THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total Annihilation?  (Read 8645 times)

Jolouie

Total Annihilation?
« on: 16 Feb 2005, 11:59 »

Anybody remember this? Anybody still play it?

tomgadd

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:12 »

*drool*

I _loved_ that game! Still have it installed, but I got really bad. I can't even do the campaigns now =//

Plus, WoW is simply too time-consuming for silly RTS games.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2005, 04:58 »

I still play it.

With TAUCP, ofcourse.

DAmn, i thought everybody has forgotten that already. Coolness!
The best Klik and rush game there is!
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Lem

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2005, 07:01 »

I love Total Annihilation, there was something so immensely satisfying about massed Core bomber raids.  And is was the only game to date which had a counter for the superweapons (Yay anti-nuke)

I kinda wish they'd made TA 2 instead of TA : Kingdoms...

Whorhay

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2005, 08:33 »

I never had it myself though a friend played it a lot with me sitting around advising and watching. Good game.

catflea

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2005, 09:12 »

not played TA in while,  mighht have to nick it back off my lil sis now.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2005, 14:30 »

Quote from: Abattur
With TAUCP, ofcourse.

Is that the free mod that adds the giant Kbots?

I had that once, then my hard drive got wiped, and I couldn't remember what it was called.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2005, 14:44 »

That and about 250 other units.

Total Annihilation Units Compilation Pack

Go to planet annihiltaion for free stuffnessgoodness.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Baalzebub

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2005, 06:20 »

I use to play this all the time.

Wanted to replay it again, yet I've lost the first CD and i can't find a copy of it anywhere .

Hence Sadness all around.

Gdog4evr

• Not quite a lurker
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2005, 13:40 »

That game was great, me and my friends used to get into heated debates about what was better, TA or C&C.  Anyone remember the Krogoth?

Which side did you guys prefer?  I was always ARM.

Moriarty

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2005, 06:25 »

I loved TA due to the mass amount of free units you could bolt onto the game...TA vanilla was a bit crap, since nearly every unit was identical for both sides (although PeeWee and Flash rushes could massacre their equivalents!). The unit pack made the game much better when it came out.
I still have it tucked away, awaiting the day my computer is changed for one that can render 3d graphics again :\

harvest17

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2005, 17:57 »

Recently had a "play TA until dawn" LAN at a mate's place. Even 8 years on, this game still brings the awesome.

Anyone play it on a Mac?

nihilist

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:20 »

I shall have to dig this out, especially if there are good addons.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:49 »

There are hundreds of add-ons: new campaigns and units primarily, plus downloadable units and building from various sites.

I love this game. still play it often. I do have one complaint, though: the super Kbots really just turned the game into a rush to see who could build the biggest badass death machine first. Especially when the Karganeth was released.

The Karganeth, incidentally, was described as a demolitions Kbot. it could survive two successive nuclear strikes, and the only things in the game that could target it were big berthas (and their CORE counterpart) and missile silos. everything else was completely blown to shreds before it ever got in range to fire. as can be imagined, one Karganeth was more than enough to take down pretty much any enemy force.

and, of course, the lack of a unit cap in the game meant you could field as many of the fucking things as you wanted.

some of the units that were released alongside it, however, such as the "necro" resurrection Kbot - which converted the scrapped remains of fallen units back into functioning friendles, were really useful, as was it's ARM counterpart, the medic Kbot (no weapons, but a nanolathe that was just as powerful as the commander's, allowing it to heal any unit or building within seconds.)

love that game to death.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Mnementh

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2005, 10:57 »

Between that and Deus Ex I wish they had made OS X clients for it.

Gdog4evr

• Not quite a lurker
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2005, 11:43 »

Quote from: Switchblade
The Karganeth, incidentally, was described as a demolitions Kbot. it could survive two successive nuclear strikes, and the only things in the game that could target it were big berthas (and their CORE counterpart) and missile silos. everything else was completely blown to shreds before it ever got in range to fire.

Must have come out after I stopped playing, because I had never heard of it.  I agree though, over-the-top kbots kind of ruin the game, although the Karganeth might make for a good story-line level.
-----
Mission Profile: The Core has developed a new K-bot called the Karganeth, and is planning to mass produce them.  Find the prototype and the enemy base where it's housed, and destroy both.  

NOTE: The core base is heavily defended, a full frontal assault is not recomended.
-----

Also: Did Cavedog get bought out by Atari?  I mean, I'm not surprised, but I just tried finding the official site for TA and all I'm getting is the Atari page.

EDIT: Wasn't there a 500 unit cap for each side?  And normally it's 250, to get 500 you have to edit one of the files...

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Total Annihilation?
« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2005, 14:17 »

Actually, I think it was part of an unofficial expansion pack on the web. I faced some guy who used on at a LAN party one time. it was a 8 versus 8 free-for-all on this absolutely HUGE map that one of the guys had made (core prime).

I always play CORE, but I didn't know these fuckers existed until one walked straight through my base and took me out of the game.

I got my own back, though: the only reason I was taken out was because it was instant death if the commander died. Karganeths go out with a big nuclear bang, so when I D-cannoned the motherfucker, it took my commander with it. The only reason the commander got anywhere near him, though, was because of the sheer size of the force I had waiting around my base prior to an assault. he couldn't take them all out. I waltzed up, pressed "D", clicked on him and BOOOOM!!!!

The guy shot me this disgusted look.  I just thumbed my nose at him and then sat back to watch as the other players pounced on him and tore his base to shreds.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

harvest17

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2005, 15:35 »

Quote from: Mnementh
Between that and Deus Ex I wish they had made OS X clients for it.

There is a Mac version available, just for OS 9. It still runs fine on X, but turn off Hot Corners and don't have anything running in the background!

El Opium

Total Annihilation?
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2005, 20:35 »

I used to love this game. Still do actually. Pissing someone off with a huge brawler strike was much fun. As was stamping someone with three krogoths. Some of the unofficial unit packs got a bit insane but were fun to play with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up