THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 11:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help! Accidentally removed a partition on my HDD  (Read 7063 times)

catflea

please, help me - I accidently removed a partition from my hard drive which had all my uni work and random pictures on,   do you guys know if theres any way of getting all that data back?

I deleted two partitions,  thinking they were other ones - I have not created new partitions over them or formatted - so I have 20gb of unallocated space (which I hope I can recover my work off)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
help! Accidentally removed a partition on my HDD
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 12:54 »

at a first-glimpse, it looks like you want something like http://www.data-recovery-software.net/">r-studio or http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/">easy recovery (but hopefully you can find a shareware/freeware version) that will recover files from dead partitions.

i *think* that Partition Magic has an "undelete" function, too.  however, i am not sure if the partition would have to have been first deleted with PM in order for it to be able to be deleted.

upon further reading, it looks like there is a utility called "Disk Probe" in the Windows NT resource kit that might help out.

just a quick heads-up: if you're going to try to download a shareware or demo version of disk-util software, just be aware that most of them limit it somehow.  for example, by limiting the size of the files you can restore, or by totally disabling any actions other than checking if you *could* restore files if you had the full version.

good luck!

Whorhay

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2005, 13:08 »

There was a utility I used once called Directory Snoop from pcmagazines website. The main thing to remember is that when you download whatever make sure yo usave it somewhere other than the drive that your partitions are on. Doing such will over write the areas you want to restore and make them unretrievable except by really expensive software.

catflea

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2005, 04:05 »

Quote from: Whorhay
The main thing to remember is that when you download whatever make sure yo usave it somewhere other than the drive that your partitions are on.

you mean a physically different drive?      Thats ok then.    Shall try and find directory snoop.

Cheers guys

any more info would be appreciated too!

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2005, 04:13 »

Lesson 1: Don't do that again.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

catflea

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2005, 07:03 »

Lesson 1 - ignore anything XP instillation has to say for itself!

Still not got em back

Whorhay

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2005, 10:06 »

Yes, as in a physically seperate drive. Most anything that the system sees and shows you as one file is actually made up of lots of sections that are not all in the same place on your hard drives platter. What directory snoop will do is look for these sectors that have been marked as being ok to overwrite. And try to restore the files they make up. If you start saving anything or moving anything around on that platter odds are one or more of a files sectors will get overwritten and then becomes practically unrecoverable.

catflea

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2005, 10:53 »

I've given up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up