THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scariest video game ever?  (Read 41474 times)

Burninated Peasant

Scariest video game ever?
« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2005, 15:20 »

Quote from: wraithzero
Another vote for SS2.
My first moment of really jumping in my seat was just after I got a working shotgun.  I was actually feeling much safer, confident that I could drop anything that came at me now, so I wasn't as careful as I should have been.
I was playing with headphones, so when someone screamed in my left ear "KILL ME!" I jumped about a foot in the air, knocked my glass off the desk, and shot the floor in front of me twice before I managed to turn around and blast the stupid zombie.

What's this new game that a lot of the old SS team is working on?
I read something about it a few months ago...

The game you're thinking of BioShock. Unfortunately it's not a true sequel to System Shock 2, but it is definitely a spiritual successor. Check it out here.

MFD

« Reply #51 on: 27 Feb 2005, 16:33 »

Scariest game?  I dunno.  Whole games don't really scare me.

Scariest MOMENT, however... Metroid Prime certainly wins.  Climbing up the tower after getting the thermal visor, and the lights are out... and then... you hear glass shatter.  The battle music picks up, and you hear the scariest sound your Gamecube would ever utter.

"SQUEE!"

Damn right... Metroids... UGH.  Those things are SCARY.

daviesmatt

« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2005, 18:50 »

Haven't played many scary games, but the first Resident Evil scared the shit outta me when I had a lend of it from someone. I was like 7..

Scariest moment - Playing Medal of Honour : Allied Assault while really drunk. Happily sniping away at some nazi's, i look left, then I see 2 fucking guard dogs about a foot away from me. Literally jumped out of my seat.

Simon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #53 on: 28 Feb 2005, 08:15 »

Doom 3 has had me scared witless on occasions; the decision to not have a built-in flashlight was a great one and added tons to the atmosphere. You know something is going to come at your face, but you can't see where from.
Which of the Resident Evil/Silent Hill games would you say were the best/scariest? I can see that I might have to pick up a copy of them :D

Tearon

« Reply #54 on: 28 Feb 2005, 08:59 »

The scariest game I ever played was Superman 64.

This is because I played it while my friend was with me, and he said "You know, the people making this game probably thought they had done a good job."

I didn't sleep for a week.

What?

Ohhhh. You meant the traditional kind of scary.

The first Silent Hill. I was just young enough to be scared spitless at that point.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #55 on: 28 Feb 2005, 09:22 »

Obviously, the key to a scary video game is a proper, immersive atmosphere.

RE isn't too scary, because you're a badass SWAT team member fighting a bunch of slow-ass zombies in a nice, clean mansion. It's creepy, but not scary.

But when you're an average guy being chased by demonic children with knives, through some hellish perversion of an elementary school filled with bloody, rusted wheelchairs and steel grate floors and the phone suddenly rings only to hear "Daddy? Where are you daddy?" on the other end, you start to get a little freaked out.

My single scariest moment in any video game:

Silent Hill 1, the alternate universe elementary school. You hear a rattling locker down the hall, like you did in the real elementary school. You go open the locker, that's rattling louder and louder, expecting something to pop out like a cat did earlier. It swings open: nothing inside but bits and pieces of blood and gore. Relieved, you turn around to walk out, and a freaking corpse falls out of another nearby locker right in front of you.

I screamed like a little girl and jumped all the way across the room.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

pyropanda

« Reply #56 on: 28 Feb 2005, 11:04 »

Quote from: Rauko
What was the game that you slowly went insane over time and everything kept getting more and more screwed up...  can't think of them name.  Eventually you plunge into insanity and yeah.  I haven't played it cause I can't seem to remeber the name.

Eternal Darkness... and if you didn't regularly recharge your sanity the screeen would get tilted and blood would drip down it... SOOO f*cked up.

I think the first Halflife was pretty darn scary as well.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 03 Mar 2005, 20:34 »

1) Half-Life 2 scared my ass off, mostly in fucking Ravenholm, and come to think of it, pretty much anywhere with those large zombies made of mostly headcrabs. I often found myself wishing they had just pit me against the Combine.

2) Did anyone play "The Suffering?" Holy shit, that game scared me. Especially the occasional insanity effect, and the fact that you had choices to make and if you made a bad one you saw an image of your character's wife screaming and heard it. Fuck.

3) Do not talk to me about Silent Hill 2. I still get creeped out on occasion.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #58 on: 03 Mar 2005, 23:18 »

On the topic of scary games, you all know about the upcoming Call of Cthulhu game, right? From all I've read about it on various websites, it sounds like it's going to be pretty faithful to Lovecraft's works. There will also be sanity effects, of course. Unlike the sanity effects in Eternal Darkness, though, there aren't any humourous ones. It's horror and tension through the whole game. And they're not just hallucinations, either: you may just blow your own brains out if you get sufficiently terrified.

Another promising aspect is the absence of a HUD. No health bar, no ammo count... nothing. Better keep track of how many rounds you've fired. Awesome.

There's tonnes of other cool stuff about it. Read for yourself.

Akbar

« Reply #59 on: 04 Mar 2005, 04:34 »

Actually I've been looking forward to that game for ages now. How long has it been in development, 4-5 years?

Anything based on Lovecraft's works ought to be scary as hell, unless those developing the game are complete morons. Screens and videos have looked rather good this far though.

I'm waiting.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #60 on: 04 Mar 2005, 05:29 »

Scariest game hands down is a jap game for the ps2 called Siren. It's similar to Silent Hill, only with the added "radio vision" in which you could use the two joysticks on the ps2 controller to pick up on other character's vision. Enemies, other characters, yourself.... With this, you can watch the zombie enemies sauntering around, sharpening whatever weapon they died with, creeping up on your character from behind. The fuzziness like tuning in to TV channels using a knob just added to the scarification.
also israel

spazworrier

« Reply #61 on: 04 Mar 2005, 14:32 »

I always thought it was called Forbidden Siren.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #62 on: 04 Mar 2005, 16:03 »

Quote from: Johnny C

2) Did anyone play "The Suffering?" Holy shit, that game scared me. Especially the occasional insanity effect, and the fact that you had choices to make and if you made a bad one you saw an image of your character's wife screaming and heard it. Fuck.

Fuck yeah, all the weird flashback shit was really creepy.  They really do a good job at building up the tension at the begining of the game.  I think I read the sequel will read the memory card of data from the first game and will affect the story in the second game based off the good/evil decisions in the first game.

Call of Cthulu sounds pretty awesome.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #63 on: 07 Mar 2005, 07:37 »

Lets just wait that Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of earth comes.

I bet that game will be scary...
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Verek

« Reply #64 on: 07 Mar 2005, 15:33 »

Man, you've all made me want to play SS2 now. And, like any sufficiently cool person, I actually have a real copy of it. Sweetness. But I also want to play FO2 again, but...eh...

At any rate, I can't remember what games have really SCARED me, rather than just surprised me. If stuff is just popping out at you, it's like, "Waah! ...Oh, just die already." And you shoot them. Unless you're out of ammo. Then you run.

But yeah, I'm gonna instal SS2 now...

Verek

« Reply #65 on: 07 Mar 2005, 15:41 »

Quick Update,

SS2 is the scariest game ever, I put it in the CD tray, and it said, "This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to limitations with DirectX 6.1"

And I screamed, "NOOOOOOOOOOO*hiccup*OOOOOOOOOOOO*hiccup*OOOOOOOOOOO*hiccup*OOOOOOOO!

This is ridiculous. Windows 2000 has never failed me before. Plus, I still have the hiccups. I'VE HAD THEM FOR LIKE AN HOUR. IT SUCKS.

Super Dave

« Reply #66 on: 11 Mar 2005, 15:18 »

i can't think of any video game that ever really scared me...

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
« Reply #67 on: 13 Mar 2005, 15:06 »

eternal darkness.....it made me cry....i was also playing in a dark room during a thunderstorm though....
...really polite and kind of squishy...

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #68 on: 13 Mar 2005, 15:26 »

LOVED System Shock, all those years ago . . . Can't say it really scared me, though.  Haven't played S.S.2.

Scariest gaming moment I can think of is the "Return to the Cathedral" mission from Thief.  All through the game you've been learning about staying in the shadows to survive, avoiding conflict so you don't get the shit beaten out of you - and then at the start of that mission you get dumped in blazing light with the sound of virtually indestructable zombies and ghosts and god knows what else all around you, and three closed doors.  What do you do?  Where do you go??  And the more you think about it, the more you realise you've got to do something, fast, before one of those doors opens . . . Paralysed with fear.

Super Dave

« Reply #69 on: 16 Mar 2005, 18:14 »

Just played SH2 for X-Box.

Holy SHIT.

that game is FUCKING CREEPY AS HELL

And when that one zombie thing comes out from under the truck, whoah, I nearly had to change my pantaloons...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #70 on: 16 Mar 2005, 22:38 »

Quote from: Akbar
Actually I've been looking forward to that game for ages now. How long has it been in development, 4-5 years?

Anything based on Lovecraft's works ought to be scary as hell, unless those developing the game are complete morons. Screens and videos have looked rather good this far though.

Oh, it's going to rock. it's being made by Bethesda, which in itself is enough for me to say it's already going to kick ass.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

hooligan

« Reply #71 on: 25 Mar 2005, 05:23 »

Quote from: Simon
Doom 3 has had me scared witless on occasions; the decision to not have a built-in flashlight was a great one and added tons to the atmosphere. You know something is going to come at your face, but you can't see where from.

I just started Doom3 and it has me scared shitless.  I had to stop playing the other day because I was getting way too jumpy.

hooligan

« Reply #72 on: 25 Mar 2005, 05:25 »

Quote from: Abattur
Lets just wait that Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of earth comes.

I bet that game will be scary...

I just bought a new computer because I knew I had to get this game when it came out, and my old PC wouldn't handle it.

ASturge

« Reply #73 on: 25 Mar 2005, 08:41 »

Quote from: Verek
Quick Update,

SS2 is the scariest game ever, I put it in the CD tray, and it said, "This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to limitations with DirectX 6.1"

And I screamed, "NOOOOOOOOOOO*hiccup*OOOOOOOOOOOO*hiccup*OOOOOOOOOOO*hiccup*OOOOOOOO!

This is ridiculous. Windows 2000 has never failed me before. Plus, I still have the hiccups. I'VE HAD THEM FOR LIKE AN HOUR. IT SUCKS.

SS2 does work on windows 2000, what yeh on about?!?!

lord_modred

« Reply #74 on: 25 Mar 2005, 12:30 »

eternal darkness....

or the origional alien vs predator, it's freakin scary when your walkin down a hallway that is barely lit by a flare... the flare goes out, you hear a scream and that "tick tick tick" noise, and when you shoot out another flare you see three aliens running along the walls straight at you.

Wred

« Reply #75 on: 25 Mar 2005, 16:16 »

Doom 3 is decently jumpy, however after about 20 minutes of playing it loses that. The more I played it, the easier it got to see the little nooks and crannies things are going to pop out of.

The Haunted Hotel in Vampire The Masquerade scared the bejesus the first time I played through it. Childrens voices going from giggles to screams... scary stuff. Lights flicker and the words GET OUT are written on the wall right before your eyes. Great scary ambience.

Halo even had its nice jumpy parts once the Flood show up.

Moriarty

« Reply #76 on: 25 Mar 2005, 16:59 »

Lets see now - From personal experience:
System Shock 2, especially the moment when Shodan appears in a blaze of Matrix/Lawnmower Man style graphics and all your hope about seeing a friendly face falls out your bottom. The first system shock scared me too, since you knew it was Shodan from the start, but she'd continually hack your comlink at key points to shit you up even further 0_o)
Any Marine/Predator level after the first on AVP 1 and 2: Its this point the facehuggers appear :|
Ravenholm, Half-Life 2: It doesn't help when you are at a dimmed lights LAN party wearing headphones and some 16 stone bastard decides to grab you be the neck from behind
From second hand experience, the Cradle level from Thief 3 is supposedly the most traumatising game moment. There was a huge article about it in PC Gamer UK, and its especially effective in a game where you are trying to be sneaky since you jump at sudden noises and movement on normal levels :)

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #77 on: 25 Mar 2005, 19:25 »

By far, the scariest game ever was Eternal Darkness : Sanity's Requiem
If it wasnt the crying woman sound in the background, the pure fright from your character suddenly falling to pieces, the statues gaze following you in hallways, or any of that, it had to be the idea of a normal, spindly little girl going up against a GOD... a tad scary there

Second would be RE4... Smart enemies = Hella Scary
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Wred

« Reply #78 on: 25 Mar 2005, 19:48 »

I will never be able to get into RE4. The idea of smart zombies just plain pisses me off. THEY'RE ZOMBIES! They are the walking dead. T-Virus or no, They are walking partially decomposed corpses. Their only instinct is to eat the brain right out of your skull.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 25 Mar 2005, 19:49 »

They aren't zombies in RE4.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #80 on: 25 Mar 2005, 20:59 »

Yeah. THey're zombie like villagers with chainsaws.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ahsaehr

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #81 on: 27 Mar 2005, 23:32 »

The two games that I've played that have really freaked me out aren't as weird when they are played with a full night's rest. American McGees Alice, and The suffering. Both mixed with a lot of sleep deprivation, Bawls, and being a fifteen year old home alone on a Friday night/ Saturday morning and Saturday night in a room where no sunlight can enter = t3h cr33p5. And all the hallucinations in the Suffering were freaking me out because, at first, I thought I was hallucinating.

Theo

« Reply #82 on: 28 Mar 2005, 01:54 »

Quote from: James

I wouldn't say it's my scariest game, but the single most terrifying gaming moment for me was in Eternal Darkness. The bathroom, man. Man, the bathroom.

When I accidentally saw that the first time, I was just like "that's it, man. That's it." I put down the controller and didn't play the game for a good week and a half.

SH2 was the best horror I've ever played pending my trying SS2, but I was in love with the concept of Siren. The atmosphere and "sightjack" things were pretty neat. and I liked the enemies too. but playing it sucked pretty hard due to the fact that you couldn't see anything 'cause o' the darkness and the REALLY clunky controls. It seems more like a noble yet failed experiment by my experiences.

mosfet

« Reply #83 on: 28 Mar 2005, 05:13 »

I thought the Suffering was pretty intense, untill I got Doom 3!  That game is intense as all crap!  It'd have been easier if I turned up the brightness on my monitor, but thats for wussies. :P  Its just as some of the web comics portray it...  don't touch or say anything to someone playing Doom 3.... If it weren't for my intense self control and reflexes, my chihuahua wouldn't still be around :P

but in the end... Mighty Cthulhu will pwn us all.

Super Dave

« Reply #84 on: 29 Mar 2005, 20:34 »

Quote from: mosfet
...don't touch or say anything to someone playing... If it weren't for my intense self control and reflexes, my chihuahua wouldn't still be around :P

I know how you feel, after playing through the apartments in SilentHill2 (FUCKING TERRIFYING)

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #85 on: 30 Mar 2005, 04:01 »

Unreal, the original unreal. At the start when your on the prison ship, you stand next to a door and hear a guy scream, and the door opens and his body, ripped to shreds, flies across the room and hits the wall. Later on in the game, whilst your still only armed with the pistol, in a long hallway, the lights slowly turn off one by one, until finally your in darkness, you hear a growl behind you and all you see in the dark are two red eyes.

Scariest fucking moment.

I should have quoted them, but whoever said the thing about Zork Nemesis was right, it creepyed the hell out of me, but a very cool game.
Anyone play Zach Mcraken? Its an old game, but it gave me nightmares, its not that scary.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Deformagraphy

« Reply #86 on: 01 Apr 2005, 02:33 »

Quote from: Wred
I will never be able to get into RE4. The idea of smart zombies just plain pisses me off. THEY'RE ZOMBIES! They are the walking dead. T-Virus or no, They are walking partially decomposed corpses. Their only instinct is to eat the brain right out of your skull.

They're not zombies.

I'm just saying that to piss you off.

But seriously, they're not zombies.  Get over it.  It's a great game.

Hephesus

« Reply #87 on: 01 Apr 2005, 08:42 »

Fatal Frame 1 & 2 were scary as FUCK.

Especially because I played them at night.

I remember once while I was playing Fatal Frame 2 I went to the bathroom and my dog brushed my leg and shaved off 5 year of my life expectancy from the scare.

Wyngs

« Reply #88 on: 01 Apr 2005, 09:27 »

I'm stuck between Silent Hill & Doom3. Doom3 because of the intense darkness and not able to see anything, and Silent Hill because, basically, its Silent Hill...

kingfandango

« Reply #89 on: 15 Apr 2005, 14:09 »

Quote from: Simon
Which of the Resident Evil/Silent Hill games would you say were the best/scariest? I can see that I might have to pick up a copy of them :D

RE...I'd have to say 4...especially the Mercinary Mission with the Chainsaw Maniac...yeh, fuk that shit.

SH...Check out silent Hill 4, every body raves about SH2, but it just didn't do it for me, the enemies are easy and after awhile it just kills the creep factor, that and theres too much of a big build up to nothing happening ;P

Games that freaked me out though:

Fatal Frame...the game makes me edgy and gives me the shakes..."Where did it go? Oh good it's gone." comes out of camera mode"Jesus, it's right behind me!!!"

Doom 3: was pretty scarey, I did a  lot of "Ahhhh fuck, kill it, kill it." unloading shell after shell into what ever just jumped out of nowhere...until a point where I was just screwing around while my friend was watching and I was like "I wonder how hard it is to kill a demon in hand to hand." Proceeds to pummel said Imp..."Damn demons are tough"  my friend then replies "Demons are tough, you just killed one with your bare hands."...there was no more question as to why you had lived so long and everyone else was dead.

Silent Hill 4: The game just fucks with your head...I refuse to even pin a ghost...the noises they make, god the noises.

Splatterhouse 3 on Genesis: The teddy bear with the claws and the voice of maniacal laughing children, yeh, that was just not right...

Lastly...a very seldom known game...

Space Hulk on 3DO: Probably the most claustraphobic game I've ever played and like AVP...the motion tracker is the key...me and my friend would turn the brightness down on his T.V. to the point of where you could only see about 5 feet in front of yourself and play a mission where you are in corridors where there is no side to side movement only forward and backwards, not to mention that you motion tracker is only audio, the screen on it is nothing but static....imagine being Dallas in the first Alien movie

*beep*
*beep*
*beep* beep*
*beep* beep* beep*
"Oh god, is it behind me...where is it coming from."
Next thing you know you turn around to a Genestealer in your face
Genestealers = Aliens w/ four arms and on speed

Akbar

« Reply #90 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:40 »

Quote from: GebStar
Unreal, the original unreal. At the start when your on the prison ship, you stand next to a door and hear a guy scream, and the door opens and his body, ripped to shreds, flies across the room and hits the wall.

Fucking yes. This still lives on in my memory as one of the best computer game moments I've experienced ever. It was even better since I played it with a friend of mine and his brother, both of whom had already played it and were prodding me along. Playing at maximum volume and in total darkness also helped.

I was scared witless the whole time, from when you step out of your cell to when you exit onto the planet itself.

All in all, probably the best opening act of any FPS ever.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #91 on: 16 Apr 2005, 09:10 »

thief: Deadly shadows.

holy. mother. fuck. They've produced the scariest area of all time.

sorry folks, but Ravenholme comes in a very, VERY distant second.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Plumbum

« Reply #92 on: 16 Apr 2005, 16:35 »

Ravenholm wasn't scary, just annoying.
No one should feel afraid wielding a shotgun :)

Thief 3 indeed has creepy undeads but I must say Seiken Densetsu 3's ghost ship level was really scary, especially the 6x6 pixel face in the window...

Simon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #93 on: 16 Apr 2005, 16:50 »

I've been playing Doom3 a lot more recently. Right now I am scared shitless of the Cherubs. They're babies with no legs and wings and clawed hands, and then they scream "mummy!" and then wail and hiss and cry when you kill them! I have been forced to cheat and arm myself with a chaingun and tons of ammo. I will not face them with anything less. I now refuse to play any Cherub-infested areas at night.

I am a wuss :(

Moriarty

« Reply #94 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:14 »

Quote from: wraithzero
What's this new game that a lot of the old SS team is working on?
I read something about it a few months ago...

That would be BioShock
Quote from: kingfandango
Lastly...a very seldom known game...

Space Hulk on 3DO: Probably the most claustraphobic game I've ever played and like AVP...the motion tracker is the key...me and my friend would turn the brightness down on his T.V. to the point of where you could only see about 5 feet in front of yourself and play a mission where you are in corridors where there is no side to side movement only forward and backwards, not to mention that you motion tracker is only audio, the screen on it is nothing but static....imagine being Dallas in the first Alien movie

*beep*
*beep*
*beep* beep*
*beep* beep* beep*
"Oh god, is it behind me...where is it coming from."
Next thing you know you turn around to a Genestealer in your face
Genestealers = Aliens w/ four arms and on speed

Agreed, the sequel was just as good, but underrated due to all the FPS games released at the time.

harvest17

« Reply #95 on: 17 Apr 2005, 15:32 »

Another vote for SS2.

It had both great elements of a scary game/movie/whatever: shocks and gut-twisting anxiety.

Shock: Moving through the Rec area with that *creeeepy* music playing, going to check out a door when it opens by itself and a cyber-ninja leaps out; or simply playing in total darkness and my water bottle expands with that *poink!* noise the plastic makes. Both occasion I just about shat myself.

Anxiety: Meeting the first of Malick's "surprises"and not knowing what it was or how to kill it; then having a triple-load AP shotgun blast leave it unharmed while it circled round at the speed of thought and killed me while I was running away. I was weak at the knees and shaking after that encounter...

The Mighty Mopdecai

Ah Eternal Darkness
« Reply #96 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:00 »

I liked Eternal Darkness I only played through it once is there anywhere you can see the full ending on the internet.

Finding Emo

« Reply #97 on: 17 Apr 2005, 21:06 »

dave86

« Reply #98 on: 18 Apr 2005, 02:37 »

This may be a minority view, but when i was 6 the music that played in Sonic the Hedgehog when he fought Doctor Robotnik gave me the jibblies.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #99 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:54 »

I get freaked out by those things that sound like evil cackling dolphins when you shut down Windows 2000 (I think).  Seriously.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up