THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 06:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last Show You Saw  (Read 64348 times)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
The Last Show You Saw
« on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:00 »

The title is pretty self explanitory. What was the last band you saw? For me, I saw Gwar and All That Remains on Saturday
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Sarah

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:47 »

I saw the Mull Historical Society. They were ACE. ACE, I tell you!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:01 »

I saw Rammstein, supported by Apocalyptica.

DAMN that was an awesome evening. Highlights were when one member of Apocalyptica jumped on top of the drum kit to play a cello solo during the middle of their cover of Master of Puppets, and of course, Apocalypticas announcer guy ("Since Apocalyptica are CELLOS FROM HELL ve play you ze original und ultimate BLACK METAL song...EDVARD GRIEG, HALL OF ZE MOUNTAIN KING!")

Oh, and EVER single Rammstein song. Like during Seemann when one of the guitarists stripped off his trousers to reveal some speedos, and jumped in an inflatable dinghy the roadies slung across the top of the crowd, rowing it across the whole auditorium and back to the stage, amd in Mein Teil where Till wheeled on Flake, the keyboard player, in a giant pot (with a keyboard attatched he would pop out and play) then roasted him in the pot with a flamethrower, which set fire to a pyrotechnic vest he was wearing, after which he ran around stage on fire with firecrackers going off left and right whilst Till chased him round with a giant butchers knife (in which his microphone was at the time concealed).

SO AWESOME.

Next definite gig I have lined up is Cradle of Filth and Moonspell (!!!) but I'll probably go to the Hatebreed concert locally in March, not because of Hatebreed (seen 'em before) but because of CROWBAR SUPPORTING THEM.

After complaining for so long about the fact that nearly all the concerts we got down here were whiny emo bollocks and related scene bands (plus some crap nu-metal) we're suddenly getting The Haunted (might go to that one as well), Crowbar, Cradle and Moonspell locally!

^____________________________________^
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

czar0406

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:02 »

Dillinger Escape Plan.  

there album "Miss Machine" made me its bitch.

AndSheeWas

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:24 »

Oh geez, it was either The Clarks or Bad Religion...I think it was The Clarks.

BehringerBoy

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:26 »

rammstein are crazy. i was at a kinda festival with hundreds of amateur bands playing on 8 stages. some really good bands among them.

mAlice aforeThought

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:47 »

skinny puppy & otto von schirach, the night before halloween.
fucking crazy shit.  ogre was, as üsual, covered in god-knows-what.  the video was great.

fin

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:08 »

the rushes, i think their a local edinburgh band - not very big.

they were fucking excellent, they played kinda indie rock stuff i guess, maybe a bit franz ferdinandish, and they had a good frontman. going to see brendan benson next week - cant wait.

kikanjuuneko

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:26 »

Last I saw was Breather Resist. A band most people don't think of anything beyond "good" on CD. Live, however, they are goddamn amazing. Slayer references and dead baby jokes ahoy!

kikanjuuneko

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:28 »

EDIT: Stupid forum bugs.

devils_daughter

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:29 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I saw Rammstein

I'm not sure if I love you or hate you for that but I'm definatly jealous!

The last band I saw was TOB's brothers one last week but the last big thing I went to was Reading Festival 04.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:37 »

I saw Steve Devil & the Relatives, ilyAIMY, and Private Eleanor last month.

You probably haven't heard of those bands unless you're deep into the Baltimore indie scene.  I certainly wouldn't have if they weren't all friends of friends.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Vertical Stripes

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:41 »

Aw man, I NEVER go to concerts.  I lack funds most of the time and there's never anything scheduled that I actually want to see when I DO have cash.  I go and see bands of friends all the time, but I don't think that counts XD

So that would probably be Bif Naked, but only because a friend's band was opening for her.

Also, the friend's band sucked.

MiltyGirl

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2005, 09:03 »

I went to Ben Folds and Ben Kweller last Thursday. I'm a freelancer for a local webmag (which means they don't pay me!), so we had press passes, and I got to meet Ben Folds!
I know all you metal and hipster people are thinking what a fool! But that was the best show I've been to yet. Especially when he stood on the Steinway. He also played something like a 2 and a half hour set - straight through. I can't even explain the awesomeness.

MiltyGirl

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2005, 09:03 »

I went to Ben Folds and Ben Kweller last Thursday. I'm a freelancer for a local webmag (which means they don't pay me!), so we had press passes, and I got to meet Ben Folds!
I know all you metal and hipster people are thinking what a fool! But that was the best show I've been to yet. Especially when he stood on the Steinway. He also played something like a 2 and a half hour set - straight through. I can't even explain the awesomeness.

Akbar

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2005, 10:10 »

Jamborees, The Baboon Show and two other bands I can't be arsed to remember.

Good stuff.

Morokrat

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2005, 10:13 »

last one: strom & wasser

last big one: flogging molly
whee, that show was pretty awesome, i tell you...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:03 »

Quote from: czar0406
Dillinger Escape Plan.  

there album "Miss Machine" made me its bitch.

I probably stand as about the only person on the planet who disliked DEP live. I thought they were awful when I saw them. I wasn't too keen on Poison the Well either. That evening was only saved by the opener, Ephel Duath, who roxored (or should that be jazzdored?) my boxers. The singer kept shoving the microphone into the crowd and as one of the few people not there for either of the other two bands I got to scream 'EEEPHEEEL DUAAATTTHH' into it in my best black metal banshee screech.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ev0lve

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:19 »

Quote from: mAlice aforeThought
skinny puppy & otto von schirach, the night before halloween.
fucking crazy shit.  ogre was, as üsual, covered in god-knows-what.  the video was great.

i know you have some spelling issues, but you can at least spell ohGr right, can't you?

to answer the question:
Ministry with Hanzel und Gretyl and Opiate for the Masses.

it blew.

i'm seeing Ani Difranco in 3 days, though, which should be a lot better.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:31 »

Ogre = Kevin Ogilvie
ohGr = Kevin Oglivie and Mark Walk

Ogre is a member of Skinny Puppy, while ohGr is Ogre's side-project.

ohGr didn't play on last Skinny Puppy tour.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

ev0lve

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:33 »

I'm not that into the life histories of bands I like.
I guess I was misinformed. I apologize.

kikanjuuneko

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:35 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I probably stand as about the only person on the planet who disliked DEP live. I thought they were awful when I saw them.

I saw them live at last years Hultsfred festival here, and based on what I saw, you're crazy. :P

Hell, I bought tickets for them in April, because I had to see them again.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:46 »

I just couldn't get myself moving to it. I utterly hate the way DEP will start up a decent groove or melody then just suddenly palm-mute everything and start another one. Some of their songs on CD are ok, but they played all the ones I dislike the most (Panasonic Youth, 43% Burnt etc.). They just cross an incredibly fine border that really puts me off them. I mean, I fucking LOVED SikTh live, even though they didn't play my favourite track (How May I Help You?). Stuff like DEP just jarrs me and puts me off. I gotta admit they got energy, but I just sat it out on a window-ledge at the back then pissed off all my friends who went (mainly emo/hardcore types) for the rest of the evening by moaning how much better Impaled Nazarene would have been.

Also, their pit was full of windmillers. I wear glasses, and I had no-one to give them to. I ain't going into a windmiller pit with glasses. Windmilling transgresses all the unwritten rules of the mosh anyway, but wearing glasses just makes it even more intensely shit.

muffy

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:50 »

I get free gigs too as I'm music ed for our uni paper - so the last 2 weeks have been pretty cool - working backwards...

Sun: Scarlet Soho  - the single most disappointing gig I've been to as I used to love this band and they were nothing short of dire.

Fri: LCD Soundsystem - ace, danceable and stuck in a room with loads of hyper pillheads and electroclash fasionistas

Tue: The Others, Brakes, The Cherubs - Brakes = Best band in the world, ever. The Others were just desparate to get more fans - the guitarist literally begged a couple of us to take his number then made us feel guilty for not having bought the album (which is also  dire)

Mon: Adam Green - quality cabaret, Adam Green is a dick who doesn't seem to like female journalists

Wed: The Killers, Bloc Party, Futureheads + The Kaiser Chiefs - I really, realy dislike the idea of NME endorsed shows, but it was actually pretty good, even if it was a NO SMOKING gig...

Mon: Death From Above 1979 - insane.

Looking at that, it's no wonder I'm now horribly ill, as that doesn't include the clubs and random drinnking nights..

nothingwitty

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2005, 12:22 »

Matchbook Romance...

Interpol was the next day; I went to Matchbook Romance.

I hate girls sometimes.

MilkmanDan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:53 »

Last Live show I was... me. I didn't get to see myself, so that doesn't count. However, I watched my support band, so I guess I'll say them: Oddwog. Sounds impressive, until you realise that I was playing at my friend's 18th birthday party, and Oddwog is his band. So, I suck. I then talked with this guy called Mr K who is supporting Venetian Snares next week. Fame. Slightly irrelevant, but fucking sweet all the same.
Before that I saw Heatseeker down the pub, but I know them too, so I guess that doesn't count either. Damn.

Alright then, 65daysofstatic. They ruled with an IRON FIST. OF IRON. It was also in a pub, so half the audience had NO idea what was going on, and the people who had actually come for 65DOS where almost all far too cool to dance. In an effort to get some action, the guitarist says "Could we get a thing going where the people at the back all try and get to the front?" and someone in the audience yelled "That would be Chaos!". It was comedy gold.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:39 »

The last show I saw was possibly the worst battle of the bands ever, which is documented somewhere else on this forum. It sucked so hard.

I am going to see Crowned King this Thursday, and maybe (here is hoping) Alexisonfire when they come through again.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

czar0406

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:46 »

im seeing Alexisonfire March 3rd.

c1utch

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:03 »

I saw the Epitaph Tour 2005 the sunday before last.  Too bad it was like, the 5 worst bands on that label, my sister dragged me

I'm seeing Damien and Stephen Marley in Orlando next week, Bob Marley's 60th you know.

That aughta be fun.

czar0406

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:07 »

man your gonna leave that show smelling like every type of weed there is.

MrKneebone

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:17 »

Went to see The Shins, supported by the Boat People and the Zebras a couple of weekends ago.   Thanks to a rediculously long wait for a taxi, I managed to catch the last song of the set, and the encore.    

I had "So Says I" in my head for a week afterwards though, so I sorta feel like I got my money's worth.

Burninated Peasant

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #31 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:27 »

Last show I saw was The Pixies (Opening acts Marble Index and The Datsuns). Considering there is no living band that I'd rather go to see, I was quite excited. It was the first concert I'd been to in years. I saw that the tickets were on sale just after I finally got out of the hospital after 3.5 months and two open-heart valve replacement surgeries. It was like karma trying to balance itself out: "Sorry you almost died three times already this year, we'll get the Pixies back together with a tour stop in your area and call it even, 'kay?" There was no way I wasn't going to that concert.

emor

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #32 on: 14 Feb 2005, 21:27 »

I saw This Bike is a Pipe Bomb.  Woah yeah, best four dollars spent ever.

trill

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #33 on: 14 Feb 2005, 21:55 »

I <3 the Pipe Bomb. Did they play Ohio?

My last show? Defiance, Ohio and two local bands.
one local band sucked, the other one, The Pinehill Haints, was this really good rockabily band.
Defiance, Ohio made it okay that I was at a show alone, they were that good. They had this great energy on the stage that, really, is a bit too rare lately.

Malphas

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #34 on: 14 Feb 2005, 23:47 »

Last show I saw was Goatwhore/Himsa/Arch Enemy/Cradle of Filth.  The show kinda sucked in my opinion, then again, it was an MTV sponsored tour.  Goatwhore wasn't particularly impressive, and Himsa was downright awful.  Arch Enemy was by far the best act there, which was sort of surprising for me.  They put on a nice set, and the croud was getting into it.  I haven't really seen all that many shows, maybe 10 or so, but Cradle of Filth was one of the lamest acts I've ever seen.  The show itself wasn't very impressive, as they did a few of their new, terrible, tracks.  At one point in the set, Dani asked all the women to throw their bras at him.  Yeah, whatever asshole.  Anyways, one woman was apparently not particularly fond of Dani, so she threw her bra into his mouth while he was singing, causing a fit of coughing and choking.  I laughed my ass off when that happened.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2005, 00:26 »

Last saw Modest Mouse.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:48 »

Quote from: Malphas
Last show I saw was Goatwhore/Himsa/Arch Enemy/Cradle of Filth.  The show kinda sucked in my opinion, then again, it was an MTV sponsored tour.  Goatwhore wasn't particularly impressive, and Himsa was downright awful.  Arch Enemy was by far the best act there, which was sort of surprising for me.  They put on a nice set, and the croud was getting into it.  I haven't really seen all that many shows, maybe 10 or so, but Cradle of Filth was one of the lamest acts I've ever seen.  The show itself wasn't very impressive, as they did a few of their new, terrible, tracks.  At one point in the set, Dani asked all the women to throw their bras at him.  Yeah, whatever asshole.  Anyways, one woman was apparently not particularly fond of Dani, so she threw her bra into his mouth while he was singing, causing a fit of coughing and choking.  I laughed my ass off when that happened.

You're still a lucky git.

I have reports that Arch Enemy are the BUSINESS live (I'm still slightly cut up about not being able to see the Swedish Apocalypse tour with Dark Tranquillity and The Haunted) Cradle I'm seeing in April. I would seriously, seriously love them to be the best thing ever (They were the first metal band I ever loved, and I'll stick by them for all the good times), but I fear I am several years too late. A set-list found on the net confirms this. No Queen of Winter, Throned, no Summer Dying Fast, not even any of their decent newer songs (There's nothing at all off Bitter Suites to Succubi, not even Scorched Earth Erotica). Just a couple of tracks of yawn off Damnation and a Day, some crap like Guilded Cunt and Nemesis from their new 'effort' and, from the reports I've heard, they've seemingly lost the will to live as far as live performance goes. I hope Dani can crank out more shrieks live than he does on Nymphetamine anyway, or otherwise any attempt to perform 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh' will just be a bloody joke. And fuck, if they weren't even trying I'd Dimebag Dani's midget ass. STOP CHANGING THE LINEUP YOU WANKER.
Sorry, the decline of CoF into commercialism and dross makes me very sad.

catflea

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #37 on: 15 Feb 2005, 12:39 »

Quote from: muffy
Scarlet Soho  - the single most disappointing gig I've been to as I used to love this band and they were nothing short of dire.

I got dragged to this.   I got so bored I started pumping all my cash into the It-box     (a kinda interactive gambling machine)   and started necking as much southern comfort as I could!

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Before that - Feb 5th.   Greenday - fcuking fantastic.

Next (I think)  -  Dropkick Murpheys

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #38 on: 15 Feb 2005, 13:18 »

ah... Green Day in the MEN arena a coupla weeks back :)

im going to see feeder in a few weeks though
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Taste_of_blood

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #39 on: 15 Feb 2005, 15:09 »

FIGMENT!!! WOOOOO!!!!

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2005, 15:15 »

Me and a couple friends drove out to the Flywheel in Easthampton on Saturday to go see Cars Can Be Blue.  It turned out that CCBB didn't show up, but the Worst Fucking Band In The History of the Universe sure goddamn did.  They were called Refuge; it was three obviously college, probably frat, boys playing acoustic guitars.  The guy that sang did the overwrought Creed voice and they weren't in tune.  They played a song called "Silhouette for a Suicide".  Then one of the other guys started rapping.  We walked out.  It wouldn't have been so dramatic if we weren't the only people there who weren't friends of one of the bands.  The promoter/horribly awkward MC guy said "We've still got one great band left!" as we were leaving; I didn't say anything, but my friend Jess kinda snickered a little.  

Usually I enjoy shows a lot more.  PopFest back in November was one of the best things ever...
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Tinjessla

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #41 on: 15 Feb 2005, 15:27 »

PJ Harvey, waaaaay back in September was the last gig i went to where i was paying more than £7 for the ticket. More than £7 = big name artist in my experience. And a couple of weeks back i saw the guy i befriended in the local irish themed pub play with his local band. They were pretty good.

Rune

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2005, 15:34 »

I saw Blackthorn (a local- quite celtic-influenced band) the other day. I was going to see my friend play a battle of the bands, but one of the people I was going with forgot his ID and so we didn't feel right leaving him outside.

Blackthorn, however, was excellent.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #43 on: 15 Feb 2005, 15:35 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I am going to see Crowned King this Thursday, and maybe (here is hoping) Alexisonfire when they come through again.

I jsut saw Crowned King when I went to go see Big D and The Kids Table (last show I was at), a show my friend was promoting. I skanked until I dropped, but CK sucked hard....very hard.
I like the way you work it.

c1utch

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #44 on: 15 Feb 2005, 15:46 »

Quote from: czar0406
man your gonna leave that show smelling like every type of weed there is.

No Joke, been to many, many others here in Colorado

Funniest part is my dad, uncle and aunt are going too

This happens to be an "all ages" show

Since my dad's friend films/tapes shows for the Fox Theater and sometimes Red Rocks I guess, I'm allowed in older (18/21) shows as part of his 'film crew'

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #45 on: 15 Feb 2005, 17:01 »

Damn, CK were pretty good last time they came to town (opening for the Distillers). Unfortunately about 3 of the opening bands were at the terrible Battle Of The Bands, and they were not the good ones. I am kind of scared.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

muffy

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #46 on: 15 Feb 2005, 17:10 »

Catflea, I apologise profusely for Scarlet Soho. Had I known they were going to be that bad, I'd have let you stay at home, regardless of the need for moral support...

Back on track for gigs - I have Soulwax tomorrow, Kimya Dawson on Friday and Now it's Overhead on Saturday...such happiness!

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #47 on: 15 Feb 2005, 18:43 »

Muffy, IM GREEN WITH ENVY! Not only because of Kimya Dawnson, but becuase of your previously listed shows too! *POUTS*
I like the way you work it.

trill

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2005, 20:26 »

Dear god I need to move to where any of you live. I have only ever seen 4 legitimately famous bands, and three of those were at the same time...

No one wants to play northwest florida.

mAlice aforeThought

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #49 on: 15 Feb 2005, 20:46 »

hrm...i'm bad with directions...you stuck in J-ville, too?  we actually do get some good stuff...skinny puppy, pigface, professional murder music, concrete blonde...hell, ohgr made this their only florida stop back in '01.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up