Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 06:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fightstar  (Read 5623 times)

ASturge

fightstar
« on: 13 Feb 2005, 14:12 »

this'll be for British people only really but....

there was a band around for a few years called "busted" they were really quite awful. it was dodgy pop-rock-appeal to little girls everywhere with our chisled goodlooks-music- and it annoyed me. but at least it was encourageing young uns' to pick up guitars and learn to play during a time where "hip hop bullshit" was ruling the airwaves.

a month ago they broke up, and from the ashes emerged "FIGHTSTAR" charlie-eyebrows-from busted's new metalband

i just downloaded a few of their songs and......................its...damn good shit

i recommend them if you like " pop rock indie metal"

muffy

• The Tickler
fightstar
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2005, 16:46 »

I've not heard them yet, but I have every respect for Mr Eyebrows, as just as many bands have more shameul reasons for doing what they're doing and hae never been questioned, but he's had a lot more criticism, what with having been in a boy band and all, and dealt with it more adeptly than most could have..and I've heard positive things, which is good.
Full credit...

MilkmanDan

fightstar
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:56 »

Charlie should have gone solo, and got his eyebrows to play the drums for him.

devils_daughter

fightstar
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:04 »

They're playing a few miles away from me tonight. I did think about going just to see what all the fuss is about, but then I realised that I'm lazy and can't really be bothered.

fin

fightstar
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:01 »

havent heard any tracks and tbh i have no intention of doing so, but ive only heard good stuff about them. i read an interview with the guy and he seemed to have his head screwed on - didnt seem to be too much of a twat.

edit:
yeah, at least the likes of busted and mcfly are getting kids into the likes of green day, and so on from that, it can only be good.

Sturge

Re: fightstar
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:26 »

Quote from: ASturge

haha, what the hell?

besides, Busted were ace, good fun pop music, Fightstar just sound like a low grade whiney emo band.

ASturge

fightstar
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2005, 12:59 »

yes Andrew, because i care about your opinion :p

[sarcasm]

Apathy

fightstar
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:16 »

Suprisingly, I'm hearing a lot of positive feedback to this track, and although I admit I have literally only heard about 30 seconds of it, and seen 30 seconds of the video, I feel I can already say it's really not that much of a step up from Busted.  It is a step, don't get me wrong, but unfortunately this song drifts back into the now tired category (in my opinion) of teeny bopper 'punk' rock, except this time it's British.  Someone please stop me if I'm wrong, but from what I could tell, it was nothing special & I'm sorry, but if you're trying to take your first steps into the world of being a serious artist, why in God's holy f*%^king name would you call your band 'FightStar'?!  It sounds like an 80's arcade game.

Quote from: Sturge

haha, what the hell?

besides, Busted were ace, good fun pop music, Fightstar just sound like a low grade whiney emo band.

Just to edit in a further unwanted opinion (hey it's the internet, unwanted opinions are everywhere!), Busted were not 'ace'.  Yeah they were fun pop music, but I'd hardly call it 'good'.  The only thing Busted were particularly good at, were targeting the correct listener base to make money, which isn't really what music is about.  Well, shouldn't be, anyway.  Not quite sure if that holds true today though...

ASturge

fightstar
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:26 »

my bros words, not mine.

he is STURGE

i am ASTURGE

i hated busted like the plague on fire in a bath full of leaches

devils_daughter

fightstar
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:27 »

Busted were so entertaining, mostly just for the reaction they had.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
fightstar
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2005, 08:46 »

does anyone here like that band the flaming lips?
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Korlin

fightstar
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2005, 21:00 »

Fightstar aren't too bad. Listened to 'Mono' from their EP and it's reasonably good, albeit a bit unimaginative. Will probably see them live out of curiousity at the Give It A Name Fest later this year.

muffy

• The Tickler
fightstar
« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2005, 02:50 »

I downloaded a couple of their songs (I think it's the same ethos as buying condoms - it's a little embarassing doing it from a shop where people might know you, but over the internet, you're safe!) - a couple are quite good, but they go on a bit, but then it's not my ideal kind of music..I still have a special fondness for Charlie though.

ASturge

fightstar
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2005, 03:17 »

heh, my mate Chris K described Charlie as a gay choirboy with a beard

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
fightstar
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2005, 19:27 »

seriously, anyone pick up the last broken social scene album?
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
fightstar
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2005, 20:08 »

yes Andrew, because i care about your opinion :p

ZING!

[sarcasm]

No, see, you OPEN a case with it.[/fodder for punchings]

Which BSS album?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
fightstar
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2005, 20:11 »

I am deliberately avoiding hearing fightstar, as I understand there's a possibility that it's not actually terrible, and that might be a scary thing.

That said, I hear it's like a mix of busted and commercial emo. That's the kind of fusion that should only exist in hell.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Sturge

fightstar
« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2005, 01:51 »

Thing is, he does listen to my opinions because he steals my albums -_-

Finding Emo

fightstar
« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2005, 02:02 »

Quote from: devils_daughter
They're playing a few miles away from me tonight. I did think about going just to see what all the fuss is about, but then I realised that I'm lazy and can't really be bothered.

Wait wait wait... you actually considered going to see a band with an ex-Busted member in it? For shame.

I saw them play on a programme called the Friday Night Project, and, they sucked. I saw their video, and, yeah that sucked too. Mainstreamo crap.
Mainstreamo. Man I'm witty.

By the way, the Friday Night Project has good bands on it, just so you know. They had the Bravery and the Futureheads on the last couple of weeks.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
fightstar
« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2005, 11:12 »

also, anyone hear that last shellac peel session?
man that was fucking awesome.

Sturge

fightstar
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2005, 14:14 »

yesyesyesyesyes!

StupidityKills

fightstar
« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2005, 15:00 »

Quote from: Finding Emo

By the way, the Friday Night Project has good bands on it, just so you know. They had the Bravery and the Futureheads on the last couple of weeks.

That was awesome with the futureheads. :D

I dunno, the only positive thing I could say about them is that Charlie's godawful laryngitic voice does suit the music better than it did within Busted.
That and they're on MoshiMoshi which are teh awesome *cough*NewRHodes*cough*
Oh and the name of their single made me laugh 'Palahniuks Laughter' but only cos I'm reading him at the moment :)

Hey, look, two positive things!
Pages: [1]   Go Up