Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 07:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concert Etiquette  (Read 21231 times)

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2005, 15:18 »

Quote from: muffy
Seriously, there are few things more terriying than a pair of open legs sailing at high speed in your direction at a gig.

OH UH I AGREE COMPLETELY no i do not, you have my blessing if you wear a skirt

Actually, I agree with the bit about the boots, because they fucking hurt, but as far as skirts go, well, fuck if I am going to declare what other people should be wearing in the pit. I may as well just tell the band what to play, if that becomes the case.

Quote from: thehoopiestfrood
DON'T FUCKING YELL AT MOGWAI "YOU'VE GOT A MICROPHONE, SING!! IT'S NOT A SONG WITHOUT SINGING" BECAUSE IF YOU DO IT IS LEGAL FOR ME TO SET FIRE TO YOU THEN AN THERE.

To the people that did this:

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2005, 20:38 »

Crowdsurfing just ain't something I can pull off. I'm over 200 pounds of leather and spike clad flab, bone and muscle. I haven't seen the crowd that would even try to support me.

Speaking of crowd-jumping though, I've still got vivid memories of this time during an extremely small club gig when the guitarist of the band, who was, lets put it bluntly, fully playing up to the image of Stoner Metal, decided it would be a wicked idea to just jump into the front row. I ended up being the only one who even tried to catch him, and as a result he ended up having to play the rest of the song lying on the floor because he broke his strap in the fall.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Awakened
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2005, 22:13 »

KharBevNor reminded me of something: If you weigh what he does, then please do not crowdsurf because you inevitably land on a small person's spine.

EDIT: Sorry. There was no way to phrase that non-rudely, but it was not meant in a rude way.

fredhate

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #53 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:06 »

The cigarette to the eye is no picnic. Luckily in Canada, you're not allowed to smoke in many bars.

I was in Vancouver in 1997 and got a cigarette in the eye from some drunk chick who was flailing about to some lame-ass song. It fucking hurt. Bad.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #54 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:10 »

Quote from: Johnny C

EDIT: Sorry. There was no way to phrase that non-rudely, but it was not meant in a rude way.

No offence taken. If you need to refer to my weight, just call me a 'beast'.

Not lard-butt. That's mean, and somewhat unnacurate. I don't think there's a diet regime on earth bar dismemberment or chronic anorexia that could take me down below 120.

But yeah. I wouldn't even think of crowdsurfing. But I'm a gentleman.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

devils_daughter

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #55 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:15 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I don't think there's a diet regime on earth bar dismemberment or chronic anorexia that could take me down below 120.

*bangs head on table* no man should weigh that little!

blindsuperhero

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #56 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:21 »

Well I weigh 55kg which apparently is 121 pounds

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #57 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:36 »

Quote from: devils_daughter

*bangs head on table* no man should weigh that little!

I would agree with you there. But I know plenty of men that little. Many of them wear scarves, if you catch my drift.

thehoopiestfrood

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #58 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:49 »

Men that little are Rupert the Bear?

MrKneebone

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #59 on: 23 Feb 2005, 16:52 »

In Silverchair's early days,  Daniel Johns decided to stage dive.   He failed to notice that the front of the "pit" mainly consisted of teeny bopper drooling girls.    Nedless to say, I think the all just side stepped when they saw a heaping mass of Johnsy hurtling towards them.   It ended up with Daniel knocking himself out, and being taken to hospital from memory.   :)

As for my 2 cents on concert etiquette - if you're gonna surf, that's fine, but do it up the front!    I was at a concert several years ago, and was over halfway back, where you had maybe the occasional person doing the subtle feet-not-moving-upper-body-groove-along-thing, and this guy behind decided that it would be a great place to surf?  Wrong.  I copped the full weight of the guy right on my head (as if someone had thrown him "at" me from a height) quickly followed by another attempt just after.  I don't think that he noticed that the person to air ratio was just not right for surfing.  

My neck's never been the same since.  Although, when it flares up and someone asks me why my neck is stiff, I just say - yeah it's an old mosh-pit injury, and it kinda makes me sound cooler than I really am... so it's not all bad I guess    :)

kilconey

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #60 on: 23 Feb 2005, 17:02 »

i actually have yet to attend a show with crowd-surfing going on.  i have been in the presence of quite a few drunken moshers, though.  they're usually by themselves, too...one-dude moshpits.  they're really obnoxious.  especially when the music playing hardly merits hardcore moshing.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

Johnny C

• Awakened
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #61 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:10 »

Quote from: thehoopiestfrood
RUPERT THE BEAR

<3

c1utch

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #62 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:22 »

the single most anoying thing is people who bring whistles and proceed to toot along with the song, or whatever song happens to be in their head at the time (thats the worst)

If you were part of the band, you'd be on stage playing an instrument, please take the whistle and put it in your ass, because you're ruining my concert, thanks

Worst part is, its always the 300lb 23 year old kid with 7 friends and who has had 2 dozen beers.

TheCourtJester

• Larger than most fish
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #63 on: 23 Feb 2005, 21:03 »

Quote from: c1utch
the single most anoying thing is people who bring whistles and proceed to toot along with the song, or whatever song happens to be in their head at the time (thats the worst)

If you were part of the band, you'd be on stage playing an instrument, please take the whistle and put it in your ass, because you're ruining my concert, thanks

Worst part is, its always the 300lb 23 year old kid with 7 friends and who has had 2 dozen beers.

Or even worse, they'll  bring (if they've seen the SNL skit) a gawdammed COWBELL. It's funny when it's on SNL...but NOT at a concert.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

emopants

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #64 on: 23 Feb 2005, 21:37 »

Since I'm a big fat guy (6', 240lbs), and I'm pretty sturdy, I always seem to protect the girl standing right in front of me.  I don't do it to be a jerk, or to cop a feel, I just feel compelled to protect the cute/breakable ones.  Esp when the crowd starts shoving around, and crushing people.

tender pervert

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #65 on: 23 Feb 2005, 22:00 »

It sucks being short and light as I am (5'2'').  I know, I know...You're all going: "You shouldn't be in there, anyway".  Oh well.

Alright:

Leave your spiked accessories at home for fuck's sake. (I got stabbed near the eye area with a spiked belt.  It left a funky bruise above my eyebrow.)

People who take hours to make their hair all "pretty", don't go into the pit and fix your hair.  It's pointless, really.  (Especially, the "pretty boys", geez...)

People with glasses, don't cry when they fall off and someone steps on them.  You asked for it.  (I've had close calls before.  Next time I'll be sure to tape them to my head or something.)

What's with the head patting and pinching?  Just because I am small does not mean you "taller folks" can treat me like an animal.

That's all I can think of right now.

emopants

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #66 on: 23 Feb 2005, 22:09 »

Quote from: tender pervert
It sucks being short and light as I am (5'2'').  I know, I know...You're all going: "You shouldn't be in there, anyway".  Oh well.

As long as you can take care of yourself, go for it.  Just don't be suprised if you get elbowed in the head by some agressive front-pusher.

(Besides, if you're standing in front of me, I'll probably protect you ;) )

uberjon

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #67 on: 23 Feb 2005, 23:36 »

yeah take off the glasses and/or get contacts. It's happened to my brother before and no one is going to help you.

TheCourtJester

• Larger than most fish
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #68 on: 24 Feb 2005, 00:44 »

Even if you DO figure out how to secure them to your head, someone'll land an elbow in your eye and the lens will pop out. I'd much rather just leave the glasses somewhere safe than get a lens stabbed into my eye by some lanky sonnofabitch who's windmillin around.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #69 on: 24 Feb 2005, 02:14 »

Or, as I've said before, don't windmill. Assholes.

c1utch

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #70 on: 24 Feb 2005, 05:13 »

you could always get a pair of rubberized perscription basketball goggles :)

devils_daughter

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #71 on: 24 Feb 2005, 08:21 »

If you're in a pit you're going to see fuck all anyway, and as long as you can hear you don't really need to see. I've never taken my glasses to a gig so I'm pretty used to all musicians being much blurrier than the average human being.

thehoopiestfrood

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #72 on: 24 Feb 2005, 08:30 »

I've worn my glasses to every gig I've been to and I've only once been in fear of losing them. And I didn't. Then again I sleep in them too so they survive a lot. I keep meaning to get contacts for gigs but have just never got round to it. Plus I have the Daria-fear of not having some sort of barrier in between me and others.

I live in fear of being burnt by cigarettes at gigs though. Even with the smoking ban coming into force, places which already ban smoking usually don't stop people. But so far I've been lucky and only used as an ash tray. :P

fin

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #73 on: 24 Feb 2005, 13:39 »

i wore glasses to gigs for years with no problems, till T in the park last year, when they snapped during muse when a crowdsurfer kicked me in the head. i wasnt particually annoyed, i still had half of them so i could see to get on the bus and back to perth (im really blind) ...and back to my car. driving home in the dark with old(ie blurry) prescription sunglases on was fun tho. i'll still wear my glasses to gigs, although i've got a cheap spare pair now.

MrKneebone

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #74 on: 24 Feb 2005, 16:17 »

Quote from: fin
glasses ... snapped during muse when a crowdsurfer kicked me in the head.

If I was a glasses wearer, I couldn't think of a more appropriate place to get them broken, than at a Muse Concert.   :)  

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm a prude, (coz I love a drink as much as the next person) but what's with writing yourself off at concerts?   There's always a burley drunken guy who's pushing his way to the front just for the sake of it.  Hell, if you asked him who was playing, he'd probably just grunt at you, and throw a shoulder-butt your way.    If I'm at a show and want to get stuck into a few drinks,  I'm happy to enjoy the show from up the back (nothing worse than having prime position, and needing a toilet break!!)  

Why waste money on a ticket if your highlight for the night was "how toasted you were"   - if you remember at all.   I don't get it.   I reckon that those people are normally the ones responsible for the big crushes at festivals and stuff, where people get seriously hurt.

kilconey

• Larger than most fish
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #75 on: 24 Feb 2005, 18:25 »

Quote from: emopants
Since I'm a big fat guy (6', 240lbs), and I'm pretty sturdy, I always seem to protect the girl standing right in front of me.  I don't do it to be a jerk, or to cop a feel, I just feel compelled to protect the cute/breakable ones.  Esp when the crowd starts shoving around, and crushing people.

i love people like you at shows.  :)  for i am small and breakable myself.  also i have poor balance skills, so even a little shove...i'm out of it.
you=nicest guy ever.

blindsuperhero

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #76 on: 24 Feb 2005, 18:42 »

It's funny that one of the more annoying things at gigs are guys 'protecting' the girls infront of them. I don't want to sound like some kind of idiot, but if you can't take it, you shouldn't be at the front. People protecting other people disturb the natural flow of the crowd and are generally annoying for other people around them.

kilconey

• Larger than most fish
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #77 on: 24 Feb 2005, 18:53 »

even as just a buffer?  against a 2x my size drunken frat boy mosher at an indie rock show?
it's not a matter of being able to "take it" at the front.  it's not like i attend hardcore punk shows and then flail as i get out of my depth...if nobody else is doing anything violent except for one fool, then i appreciate someone who will stand between and prevent me from getting smashed.

blindsuperhero

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #78 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:01 »

What I mean is someone who will try and prevent any kind of force being exerted on the person they are protecting, basically holding back the rest of the crowd. This is at gigs where it's so packed that everyone is squashed up against everyone else, so there's no real moshing per se going on, because there's not enough room. But these guys stick their arms out into everyone else to create a little circle of space around the person they're protecting, to stop them getting squashed, and my point is, if you're at the front, you should expect to get squashed. I suppose it's okay in the situation where there is space around everyone, and just a bunch of guys going crazy when not everyone else is, which is probably what you were talking about, but not what I was

emopants

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #79 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:44 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
What I mean is someone who will try and prevent any kind of force being exerted on the person they are protecting, basically holding back the rest of the crowd. This is at gigs where it's so packed that everyone is squashed up against everyone else, so there's no real moshing per se going on, because there's not enough room. But these guys stick their arms out into everyone else to create a little circle of space around the person they're protecting, to stop them getting squashed, and my point is, if you're at the front, you should expect to get squashed. I suppose it's okay in the situation where there is space around everyone, and just a bunch of guys going crazy when not everyone else is, which is probably what you were talking about, but not what I was

That's true.  I dislike them as well.

I try to take up as little space as possible, and I mostly just try to absorb the blows before they hit the little ones. More often than not, that leads to my limping out of there.  But that doesn't mean I don't have fun. :)

Also, most of the little ones have poor balance, so I try to prevent them from falling.  And when they (or anyone I can reach do), I try to help them back up, and give them a little space to get vertical again.  But when they get back up, the extra space goes back to the crowd.

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Concert Etiquette
« Reply #80 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:56 »

Heh, the only time I've gotten into a fight at a concert was 'cause of my friend trying to help a girl.  It was a outdoor show on my uni's campus, and this small-ish girl wanted my tall friend to give her a boost to try and locate her friends in the crowd, so he did.

Enter a group of drunken teenagers—the show was free and on the green, so getting in unnoticed was pretty easy.  One of them must've figured "Hey, this girl's rear is within my reach, I'll give it a grab."  Long story short, we ended up in a fight with those assholes.  They were later arrested by the campus police, and we were called over to ID them while they were lying on the ground, handcuffed. :)
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Sarah

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #81 on: 25 Feb 2005, 05:01 »

For every single gig I've been to, crowd surfing has been banned. Maybe because up here in the North East of Scotland the issue is

a) The venue is far too small
b) There aren't enough people there!

I'm glad of that though. Crowd surfers annoy me.

Tinjessla

Concert Etiquette
« Reply #82 on: 25 Feb 2005, 05:37 »

Quote from: fin
i wore glasses to gigs for years with no problems, till T in the park last year, when they snapped during muse when a crowdsurfer kicked me in the head.

Hey, i was there too last year. I was waaay at the back, but it was still a great show they put on. When Plug In Baby came on...ace!

Quote from: rynne

One of them must've figured "Hey, this girl's rear is within my reach, I'll give it a grab."  Long story short, we ended up in a fight with those assholes.  They were later arrested by the campus police, and we were called over to ID them while they were lying on the ground, handcuffed. :)

Good job too. Being groped at gigs is never fun. Ever.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up