THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 20:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: The Forced Listening Thread  (Read 266316 times)

Praeserpium Machinarum

The Forced Listening Thread
« Reply #100 on: 13 Apr 2005, 04:05 »

fine, I'll do it with the risk of being slain by the mighty warriors of Europa

Ancient Rites-(Ode to) Ancient Europa

They don't mean this seriously right? Because it sounds like they are doing a good job at a parody of dead metal. This, I am sure, is an acquired taste, but despite the novelty factor and the pretty good musicianship, the insane drums(which I think is a drum machine, again), this is just wasted on me. I think odd, when you think awesome ;)

two suggestions, the first one is a wma file, and the other one mp3 in case you dont have Window Media Player(unlikely but still)

Jomi Massage - Just keep going straight
http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1O9QN2PE9TBCE2BS70P4OGCYN0

Zombina and the Skeletons-Deadalive
http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KT9GA318SQYB21XP3ROO6MDE8

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #101 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:15 »

Yeah. Ancient Rites have a great drum machine. He's about six feet tall and called Walter...

Could you not even find space or scope to comment on the actual music at all? The terseness and generic nature of your response makes me kind of doubt you even listened to it at all...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #102 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:39 »

I told you I was biased, but I did listen to it, I just didn't think there was much to say...

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #103 on: 13 Apr 2005, 08:54 »

Zombina and the Skeletons - Deadalive

Having just listened to that, I can't decide yet if I liked it. It sounded like punk or something, but it also sounds like something out of Grease.
While listening: It starts out with a sort of spooky buzz, promising something interesting. The drums seem a bit at odds with it, but then the vocals pop in and kill it. Nasal, repetetive, can't understand a word. And again, Grease comes to mind- people going ooOOOooo in the back, a fast drum or something keeping up..

in an attempt to be fair, i'll use Malphas' system.
1) Opinion (07/20) maybe it'll grow on me.. maybe.
2) Genre (10/20) i don't even know what to call it.
3) Instruments (08/20) there's skill i suppose, but it's repetitive
4) Lyrics (03/20) what the hell
5) Unique (15/20) never heard anything like this (but that was a good thing)

so Deadalive gets a 43/100.

I suggest:
Band- Skindred. Song- Nobody. Album- Babylon
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1A2LRXMUL4O2D0OAY5WWB1FQBL
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Mockery

« Reply #104 on: 13 Apr 2005, 09:05 »

I call!

Gimme a minute here...

Edit: Okay, gimme a minute more, I'll have to get iTunes player

Mockery

« Reply #105 on: 13 Apr 2005, 09:28 »

Right, I've heard this song many times in a slightly different version, I think.
I believe it's on the soundtrack of Need For Speed: Underground - 2

That aside, here goes:

1) Opinion (12/20) not especially brilliant, but it's punchy
2) Genre  (14/20) I like this sort of genre generally
3) Instruments (13/20) Fairly standard, I like to have meaty guitar sounds
4) Lyrics (08/20) Not terribly imaginative, quite repetitive
5) Unique (09/20) Fair bit like it out there, i think

So, 56/100 for Skindred - Nobody

And now for something completely different, hope you like it!

2NU - Ponderous

Wow, blackmadness, yousendit is a great site!

Two_Tone

« Reply #106 on: 13 Apr 2005, 14:54 »

The Tossers-Purgatory
Great Pouges-esque Irish rock from Chicago.

Hoborg

« Reply #107 on: 13 Apr 2005, 15:04 »

2NU - Ponderous

This song sounds like some guy having a lot of fun with a casio keyboard. I got nothing against casio keyboards, the SK1 was the shit, and Wesley Willis was friggin' brilliant. In this song he uses it in a very gimmicky way along with beat-poetry, so blatantly gimmicky that it is clearly some sort of joke. But thats about as far as the novelty of it goes, there is nothing really that interesting about it aside from the ironic gimmicky style. The lyrics sound like something you come up with while high that you think is really brilliant but then look at later and realise is pretty stupid, which adds to the style of it I guess but dosen't do much for bringing the song past a one-time novelty. Worth a listen, but I have no real desire to listen to it again.

6/10
Next song:
Black Moth Super Rainbow - I Think It Is Beautiful That You Are 256 Colors Too

mechorg

« Reply #108 on: 13 Apr 2005, 15:56 »

I'm listening to it right now, I'll give you a report in a few. :)

Okay now:
This reminds me of a crazy morph of Polyphonic Spree and Boards of Canada...  sorry, thats the first thing that popped into my head.  I kinda dig it, because I like the whole simplified electronic sounds.  It puts you in a happy mood, but some of the electronic trills get a little too poppy.  If you're the type that likes to sulk, you'd probably just hate this song.  This would be great for the credits to George Lucas' THX-1138 film.
If fit really well into my playlist of The Notwist, Bonobo and Mum.  Now its saved on my hard drive, thanks. :)
My Score: 7/10

Next:
The Stranglers - Golden Brown
(I really like that upload link, I'll have to figure out how to do that.)

Hoborg

« Reply #109 on: 13 Apr 2005, 18:02 »

just go to www.yousendit.com , type in any email address, and upload the file. Wait a while and itll give you a link where anyone can download that file. I hadnt used it before till now, it is really damn cool.

BTW, there are a few more BMSR songs on their website. I think "start a people" is a really amazing album. Its bright and nostalgic but sometimes with kind of dark undertones, it is a lot like BoC.

Psiogen

« Reply #110 on: 13 Apr 2005, 18:15 »

Quote from: mechorg
Next:
The Stranglers - Golden Brown

Interesting. I've only heard one song of theirs before, and this is pretty different. Closer to prog rock than new wave—I dunno what time signature all those baroque synths are in, but it's not a normal one. Very pretty song, with a cool jazzy vibe. I like it.

1) Opinion (15/20) A catchy, likeable, laid-back pop song.
2) Genre (12/20) Uh...pop-prog? Yeah, I can dig that.
3) Instruments (15/20) Nice playing all around.
4) Lyrics (10/20) Even the lyrics sound proggy. Could be Peter Hammill or something. Nothing wrong with 'em, but I don't find them inspiring either. Also, the title phrase makes me think of gravy, which isn't really a good thing.
5) Unique (08/20) It definitely resembles a lot of prog, but it doesn't sound quite like anyone in particular.

60/100

NEXT SONG: Keith Tippett—"This is What Happens"

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #111 on: 13 Apr 2005, 19:40 »

Keith Tippett—"This is What Happens"

The first thing that really hit me about this was how amazing the percussion is. I'm a sucker for good drumming, and this has it in spades giving the track one hell of a backbone and pushing it along with an insistent rhythm. Not that this is the only good side, the other instruments give it a great, well sway might be a good word which rather makes me wish I could dance well in order to do it justice. And just when you think you know where it's going it shuts itself down and restarts with some repetitive piano and saxophone squawks to finish, and I do like a song to throw me a curveball. I'll have to look into this group some more.
9/10

Next: Rites of Spring - "For Want Of"
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Mockery

« Reply #112 on: 13 Apr 2005, 21:19 »

Rites of Spring - For Want Of:

I've listened to it three times now, and every time it seems so much like the rest of my collection, or what I hear on JJJ* that i don't notice every time it finishes and I forget it. I guess that means it's good, for me. Singer sounds a little interesting, but I can't place who the three or so people are who i think he sounds like a combination of. It may be a little that the vocals sometimes sound a little too intense for the relatively light-sounding instrumentals

I'll give this song a 75% rating: It doesn't stand out as being totally awesome, but there's nothing wrong with it either, and i think i'll be liking it.

Next up: Palladium, a group from Brisbane, Oz.
Their song, Good Girl

Patatat

« Reply #113 on: 13 Apr 2005, 22:07 »

Palladium-Good Girl

My Review:
They seem like a mainstream 90's band, that didn't quite make it. It got my feet tappin' ,but its nothing that I would listen to regular. If it was on the radio, I might stop to listen to it. Then again, its really not my thing. So thats probablly why I wasn't all hop-skotch crazy for it. I can see why you like it though, its not bad. Just not my thing.
8/10

------

My song.

M83-Run into Flowers

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #114 on: 14 Apr 2005, 05:49 »

Quote from: Mockery
Singer sounds a little interesting, but I can't place who the three or so people are who i think he sounds like a combination of.

If you're familiar with Fugazi then he might be reminding you of them, since Rites of Spring was Guy Picciotto's old band but like Ian Mackaye he changed his vocal style quite a lot from his earlier work.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

mechorg

« Reply #115 on: 14 Apr 2005, 15:33 »

Quote from: Patatat

My song.

M83-Run into Flowers

Okay, I really can't wait to see them at Coachella this year now.  My previous exposure to M83 was just enough to get me interested but not enough to search any more of their music out.  I think I'll have to work on that.
This song is a good and loud song of grandeur for a finale.  Some of the cymbal loops get a little obnoxious being louder than the rest of the song.  It took a little knob adjusting to get it sounding good to my ears.  I love the strings and wide open chords!  It gives you the affect of cranking up the amp on a keyboard and pounding a major chord that stands for 4 minutes.  Its these wonderful chords and progressions that make me love M83 so much.

My Score:  8/10
(I'm a harsh critic, but its a good score for me.)

Next:
Boy Robot - Don't Panic It's Organic

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #116 on: 14 Apr 2005, 22:06 »

Well, there really was no danger of me panicking here. Good grief. Boredom. The song scarcely bloody changes all the way though. One beat, no lyrics, no impact, no variation, no fun. Nice lift music though.

Sorry If I'm terse and harsh, but I really can't think of anything more to say.

1/10

Jeeves! Bring forth the Celtic Battle Metal!

Waylander - Born to the Fight
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Crowebert

« Reply #117 on: 14 Apr 2005, 22:33 »

Wow. That is very interesting. I can't say that I've heard much metal like that... Pennywhistle and electric guitars. Huh. Reminds me of a minimalist Edenbridge.

Neat track the first time, but I don't think it has much staying power. 2/10.

Next:
The Jimmy Swift Band - Now They Will Know We Were Here.
(I apologize in advance for the flash interface. Midway down the page on the right side. Go to the bottom of the list for the version from the debut album; it's shorter than the live version.)

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #118 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:56 »

Quote from: Crowebert
The Jimmy Swift Band - Now They Will Know We Were Here.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't really catch my attention.  (which is exactly why I normally don't listen to stuff like this)

The song starts with a sort of catchy bass line.  One thing i noticed pretty quickly, or rather, didn't notice, was the lack of vocals (until the end, that is.)

The whole song sounded kind of progressive / experimental.  Something like Gordian Knot or Aghora (not AS progressive as these bands but similar.)  There was also a bit of electronics used in this song.

I wish I had more to say about it, but that's about it.  I'd give it probably a 5/10.

My song is Craft - Hidden Under The Skin

http://www.moribundcult.com/mp3/dead44.mp3

if you don't like any kind of metal you probably will very much hate this, haha.  Hellrockin' Darkthrone-style black metal

Robbo

« Reply #119 on: 15 Apr 2005, 13:14 »

My song is Craft - Hidden Under The Skin

Hmmm, never been one to go into the areas of less know Black Metal bands. I did not like the THUNK THUNK drumming to start, but onces the rest kicks off it's good.

I love the riff from about a minute in though. And when it comes back at about 3:15...ok so it's sort of like current Satyricon which might not be seen as great to most BM fans but I liked it.

Everything sounded good and Black Metal, certainly can't complain about the Darkthrone likness. Didnt catch me too much as being anything that different or great to start with. But then I got into the BM and it improved a bit. I probably need to hear more of the band.

7/10 for being solid, decent with some cool parts and having promise for the rest of the band.

My song Snowsleep - The Temple of Loneliness. For something a bit different.

http://files.mp3.com.au/download.asp?id=47677&Type=MP3&ReferURL=

EDIT: Right Click and Save As. Dont worry about what it says for the name, should give you the mp3 track.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #120 on: 15 Apr 2005, 17:49 »

Snowsleep - The Temple of Loneliness

Fairly dull ambient 80's synth style start
Doesn't seem to change much later on
Is almost 7 minutes long
Very, very boring. And also unoriginal. The word "sleep" is in this case highly appropriate. 2/10

Anyway, here I am to save this thread from the overwhelming quantities of crap metal that I'm sure it has been...overwhelmed...by, with what is possibly the anti-metal: ska.

My choice - Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Went Numb

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #121 on: 15 Apr 2005, 18:24 »

Hmm. That was actually better than a lot of Ska I've heard. This was something to do with the vocalist not being too annoying. The quality of the brass section was varying. Sometimes it was quite good. Sometimes, annoying. Seemed somewhat without variation of riffage or whatever it is anyway. Not really too offensive. I still don't get why people dance to this stuff in such a retarded manner though.

6/10. Probably the best Ska song I've ever heard, actually.

Now, THIS I can perfectly understand dancing in a retarded manner to. I do it often myself:

Finntroll - Forsvinn Du Som Lyser

HUMPAA!!

Mockery

« Reply #122 on: 15 Apr 2005, 21:29 »

Finntroll - Forsvinn Du Som Lyser

Heheheheeeee! Funny, funny!

From the point of view of an uneducated Australian"
Vocals sound like Rammstein
(bear in mind i have no idea what the words are, they could equally be saying either "hug each other and dance around" or "slay kittens and bathe in their blood" for all I know)
Instruments sound like the village fair in some remote european village about 100-odd years ago
I swear I heard someone calling out "Yeee-haw!" in the background a few times

Death Country/Folk/Western?

This is probably the most bizarre song I've ever listened to (but if u check my earlier post of 2NU, you might disagree)
It's catchy and slightly infectious, but didn't make me dance. I wiggled my head a little, and broke out in a silly grin of bemusement, but I don't think I'll be hanging onto this track for star quality or anything.

3.5/10

This next track comes from a little-known Perth band called Halogen, from their album 'Save The Ones You Love'.
Happy Listening...

Halogen - On A Bridge (5.8MB wma)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #123 on: 15 Apr 2005, 21:34 »

It's Acoustic Troll Metal to be precise. Basically metal vocalled Humpaa (Finnish Polka).

As for the lyrics...guess two was more accurate:

Begone You Who Shine

A scream now echoes, the midnight roars
Black evil, paints the sky
Broken itself loose, left its shackles
Soon revenged old evil deeds

The earth shakes where the roar is heard
All over murder and evil is done
Mud drowns forest and mountain
Black may now be the colour of the sky

Raven and crow their food now get
They follow the path where death goes
The sun is covered, not shines anymore
Enveloped now by blood and mud

Robbo

« Reply #124 on: 16 Apr 2005, 03:08 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
Is almost 7 minutes long

And? I have tracks that are 70 minutes long.

Anyway, Halogen - On A Bridge.

Hmm, the Female vox are ok if very singer/songwriter-ish. The backing just builds then goes nowhere and you get the boring snare/symbol work of doom. Then guitars come back in with some generic dirty playing and the vocals take a dive. And that same plucking continues through the song. Then the vocals returng to being ok. Is the distorted guitar ment to be impressive? And of course the vocals suck again the more the band play.

3/10. Playing is fine but never does anything a 3month starter couldn't. At attempt at atmosphere is ruined due to bad direction changes and the vocals headding the wrong way. Nice and simple background stuff, but has been done better, either with more skill or far more atmosphere.

Next up Naked City - Thrash Jazz Assassin from the Torture Garden album.

http://www.robbo.oeck.net/Stuff/Naked_City_-_Thrash_Jazz_Assassin.mp3

Mikendher

« Reply #125 on: 17 Apr 2005, 06:57 »

Review of Next up Naked City - Thrash Jazz Assassin from the Torture Garden album.

Well, there's some guitar skill there, I'll give them that much. Though it seems to be wasted on a collection of terrible sound that do not sound good together. At one point this very harsh sound comes in that almost sounds like a person whining with distortion (imagine how much that would suck in real life). I guess the title fits the song then. However, since it's not my kind of music in general, I'll be a tiny bit lenient with a 4/10

My song is Elliott Smith - Can't Make A Sound

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #126 on: 17 Apr 2005, 07:01 »

Download link please?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #128 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:21 »

First impression: Sounds a bit like Simon and Garfunkle. But, er, more boring. Kicks up a bit toward the end, but still somewhat...I don't know, drab possibly. Not too keen on the vocals, but still, not a bad song though, really. Just not my cup of tea. I think it probably deserves about a 5.5/10.

You know what you guys need? A good dose of Dan Swano.

Edge of Sanity - Blood-Coloured

Everyone's favourite overly long-haired, silver-tongued progster shows us that, yes, clean vox and Melodic Death Metal were built for one another.

Yes, he has a band playing with him, but ignore them. They are an extraneous entity.

Mockery

« Reply #129 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:33 »

This song is completely awesome.
I was just like, wow. Cool.

Apart from that, I think somebody else should review it, I like it too much to be objective.

Robbo

« Reply #130 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:35 »

Hey, review it. It's about time people actually started liking this stuff.

Mockery

« Reply #131 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:50 »

Re: My last post...

I was referring to the Elliot Smith Track.

On the Edge of Sanity, I have no comment.

Robbo

« Reply #132 on: 18 Apr 2005, 04:29 »

Man, you people suck. Listen, it's not gonna kill you.

Psiogen

« Reply #133 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:37 »

As someone who isn't a connoisseur of the genre, I'm kinda at a loss... It has a good solid riff, I guess. I appreciate the clean vocals (and depreciate the non-clean vocals.) I enjoy it, but it's not really the kind of thing that gets under my skin. That's not the song's fault—I'd probably feel the same way about most any death metal track you came up with. Some genres have values that overlap strongly with my own. Metal doesn't.

5.5/10

Next: http://sylvanmigdal.com/stuff/XTC-Young_Cleopatra.mp3">XTC - Young Cleopatra (Demo)
I'm sure these guys are well known around here, but this is a relatively obscure song from a fan-club-only cassette (different from the version that was finally released on CD recently.)

Robbo

« Reply #134 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:51 »

Quote from: Psiogen
Next: http://sylvanmigdal.com/stuff/XTC-Young_Cleopatra.mp3">XTC - Young Cleopatra (Demo)

Certainly sounds like it's off a fan club tape. And like some bouncy MTV pop band a well. Vocals sound like something from an old two tone band. Simple playing that doesn't go anywhere and doesn't any sort of feeling or atmosphere. Even the lack of production can't hide there's nothing to it. Some of the electronic sounds must be coming from a childs first mini keyboard. No good points.

1/10 because it's not that long.

Now for: http://www.robbo.oeck.net/Stuff/Ayreon_-_Day_Twelve_-_Trauma.mp3">Ayreon - Day Twelve: Trauma

Something from the Metal Opera that is The Human Equation. You get a cookie for knowing all the five vocalists on this one. And the star prise if you know what parts they're playing.

As for background, the album is someone trapped in a coma, with various vocalists playing the parts of his emotions in his inner struggle. Fear the opera goodness, fear it. Just so you have no reason to say you dont understand.

Psiogen

« Reply #135 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:57 »

Har har.

Mockery

« Reply #136 on: 18 Apr 2005, 06:50 »

Ayreon - Day Twelve: Trauma

Well, for a 15MB download, it wasn't actually a complete waste of traffic usage. Although it's not my usual niche, I'm impressed by this song. It has quite good vocals, powerful atmosphere in places and it's actually intelligible.

I'll say 7/10.

I meant no offense by not reviewing the Edge of Sanity track, I just somehow found myself unable to comment. Too long without sleep i suppose. Now I hear it again, the music is pretty solid, but I don't find it anything amazing, and I'm a bit turned off by the whole 'metal voice becos it's metal' thang.

Another comment: this seems to be a fairly binary thread, alternating between metal fans who find the other stuff too light, and fans of the lighter stuff, who are a bit scared by the metal. I think if you're going to dish out a low score because a track resembles nothing else in your collection, perhaps you should leave it for someone who might appreciate it a bit more...
I'm not saying everyone's doing it, but i think it's happened a couple of times, so don't go jumping down my throat (I am a tiger after all)

For my next trick, I mean track:
A Melbourne band, fairly new
67 Special - Hey There Bomb (5.3MB wma)

Robbo

« Reply #137 on: 18 Apr 2005, 06:55 »

Oh, and if you want to know the vocalists on the track:

Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) as Reason
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) as Fear
Devon Graves (Dead Soul Tribe, Aslan) as Agony
Irene Jansen (Karma) as Passion
Magnus Ekwall (The Quill) as Pride

Mikael as always brings the greatness in both clean and Death vox.

As for Metal fans finding stuff to light comment, I disagree, it's more a case of them showing no of the instrument focused playing that Metal is about in large.

And this is a forced listening thread, to be listening to stuff you dont know and normally wouldn't. It even workds sometimes. But yes, doing a mass of reviews and calling things total shit is bit a pointless.

Robbo

« Reply #138 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:27 »

Quote from: Mockery

I meant no offense by not reviewing the Edge of Sanity track, I just somehow found myself unable to comment. Too long without sleep i suppose. Now I hear it again, the music is pretty solid, but I don't find it anything amazing, and I'm a bit turned off by the whole 'metal voice becos it's metal' thang.

Didnt notice this last part before. But the Death vocals, they need to be there. Because it's Death Metal and one of the key points that draws Death apart from Thrash and other things is the vocals. Without it, it's not Death. They're a well practiced art and in some cases should just be looked at as an insturment (see Lord Worm and people like him). Also, I invite you to do a two hour show with those vocals for 15 years or so and still be able to speak.

But certainly, there's no set clean vocal style for Metal, some people and great clean vocals, some point. Some people some much, much better doing extreme vox. For Dan, his Death vox is solid and mid range, though not amazingly deep or distorted as great Death vocals are, but his clean vocals are amazin buy any standards.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #139 on: 18 Apr 2005, 09:08 »

The intro got me into a good mood. The guitars are nice and rockish. The vocalist not quite my thing, but not appaling either. Not very sure about the keyboards, but the bits where it starts rocking harder are pretty damn nice actually. Bit repetitive but it doesn't really show up.

7.8/10. Nice track.

Now, let's just have a nice, safe, all-female band.

Matriarch - Black Apples

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #140 on: 18 Apr 2005, 10:47 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Now, let's just have a nice, safe, all-female band.

Matriarch - Black Apples

First thing that struck me about this track is. . goddamn that's a girl doing the death growls?  People say Angela Gossow has brutal vocals for a chick. . they should hear this girl!  The keyboards strike me as kind of pointless around 1:00 into it. . they don't really "fit" very well.  The high pitch girl singing vocals are not too bad, though I usually stay away from that kind of stuff aside from the occasional female vocalist in doom metal.  The spoken word parts, why do they have a british accent? This band is from Puerto Rico, right?  haha, she kind of sounds like Sarah from COF.   Things start to get better at around 4:40, the guitars + the mid-range vocals carry a kind of groove to them.  This part has decent keyboards, they actually fit.  

All in all, I think this band has potential, though they have some work to do.  I give this song a 5/10.

My song:

Leviathan - Fucking Your Ghost In Chains Of Ice
http://www.moribundcult.com/mp3/dead43.mp3

Very bizarre black metal off of Leviathan's most depressing release, The Tenth Sublevel of Suicide.

Hoborg

« Reply #141 on: 18 Apr 2005, 16:51 »

This is the most tolerable black metal I have ever listened to. I'd even say it's good! I am kind of biased against the genre, the double-bass-drum-blasting/constant noise/repetitiveness of black metal has never been my thing. (I only ever liked black metal because they dress up rediculously and look hilarious.) This has some melodic elements and rhythm changes, and a nice slow, dark part toward the end. They have kind of a unique growl too. Not bad at all, I wanted to listen to it again after it was done (and did, despite the shitty mp3 quality). Still, I got bored during the machine-gun-drum bits.

Next -

Themselves - Good People Check

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #142 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:10 »

Themselves - Good People Check

I have heard a little about Doseone and his work with cLOUDDEAD, but never actually heard it. I like it, it may be rap, but it is lightyears from 50 Cent and others. The beat(or beats) are emotive and created a special mood, it is a little difficult to hear what they rap about, and it doesn't become easier from the two rappers raps at the same time mostly. But I am pretty certain it's not about bitches and PARTY;), very much enjoyed, and the ending was priceless with someone whistling a bit from the theme of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly(isn't that the one?)

8/10

Figurines - Rivalry
http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2UE5WLO11QK2R0O0LADBE1K0CM

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #143 on: 25 Apr 2005, 14:58 »

7/10

Very good song, all in all. Towards the end on the vocal part it was become a slight bit repetive and i had a nagging little fear that it would continue in similar vein, but nope. I liked the melow end, particularly the 'waaaing' that finishs it off - a classy way to go out. Apart from that, pleasant vocal and though instrumentally it wasn't inovative or anything, it was good enough for what it is. Like I said, very good.

Up Next:

Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes
http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QEV8DL4016YU2ZHUXVOHYMMZT
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Robbo

« Reply #144 on: 26 Apr 2005, 09:29 »

Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes

Starts off almost folk like before it actually picks up. The instrument section is pretty decent but the vocals are horrible generic indie stuff and all the good instrument stuff falls away as soon as he start singing as well. Then he stops singing and it picks up again for a few seconds when it's good again before he starts again. I guess he thinks the lyrics are cool or something, when they're not. The off kilter indie folk instrumental stuff is good. Everything where he sings is really bad and it ruins the song.

3/10

Ulver - Kledt I Nattens Farger

http://www.robbo.oeck.net/Stuff/Ulver_-_Kledt_I_Nattens_Farger.mp3

MilkmanDan

« Reply #145 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:01 »

I must admit, this review is going to be very similer to the previous one.
Again, a quite nice, but not hugely exciting guitar part is totally destroyed by terrible vocals. Then the vocals end, and you get more quite nice guitar. Seriously though, these guys were horrible. (It was guys, right? I only listened to it about 5 minutes ago, and I've already forgotten. Doubtless it will come back to me in a therepy session 30 years from now, as my mind finally comes to terms with the horror. I'm exagerating.) Droning, tuneless, off-time dirgery. Plus i have no idea what they are on about, as I don't speak whatever. So, pretty similar to the Palindrome one, but the palindrome guitar bit > this guitar bit, and the Palindrome vocal bit >> this one.

3/10

My song! Venetian Snares - Hajnal, from the album 'Rossz Csillag Allat Született'.
It is nearly 8 minutes long, please don't panic. 8 minutes is NOT a long song. I don't want you skipping ahead either, dammit. Just sit back and enjoy it (Or hate it, if you're that way inclined).

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #146 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:55 »

damn, robbo, that's harsh hehe - I love that song... but no hard feelings :)

ok, as to the song at hand:

Venetian Snares - Hajnal

Ok - so it starts of with a string arangement, an enjoyable one too, with very good varienty. Then it slowly builds up, a few instruments poking their head out into the dominant strings, and then transitions into a piano driven segment before the strings pick up again. Kinda makes me think of a duel.

Then it gets very interesting, with some heavy drumming and some erratic sound effects joyning the frey, though the highlight is still a lone violin that's stugling to be heard.

An AFX-like explosion of sound of wildly erratic drumming and sounds takes over towards the end, with orchestral bits fading into the background, then the noise ceases abrubtly and allows a mellow finale of cello and violin.

ok, so i might be off on some of the precise instruments used, but the point remains this: I loved it. Great progression of sound, culminating in a overwhelming noise-driven crescendo...  

Thank you milkman - i do believe I shall try some more of what these guys (girls?) have to offer later tonight.

Verdict - personally i'd say around 8/9 out of 10 (probably more around the 9, but I'll have to give it another few listens)

As for the next track try:

65 days of static - aren't we all running?
(twiddling fingers waiting for it to upload - if anyone gets in before me I'll be pissed hehe - ahh... there we go)
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2AGIW623VD2NE01C18QE9QI3KW

.loyal.
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Robbo

« Reply #147 on: 26 Apr 2005, 13:02 »

MilkmanDan really doesn't like real Folk it seems.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #148 on: 26 Apr 2005, 13:05 »

Venetian Snares - Hajnal - 8 or a 9.  Though not the songs fault.  If I wasn't at work and in a more relaxing sitting (spliffed maybe even) this would easily have a 10.  

65 days of Static.  They tend to blend using noise and glitchyness very well together.  I like it though it gets a bet repetitive there was enough variation going on that it wasn't annoyingly so.

I'll go with an 8 out of 10.

Minibosses - Megaman 2

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #149 on: 26 Apr 2005, 13:17 »

Quote from: Robbo
MilkmanDan really doesn't like real Folk it seems.

now now - let's not allow this civilised forced listening thread into a uncivilised COMMUNIST FORCED LABOUR CAMP FOR PEOPLE WITH DIVERGENT VIEWS TO THOSE OF THE ALMIGHTY SECRETARY OF THE PARTY. That would be bad for all those involved. Especially the children, with their soft bones and crushable skulls. They wouldn't survive more than 5 minutes in a well disciplined gulag. But that's ok, cause the provisions are a little on the low side and there's only so much rat one cat eat in a day.

But I digress.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up