THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 12:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo should...  (Read 9990 times)

blooflame

Nintendo should...
« on: 18 Feb 2005, 19:43 »

1. Recognize the nostalgia for old games - in my case from Atari home computers - and do some serious buying of old game code to port to cartridges... Star Raiders & Star Raiders II are perfect for GBA or DS

AND/OR

2. Officially support  a cartridge that accepted flash memory, and release a developer kit to let people program their own games and/or applications

3. Keep on with their focus on (mostly) younger folks' games on the Gamecube. Some of us prefer Mario Kart to Halo of Doom 9.

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
Nintendo should...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2005, 21:16 »

blooflame Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Nintendo should...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Recognize the nostalgia for old games - in my case from Atari home computers - and do some serious buying of old game code to port to cartridges... Star Raiders & Star Raiders II are perfect for GBA or DS

AND/OR

2. Officially support a cartridge that accepted flash memory, and release a developer kit to let people program their own games and/or applications

3. Keep on with their focus on (mostly) younger folks' games on the Gamecube. Some of us prefer Mario Kart to Halo of Doom 9.

1. Nintendo HAS recognized the nostalgia for old games- it's called the NES Classic Series I think.

2. Having Flash carts would be nice, but it would lead to massive pirating of the gameboy advance games.

3. They dont have a focus on 'kiddie' games for the Gamecube. Plenty of adult games (Resident Evil 4 anyone?), just because it doesn't have a GTA game doesn't make it a system for younger folks'.
Saying sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Nintendo should...
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2005, 04:57 »

It is mainly thought as a "kiddy console" because it is mainly marketed towards young folks.

Bu i still believe that it is maybe the best console there is.
After dreamcast that is ;-)
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Nintendo should...
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2005, 12:02 »

WOULD DEFINITELY BUY AGAIN
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo should...
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2005, 13:59 »

The best console there is is the SNES.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Nintendo should...
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2005, 15:39 »

I like the Classic NES series, it allows me to play the NES games that I can't find. But my dog ate my Castlevania cartridge yesterday. I wheep...
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Nintendo should...
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2005, 16:33 »

Your dog did WHAT?

I would gut the mutt for that.

And while at it get miself nice pair of gloves.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Nintendo should...
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2005, 22:52 »

4) Develop nuclear weapons.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

blooflame

I didn't mean that the GameCube was a kid's console, but ...
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2005, 20:06 »

I meant that Nintendo itself created a lot of games rated for kids - which is a good thing, in my opinion.

Green Goblin

Nintendo should...
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2005, 21:31 »

Nitendo makes games that are rated "E"

"E" is not "for kids".

"ec" is "for kids"

"E" is EVERYONE

get it right  
they're like the Disney of the gaming universe and you know a person's a dumbass if they dismiss Aladdin or Lion King of A Goofy Movie because it's rated G  ;)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Nintendo should...
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2005, 22:15 »

You deserve hi-fives.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Vertical Stripes

Nintendo should...
« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2005, 07:13 »

Quote from: Abattur
It is mainly thought as a "kiddy console" because it is mainly marketed towards young folks.

Bu i still believe that it is maybe the best console there is.
After dreamcast that is ;-)

When I used to work at EB, I would sell it as the best console for kids, yes, but I wouldn't market it as a "kiddy console"

I just told people the truth.  If they already had a good DVD player, didn't want another one, and were just looking to have some fun in their spare time, Nintendo was the way to go.  

1)  It's durable as hell.  Someone stole the other piece from a Wavebird once, making the controller itself absolutely useless.  To vent some stress, a girl I worked with was allowed to go into the back and beat it up a little.  She said she had to chuck it with all her might for at least five minutes before something came loose inside and she got the satisfying jingle of broken equipment.

2)  Second-best graphics capability.  Sony got sloppy with a lot of their hardware and Nintendo didn't.  While X-box still has the most power and graphics that can blow you out of the water, Sony is still running in last place.

3) Fun games.  Sure, it doesn't have Sony's selection (of infinite crap RPG's, shooters, and stupid stealth games) but it does have a very fine selection of quality games.  The gamecube section is neither overwhelming nor daunting, and it's easy to find what you're looking for.  Also,  it has a choice selection of both adult AND "Everyone" games, so everyone in the family can use it.

And exactly what Green Goblin said.  "E" means "everyone", otherwise there would be no kids who found Mario Sunshine "too tough"/"stupid" and no adults who found Mario Sunshine "really fun."

Which reminds me of the time a woman came in demanding a refund because we sold her Mario Party 4 and it was "so stupid and pointless" and "how could anyone enjoy playing such a retarded game?"

Anyone who knows games will note that this is the attitude of someone who has encountered something that's too hard for them and got frustrated.  

My inner monologue said "Geez, lady, I don't think ANYONE in the WORLD hates Mario Party.  Satan would be proud."

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Nintendo should...
« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2005, 12:52 »

GameCube, I like. Nintendo does put out some childish games, but they are fun as all hell. In fact, if it weren't for RPGs, I would have no desire to own a Playstation 2. DAMN MY WEAKNESS! Final Fantasy VII is just so fun!
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

MFD

Nintendo should...
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2005, 17:56 »

My brother hates Mario Party.  Doesn't understand how addicting those mini-games are.

Nintendo all my life.  I seriously grew up on it, back when games kicked your ass and had you coming back for seconds.

SilentJames

Nintendo should...
« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2005, 06:01 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
The best console there is is the SNES.

For truth

Willis

Nintendo should...
« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2005, 20:32 »

Quote from: MFD
Nintendo all my life.  I seriously grew up on it, back when games kicked your ass and had you coming back for seconds.

I'll raise a glass to that!
Back in the day I owned the original NES, moved onto a Genesis (remember when that was the system to have?), and then lost interest.  I just can't play the games today.  Too many buttons and there is just too much happening in the games.  I liked the games from the simpler times.  One thing that amazes me is the lack of creativity of the games.  Yes the graphics can kick ass, but the came concepts haven't changed.  I was thinking about this the other day -- the fact that if you play Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy to anyone in my age range the immediately picture falling blocks and where to place them.  It's true.  Tetris is one of the most simple, innovative, and yet enduring and creative games ever!  That is a game that will never get old.  I'm sure even when I'm old and crotchety I'll be in the old-folks home talking about walking into the waterfall and the cheat code for Contra (if I remember correctly).

~~Willis

Mnementh

Nintendo should...
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2005, 21:35 »

which code?

Infinite lives: up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, select, start at the jungle demo screen

konomi code: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Start

I have a QC and an N64.  I don't play them that much, but they are fun.  My last console before those two was an Atari.  It was actually my father.  The first year my parents were married (1981) it was his birthday gift.  Apparently I came out of the womb already knowing how to play Space Invaders.

Apathy

Nintendo should...
« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2005, 11:24 »

I'll say one thing about Nintendo - I bet they're basking in the sweet taste of victory, knowing the mascot of their long-time rivals Sega had to reincarnate himself on their consoles in order to survive.  That was something I used to argue about as a kid at primary school - Whether we'd ever see Sonic on a Nintendo machine.  I lost.

Willis

Nintendo should...
« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2005, 15:00 »

Quote from: Mnementh
which code?

Infinite lives: up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, select, start at the jungle demo screen

Yeah thats the one.  Funny I don't ever recall playing the game, but I knew the code in case I ever did.  I still have my old NES console...I should try to resurrect it.  

~~Willis

nihilist

Nintendo should...
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2005, 09:18 »

I picked up this DVD packed full of emulators and games, all that run on my Xbox.  So, I just HAD to fire up Mario 2, and own the fuck out of that.  Chortled like mad at Luigi's little legs.  Also realized just how fucking hard that game is.  Back when I was eight and playing it, I had NO problem making it do what I wanted to.  But in the intervening (horribly many) years, I got addicted to RPGs, RTSs and FPSs.  So, my ability to control a little dude/dudette and make them do what I want to just went out the window.  Took me a few hours to pick up some skills again.  Lots of fun, that stuff.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Nintendo should...
« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar 2005, 09:36 »

Seriously, I can't believe I have forgot at how much throwing vegetables can be that fun.

Freezey

Nintendo should...
« Reply #21 on: 01 Mar 2005, 15:59 »

I used to watch my dad play Super Mario Bros all the time when I was three years old. Picked up a controller at 4 and uh, haven't looked back.

Nintendo has a knack for creating quality games quite consistantly-it seems like for every not-so-great game they make, theres another two that are excellent.

Damnit, now I'm wishing I had my Gamecube here, rather than at my dads. oh well.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo should...
« Reply #22 on: 01 Mar 2005, 22:05 »

Quote from: Willis
Quote from: MFD

I'll raise a glass to that!
Back in the day I owned the original NES, moved onto a Genesis (remember when that was the system to have?), and then lost interest.  I just can't play the games today.  Too many buttons and there is just too much happening in the games.  I liked the games from the simpler times.  One thing that amazes me is the lack of creativity of the games.  Yes the graphics can kick ass, but the came concepts haven't changed.  I was thinking about this the other day -- the fact that if you play Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy to anyone in my age range the immediately picture falling blocks and where to place them.  It's true.  Tetris is one of the most simple, innovative, and yet enduring and creative games ever!  That is a game that will never get old.  I'm sure even when I'm old and crotchety I'll be in the old-folks home talking about walking into the waterfall and the cheat code for Contra (if I remember correctly).

~~Willis

You haven't seen the right games for the current generation, obviously.

Katamari Damacy.

The only way I can describe it is "The purest essence of video games, wrapped in a cheerful, manic, insanely Japanese shell."

You only use the two analog sticks to control it and it's pure bliss.

I find myself singing the opening theme constantly too. Best damn video game music ever.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up