THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD 50X15 project  (Read 8563 times)

vipersrt

AMD 50X15 project
« on: 05 Feb 2005, 22:51 »

http://50x15.amd.com/home/default.aspx

The P.I.C. is cool. I think its amazing that amd wants to help people get on the internet. I saw an artcle that said this system was like $250 US or somewhere around there including a 15" monitor.

What do other people think of the P.I.C. and the 50X15 project?

Deacon

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.firekite.com
AMD 50X15 project
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2005, 00:06 »

Sounds like the AMD answer to the Mac Mini...
Eric (the Deacon remix)

Code: [Select]
do() || do_not(); // try();

c1utch

AMD 50X15 project
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2005, 15:29 »

Except that it was released last year, so its not an answer to a product released 2 weeks ago.

But yes, it will be somthing immensly useful to coffee shops, libraries etc that only basically need internet.

Its the new generation of the wave of "internet PCs" of a few years ago, which faded quickly.

The AMD PIC looks rather economical, and is a pretty good idea if you ask me.

nihilist

AMD 50X15 project
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2005, 07:30 »

Quite frankly, I don't see there being a need for that in more established countries.  People own PCs and routers, kinda does away with the need for a PIC.  Besides, somehow I just don't trust AMD to maintain things for any length of time.  Look at their Athlon MPs.  They were supported for a whole year, 18 months max, then they just ignored it entirely.  If you produce something, you HAVE to support it longer than that, even if it's a money suck.  You make it, you keep your customers happy.

vipersrt

AMD 50X15 project
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2005, 13:08 »

From what ive heard AMD is targeting the P.I.C. mostly at countrys where people can't really afford a normal pc.

nihilist

AMD 50X15 project
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2005, 13:17 »

My reply was targeted c1utch.  Generally libraries, etc want a master server, with little nodes just sucking off of it, so that they can control/roll things out easily.  The PIC, from what I've read, doesn't really target that.

I'd be interested to see if it's available in NA, and if so, how much?
Pages: [1]   Go Up