Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 07:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm suuuuch a giiirl  (Read 5051 times)

Vertical Stripes

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:27 »

Okay, so my impression on John Mayer is that he's the musical equivalent of a chick flick.  Listen to it when you're eating chocolate, feeling stressed and in the mood for really light, fluffy, repetitive sap.

However, sometimes I really like his guitar work.  It's just the vocals that can drive me insane because, while nice, they're ALL THE SAME.

I have Room for Squares, which is all I ever need of John Mayer, I think.  I keep reminding myself that it all sounds the same and all I need is Room for Squares.

But for some reason I really like Daughters.  And I saw his new album, Heavier Things, on sale for really cheap.

I've tried downloading a few of the new songs for a trial listen, but I'm thwarted constantly by dud files.

Has anyone listened to this album?  Is it worth the investment?  Is it any better than Room for Squares?  Does he use any new sounds at all?  Or should I just get over it and move onto better things?

trill

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:31 »

It's just like everything else Richard Marx has ever written.

Vertical Stripes

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2005, 21:35 »

Baaaah.

*buys The Killers instead*

Spencer

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:04 »

Mayer is not a studio musician. He really shines when he is playing live though. Ive got Room For Squares somewhere, and it's ok-ish. Heavier Things was pretty dreadful. But I have a few of his live shows on my computer that I pull out from time to time when Im feeling mellow.

Mnementh

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:08 »

Yup.  I thought he was just another Dave Matthews Band (who I despise) clone until I saw him live.  I swear he was channeling Stevie Ray Vaughn that night.  Honestly, he is one of the best guitarists out there today.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2005, 09:04 »

heh, seems a good tradeoff, listen to the killers cd, and see john mayer live

by the sounds of things, you dont want it the other way around (i.e. killers are the suck live)
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

kikanjuuneko

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2005, 13:03 »

First I thought you were talking about these Daughters.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2005, 13:13 »

i could really care less if he's a good guitarist or not.  i just wish he'd write some decent songs.  a female friend used to love him to death, played him all the time, tried to push him onto me.  i was all like "uhhhhhhhh, he sure can play guitar eh?".

scuzzle

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2005, 14:18 »

*high fives est*

i totally agree

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2005, 16:21 »

I kinda liked the first single off of Heavier Things but my brother owns the CD and it is indeed shite. Go for the live stuff, because at least the jazzy improv stuff is good.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

exliontamer

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:00 »

Word to the machineguncat, she should have been talking about those Daughters.

Vertical Stripes

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2005, 20:12 »

Indeed, after reviewing some ... reviews ... I decided against Heavier Things.  The Killers were sold out so I bought A Girl Called Eddy, instead.

3 toed sloth

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2005, 21:10 »

he is hot tho

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2005, 21:50 »

case in point

Vertical Stripes

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2005, 08:43 »

Yes he is >_>;;

mysceneiscooler

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2005, 21:26 »

I remember liking that very first single he had. His singing sounds sort of..sedate. I can't really get into his music otherwise. I have respect for him, he's obviously talented, just..not that interesting.

uberjon

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2005, 23:15 »

That Chappelle's Show skit made him cool in my books

Willis

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:28 »

Quote from: uberjon
That Chappelle's Show skit made him cool in my books

Ditto.  In the span of a week my opinion on him has changed somewhat.  I bought Room for Squares a couple years back and never got into it.  Way too mellow and "girlie" for me.  And like someone else mentioned I've always thought of him as Dave Matthews lite.  If I was trying to get laid I might put his CD one (girls dig him, right?)  Anyway I saw his Chappelle's Show skit and found it hilarious. Then there was an MTVu News report about how he is collaborating with Kayne West on a track and he was totally being funny and I got impressed.  I haven't seen him live..but if he is such a great guitarist I might be more into his music if he indded played some heavier things (pun totally intended).

~~Willis

eviL_poPtart

I'm suuuuch a giiirl
« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:35 »

i met him once, he is a nice sort of fellow, even if he does look like he's a cocaine addict insomniac most of the time. his songs are very la-dee-dah, but i really like a few of his more blues-y/jazzy songs on heavier things. it is no big deal to like him or hate him very much; he is just so mellow it is hard to feel great emotion about him.

john mayer, get some sleep!
Pages: [1]   Go Up