THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 03:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I formed a band while drunk.  (Read 4447 times)

Micolithe

I formed a band while drunk.
« on: 13 Jan 2006, 23:07 »

I could have sworn I posted this here when it happened. I know I posted it to VGC, I guess not here.

The characters in this story are me, Jason, Peter, and Matt. Peter is our writer friend who likes some of the same music as us (Neutral Milk Hotel and Johnny Cash, specifically), but has no interest in writing songs.

We spent most of Sunday playing Super Smash Brothers Melee and drinking Rum and Coke. After Peter went home from Matt's on Sunday night, we all went upstairs and watched some TV. Some reality show about a whorehouse. While we were watching it, Matt asked if I wanted to learn any other instruments besides guitar, since my guitaring isn't going very well. My fingers are way too slow to change positions at a decent speed. I said that I'd learn the drums if he taught me, so me Jason and Matt went down to the basement to try.

At first I had no idea what I was doing, but it slowly began to make more sense as I went along, and eventually I ended up playing a portion of Seven Nation Army (the simple part.) I told them that it made a hell of alot more sense to me than guitar, and upon saying this, Jason said "He's our drummer!" and offered to teach me. I still kind of sucked, because 1. I was drunk and 2. I've never played the drums before, with the exception of banging aimlessly on Uncle Carlos's (NOTE: Not my real uncle.) drum set at grandma's old house when I was a kid.

What really amazes me about Jason and Matt is that they taught eachother how to play Wave of Mutilation by The Pixies right before my eyes, and while drunk, too. And now I can't stop listening to the album Doolittle because of it.

Because I was drunk (and because my car was in the next town over) I spent the night. And when I woke up I walked up route 206 back to Jason's house, because that's where I parked my car.

No we don't have a name. However, come decision time, my idea will be "The Notebook Doodles," because I've made some fictional album covers under that name because I think it would be a cool name. Yes, Jason and Matt are good at what they do. Especially considering Jason's only been playing Bass since the summer.

Spartan Pho3nix

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:08 »

Formed a band
We formed a band
Look at us
We formed a band

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: I formed a band while drunk.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:43 »

Quote from: Micolithe
My fingers are way too slow to change positions at a decent speed.

You know, there's a way to fix this. It's called PRACTICE.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:19 »

or post-rock.

I'm not hating on post-rock here ok?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:32 »

That was pretty awesome right there.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Felix

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:52 »

I'm buying you a 6-pack McTaggart!

Manta Ray

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2006, 19:32 »

stick at the drums, it takes just as much practice, but it's so much fun. And so much easier than the guitar.
And the easy part to seven nation army? haha, which part was that again?
Yeah, Doolittle is an amazing album. My band really doesn't play much else. We've got Hey and Gouge Away down, and about 5 other pixies tracks too. That and some Jane's.

Patatat

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2006, 09:07 »

Yeah, cause drums don't take years just to be a beginner.

Micolithe

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2006, 11:11 »

Quote from: Manta Ray
stick at the drums, it takes just as much practice, but it's so much fun. And so much easier than the guitar.
And the easy part to seven nation army? haha, which part was that again?
Yeah, Doolittle is an amazing album. My band really doesn't play much else. We've got Hey and Gouge Away down, and about 5 other pixies tracks too. That and some Jane's.
The part where you hit the bass drum four times.... >_>

heretic

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2006, 06:09 »

drums are definatly easier. if you have natural rhythm. if you don't, you're pretty well fucked. tapping your fingers on desks counts as practice though, which is nice.

Manta Ray

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2006, 11:59 »

well, tbh i just say it's a lot easier because i've been playing a while now, but it does need a lot of practice. I didn't get into a band until i was playing them a year, while a lot of guitarists and bassists will start off playing in a band. But if you enjoy it, keep at it, it's well worth it. There's Always something new to learn. Don't try to get too tricky too soon, keep to the basics: the rhythm. That's the most important part by far, fills don't mean shit, and don't sound cool if you can't keep them in time.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2006, 18:02 »

Quote from: Manta Ray

...not trying to be an asshole, but uh, are you being serious? I've been playing drums for 6 years now, and a lot of my friends have been playing for longer and their diddles STILL suck. Drumming is only easy if you actually have rhythm and coordination in all 4 limbs.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2006, 18:20 »

And seriously, guys, you're giving the guitar too much credit. Get past the first year and it's all a FUCKING BREEZE from that point on. Seriously.
Pages: [1]   Go Up