THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures?  (Read 49339 times)

AndSheeWas

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #50 on: 11 Feb 2005, 12:46 »

In re to DMB: I don't like them because they aren't my type of music. Simple as that. I dislike them even more when avid fans won't let that reason fly as supposedly Dave Matthews is the end-all-be-all in music. I don't expect everyone to get Talking Heads, but I also don't hate people for not listening to them.

Hector Gilbert

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #51 on: 11 Feb 2005, 14:08 »

Quote from: AndSheeWas
In re to DMB: I don't like them because they aren't my type of music. Simple as that.

Fair enough!

Zeb

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #52 on: 11 Feb 2005, 14:42 »

Hmm, Maroon 5. My wife caught me listening to it, and she flipped out. She was so happy that I was finally listening to something "good". I immediatly Switched it to the Pixies.

To this day I can't look at myself in the mirror. Shaving is a bitch.

Also, some of my friends tell me I should like Green Day. I F****** hate Green Day, and I'm not even sure why. Something about their sounds just bugs the crap out of me.

supervixen024

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #53 on: 11 Feb 2005, 15:27 »

I don't consider it a guilty pleasure, but I enjoy Green Day quite a lot.  I don't care that they're not that "talented."  Repetitive guitar riffs aside, they're upbeat with semi-intelligent lyrics, and I find them quite listenable.  

But at the same time, everyone's entitled to dislike them for being the mainstream crap they are.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #54 on: 11 Feb 2005, 16:25 »

I agree with Zeb, I fucking hate Green Day, and like him, also don't know why.
I like the way you work it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #55 on: 11 Feb 2005, 17:50 »

I despise Greenday, and I know exactly why. It's called: Being forced to listen to Boulevard of Broken Dreams and American Idiot (both initially tolerable songs) over and over on the radio in my gym, place of meagre employment and sixth form common-room*, until all that the sound of Greenday evokes is the intense desire to stab Billie Joe Armstrong in the face with a rusty pen-knife over and over again.

(*not to mention the fact that someone also bought the American Idiot album into school, and played it on repeat on the common room for about a week on end. Ye Gods.)
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

meganjo23

• Plantmonster
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #56 on: 11 Feb 2005, 18:20 »

I have the same problem. Can't stand Green Day because I've heard them too much. Happens to all the cool "mainstream" songs.

I use quotations because i don't know if my definition of mainstream is the same as everyone else.
-Hey, what time is it?
-It's shirtless o'clock!

http://www.myspace.com/staticlove23

mAlice aforeThought

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #57 on: 11 Feb 2005, 19:20 »

green day is mainstream by any definition.

Cadete

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #58 on: 11 Feb 2005, 19:48 »

I don't think I have any guilty pleasure songs, if I like a song i'll openly say I like it, even if most of the songs I like are weird and bad by most of my friends standarts. I'm finding more people with similar tastes to mine in university, thought.

I do find myself extremelly annoyed when i start to beat my feet to one tune and then discover it's one of the songs my sister loves.

AndSheeWas

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #59 on: 12 Feb 2005, 05:15 »

If we're going into individual songs: "Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston. Damn straight.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #60 on: 12 Feb 2005, 09:39 »

THE WORLD IS ENDING!

I yold you all this would happen if you didn't use the 'Artist-Song' format!
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Praeserpium Machinarum

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #61 on: 12 Feb 2005, 10:08 »

I kind of like the first track on Futures...don`t stone me ;)

supervixen024

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #62 on: 12 Feb 2005, 10:25 »

Quote from: James

I... what... this... WHAT IS GOING ON.

Aw.  I think I broke him.

ev0lve

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #63 on: 12 Feb 2005, 16:29 »

the only thing i can think of is linkin park's song nobody's listening.

:(

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #64 on: 12 Feb 2005, 17:35 »

I do not have "guilty pleasures" I listen to music I like. And I like a lot of weird, weird things.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #65 on: 12 Feb 2005, 18:53 »

Quote from: Burninated Peasant

1) I absolutely DREAD 80's mainstream (as most people with any musical taste do)

2) Another guilty pleasure: "Sabotage" by Beastie Boys. Love it. LOVE IT.

1) Yeah. Make me feel WORSE about it. Thanks.

2) This should not be guilty. Embrace the Beastie Boys. Love the Beastie Boys.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

maculated

Guilty . . .
« Reply #66 on: 12 Feb 2005, 19:08 »

I have really great music taste most of the time, but I have one, dirty, secret pleasure: Jason Mraz.

Kill me now.

Reno

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #67 on: 12 Feb 2005, 19:34 »

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Rosanne Cash and Patsy Cline

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #68 on: 12 Feb 2005, 21:19 »

Two out of three of the above are good, Reno. I dare you to pick out which ones. ;)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Akbar

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #69 on: 13 Feb 2005, 09:51 »

In my own eyes I have no guilty pleasures, unless we are counting things you used listened to while a kid (I can't see the relevance in that though, since you usualy loved the stuff back then anyway).

In the eyes of my friends I guess I listen to a lot of shite. Mainly because the people I know either listen to christian metal or OD on old-school punk every day.

My best friends, though, all overlap most of the gaps I seem to cross as well, so there all is well.

Oh, but wait, I do have something to confess. I actually liked one of Linkin Park's latest singles. Can't remember the name though. :)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #70 on: 13 Feb 2005, 10:05 »

Quote from: Akbar

Oh, but wait, I do have something to confess. I actually liked one of Linkin Park's latest singles. Can't remember the name though. :)

And you were dissing the bloody Murderdolls?

Pistols at dawn sir!

Stefu

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #71 on: 13 Feb 2005, 10:36 »

I actually have a soft spot for Maroon5 *because* of the radio play - after 50th time of hearing 'Dragostea Din Tei' or 'Yeah', the sounds of 'This Love' actually came off as a sweet, sweet relief while I was doing my mandatory army duty for the first half of the last year. Not enough to call them a guilty pleasure, though.

Vertical Stripes

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #72 on: 14 Feb 2005, 01:25 »

Quote from: Burninated Peasant
Quote from: Vertical Stripes
Oh fuck me gently with a chainsaw

Wow V.S., how many people remember Heathers? That used to be a favoured quote amongst me and my friends in high school.

I DO.  YEAH.  JD can be my sexual psychopath ANY DAY.

devils_daughter

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #73 on: 14 Feb 2005, 02:46 »

*takes deep breath* Aqua and Bon Jovi... *runs and hides in a corner*

AndSheeWas

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #74 on: 14 Feb 2005, 04:51 »

I love Aqua. No shame in that.

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #75 on: 14 Feb 2005, 05:04 »

I love Aqua. No shame in that.

yes, yes there is....

Karl

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #76 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:17 »

Sixpence None The Richer

I *heart* thier cover of "Breathe Your Name"

Vertical Stripes

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #77 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:17 »

Now WHAT is wrong with Sixpence None the Richer?

They are very wispy and lovely, kind of like the Cranberries.

Next you're going to be telling me that the Cranberries are a guilty pleasure. XD

Akbar

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #78 on: 14 Feb 2005, 10:08 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Quote from: Akbar

And you were dissing the bloody Murderdolls?

Pistols at dawn sir!

Yarr, let's cross swords right here and now, scumsucker!

However, I feel that my resons to diss the murderdolls are entirely justified, since they managed to massacre, and pretty much urinate on the still warm corpse of, one of the concerts I've hyped the most in my entire life. They played opening act to Iron Maiden when I saw them in stockholm two years ago. Perhaps not entirely because they sucked, but because they felt rather out of context, to say the least.

Also, remember that I am by no standards a die-hard Maiden fan. I figure you can only imagine what the more devoted parts of the audience were shouting at them, already after the first few chords.

As for confessions, I have to add insult to injury and say I also quite liked Slipknot's Duality.

There's no need for a duel, I'll just go hang myself and get it over with.

mee-kay-la

guilty gulity *slapslapslap*
« Reply #79 on: 14 Feb 2005, 12:13 »

Eh. My theory on guilty pleasures is that if you like it, then it's not a guilty pleasure. It's only a guilty pleasure if you don't really like it, but pretend you do for the sake of coolness/stereotype.

I don't have any "guilty pleasures" by you guys' standings, however... I mean, the stuff that's so incredibly catchy, like Maroon 5, god, it's better than having someone ass-rape my ears by screaming YEAHHHH for six minutes, but I still don't like it.

Ah yes, Green Day. Green Day, Green Day, Green Day. Why I cannot stand them:
 1. they followed suit with the rest of the bands (the singers who aren't in bands don't do the whole black eyeliner poser goth emo whatever the hell they are thing, ever notice that?) and became a poser punk emo wtf band. 2. Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Need I say more? At that point, I'd rather have my ears ass-raped by YEAHHHH. At least that's relatively amusing.
3. A girl in my school wore a green day shirt. And as I was sitting across from her, I was stuck looking at it. They had the presidential eagle thing on that shirt. Okay. That eagle thing. IT. WAS. THE. RAMONES. LOGO. GET YOUR OWN LOGO, RETARDS!

Oh look... I found a bag of pistachios... this is my lucky day after all

blindsuperhero

Re: guilty gulity *slapslapslap*
« Reply #80 on: 14 Feb 2005, 12:29 »

Quote from: mee-kay-la
1. they followed suit with the rest of the bands (the singers who aren't in bands don't do the whole black eyeliner poser goth emo whatever the hell they are thing, ever notice that?) and became a poser punk emo wtf band.

I wouldn't dream of calling Green Day a poser goth emo etc., sure they ripped off their whole schtick from the Stiff Little Fingers, but they're one of the few real bands left in the mainstream pop punk scene. While Blink 182 have gone for emo and Good Charlotte for goth, Green Day have gone for 70's punk rock, not to mention they play way better songs than those 2 bands. Now I don't like Green Day, but I respect them, for staying true to what they are and always have been, namely a melodic pop punk band. They haven't followed trends or changed to become more popular, they just started out doing a thing that a bunch of people liked, and kept at it.

devils_daughter

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #81 on: 14 Feb 2005, 12:36 »

Green Day have got to have respect for being a FANTASTIC live act. I've seen them twice and should have seen them for a third time a fortnight ago (but that's a long, bitter and uninteresting story) and they're the best live act I've seen. So lively and energetic, really big on crowd interaction. They are real entertainers, not just musicians.

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #82 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:43 »

you see em' at nottingham DD?

devils_daughter

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #83 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:46 »

Nope, saw 'em at Cardiff (I think in 01) and at Reading last year.

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #84 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:53 »

cool, they're awesome. billy joe shot me in the face with a super soaker fillled with stella......ahhh...the memories

devils_daughter

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #85 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:56 »

We had the pink bunny doing the YMCA with god-knows how many punks. So surreal!

MilkmanDan

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #86 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:13 »

I don't think I'm guilty about anything I listen to. I mean, I have lots of songs I wouldn't play if anyone else was around, but that's just because nobody I know would like them. "Oh, it's nothing but loud, jaring, static for 12 minutes" they'd moan, "There's no rhythm, tune, samples, or melody. Just Noise." Valid criticisms, I'll admit, but rather missing the point.
</ offtopic rambling>

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #87 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:23 »

yeah, we had that tooo.

he was drinking beer as well.......crazy drunk punk rocker rabbit doing ymca

devils_daughter

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #88 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:26 »

He was drinking Smirnoff Ice when I saw them the first time. Not quite so punk!

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #89 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:28 »

Smirnof!?

it doesnt get more punk

blindsuperhero

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #90 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:29 »

Smirnoff *Ice*

As in, lemonade

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #91 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:32 »

ah, point taken

Taste_of_blood

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #92 on: 14 Feb 2005, 19:08 »

Quote from: Sweet Nuthin
...the only band I can think of that nobody else (especially Brits) likes is Muse.

I'm a Brit, I love Muse, I know many other Brits who love Muse, I've seen stadiums full of Brits who love Muse, hell I've seen the entire Glastonbury audience (120,000) LOVE Muse, most of whom were Brits. On this basis I don't understand that statement.

Not ashamed of any of my music kids, seriously namme any band and ask me if I own an album/single/ep/song by them and I'll answer honestly and really not worry.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #93 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:38 »

I think it's only the uber-hip, self consciously cool, have their music taste dictated entirely by the NME who mock muse -but then the paper has a way of claiming that their opinion is the be all and end all..
 I like them, and I'd love to see them live, so no guilty shame there

exliontamer

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #94 on: 15 Feb 2005, 09:54 »

Avril Lavigne. She's hot...and the second album wasn't thaaaat bad.

ev0lve

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #95 on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:23 »

Quote from: Taste_of_blood
hell I've seen the entire Glastonbury audience (120,000) LOVE Muse, most of whom were Brits. .

Britney Spears sells out stadiums here, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be ashamed for liking 'her music'... ;)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #96 on: 15 Feb 2005, 12:45 »

Quote from: MilkmanDan
I don't think I'm guilty about anything I listen to. I mean, I have lots of songs I wouldn't play if anyone else was around, but that's just because nobody I know would like them. "Oh, it's nothing but loud, jaring, static for 12 minutes" they'd moan, "There's no rhythm, tune, samples, or melody. Just Noise." Valid criticisms, I'll admit, but rather missing the point.
</ offtopic rambling>

Fucking spot on.  I don't feel guilty about any of my listening taste but I know about tact and what dislikes and likes the people I normally interact with have.  

Also I was smitten to see someone connect Sticky Little Fingers and Green Day.  For some reason.  I'll have to figure out what happened to my SLF and give it a listen.

Maroon 5 seems horrible.  I'm not sure but I'm not in a paticular mind set to find out.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #97 on: 15 Feb 2005, 16:08 »

Quote from: Sweet Nuthin
Quote from: Hector Gilbert
Loads of people hate Dave Matthews Band to the point where it goes beyond taste issues, but I've never really understood why.  Most of the reasons I get are really shallow.

...And yes, I do like them quite a bit.

I like Dave Matthews.  It gets to the point, though, when I hear Crash into me one too many times at school dances that that song in particular drives me completly bonkers.  

I have a plethora of guilty songs, but the only band I can think of that nobody else (especially Brits) likes is Muse.

i love muse! and im not ashamed, and i'm in england, so i win

in fact, i think most of the people in school with semi decent taste in music like muse (semi decent being not-trance) i can only name 1 person off the top of my head that doesnt like them,  and that's just through ignorance
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

ASturge

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #98 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:38 »

i dont like Muse, i live in england, am i ignorant?

fin

Guilty Pleasures?
« Reply #99 on: 16 Feb 2005, 05:06 »

Jay Z / Linkin Park - Collision Course
I don't think I'm alone in the world in imagining this album may be the worst idea since Greedo shooting first. You know it, but... I cant stop listening to it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up