THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 02:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd-person action-adventure games  (Read 18041 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
3rd-person action-adventure games
« on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:09 »

so, i've played Ninja Gaiden & liked it.  i'm playing Prince of Persia: Sands of Time & am realising why there is so much hype surrounding this game.  when the price comes down i'll also be buying Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

the reason i love these games is that while you fight to get through the game, there are also puzzles and so forth to challenge the brain (a little) as well as the reflexes.  i like the acrobatic nature of the characters because it gives more options in combat & keeps fighting interesting (it's not all just PUNCH PUNCH KICK, REPEAT).

what other action-adventure games like this should i be looking at, and why?  i'd like names, links, and reasons why you think the game is awesome.  hopefully the game will be from the last couple of years, or perhaps an upcoming title.

i have a feeling that i should also be looking at new entries to the Tenchu:Stealth Assassins line of games.  anyone know about any other stuff like this?

Digs

« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:30 »

Yes, spatial movement is delicious.

I kind of thought that the fighting system in Prince of Persia was, you know, crap.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:37 »

The Legacy of Kain series is a pretty decent one.  The first two games, LoK:  Blood Omen (weird isometric 3/4 kind of view though) and LoK:  Soul Reaver were both on the first playstation.  It's more meaty on the puzzle then the action side though as they've progressed Soul Reaver 2 (on the PS2, I'm not sure of it was ported to Xbox if that is all you have) and the last one to come out, LoK: Defiance have made attempts to balance plaforming/puzzling/fighting I think.  They both deal with vampires but not quite in such as cheese filled way.  The Blood Omen games deal with the charecter Kain him self, Soul Reaver 1 and 2 with Raziel, and Defiance with both charecters.

I've heard good things about both recent Jax and Ratchet and Clank games but again don't know if you're 'Box only.

I really enjoy the Tenchu games but alot of the newer stealth oriented games have made them look quite weaker with substantialy more intilgent enemy AI.  I'm hoping that this is something they rectify in the new game as I honestly find ninja assasins five hundred times more interesting then anything that comes out of the "brain" of Clancy.  

The Punisher game was alot better done I'd imagine but I'd say it's more worth a long rental or drop in price purchase.

Digs

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:40 »

Ratchet and Clank is awesome, Bello.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2005, 17:47 »

woo! i played ninja gaiden for the first time today

got my ass kicked by the first boss first time round

used wall jumps and beat him the second try :)

man that game is ace
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2005, 22:30 »

i am also thinking maybe metal gear?

Jamoky

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2005, 22:34 »

Quote from: est

god yes, but don't expect it to be anything like PoP or NG.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2005, 00:55 »

If you like a good story, the Legacy of Kain games are excellent, just don't expect to be left with a satisfied feeling of everything being wrapped up, they really use the 'to be continued' a bit too much.

Oh, and if you prefered the platform bits to the fighting in PoP, be warned that they didn't agree with you when they made Warrior Within.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2005, 01:00 »

And if you dislike intrusive, obnoxiously metal music, they also didn't agree with you for Warrior Within.

Or if you liked the prince as an innocent guy who's just trying to correct a mistake instead of an obnoxious, self-serving asshole, they didn't agree there, either.

Devil May Cry is a fantastic game, as long as you ignore the "story". Devil May Cry 2 is also a fantastic game as long as you ignore that it actually exists.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2005, 02:16 »

Splinter Cell.

Even though i have always disliked these modern bond games.

But "Thief" kicked ass. Much ass.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Digs

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2005, 09:01 »

We love you, Looking Glass.

You might consider the Megaman Legends series, est. A little short, perhaps closer to an action rpg, but with each of the delicious elements of the third person action-adventure genre. They're some of my favourite PSX titles.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2005, 12:37 »

"Everything or Nothing" I'm thinking was the last good Bond game.

Oh, Ico!  I've heard good things about it (well, along with the bad of the girl being some sort ofmember of a new high caste of moron).  I'm suprised no one has mentioned Wanda and the Colossus but then I remember it is not out yet.  It looks as if it may be over the boundry line of awesome

I think you're little thing next to the horse

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2005, 22:31 »

Wanda and the Collossus looks amazing.

And you should buy Thief : Deadly shadows, since you liked the 3rd person part and that one actually has 3rd person view. It works out pretty damn well, too.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2005, 22:50 »

There is no maybe.

EDIT: omgosh, colossus looks amazing.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

TopolinoBoy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2005, 01:51 »

Not nearly as amazing as the new Zelda game for GC:
Sometimes, when I'm all alone, and it's dark... always late at night... and if I'm sure no one's watching....

I Google myself.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2005, 06:25 »

^ even begin a huge zelda fan im looking forward more to wanda and the colosus

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2005, 07:14 »

I have never liked Zeldas so much...

But that might be because i have never owned any Nindendos.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2005, 16:53 »

James is our king.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2005, 17:19 »

but does Wanda have funky green pajamas?

the defence rests.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2005, 22:50 »

Quote from: TopolinoBoy
Not nearly as amazing as the new Zelda game for GC

No, not nearly. About a billion times more.

I liked Wind Waker.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

TopolinoBoy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2005, 22:16 »

but does Wanda have funky green pajamas?

the defence rests.

Funky green pajamas, characters you love... I'll let the series speak for itself.  

And in WW, the real pj's were blue.  Double trouble.
Sometimes, when I'm all alone, and it's dark... always late at night... and if I'm sure no one's watching....

I Google myself.

airon

« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2005, 17:13 »

Resident Evil 4 is the awesomest gamecube game ever (along w/ Paper Mario and Donkey Konga). I haven't beat it yet but it is like Chuck Norris, Bruce Willis, and Ron Perlman all walked into Capcom and started beating up everyone until they fixed the goddamn camera and took out all the stupid puzzles and made Resident Evil focus more on ass kicking. If only they would have beaten the crap out of them for letting Paul W.S. Anderson direct the RE movie and write Apocalypse.

another good 3rd person game is Metal Arms. You play as a little robot and you beat the crap out of everything. It's very hard though do don't feel bad for dying alot.

airon

« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:30 »

That is basically what happened though, except without all the action movie actors and gratuitous beatings. Hiroyuki Kobayashi felt that the RE games were being recycled and doing the same thing over and over again. So, he talked to the director and they decided on some changes. Although, I liked my version better.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2005, 09:52 »

Est - give Beyond Good and Evil a shot too, it was a hugely underappreciated game with a crapload of mechanics and nicely done puzzles... the final boss is both a pleasure and a bastard to fight.  I just finished it yesterday and oh man, there are some sweet scenes and set pieces in it.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2005, 13:27 »

Quote from: James

All we know of the new Zelda is that it's Zelda with new graphics (and much as I love the series, I think that's pretty much what we can expect).

For a series called the Legend of Zelda you sure get to play as Zelda way too much.

Jiperly

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2005, 20:13 »

To a lesser degree, Splinter Cell is like those games.....Mind you, you can't always just kill the enemies, and its harder than a motherfucker- but still...

Empty Friend

« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2005, 02:12 »

Jak And Daxter was fun as hell.  I haven't had the time, or the console at my disposal for that matter, to play the sequels but I heard they're a bit darker.  Kinda seem sunfortunate, I liked the atmosphere of the first one a lot.  The music is catchy and fitting in most of the areas too.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2005, 05:41 »

I really liked Rachet and Clank, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid (1 & 2), and Mario 64. Come on people, how can you forget the Mario?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Nowhere Man

« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2005, 15:55 »

Quote from: Empty Friend
Jak And Daxter was fun as hell.  I haven't had the time, or the console at my disposal for that matter, to play the sequels but I heard they're a bit darker.  Kinda seem sunfortunate, I liked the atmosphere of the first one a lot.  The music is catchy and fitting in most of the areas too.

Jak 2 is actually really good, the third one not so much.  still good, but a disappointment after the first two.   Ratchet and Clank however, just keep getting better.

MFD

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2005, 16:48 »

We know a bit more about the new Zelda than the realistic graphics.

We know that Link will be engaging in mounted combat.

We know that it will use the same combat engine as Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time.  They've been tweaking it in each game.  Why go with a new combat engine if you already use a very good one?

That said, if I owned something other than a Cube, I would totally get Collossus.  It looks wonderful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up