Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 07:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mars Volta's Storybook  (Read 7980 times)

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Mars Volta's Storybook
« on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:53 »

So the storybook for De-Loused In The Comatorium is online (clicky-clicky), and...

It is fucking unreadable. No joke. I gave up on page 3 because my language makes sense, God dammit.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Rune

« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 20:12 »

I think I'm going insane.

I'm on the sixth PDF page, and while I can make some sense of it, knowing quite a bit about the album, it's still just totally mind-blowing (and not in a "this thing rocks" way)

I think I need to read it printed, or when I'm more awake.

shumacher

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2005, 20:36 »

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2005, 22:11 »

So I'm the only one who scored a C or higher in English 101? Sorry, it just really isn't that hard to read. They do need a couple of proofreadings, though.

Dalkaen

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2005, 22:27 »

Am I the only one who finds that to be incredible? I love that style of expression. :o

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2005, 22:36 »

Dude, based on that, anyone can pull out a thesaurus and instantly be a good writer.

With immense fever we handpicked the irradi excerpts from the guilty library of half-truths. A book of suspended impact. How-to manual that taught seduction through the art of suicide. Chapterless void of crass ultimatums, liberally adopting the monthly blood of human conversions. It was with the aid of this manual that set the snails into a marmoset of momentum. Each page wrapped itself around Cerpin, raping its way into his body. For it was by his hand that that we were damned to live in motion sick stills of bone colored paper. By his ink cult of prods that begot him his only children. Yet the ragman of mundy knew nothing of his next to kin. the ones he abandoned in a stationary of underwater flu. So it had begun with a blunt caress of affection from the Cerphim Neuralgia, who summoned him with a warrant towards the canvas of his face.......thus administering a morphined carriage of admission. The gates of thanos were now spread eagle wide.

Not so much that I do not understand the words used, because I do. It is just that they ramble incoherence, and really are no help in spelling out a plotline. Basically, the above paragraph translates as "We wanted him, and slowly we lured him into our world. Soon, he was almost in our control." Do not try and tell me they could not do better than what they did.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

DeathrockZombie

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2005, 11:14 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Dude, based on that, anyone can pull out a thesaurus and instantly be a good writer.

With immense fever we handpicked the irradi excerpts from the guilty library of half-truths. A book of suspended impact. How-to manual that taught seduction through the art of suicide. Chapterless void of crass ultimatums, liberally adopting the monthly blood of human conversions. It was with the aid of this manual that set the snails into a marmoset of momentum. Each page wrapped itself around Cerpin, raping its way into his body. For it was by his hand that that we were damned to live in motion sick stills of bone colored paper. By his ink cult of prods that begot him his only children. Yet the ragman of mundy knew nothing of his next to kin. the ones he abandoned in a stationary of underwater flu. So it had begun with a blunt caress of affection from the Cerphim Neuralgia, who summoned him with a warrant towards the canvas of his face.......thus administering a morphined carriage of admission. The gates of thanos were now spread eagle wide.

Not so much that I do not understand the words used, because I do. It is just that they ramble incoherence, and really are no help in spelling out a plotline. Basically, the above paragraph translates as "We wanted him, and slowly we lured him into our world. Soon, he was almost in our control." Do not try and tell me they could not do better than what they did.

This post made my day.

Vertical Stripes

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2005, 17:25 »

*brain breaks*

czar0406

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2005, 17:31 »

i miss At The Drive-In

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2005, 19:43 »

Whoo. Now we have an entire BOOK of pseudo-intellectual emo poetry!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2005, 00:44 »

I love Mars Volta, inspite of them making nada sense, and I see no reason to read it, might spoil the music...

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2005, 08:29 »

i miss at the drive-in too.

sparta are dag nasty.
mars volta are genesis.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Spencer

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2005, 08:36 »

Wait, you mean you people actually pay attention to what TMV has to say?

It's obvious these guys are just on *way* to much acid. They probably just ate a couple of sheets right after STDI broke up, and they're still riding that high. Though they do appear to be coming down *a little bit* (having heard Frances The Mute, I can say they are slighty less frentic now-a-days), but Cedric is still overly verbose and nigh-incomprehensible. Which is fine as long as his voice keeps up. I've always just thought of Cedric as another instrument in the band, paying attention not so much to the words he says, but the sounds he makes. It's beautiful, really.

And the Genesis comparison is spot on. The first time I heard TMV I thought "Genesis, Pink Floyd, and The Dead Kennedy's just had an orgy." Or something similar. You get the drift.
Pages: [1]   Go Up