Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 07:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bink 182...music has died!  (Read 15330 times)

Apathy

Bink 182...music has died!
« Reply #50 on: 26 Feb 2005, 11:53 »

Quote from: Conatonc
juvenility

That's the one word I've been searching for all this time to finally be able to sum up in general, a great large bulk of music from this genre.  Not that it's always a bad thing, but hey.  'Juvenile'..  I like it.  It works.

Cpt.Fantastic

« Reply #51 on: 27 Feb 2005, 10:25 »

Woah, I'm probably going to get crucified for say this, buuuuut....

TRANSPLANTS!!

Finding Emo

« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2005, 10:28 »

Quote from: mysceneiscooler
Quote from: Finding Emo
CREED BROKE UP?!

Did I say broke up? Sorry, I meant to say they decided to stay together forever. Didn't mean to worry you. ^_____^

The world is fine once again.

daviesmatt

« Reply #53 on: 27 Feb 2005, 15:22 »

Now all I need is all the for all the other shitty "punk" bands to try out-do them.

Sum 41 kill themselves; Simple Plan get killed by rabid sheep; Avril Lavgine to go berserk in one of her concerts and waste hundreds of her brain-dead, tie-wearing fans with a machine gun, then shoot herself in the head.

Or something.

/Has 2 sisters who love Avril. There's nothing quite like being woken up to "Heee WAS A SKATER BOOY!" at 10am, with a hangover.

Willis

« Reply #54 on: 27 Feb 2005, 17:36 »

Quote from: kilconey
enema of the state was THE album of my 8th grade year in school.  so there.

but they're old now, relatively speaking.  all bands should stop when they get old.

cough greenday cough?  don't these things always happen in threes?

I remember that album being around when I was a junior....in college.  Does that make me a geezer here?  Anyway I really don't care that Blink-182 is on indefinite hiatus (hey Phish tried that once, came back and officially broke up shortly thereafter).  Yeah it was always fun to get drunk and singalong to them (ahh the joys of being in a fraternity), but them not being around isn't making my life any better or any worse.

Now to age myself further I'll broach the topic of Green Day.  They are a different beast altogether my friend.  I remember that album...Dookie was THE album of my freshman/sophomore year in high school.  It still stands up the test of time.  They were big and slowly slid into oblivion until this past year, releasing an album that will define their career.  Green Day mixes equal parts punk snarl with an objectiveness pop sound that results in a sophisticated sound that all "punk-pop" bands of the day can only hope to approach.

~~Willis

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: 28 Feb 2005, 11:40 »

What a profound pity that they're mediocre, banal and almost unbelievably overplayed.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Apathy

« Reply #56 on: 28 Feb 2005, 13:13 »

Now now Khar, just because they don't write songs called "Twilight Moons, Shalt Break Thee"!  Hehe, I'm kidding mate.  I love you :)

I think the 'are Greenday good?' debate is one that will probably go on forever, which, if you think about it, can only ultimately mean that they were/are, simply because they've been worthy of such.

It's obvious that 'Day don't really put a lot technically into their songs, i.e you'll hear no Slayer-esque solos from Billy Joe, but the bottom line is that they're semi-bearable when compared to most 'punk pop' bands out there, and I'm of the opinion that music doesn't have to be technically astonishing to be classed as 'good'.  Having said that, I can't help but agree with Khar when he states that they are rather mediocre.

Stefu

« Reply #57 on: 28 Feb 2005, 13:17 »

Everyone knows what this means, though, right?

KORN/BLINK-182 SUPERGROUP

and possibly slash fanfic

Kai

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #58 on: 28 Feb 2005, 14:41 »

If they do make a SUPERGROUP, They should call it Blinking in the Kornfields for the 182nd time.

that or just die of cancer.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Conatonc

« Reply #59 on: 28 Feb 2005, 15:36 »

Billy Joe is a fantastic songwriter and the fact that Green Day was doing it first, and still do it better, than the current crop of 2nd and 3rd generation mainstream pop-punk bands is a testament to that. It's easy to lump Green Day in with Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, et. al., but it's a fallacy. Just like putting Pearl Jam in the same company as Nickelback, Creed, and 3 Doors Down is very, very wrong.

P.S.- Save your "There were tons of awesome punk bands before Green Day" posts, please. Of course there were. Just like there were a ton of great 70's rock bands before Pearl Jam. That's not the point.

m4cphisto

« Reply #60 on: 28 Feb 2005, 17:15 »

Quote from: mee-kay-la
...is that... is that.... hallelujah choruses I hear?

clears throat

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

yes, yes it is.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #61 on: 28 Feb 2005, 17:22 »

Quote from: Conatonc
Green Day was doing it first

P.S.- Save your "There were tons of awesome punk bands before Green Day" posts, please.

Right-o.

Ever heard of the Buzzcocks? :)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: 28 Feb 2005, 17:52 »

The thing is though, praising Greenday for being the first pop-punk band is like praising Stalin for getting into the brutal 20th century dictator game before everyone else.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

youarenothere

« Reply #63 on: 03 Mar 2005, 11:51 »

I used to be obsessed with KoRn, when I heard about Head finding Christ and leaving the band last week, I laughed. I don't like KoRn. They were alright when I was an angsty teen, but their music has only gotten worse and worse. Especially their last 2 albums.

What garbage.

mAlice aforeThought

« Reply #64 on: 03 Mar 2005, 11:52 »

was he behind the couch, or in the kitchen?

Argonath

« Reply #65 on: 03 Mar 2005, 12:54 »

Just about the only good thing about blink was Travis awesoime drummer and  the only thing that made them worth seeing live ...... if you havnt been hit by 3 broken drum sticks in one song your standing too far away :P

Wildonnie

« Reply #66 on: 03 Mar 2005, 14:23 »

Yeah, Blink was something to listen to before I actually got off my ass and looked for music other than what's on the top 20.  Still, there were some good times.  At least one Blink 182 song made it onto the CD changer per college party, and it just blended into the background, so it wasn't too bad.  But, it was adolescent music for guys not yet in the throes of puberty.  Good thing they stopped before they crashed and burned completely (they were close, though).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up