THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Doom3, "teh sux"?  (Read 23478 times)

zzyzx

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« on: 06 Feb 2005, 08:29 »

I'll go ahead and answer my question, yes it is teh sux. If you happen to be a soul who is fortunate enough to NOT have played the game, I'll give you a basic rundown:

It's a tech demo.....

The environments are boring. The monsters are...boring. The level design is crap. And finally the bosses are....well, they just aren't. Doom3 was supposed to scare, Half-Life2 did a better job scaring me than Doom3. Not to mention it looks better in my opinion. Ok, technically I know Doom3 is better (graphics), but damnit a game shouldn't rely on graphics alone...I still play Arcanum, one of the ugliest games in recent memory. Well...I don't know anymore, anyone got a differing opinion on Doom3?

I just can't wait until the Doom movie comes out. See those space marines in live act--Wait, they're SWAT now...At least they still work for UAC--Oh, right that doesn't exist in the movie...Well at least there'll be hell like the ga--Wait, no, they're zombies now, mutated by some disease. I'm sorry, did I step into Resident Evil?

Wevah

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2005, 10:42 »

I liked Doom 3.

I am not, however, excited for the Doom movie. It smells bad.

Staplegun

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2005, 11:25 »

*cough* already been talked about *cough*

But, alas, I have no proof, because it seems as though the thread died. O_o

zzyzx

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2005, 14:37 »

It has? Uhm, I just joined and I didn't see any topic on the 2 pages listed...unless I'm blind...sooo...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2005, 16:01 »

Wait...

You joined to bitch about Doom 3?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

zzyzx

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2005, 18:59 »

Yes. Anymore fanboys want to cry?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2005, 19:12 »

Settle down, children.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

nihilist

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2005, 07:23 »

Doom 3 == true ass.  Got rocked by HL2.  ROCKED.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2005, 08:30 »

What kind of hard-ass marine can't use a flashlight and a pistol at the same time?  If they wanted that to make sense, he should have lost his arm at the start of the game.  (Later, you trade up for a chainsaw :) )
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

nihilist

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2005, 08:36 »

Everybody talked about how amazing the engine is.  Too bad it's so dark that you can't see squat most of the time.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #10 on: 07 Feb 2005, 09:19 »

Well it's not like they went ahead and said "Hey, our graphics engine sucks, let's make it really fucking dark". No, I think they made it dark because that was the fucking point.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Deformagraphy

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #11 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:00 »

I loved Doom 3.  

Nothing like playing that in 5.1 late at night with the sound turned up.  Great fucking atomosphere.

nihilist

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #12 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:28 »

Quote from: Kai
Well it's not like they went ahead and said "Hey, our graphics engine sucks, let's make it really fucking dark". No, I think they made it dark because that was the fucking point.

Goooo fanboy!

Game was horribly repetitive.  Couldn't play it for more then two hours before yawning.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #13 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:50 »

Man I can't do ANYTHING for more than two hours without yawning!
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #14 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:53 »

GOING ON FOUR HOURS NOW

HURRRRFFFFFF

NNNNGGHGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

/falls over

nihilist

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #15 on: 07 Feb 2005, 10:56 »

Eh, I can do 'that' and yawn at the same time.  Bwahaha.  I'm a real man.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #16 on: 07 Feb 2005, 13:27 »

ROCKED.

yeah, i gt bored of d3 very quickly.  "oh look, another room where all the doors close and a bunch of monsters come out".  "oh damn, another corridor where the lights turn out halfway through it and you hear zombie noises".

etcetera.

yes, it was a tech demo, and yes, they did try to make a decent game out of it.  however, their ideas dept is really starting to show the fact that they are a mindless gamer d00d who's just rehashing the same old shit over and over.  sure, it was good for doom.  it was good for doom2.  it was even ok in quake.  it started to get old in quake 2, and they didn't even bother trying in quake 3.

halflife2, on the other hand, was a tech demo that played like a decent game.  the storyline was pretty cliched, sure.  but it was wicked fun to play.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #17 on: 07 Feb 2005, 15:43 »

Quote from: nihilist
Quote from: Kai

Goooo fanboy!

Game was horribly repetitive.  Couldn't play it for more then two hours before yawning.

0h t3h n0es, my secret has been brought to life.

I personally enjoyed Doom 3, but deh.

And yes, Half Life 2 was funner.

nihilist

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #18 on: 07 Feb 2005, 16:35 »

Again folks, this is just a forum.  There is no right answer here.

And yes, HL2 > D3.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #19 on: 07 Feb 2005, 16:46 »

That's right. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are all HORRIBLE HORRIBLE NERDS.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go DRAW A COMIC STRIP AND PUT IT ON THE INTERNET.

THE INTERNET!

zzyzx

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #20 on: 07 Feb 2005, 18:20 »

If i was on your server, I would so PK you...

Hello nerdom!!!!!!!!

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #21 on: 08 Feb 2005, 13:22 »

hello I am a nerd.
I also registered just for this thread. not really, I've been meaning to register for a while. I just finally got around to it.

I'd like to start by saying that I enjoyed Doom3 up to the point where there were more enemies on screen than my system (note: not my graphics card) could handle.
after that, it became un-fun just because I couldn't actually make any progress.
the reason Doom3 is as dark as it is, is for atmosphere. If you cranked up your gamma or installed the flashlight mod before going through the game once, and then complained that it didn't scare you, then it's your own fault.
and let's not forget that Half-Life took its plot from Doom in the first place...
scientists open gateway, hero battles way out of base infested with monsters to warn outside world
except, in half-life, instead of being a marine you are a lab technician
because as we all know, lab technicians are the most enduring folk on the planet
let's face it.. he is a grunt. he's the guy you usually mow down in other games. but oh well.

ok I'm done.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2005, 15:55 »

Quote from: jeph
That's right. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are all HORRIBLE HORRIBLE NERDS.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go DRAW A COMIC STRIP AND PUT IT ON THE INTERNET.

THE INTERNET!

NERD!

Rauko

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #23 on: 08 Feb 2005, 19:21 »

Quin your description of half-life's plot is like taking lobster bisque and adding water until you have a big bowl of runny crap.  Sure there was a gateway, but its to dimension between ours and many other different worlds.  All the aliens you fight in the entire game are slaves of a larger, un-named race that you never encounter.  In the end you find out that the whole thing was a test, and you (Gordon Freeman) was being trained to be a mercenary.  Gordon could care less about the outside world, he jsut wants to escape.  HL2 then expands on this, not to mention beat out DOOM 3 for GoTY.  The only reason that HL hasn't become a movie is that fans would riot if Gordon Freeman talked.

stupendousbadass

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #24 on: 08 Feb 2005, 19:53 »

Doom 3 scared the shit out of me, in a way that only the system shock games had previously ever managed. Maybe it's just my secret fear of the dark, but near total darkness and sinister noises get me everytime. Half Life 2 was much better, but not as scary. Not that it tried to be.

Myself, I reckon Gordon Freeman is actually a mute. It'd explain why no one ever seems to expect a reply. We barely ever see his hands, perhaps he communicates by some kind of rudimentary sign-language...

"Look, I think he's trying to tell us something! What's that Gordon? There's been a resonance-cascade in the test chamber, and Eli Vance is trapped inside??"

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #25 on: 08 Feb 2005, 20:28 »

Quote from: Rauko
Quin your description of half-life's plot is like taking lobster bisque and adding water until you have a big bowl of runny crap.  Sure there was a gateway, but its to dimension between ours and many other different worlds.  All the aliens you fight in the entire game are slaves of a larger, un-named race that you never encounter.  In the end you find out that the whole thing was a test, and you (Gordon Freeman) was being trained to be a mercenary.  Gordon could care less about the outside world, he jsut wants to escape.  HL2 then expands on this, not to mention beat out DOOM 3 for GoTY.  The only reason that HL hasn't become a movie is that fans would riot if Gordon Freeman talked.

Not a problem for me, but you may want to mark for spoilers.

Not that anyone hasn't beaten half life yet.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #26 on: 08 Feb 2005, 22:42 »

Doom 3 holds a special place in my heart as the only game since Silent Hill 2 to scare me. Its plot was wholy ripped off from Half-Life and really wasn't the most interesting or best designed game, but as far as using graphics to create an engrossing atmosphere, it's quite possibly one of the most amazing games ever.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Rauko

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #27 on: 09 Feb 2005, 17:32 »

If you ahven't beaten HL by now, then I doubt you ever will bother.  Sad to say really *forlon look*

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:49 »

I didn't beat Half-Life, I got tired of it
I mean, sure I suppose some people are in to that stuff, but how much riding around on a train while listening to the announcer voice can you take, honestly?

(I'm kidding, I know that's just the intro. I did get tired of it about half an hour in though)

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2005, 07:41 »

I got sick of it a switched to God mode after I reached Xen, but I was pretty into it up to then.

Rauko

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2005, 10:24 »

Look at the game like a book.  the first chapter or so aren't always incredible, it builds up into a climactic story.  Half-Life, and now HL2, are intensly story driven.  Playing 30 minutes of a game taht can last for 12+ hours is like putting down a book after the first few pages.  Most of the cool stuff hasn't even happened yet.  The only games I turn cheats on for are run and guns, because I jsut can't keep plowing through enemies for no reasona dn I ahve to get creative.  I spent an inordinante amount of time in Doom 3 staring at things and trying to beat all the monsters with my flash light.

Jiperly

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #31 on: 10 Feb 2005, 10:29 »

Never played the game, and if its mentioned eariler, sorry, but it was announced recently that Doom 3 is going to be released to the Xbox April 4th.

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:34 »

so wait... they're going to port a PC game that wants 1.5ghz, 384mb of fast ram, and a really good graphics card... to what is effectively a several year old low end computer with, I think, somewhere in the range of a 700mhz processor

I suppose, if you removed skeletal animations, mesh deformations, real time lighting, the flashlight, shadows, bump mapping... all the monsters... any object that can move... it might be playable on xbox...
XBox: the ultimate in Menu Rendering

BlueCoatKarma

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2005, 13:38 »

Doom3 for Xbox:

YOU OPEN A DOOR. IT IS DARK.
>turn on flashlight
THERE AN INFINITY OF DEMON-MONSTERS.
>shoot them
[Controller has come unplugged. Please reinsert the controller.]
YOU KILL ALL THE MONSTERS. THERE IS A BUTTON.
>press it
YOU WIN! PLAY AGAIN (Y/N)?

Okay, so in case you couldn't tell I never actually played one of those text adventures and I don't have an Xbox... but I think I've nailed the spiritual essence of it, right?

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2005, 13:44 »

you have, in fact, nailed it.

Your light goes out.
You are eaten by a cyberdemon.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2005, 14:41 »

Well, you have to keep in mind, the Xbox's hardware is built for games and only games, whereas the hardware for a pc is built to do other tasks and is not focused on the capabilities for games. After all, They've pulled off more on the Xbox than their card should have allowed as it is.

stupendousbadass

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2005, 14:42 »

C'mon guys, I enjoy X-box bashing as much as the next man, but it won't be quite that bad. Consider that it will be running in 640X480 resolution, and that it's running on a dedicated games machine unencumbered by such things as windows and other resource drains. When you think about it, the gameplay is probably more suited to an X-box audience anyway. PC gamers have this weird desire for storyline and stuff.

BlueCoatKarma

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2005, 14:52 »

Which reminds me, despite what everyone says, the whole lighting system in Doom 3 was already done a year earlier in Deus Ex: Invisible War. Doom 3 fans like to ignore this... anyway, that game ran on XBox (much to my dissapointment, since it ruined the PC version due to being cross-developed.) Then again, it didn't have the same quality of other things... it still barely ran on a high-end PC.

stupendousbadass

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2005, 14:57 »

Yeah, I did notice that when I played invisible war. I also noticed that it had some degree of HL2 style physics simulation. It wasn't too bad but it didn't really live up to either though.

edit: a thought occurs - they didn't use an earlier version of Havok physics or something did they?

BlueCoatKarma

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2005, 16:06 »

They most certainly did - HL2 did as well. Doom 3 didn't though - that was an in-house thing.

stupendousbadass

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2005, 16:13 »

hmmm. I guess Half-Life 2 showed it off the best. Even without the grav-gun, it makes DM quite entertaining. And I don't agree with people who say the physics puzzles were over-used in single player. Damn, Half-Life 2 was good.

Jiperly

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2005, 16:45 »

Pfft- you're all just too far from your Xbox......mines never disconnected between gaming....

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #42 on: 10 Feb 2005, 18:45 »

NES > *

noirakita

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2005, 19:03 »

come on guys, why don't we all play a nice happy game of Katamary Damacy?  Too bad it's one player.  still, lots of enjoyment on your own.  almost as good as certain things that are done on ones own  ;-D

*giggles insanely as she rolls over yet another person/cow/telephone/piece of sushi/handcuffs/building/cloud...*

-noirakita

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2005, 19:04 »

Quote from: stupendousbadass
hmmm. I guess Half-Life 2 showed it off the best. Even without the grav-gun, it makes DM quite entertaining. And I don't agree with people who say the physics puzzles were over-used in single player. Damn, Half-Life 2 was good.

The physics puzzles were fun. Shit, I had more fun with the physics engine than the actual game.

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #45 on: 10 Feb 2005, 19:04 »

These are for when you're very bad.
Or very good.

noirakita

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2005, 19:09 »

aaah yes the info about the handcuffs.  I personally like the one for peaches.

a butt-shaped fruit that tastes a lot better than butts.

:-D

-noirakita

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Re: Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #47 on: 11 Feb 2005, 05:31 »

Quote from: zzyzx
Doom3 was supposed to scare, Half-Life2 did a better job scaring me than Doom3.

Amen. Revenholme and the mines scared the crap out of me. Those poison headcrabs are VICIOUS.

Having said that, Doom 3 does have one serious advantage on the atmosphere stakes - the light. Ravenholme was dark and claustrophobic (not to mention full of screaming insane zombie berserkers), but at least you could have your light on and fight at the same time. Doom 3 took the either/or approach, - you could see, or you could shoot. God help you if you found yourself going toe-to-toe with a triad of imps in the dark, because beating them to death with the torch is impossible, and you can't see where they are to shoot them.

I hate that, but my god does it make the actual battles in the dark terrifying.

Ravenholme was scary because it was full of shadows and tough, strong monsters. But at least you could SEE the monsters to shoot them. Doom 3 was terrifying because half the time you were firing blind with guns that barely did the job.

Sure, I'd have preferred some more powerful weaponry in Doom 3. The shotgun REALLY sucked ass, for example. But this is a minor niggle in a technically excellent game.

Both games have merits, I think. Doom 3 is slightly the inferior of the two, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it sucks. It's a solid and powerful FPS in its own right. The only game of 2004 that it really compares unfavourably to is HL2.

It does have one MAJOR advantage, however - no Steam. Fuck you, valve.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

painQuin

Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #48 on: 11 Feb 2005, 07:08 »

actually, by numbers the shotgun is almost the most powerful weapon in the game
at point blank range you can take out just about any non-boss creature in under three shots, most in just one
of course, have fun getting to point blank range
I've actually heard people complain that it was too easy because two point blank shotgun blasts took out nearly everything in the game, and I'm thinking "turn off god mode and try it, then you can complain"

thing about the shotgun was the spread. a few feet makes all the difference.
unlike Quake's shotgun... allow me to find a reference...
ah, http://djquake.quakepit.com/archives.php?cid=41
that sums it up nicely

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Doom3, "teh sux"?
« Reply #49 on: 11 Feb 2005, 07:18 »

I wouldn't have minded the flashlight if you could have only used the pistol with it, but still had to switch away to use the heavy stuff.  There's just no explanation for why this guy is incapable of carrying two things at once.

Mind you, it'd be funny if they put that in the movie.
Guy spots a demon - sorry, infected zombie-type man - with his flashlight, put's it away in his pocket, drwas his handgun, fires a shot, holsters the gun, takes out the flashlight again, and check the zombie guy.  He's still coming.
Repeat.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up