THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scariest video game ever?  (Read 41521 times)

Vertical Stripes

Scariest video game ever?
« on: 14 Feb 2005, 02:00 »

Usually I have nerves of steel for movies or games that are meant to freak me out.  The only time I get jumpy is when I'm playing a game that I KNOW will be difficult to manage with controls I'm not used to.  IE:  Resident Evil, the first Clock Tower game, etc

But the scariest game I've ever played, by far, has been the original Fatal Frame.  The sound and atmosphere of that game were by far the creepiest ever.  The sounds of the tape recorder in the background of the Library, the random demon ghosts that you would hear stamping down the hall and then disappearing or attacking you before you could collect yourself ...

Or how about fighting the Editor for the first time, only to revisit the room later, find it empty (as it should be after winning the boss battle), then going to exit only to have the Editor pop up behind you just as you do?

With easy-to-use controls and very simple, straight-forward gameplay, Fatal Frame was definetely the best horror/survival game ever.  I actually felt an overwhelming sigh of relief whenever I entered a save-point room (the only rooms guaranteed to be entirely ghost-free)

Discuss!

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2005, 09:16 »

My choice would be Silent Hill 2

The atmosphere, the sounds the gloominess, and never forget those damn Pyramid Heads, really that game scared me to the bones more than once.

There are other scary games... Like that photography thing in the ghost house? (Project Zero?) But i hated the combat system in it, soo....

And lets not forget HARVESTER. The creepiest adventure game there is. Or weirdest atleast.

Edit: Fatal Frame and Project Zero are the same thing. Didin't know that.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Rauko

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2005, 09:47 »

Clive Barker's Undying was pretty damn scary.  Everythinga bout it was jsut plain weird, not to mention the family photgraphs...

AndSheeWas

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 10:24 »

Q*bert

Akbar

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2005, 10:31 »

The first Aliens vs. Predator game on PC.

I couldn't even play as marine due to an absence of nerves and the prescense of one of the scariest fucking gizmos ever; the motion tracker.

'God! It's moving! It's coming right at me!

It's near the door now...steady...STEADY...wait for it. Um, shouldn't it be coming through the door now?

SHIT, lost it!

*looks up*

OHMAIGWAD, OH MAIGAWD!

*sprays entire magazine into the alien emerging from the vent*

*gets soaked in acid*

*dies*

*changes pants*

ASturge

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2005, 10:42 »

System Shock 2

good gods thats a scary game

urgh.........

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:04 »

All good responses.  System Shock 2 was very frightening.  The first time I ran into the Cyborg Midwives, specifically: "the little ones...NEED MEAT to g-g-grow strong..."  Then there's all of Shodan's messages, the Many...yeah.  All very scary.

Really though, Silent Hill 2 fucked me up more than any game ever.  The games that thing plays with your head...making you walk across a room while Pyramid Head is just sitting there watching you, the almost unbelievably creepy Pyramid Head deformed zombie rape...god.  I don't really care for sudden "OMG monster jumping at you!" scares.  The Silent Hill series has always been very good at creating an atmosphere of dread and subdued terror, and it is almost unbelievably effective.
UNF.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2005, 12:33 »

And i olways forget Avp and System Shock's...

Also some text adventures have been scary.

Deformagraphy

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:35 »

Fatal Frame 2.

Doom 3 in 5.1 surround with the doors looked and volume at 50.

That's about it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:36 »

Fatal Frame, easily.

And anyone who says Resident Evil...you smell.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:52 »

Resident Evil

c1utch

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2005, 15:54 »

doom 3: For the first few levels I was screaming like a girl at anything that moved

Also, a few times in HL2 when first seeing a certain zombie, or cutting one in half or somthing

Yea, I also have some 5.1 dolby surround sound and play at 1280x1024 (not max specs because doom 3/HL2 put the work on the comp)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:14 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Resident Evil

You smell. :D
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:46 »

Syestem Shock 2. I've been feeling nostalgic for it recently, but I don't have the time to invest in playing it right now. I'm with Trinary on the creepiness of the midwives. They did a really good job on the dialogue in that game. Each of the speaking enemies had a variety of lines for when they spot you, when they lose track of you, when they find a fallen comrade, etc...

stokage

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2005, 17:49 »

An older game, but Zork: Nemesis had a ncie creep factor. The assylum area made it hard to go to sleep at night.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2005, 18:29 »

either doom 1 or 2.  whichever had the huge room with a zillion spiders in it.  i would stay up late and play that in the dark with headphones on.  it was awesome.

although, i do agree that the silent hill games were pretty freaky in a "leading up to something awful" and then "omg, something awful" kinda way.

Rauko

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2005, 19:48 »

What was the game that you slowly went insane over time and everything kept getting more and more screwed up...  can't think of them name.  Eventually you plunge into insanity and yeah.  I haven't played it cause I can't seem to remeber the name.

SeanBateman

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2005, 20:24 »

Eternal Darkness, Sanity's Requiem? Galerians?
Resident Evil on the Gamecube at fucking 11pm by candle light. I was just booting it up, first RE game I ever played. And my fucking dog(rotweiler coon hound mix) runs into the room. I almost shat myself

osaki

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2005, 20:27 »

The fairly odd parents for Xbox... that game made me shit my panties.

Vertical Stripes

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2005, 22:56 »

I've never even HEARD of System Shock 2, and I worked for two years at a video game store ><

What is it about?  Cyborg midwives?  As the daughter of the president of the canadian association of midwives, I must say this intrigues me.

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2005, 23:13 »

Well, the original System Shock is widely regarded as one of the best computer games of all time (I think it was #6 on one "Top 100" list, but I'm not sure). I couldn't possibly do the game justice by trying to summarize it in brief here. Try checking out IGN's review: http://pc.ign.com/articles/161/161087p1.html. That should give you a decent idea of what it's about, but you really should track down a copy. It has a very well-scripted plot, and every conceivable horror device is used at some point in the game, and used well.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2005, 01:01 »

Silent Hill 2, without a doubt.

The first, and for several years, only game to ever scare me was Silent Hill 1.

The fact that the second managed to scare me more is a testament to that game. Holy crap.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Samgam Gamalan

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:16 »

it fills me full of joy to know that people still like system shock 2. my scariest parts are when you hear the first "why do we hunger?" echo down the hallway and the dawning realisation that The Many is a giant colon...Ewww

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2005, 09:40 »

I remember one of the first times a zombie guy came after me in SS2...and he was yelling in this screwed up distorted voice "I'm sooorryyyy...please run!".  I blast him, and realize that the actual person was alive and conscious and unable to stop himself from attacking and killing people.  I paused for a little bit and thought about this unique, small, and very very effective twist on the generic zombie enemy.

RIP Looking Glass Studios.  I miss you. :(  Though there is still hope for us: Bioshock. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/preview_6110044.html
UNF.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:12 »

I always have a claustrophobic feeling while playing SS2

"What was that" (5 bullets left)

"Scree scree scree"  (oh sh*it sh*t SH*T!)

Gah! Blam blam blam blam blam Clik! Nooo!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2005, 16:05 »

I think that there's a copy of SS2 on the underdogs, but it's umpteen bazilion times cooler to own an actual copy, like every game ever.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2005, 16:16 »

Quote from: c1utch
doom 3: For the first few levels I was screaming like a girl at anything that moved

Also, a few times in HL2 when first seeing a certain zombie, or cutting one in half or somthing

Yea, I also have some 5.1 dolby surround sound and play at 1280x1024 (not max specs because doom 3/HL2 put the work on the comp)

man, HL2 can be scary, but cuttin zombies in half with the gravity gun is the best thing EVER, untill the top half latches onto your leg ¬_¬

but yeah, moments in HL2, some moments in half life 1, oh, and 1 on 1 in counterstrike, you can start seriously pooping yourself if it's a good match
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Rauko

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2005, 16:17 »

I ahd the underdog one, but it froze constantly and I was unable to track down the problem.  It made me sad, but I was strong!  I did not cry.

In front of my computer....

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2005, 16:17 »

World 1-2 on Mario Bros.  Jeez those blue Goombas are spooooooky.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2005, 16:40 »

MAN i totally forgot about eternal darkness, man that game was genius

the sanity effects were awesome,  and pretty damn scary at some points, and of course, when the bonethiefs burst out of the skin

fwoop

and the cut scenes, they were awesome

I FOUND THE PURPLE RUNE TOO!
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

emor

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:32 »

Yeah SS2 is freaky (and awesome).  But for the real 'omg cool' shock, play the original System Shock and think:

This game came out the same year as the original Doom. (1994)
Then, as you fly around, use night vision, crawl around on your stomach, jump, walk up ramps, listen to dozens of voice logs, use cameras in the back of your head, activate personal shields, get ambushed repeatedly by a stuttering evil computer, use rocket boosted roller skates, look up and down, crouch, shoot out lights and computer monitors, solve story based puzzles, experience an actual story, hack into computer mainframes and fight watchdog programs, rewire keypads, and lean around corners, marvel that Doom did so much better!

Thief: The Dark Project can get pretty freaky-deaky.  The Return to the Cathedral was pretty frightening: the evil Haunts and zombies and ghosts infesting everywhere.  That was a damn fine game.

RIP Looking Glass!

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:40 »

Eternal Darkness was a fun game. I played it through in service of each of the gods to get the "full" ending and everything. The sanity effects were very cool. I think my favourites were the comedic ones, though. I.e., the "thank you for playing our demo" fake ending, the BSOD, etc. To be honest I didn't find it all that scary, though. It was creepy, but it didn't immerse me the way SS2 did.

scuzzle

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:43 »

okay, i sown all "teh n00b" but when i went through halo 1, playing the library with a friend of mine, i literraly made him piss himself scared when I jumped up and scared the s*** out of him. it was awesom

"hey! whats that coming toward.....OH GOD KILLIT! KILLITNOWS!!!!111!!!"
"DUDE...these were new PANTS MAN!"

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #33 on: 16 Feb 2005, 00:19 »

Quote from: emor

This game came out the same year as the original Doom. (1994)

Every time I think about that it boggles my mind.  Right down to the hybrid point-n-click and FPS-style controls, the invertory overlays on the screen...everything about System Shock was brilliant.  I honestly think that because Doom provided a way simpler interface and gameplay it was more successful.  System Shock was almost too much for people to enjoy.  Waaaay ahead of its time.

I'm trying to dig up as many System Shock 2 sound clips as I can, but all I can find is the Xerxes (I think?  The main starting AI) and Shodan clips...I want the stuff from the enemies, and I can't find it.
UNF.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #34 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:54 »

The many don't want you to find the sound files. You pathetic hacker.

ASturge

« Reply #35 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:05 »

to anyone who has trouble running system shock2, check this link. it should sort all your troubles.

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

you may thank my paypal account with plenty of cash

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #36 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:21 »

Another vote for SS2.
My first moment of really jumping in my seat was just after I got a working shotgun.  I was actually feeling much safer, confident that I could drop anything that came at me now, so I wasn't as careful as I should have been.
I was playing with headphones, so when someone screamed in my left ear "KILL ME!" I jumped about a foot in the air, knocked my glass off the desk, and shot the floor in front of me twice before I managed to turn around and blast the stupid zombie.

What's this new game that a lot of the old SS team is working on?
I read something about it a few months ago...
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Foxylicious

« Reply #37 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:13 »

I tried RE4 for the first time the other day.  I screamed!  Haha... it was great.  The Silent Hill games are also scary.

Rauko

« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:31 »

Quote from: ASturge
to anyone who has trouble running system shock2, check this link. it should sort all your troubles.

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

you may thank my paypal account with plenty of cash

Thanks and more, because that is the exact reason I can't run SS2!  You make my life full of joys.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2005, 16:33 »

Resident Evil 0 in surround sound with the lights off...

I could only take that for 10 minutes before I turned the lights on. Scary stuff.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

tender pervert

« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2005, 22:28 »

FRIDAY THE 13TH FOR NES!

Actually, it was rather amusing and lame.

Iompair

« Reply #41 on: 24 Feb 2005, 01:31 »

Any of the Thief series. (For maximum effect turn the sound up and the lights off).
Scariest bit? The cradle mission in Deadly shadows

cliffkik

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2005, 10:15 »

Halflife2... Antlions made me have several trips to the bathroom...

ASturge

« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2005, 10:53 »

antlions? i bet you found Evil Dead 2 scary as well

i laugh at your wussliness .......hohoho!

spazworrier

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2005, 12:45 »

Some may have said it was a Friday 13th ripoff but Splatterhouse was fucking awesome! If you get a chance to play this arcade gem DO so, you'll love it!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2005, 13:00 »

I fucking love splatterhouse. It's the one where you're this guy in a mask, and you kill zombies? it was fuckign awesome.

spazworrier

« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2005, 13:08 »

Yup, thats the one. The guy has a Jason-like Hockey Mask. Here's a screenshot if you're not sure.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2005, 14:12 »

That's what I was thinking of. Man, that game was fun.

spazworrier

« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2005, 14:20 »

Tell me about it! Some of those monsters found some sneaky ways of attacking you!

Apathy

« Reply #49 on: 25 Feb 2005, 11:26 »

Quote from: Abattur
My choice would be Silent Hill 2

The atmosphere, the sounds the gloominess, and never forget those damn Pyramid Heads, really that game scared me to the bones more than once.

Hehe, I looked at the thread title & thought to myself immediately "Silent Hill", but I'm going to go for number one.  It was far more atmospheric than the second, which was a good game essentially, but not quite as 'creepy' as the original.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up