THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've been playing around with this idea...  (Read 3945 times)

Sweet Nuthin

I've been playing around with this idea...
« on: 08 Feb 2005, 15:06 »

I want to start a comic for my friends, and I just want to get critiques on my technique.  I want to try something I've never done before, eg, not drawing in the head or neck outlines, and I know I could use some practice on proper placement of certain facial features, but do you think it could work?  

Here's the first one I drew.  I realize that I will probably change the say I draw/write it as I go but do you have any pointers for starters?  I also apologize for the scanning quality- I tried my best.

Here ya go.

(note- this is a stretch for me.  usually I'm a stick figure kinda girl)

Jiperly

« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2005, 16:46 »

I like it

Are they supposed to have lines for their skin, or is that the "style" of the comic?(floating eyes with hair helping to define the face outline)- because if it is, it won't work too well once you put color in the background- forcing you to stay with hues(black and white) or abandon it...

The eye expressions are prime, the clothes are simplistic(no wrinkles anywhere?), as with all new artists, the hands need some work(the hardest thing to accomplish), and you may want to define the two males with different features, ie different hair style/color, different noses, ect, to avoid confusion.

And, of course, if that was scanned, you'd want to clean it up by using a program to trace your scanned image(i believe photoshop does that), and will definately want to work either on your lettering or use/purchase a computer font.

Also, the head on the clark character is a little big, even though theres no outline.

But it looks really well done- i'd be interested in seeing the next one.

lost in storm

« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2005, 17:21 »

Dude, have you ever seen the first No 4th Wall comics? You have nothing to worry about. :D

Sweet Nuthin

« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2005, 18:21 »

I..don't have Photoshop.  *dies of shame*  But I don't think that would be too much of a problem, as I only put that one up online to get tips.  I'm just drawing it for sport.  But I really do want to figure out a way to color it in without adding in outlines...maybe I could just shade the background and have that form the outlines, too.  But the black and white doesn't bother me too much.  Hm... And hands are hella hard.  I usually hide them in pockets or behind backs...

Thanks so much!  You've been a big help.

Jiperly

« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2005, 06:30 »

Tell est that! He's pissed off at me for being an asshole and posting pointless posts!

oh wait.....shit!

torg

« Reply #5 on: 09 Feb 2005, 07:03 »

Quote from: Sweet Nuthin
I..don't have Photoshop.  *dies of shame*

Try The Gimp (www.gimp.org).  It's free, works on Linux and Windows and is nearly as good as Photoshop.

lost in storm

« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2005, 09:33 »

Yaaaay, open source! The Gimp is fine for what you need—excellent, versatile, and even *gasp* freeeeee! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up