THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 00:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what RAMs in my computer?  (Read 6915 times)

catflea

what RAMs in my computer?
« on: 22 Feb 2005, 10:55 »

I'm looking to stick more RAM into my PC and was wondering if any of you guys could help me with what type I need?

I bought the system just after XMAS
I've an AMD 64+3000 which has 4 ram slots on the motherboard,  three are yellow in colour and one (taken) is blue.

I'm ok at building computers but RAM has always confused the shite outa me.  Any ideas guys?

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2005, 13:18 »

It is most likely that you have PC3200 184-pin DDR RAM.  Might be faster, though.

However, the best thing to do would be to pull out the sticks that are in there and get manufacturer/brand info, and get the same kind.  DDR RAM has other variables (CAS level, latch timing, etc) that should be matched with the existing memory for maximum stability.
UNF.

c1utch

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:11 »

yes, it is probabally  PC 3200 DDR RAM, it should say on a small label on the side of each stick. It is possible (not likely, but possible if it was a lower-end system) that you have PC 2700 speed.

to run DDR, i strongly strongly reccomend the exact same type of memory, buy the same stuff you've got in there.  Brand, model etc.  Even that way there can be problems, which is why when you buy the stuff there are options to have them tested for compatibility

Now, how much RAM do you currently have?

Oh, and do a google search for SiSoft Sandra, it will tell you everything you need to know about anything your computer hardware-wise.

czar0406

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:14 »

??

c1utch

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:18 »

czar0406

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:21 »

OOOOOOOOOH.  OK.

catflea

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2005, 09:51 »

Quote from: c1utch

Now, how much RAM do you currently have?

I don't think theres a sticker on there.  I shall check next time I have it open.

cliffkik

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2005, 10:13 »

What motherboard?

c1utch

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2005, 14:38 »

to run DDR you will need another 128mb stick

however, this I fear will not be even enough.  The best thing for you to do may be to go out and get a paired set of 256mb or a stick of 512 even.

catflea

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2005, 06:40 »

I've just committed the cardinal sin.  I rang tech support.    Apparently I need PC 3200

c1utch

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2005, 11:27 »

yea, as we suspected.  So, shop around.  Outpost.com usually has some great deals on RAM, but your local best buy also has what you need ... for a price

nihilist

« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar 2005, 09:34 »

Hrm.

Few things:  DDR doesn't require more than one stick of RAM.  The RAM itself is DDR.  DDR mean dual data rate, that it can be accessed twice per CPU cycle instead of once, a-la SDR (single data rate).  What I think was meant was dual channel, the ability to access more than one bank of memory at a time.  In that case, yes, you need to have two sticks of RAM populated at a time.

Most AMD 64 CPUs use PC3200/DDR 400 memory.  (Both mean the same thing.)  Four slots means two dual-channel banks.  You'll probably want to buy a kit (matched pieces of RAM).  Cheaper RAM has slower memory timings; think 1-4% gain by getting better memory timings.  Better memory timings carry a hefty premium.

You'll want AT LEAST 512MB RAM, if not 1GB.  Better to get two 512MB sticks as a kit, for about $300 (CDN).  Try to get OCZ or Corsair, those are two very decent brands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up