Your style (in these drawings anyway) reminds me a lot of my pal http://www.fallencomic.com">Aido. There's some definite anime influence in there but you've made it your own.

Aido's rendition of Faye and Marten at the table are so clean, it pegs my worship meter. And her(?) two of Dora are more of same. She's obviously a diligent perfectionist at her work, and with color too. :)

lost in storm

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #23 on: 06 Feb 2005, 01:26 »

Quote from: Vertical Stripes

*throws a party*

*blows curly paper horn* Fleep! :D

Vertical Stripes

I am not a biscuit!
« Reply #24 on: 06 Feb 2005, 01:27 »

Aido's work is too awesome to be anything like mine.  But I appreciate the compliment, Jeff, and wish you many good days with lots of yummy treats for your kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up