THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last Show You Saw  (Read 63368 times)

trill

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #50 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:18 »

No, I'm way over by Pensacola. Most everything is just a little to far to go...

I've found myself looking forward to Underoath, and I don't even *like* underoath, but they're better than the average shitty metalcore bands that are playing in the area every damn night.

pip_helix

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #51 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:22 »

my last show was the dresden dolls on 5 february. the one before that was a couple of bands my friends are in - the sparrows and the grshn lifestyle. and then there was bright eyes and jim james last january.

Count_Zero

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #52 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:32 »

Last gig was the Bravery supported by the 5 O'Clock heroes at the Fleece on Monday. It was awesome, they hammered through all the songs people are 'supposed' to know, and the new (album) tracks sounded really good. Sam Endicott wished us all a Happy Valentines Day, and commented that this was 'Traditionally my least favourite day of the year. But this year I have a girl to have out with, and that's cool.'

Next gig: Hopefully Straylight Run at the Oxford Zodiac in March. It's a bit of a trek, but I don't think I'll forgive myself if I miss the opportunity to see them live...

Count

CidHighwind

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #53 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:11 »

DUDE!  I HAVE to go see Rammstein now.  Becuase I live in the middle fo nowhere, most decent concerts have been too out of reach for me to be worth it.  If and Whenever they tour to Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or nearby areas, I am going, hands down.

I havent been to a concert, to tell the truth, but I want to see Metallica, Rammstein, AC/DC, and Ozzy (hopefully before he kills himself with a massive 'whoops' moment like that ATV)

blindsuperhero

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #54 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:23 »

I saw Carbon/Silicon, Mick Jones's new band, last night. There an alright band, just standard rock 'n' roll stuff really, but I mainly went just to see him, it was amazing, being one metre away from a guy who was in the greatest rock band of all time.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #55 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:42 »

Soulwax!
2 hours ago!
And they were ace, and made me dance...there were loads of people in the audience complaining because they were expecting 2manyDJs.

I quite want to see the Bravery, as I got their album today

DeathrockZombie

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #56 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:43 »

The Cramps.

They were GODS

ElClandestino

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #57 on: 16 Feb 2005, 18:39 »

Eagles of Death Metal, along with the Assrockers and Walking Concert

Wow, that was way back in december, i gotta get out

upupdowndown

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #58 on: 17 Feb 2005, 22:34 »

Wilco @ Pompano Beach.

from a scale 1 to 10, this concert went to 11.

siobhan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #59 on: 18 Feb 2005, 06:34 »

last show i saw was in November of 2004, saw My Chemical Romance, Anberlin, Lost Prophets (i think?) and Story of the Year (ugh..)

however, the list of concert's ive missed in my region is much better (since i broke my leg) i've effectively missed:
Straylight Run/Say Anything
Death from Above
Bright Eyes (which i had tickets for!!!)
Broken Social Scene
Arcade Fire..

ugh.... who was the smartass that made bones breakable?

siobhan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #60 on: 18 Feb 2005, 06:35 »

last show i saw was in November of 2004, saw My Chemical Romance, Anberlin, Lost Prophets (i think?) and Story of the Year (ugh..)

however, the list of concert's ive missed in my region is much better (since i broke my leg) i've effectively missed:
Death from Above
Broken Social Scene
Arcade Fire..

siobhan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #61 on: 18 Feb 2005, 06:36 »

Death from Above
Broken Social Scene
Arcade Fire..

siobhan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #62 on: 18 Feb 2005, 06:37 »

Death from Above
Broken Social Scene
Arcade Fire..

siobhan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #63 on: 18 Feb 2005, 06:48 »

i'm sorry i posted twice....

blindsuperhero

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #64 on: 18 Feb 2005, 08:49 »

We have a winner!

Colm

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #65 on: 18 Feb 2005, 11:51 »

Q and not U, 1905, Del Cielo on Inauguration Day.

Whorhay

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #66 on: 18 Feb 2005, 13:21 »

Think the last concert or show I saw was a local band called Daytrader over a year ago. Can't recall what the most recent larger show I saw was though. Would need to go find my stack of ticket stubs.

blooflame

In Tallahassee
« Reply #67 on: 18 Feb 2005, 19:51 »

We don't get a lot of big acts, but we do get some pretty well-known  idie acts at the Beta Bar and Club Downunder (the latter run by the university and shows are free with student ID - but I'm not a student dang it).

The last show I saw was Southern Culture On The Skids.. if you get a chance to see SCOTS go see 'em,  the show is bound to be a lot of fun.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #68 on: 18 Feb 2005, 20:15 »

Crowned King last night, with a bunch of crap local bands. <3 Crowned King, their trombonist is the entire brass section but he held his own pretty well.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

muffy

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #69 on: 19 Feb 2005, 15:32 »

The Concretes and Frida at the Concorde, about 2 hours ago...
Frida was quality, all coquettish charm and amazing songs, but The Concretes kind of felt a bit flat, like it would be better to listen to them on record...

Then again, Brighton audiences are generally a bit rubbish - all self conscious and not willing to enjoy stuff incase they seem uncool, so that never reflects too well on any gig.

blindsuperhero

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #70 on: 19 Feb 2005, 16:42 »

My Awesome Compilation, Spitalfield and Fall Out Boy at the Cockpit, about 4 hours ago. MAC are my sister's friends' band, the only reasons I went were to see them and to buy their E.P. for £5 (as opposed to the £6-£9 asked in record shops), and they were great as usual, I knew I wouldn't like Fall Out Boy but as I'd bought a ticket I thought I should stay to see them. They were awful so I left at the end of the second song. Now, Fall Out Boy are generally regarded as an emo band, as evidenced by the vast quantities of people with slicked down dyed-black hair and girls' trousers, but listening to them I thought how do you tell the difference between an emo band and a pop-punk band? Is it just that pop-punk bands don't have badly-dressed teenage boys singing along in a melodramatic fashion (one hand on chest, other hand emphatically thrust skyward) at their shows? Because musically they sounded just like a pop-punk band.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #71 on: 19 Feb 2005, 16:50 »

Quote from: MrKneebone
Went to see The Shins, supported by the Boat People and the Zebras a couple of weekends ago.   Thanks to a rediculously long wait for a taxi, I managed to catch the last song of the set, and the encore.

That was in Brisbane, yeah? I saw them the following night in Sydney, with 78 Saab. They were great, but somehow not quite as engaging as they were the previous year. And only one new song in all that time! Still, they played just about every song they know, so well worth it.
(That keyboard player's still such a goose....is he on something, or just naturally goofy?)

Last gig I saw was Even and The Suits on Friday night at Spectrum. Even were looking a bit tired, and The Suits absolutely blew them away! I hear Even were in better form last night, though....
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Korlin

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #72 on: 19 Feb 2005, 20:57 »

Saw The Earlies siupported by Hem and Jackie Leven tonight, all of which were fabulous folk.

Last night saw The Go! Team supported by DJ Scoth Egg (no, really) and The Pipettes. Only the latter were less than great in this case.

lavinia nebbs

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #73 on: 19 Feb 2005, 22:19 »

I'm not sure if a coffeehouse type of acoustic thing counts as a show, but I saw B.J. O'Malley a few weeks ago.  She's a country singer from Youngstown Ohio and I love her a whole lot.
Before that, I'm pretty sure it was Reel Big Fish in November.  I feel like there should've been something in between there, but if there was, it couldn't have been that awesome if I can't even remember...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #74 on: 19 Feb 2005, 22:22 »

Last band I saw live was last year, Primus. Twas an amazing show.

I want to go see the Residents for their 33rd Anniversary tour, but so far nothing outside of Austrailia is planned. :(
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

muffy

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #75 on: 21 Feb 2005, 02:57 »

Quote from: Korlin
Last night saw The Go! Team supported by DJ Scoth Egg (no, really) and The Pipettes. Only the latter were less than great in this case.

Noooooo! Pipettes can't be bad! Pipettes are love!
Only because of a certain keyboardist...god, I'm sad.

Anyways... Saw Now It's Overhead last night at the Borderline, I've never had such a mission to get to a gig - train delays, lack of money etc, but
it was so good!
Even though loads of stuff broke and one of the girls wasn't there it was amazing.
It became a bit of a Saddle Creek shmooze fest by the end(post gig), with Michael Stipe thrown in for good measure, and I seem to recall accosting Todd from the Faint..

Should I be concerned that a guy paid £60 for a taxi to get me home, when I didn't even know him? Damn getting wasted at gigs. Was worth it though.

Enyaw

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #76 on: 21 Feb 2005, 09:35 »

This past friday I went to a benifit in Toronto featuring solo performances by:

Sarah Harmer
Andrew Whiteman (Apostle of Hustle, Broken Social Scene)
Gentleman Reg
Jason Collett (Broken Social Scene)
Andre Ethier (Deadly Snakes)
Bob Wiseman
Magali Meagher (The Phenomes)

So good.

Korlin

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #77 on: 21 Feb 2005, 15:35 »

Sorry, but at least the impression I got of the Pipettes was of the three girls and a wallpaper-backing band. Maybe I'm just being male...

MilkmanDan

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #78 on: 21 Feb 2005, 15:51 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
My Awesome Compilation, Spitalfield and Fall Out Boy at the Cockpit, about 4 hours ago. MAC are my sister's friends' band,...

Wow, I've totally seen My Awesome Compilation. They played at Truck last year I believe. Quite good too, though with it being Truck I was far too ruined to give you a detailed review. So basically, I'm famous.

blindsuperhero

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #79 on: 21 Feb 2005, 16:02 »

I'm always surprised by how many people have seen/know/like MAC, given that to me they're just a local band, but they are getting quite popular in certain circles these days

muffy

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #80 on: 21 Feb 2005, 16:36 »

Quote from: Korlin
Sorry, but at least the impression I got of the Pipettes was of the three girls and a wallpaper-backing band. Maybe I'm just being male...

No...I see that, and the first time I saw them I was fairly indifferent to the guys - but now my mate's joined, I get kind of protective, I'm just being silly, and I know it's only as I have a silly girl crush :O

Just been to see Hal and the Magic Numbers - Hal were just nice, if not a little bland, but the magic numbers...SOOOOOooooooo good!
Plus, they played the entirety of Fevers and Mirrors over the PA between bands, so I was happy, even if still hungover from last night's exploits in London.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #81 on: 21 Feb 2005, 20:22 »

Every town has better shows than mine.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

rhidiculous

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #82 on: 21 Feb 2005, 21:16 »

Ah Johnny C., how right you are.  Crowned King was decent though, I mean, for what we get here.  And yeah, Johnny Biggs (trombonist) = kickass.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #83 on: 21 Feb 2005, 22:24 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
I'm always surprised by how many people have seen/know/like MAC, given that to me they're just a local band, but they are getting quite popular in certain circles these days

I think they came near me, or are coming. I've heard about them somewhat.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

GoblinX

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2005, 08:13 »

The Number Tweleve Looks Like You, their EP release show.

Iompair

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #85 on: 22 Feb 2005, 08:38 »

Last 3 shows
Greenday at the start of the month - Much bouncing up and down trying not to crush little/young folk who got quiet when the band played older songs, great fun though.

Hayseed Dixie last halloween - Much drinking and great fun in a little pub called the Rosin Dubh.

Iron Maiden last christmas - Oww my neck hurts and I really shouldn't have drank so much.

fin

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #86 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:20 »

brendan benson / psychid / fve o clock heroes

five o clock heroes were good, psychid blew me away, brendan benson (who i had gone to see) kicked ass.

http://psychid.co.uk/room512/
http://psychid.co.uk/room512/mp3/room512.mp3

Spencer

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #87 on: 23 Feb 2005, 07:33 »

I saw Ani Difranco for the 8th time the day before Valentines Day. She puts on  a fun show.

Super Dave

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #88 on: 25 Feb 2005, 17:10 »

Megadeth - Doris Knight Hall -  Nov. 22 - 2005

Fucking Sweet.

siatefelici

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #89 on: 25 Feb 2005, 22:27 »

I saw Interpol for the third time on Wednesday. It was fantastic

SkinniDip

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #90 on: 25 Feb 2005, 23:16 »

Yeah, I heard Megadeth rocked pretty hard.

As for this town, we don't get anything good. If you come here it means you're just starting out your career or ending it, haha. Last 'big thing' we had was Loverboy at the bar during the week of Valentines. Other than that we have to drive five-eight hours to see anything. Even the  'punk-shows' we have are ending soon as the local band is doing very well and is going on 'tour'.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #91 on: 26 Feb 2005, 13:44 »

Count yourselves lucky- any good bands that come to DC play in the clubs that you don't want to be NEAR at night, and anywhere safe seems to play shite. Any tips if you're in the DC area?
Show i'm psyched for- Chevelle&Crossfade at 9:30 club
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #92 on: 26 Feb 2005, 14:48 »

Quote from: Enyaw
This past friday I went to a benifit in Toronto featuring solo performances by:

Sarah Harmer
Andrew Whiteman (Apostle of Hustle, Broken Social Scene)
Gentleman Reg
Jason Collett (Broken Social Scene)
Andre Ethier (Deadly Snakes)
Bob Wiseman
Magali Meagher (The Phenomes)

So good.

I WAS THERE! Wow, thats super. Also, how come no one says "tromboner" instead of trombonist?
I like the way you work it.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #93 on: 26 Feb 2005, 23:10 »

Ratatat @ Black Cat, Washington, DC.  Just got back from it.

The show was really, really fun.  The Black Cat's stage is only about three feet off the floor, and during the first song of the encore, Mike (the guitarist) motioned for folks to come up.  I don't think he realized what he was getting into, 'cause within a minute, about half the crowd was onstage, dancing.  Everyone stayed up through the encore, at which point Ratatat was overwhemled at what'd happened.  So Mike goes "E*vax!  I think we should play '17 Years' again!"   It'd already been played in the main set, so the crowd went crazy for that.  :)
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

arkturus

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #94 on: 27 Feb 2005, 13:57 »

It was actually the Arcade Fire last November...from then till now there haven't been many good shows except Modest Mouse, which I missed.

I'm planning on going to see Interpol with Q and Not U on March 11, though. And then Cryptopsy in March!!! And then Kreator, Strapping Young Lad, and Death Angel in April!!!

ASturge

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #95 on: 27 Feb 2005, 14:16 »

im going to try and see "the wayriders" next month

hopefully

madame psychosis

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #96 on: 03 Mar 2005, 07:49 »

biffy clyro @ la boule noire in paris

very loud, very awesome, very biffy, but to elaborate, these guys sound almost limp in some of their recorded stuff, but live they are really intense.  i only went to see them for sentimental reasons, i used to listen to 'blackened sky' a lot back in the day, their drummer is rather fantastic.

next show: the arcade fire, huzzah!

jal-vani

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #97 on: 03 Mar 2005, 09:23 »

Quote from: redglasscurls
Count yourselves lucky- any good bands that come to DC play in the clubs that you don't want to be NEAR at night, and anywhere safe seems to play shite. Any tips if you're in the DC area?
Show i'm psyched for- Chevelle&Crossfade at 9:30 club

dude, 9:30's good, and the Black Cat is cool, too. I live in Baltimore, and make the trip to DC pretty often for shows.

Recent:
Dresden Dolls
Melvyns
Velvet Revolver, the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Jimmy Eat World and I got to throw stuff at Good Charlotte. (HFS Nutcracker for those in the area)
Polyphonic Spree

Upcoming:
Fantomas
Firey Furnaces
Tori Amos
Garbage
Melt Banana

Possibles:
Jimmies Chicken Shack
Ravonettes & Autolux
Sparta

ozzi

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #98 on: 03 Mar 2005, 10:51 »

i missed ratatat and the faint and ted leo.

i will go see interpol this month tho. count on it.

jal-vani

The Last Show You Saw
« Reply #99 on: 03 Mar 2005, 11:02 »

i was hoping to see interpol with blonde redhead, but no luck on getting tickets to those shows. in three cities, even!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up