THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 21:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures?  (Read 49325 times)

supervixen024

Guilty Pleasures?
« on: 09 Feb 2005, 19:14 »

So, amongst all you indie hipsters here, tell me, what are the bands that you are ashamed to admit you listen to?

I mean, what are the bands, or the singers, that you absolutely LOVE, but everyone else seems to think you're crazy for liking?

It can be as simple as a song--one song.  Because EVERYONE has a song that they dance around to and sing along to in their cars...only when no one else is around.

Mine?

I have a few.  Sad to say, I really like that song by Sir Mixalot.  You know the one I mean.  And if you don't, count yourself lucky.

swordskill

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2005, 19:27 »

new found glory...

BlueCoatKarma

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2005, 19:43 »

I guess I don't actually consider anything I listen to a guilty pleasure, except Third Eye Blind. There are a few bands that I enjoy for nostalgia reasons (Millencolin, Dropkick Murpheys) that I otherwise wouldn't enjoy, so I guess those kinda count.

I don't count musicals as a guilty pleasure, which is in stark contrast to most people (and by "most people" I mean those who don't listen to musicals.)

Vertical Stripes

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2005, 20:11 »

Kelly Clarkson.   But actually only a few songs, so it's not THAT dirty of a little secret.

I'm just waiting for someone to say Leslie Carter.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2005, 20:32 »

Sum 41. Prozzak.

That is all.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

xeno

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #5 on: 09 Feb 2005, 20:54 »

Hilary Duff.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2005, 21:04 »

Oh, man.

Mnementh

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #7 on: 09 Feb 2005, 21:43 »

ABBA, Ace of Base, Avril Lavigne, lots of big 80's, and Rush.  To name a few.

mAlice aforeThought

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2005, 21:53 »

ace ov base
britney spears
christian death
the crüxshadows
new order
orgy
outkast
sir mix-a-lot / vanilla ice
stella soleil
VNV nation
wolfsheim
12rods

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2005, 22:07 »

Rush.. wow that is a dirty secret pleasure (sorry, I just hate rush.)

Mine would have to be Beck.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

misswired

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2005, 22:18 »

Eminem.

mAlice aforeThought

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb 2005, 23:21 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Sum 41. Prozzak.

That is all.

prozzäk are nothing ov which to be ashamed.  they roxor my soxors, and you see i am not ashamed.  and this is couming from someöne who's ambarassed about liking christian death.

DeathrockZombie

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #12 on: 09 Feb 2005, 23:29 »

Quote from: mAlice aforeThought
Quote from: Johnny C
Sum 41. Prozzak.

That is all.

prozzäk are nothing ov which to be ashamed.  they roxor my soxors, and you see i am not ashamed.  and this is couming from someöne who's ambarassed about liking christian death.

You've got the bloood on your hands...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #13 on: 09 Feb 2005, 23:54 »

hehe.

Cradle of Filth, probably.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Empty Friend

eh?
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2005, 00:06 »

Quote from: BlueCoatKarma
I guess I don't actually consider anything I listen to a guilty pleasure, except Third Eye Blind.

Hey, I don't care what anyone says.  Almost all of the self titled album is good.  I share in that pleasure.

What I do hate to admit is liking Jimmy Eat World and some of Dashboard Confessional.  The later of the two can only be tolerated in small batches, because it's all about the same damn thing.

tomgadd

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2005, 03:12 »

Theres very little that I consider a guilty pleasure now, heh.  Had I answered this a few months ago,  seriously half of what I listen to now would be counted!

I'm still somewhat ashamed to say I like Flogging Molly.

Theres only so much Pogues =//

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:06 »

I hava an uncontrollable urge to sing along to Avril Lavigne's Sk8er Boi when I hear it.  I'm not embarassed by it, but I think other people feel embarassed for me.

Ooh, and James  - I've only just got who's on your avatar - Ace!

AndSheeWas

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:16 »

Quote from: Mnementh
ABBA, Ace of Base....lots of big 80's, and Rush.  To name a few.

A few of the many reasons, you rock! Add in a little N Sync and Robbie Williams and you have my guilty pleasure list.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:54 »

I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure, but I like Vanessa-Mae, and tend to get either the 'Why?' or 'Huh?' look when I say so, so I just don't mention it.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:52 »

Quote from: mAlice aforeThought
ace ov base
britney spears
christian death
the crüxshadows
new order
orgy
outkast
sir mix-a-lot / vanilla ice
stella soleil
VNV nation
wolfsheim
12rods

New Order, Outkast, and (the first album by) 12rods are nothing to be ashamed of.  :)  VNV Nation, however…  :D

Sad as I am to say it, my guilty pleasure is probably industrial music now.  When I first got into music, I listened to industrial exclusively for at least 3 years.  As my tastes eventually changed, I realized that a lot of the stuff I had was pretty cheesy, though I still liked most of it.

Which isn't to say there aren't a lot of great industrial bands that I like non-guiltily.  I'll never be ashamed of Skinny Puppy, RevCo, Coil, Die Warzau, Chemlab, etc., etc.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

pip_helix

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2005, 07:14 »

guilty pleasures include (but are not limited to)...

-deadsy
-billy idol
-twisted sister
-my chemical romance
-stellastarr*
-sugarcult

absolutely none of that stuff lines up with my actual musical taste, which is much more lo-fi and acoustic driven. but yeah...there it is.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2005, 07:20 »

Hmm. Thinking more carefully, I also have to say that I quite like DevilDriver and Marilyn Manson, which a lot of people who otherwise thinky my musical taste good would ridicule.

Also, since when has VNV Nation or Wolfsheim been a guilty pleasure? If all industrial and synth-pop groups are guilty pleasures I gotta go compile a long list.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Vertical Stripes

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2005, 07:33 »

I have to agree with James.  I like both Beck and Billy Idol, and I don't exactly see why they're "guilty pleasures."

And I'm STILL waiting for someone to say Leslie Carter.

supervixen024

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2005, 08:13 »

I'm still somewhat ashamed to say I like Flogging Molly.

What?? What's to be ashamed of?

If they're a guilty pleasure, then lock me up right now!

Hmmm...upon further consideration I'd have to add:

Christina Aguilera [what can I say, I admire her talent.  Her talent.  Not her songs.]
Meatloaf
Evanescence
Maroon 5
and
Meredith Brooks

muffy

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2005, 09:16 »

You make me smile.
I'm not sure either, but I saw it on one of "his" posters on Tuesday night, and it all clicked into place..

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:13 »

green day

i went to their nottingham show and it was AMAZING

mAlice aforeThought

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:20 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Also, since when has VNV Nation or Wolfsheim been a guilty pleasure? If all industrial and synth-pop groups are guilty pleasures I gotta go compile a long list.

synthpop is a guilty pleasure for me because i hated it for so long, and i'm somewhat embarassed to admit my complete turnaround.  i went through the same thing about a year ago with happy hardcore.

El Opium

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:23 »

I have a a tape copy of Van Halen's 1984 I listen to sometimes, I used to count Soundgarden as a guilty pleasure but I took out Badmotorfinger the other day and found my taste for it was entirely gone, so I guess that ones over.I don't know if Joanna Newsom would be a guilty pleasure or not as shes pretty cool right now though a cutesy fey looking woman with a harp seems rather out of place among a lot of the other stuff I've been buying lately most of which tends to fall into the experimental category.

Hector Gilbert

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:31 »

Loads of people hate Dave Matthews Band to the point where it goes beyond taste issues, but I've never really understood why.  Most of the reasons I get are really shallow.

...And yes, I do like them quite a bit.

blindsuperhero

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:54 »

I don't have any 'guilty pleasures', because if I like something I'm not going to feel guilty about liking it, or pretend to not like it, but bands that people are surprised that I like are: Justin Timberlake, The Strokes, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Autechre

Johnny C

• Mentat
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2005, 13:56 »

If New Order, Beck, and Outkast are guilty pleasures then I am in a lot of trouble.

Sweet Nuthin

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #31 on: 10 Feb 2005, 14:36 »

Quote from: Hector Gilbert
Loads of people hate Dave Matthews Band to the point where it goes beyond taste issues, but I've never really understood why.  Most of the reasons I get are really shallow.

...And yes, I do like them quite a bit.

I like Dave Matthews.  It gets to the point, though, when I hear Crash into me one too many times at school dances that that song in particular drives me completly bonkers.  

I have a plethora of guilty songs, but the only band I can think of that nobody else (especially Brits) likes is Muse.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2005, 15:36 »

Muse is no guilty pleasure, at least in my opinion.

I frankly love tatu.

......oh yah, and those John Mayer songs.....shut up!
I like the way you work it.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2005, 16:38 »

90's gangsta rap.  Not really guilty.  More like rollin down the street smokin' indo sippin on gin and juice.

I thought the singer for Muse was a really skinny women for the longest time.

I feel so left out on not knowing what James' avatar is.

Schmung

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2005, 16:39 »

Greenday, Offspring, Ataris, and Gwen Stefani. What can I say, tenn of the 90s. Though that doth not explain Ms Stefani, I just choose to ignore that side of things.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2005, 17:06 »

I find myself listening to a lot of Happy Hardcore with a bit of Experimental mixed in.

Mnementh

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2005, 17:55 »

I was thinking about this on the way home from work.  I don't really have guilty pleasures.  I listen to and like a lot of music.

I was just listening to Air Supply and Bon Jovi.  And loving it.  I sing along.

FfaMat

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2005, 18:00 »

meh, i'll listen to anything.  i always need to have music wether it be something at a club (like fifty cent), a rave (like sasha and digweed), pub (same old celtic folk)...

i prefer some bands and genres.  that's why i don't say i am indie.  i hate being classified to anything.

Empty Friend

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2005, 18:03 »

Quote from: Sweet Nuthin
I have a plethora of guilty songs, but the only band I can think of that nobody else (especially Brits) likes is Muse.

Piss on that, Absolution is an amazing album.  Evil Radiohead rocks.

FfaMat

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2005, 18:08 »

yeah, because radiohead is such a cheery band.  their song 'happy songs about flowers 'nd stuff,' brightened my day proper.

Mnementh

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2005, 18:32 »

*Superfluously namedrops radiohead*

Rune

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2005, 19:07 »

I don't feel guilty for it, but a lot of people are dissatisfied with the fact that I take pleasure in listening to Tori Amos -- so much so that I went to the show she played with Ben Folds (which was a great show, by the way)

mAlice aforeThought

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #42 on: 10 Feb 2005, 19:57 »

tori played with ben folds?  i just lost some ov my respect for her.

i saw her a couple years ago, however, and she was amazing.

oh, and another guilty pleasure:  slipknot.  i know they suck, i know they should not be on the face ov this planet, but they're fun to listen to every now and again.  they make me happy.

and though i'm not at all ashamed ov her,people keep beïng surprised that i like sarah mclachlan.  people who already know ov my predilection for tori amos, and yet they're surprised that i also like sarah.  i don't know why.  i lost tons ov respect for her, though when afterglow came out.  she's lost that special something.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2005, 20:13 »

I forgot one guilty pleasure:

Mnementh

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2005, 20:56 »

Damnit, spell "of" right.  It's not fucking "ov."

mAlice aforeThought

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #45 on: 10 Feb 2005, 21:05 »

a) it bloody well ought to be.
b) i am a former TOPY whore.

Vertical Stripes

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2005, 21:31 »

Oh fuck me gently with a chainsaw, I forgot about Maroon 5.

I can hear my brain breaking, but "This Love" is so freaking catchy.

Burninated Peasant

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #47 on: 10 Feb 2005, 22:25 »

Quote from: Vertical Stripes
Oh fuck me gently with a chainsaw

Wow V.S., how many people remember Heathers? That used to be a favoured quote amongst me and my friends in high school.

Hmm, guilty pleasures... I absolutely DREAD 80's mainstream (as most people with any musical taste do), but there is one song in particular that is guaranteed to get me on the dance floor: "Groove is in the Heart" by Dee-Lite. I could be in the deepest funk and that tune will pull me right out of it.

Another guilty pleasure: "Sabotage" by Beastie Boys. Love it. LOVE IT.

Most people I know think Frank Zappa should be a guilty pleasure, but I tend to disagree, mainly because he was the most brilliant man ever.;) Those who know of him only casually have no fuckin' idea what a huge impact he had on the world (not just in music, either).

Empty Friend

Bah!
« Reply #48 on: 11 Feb 2005, 00:04 »

I didn'ty namedrop radiohead.  You can not deny the similarities. I like radiohead mind you, but it's not like that's uncommon or elite at all.

Hector Gilbert

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #49 on: 11 Feb 2005, 12:43 »

Quote from: Sweet Nuthin
I like Dave Matthews.  It gets to the point, though, when I hear Crash into me one too many times at school dances that that song in particular drives me completly bonkers.  

I have to admit that out of those that actually dislike Dave Matthews, the most common complaint I hear is "they're so overplayed".  I guess that I grew up and started listening to music just when DMB went out of the spotlight, and living in Ireland might have helped as well, but by the time I did get my DMB fix people were already as divided over them as they are today.

I've introduced myself to The Flaming Lips through "the back entrance" as it were, via their early albums, and I must say that The Flaming Lips EP is great.  They don't show much musical skill here, but the songwriting is immense with creepy and articulate lyrics, and clever twists and turns.  It's probably my favourite from them, having heard everything up until the rather good In A Priest Driven Ambulance.  I must admit that I haven't heard any of their major label albums yet, but I plan to start in a few weeks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up