Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 06:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music/Mix Tape-aiding software  (Read 2352 times)

Korlin

Music/Mix Tape-aiding software
« on: 23 Feb 2005, 18:22 »

Hi there folks

Thought I'd take advantage to pick your brains, seeing as we have this whole reservoir of knowledge at our collective disposal. Basically, I'm making a mix tape for my best friend for her birthday. I've got the track list sorted, a mix of the familiar and new but generally hopeful as she's not been too great lately.

What I'm after is some (free) software or multiples thereof that can do the following:

- record voice/mic input into mp3 files
- easily edit mp3 files, possibly with some simple effects or something
- and well, that's it!

I'm planning on either recording little messages between/on the ends of tracks or doing a second 'message' cd (she's currently in the US for four more months). So therefore I was going to record my voice, cut it up as appropriate and tack it onto existing mp3s, then maybe fade it into the next song all smooth-like.

Does that sound plausible?

Any further ideas, hints or tips?

This is the first time I've been intensive about a mix cd, planning as I am to handcraft the cover and stuff using magazine cuttings. Fingers crossed this works!

Thanks for the help folks!

Kai

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 18:30 »

I use ACID and I use soundforge for all my mp3 editing needs, although ACID is kinda expensive.

Unless you pirate it like me.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

mAlice aforeThought

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2005, 20:03 »

audacity.sourceforge.net
for all your recording/editing needs.

for conversion from wav to mp3, and also for ripping direct from CD, get dBpowerAMP.  i can't remember the website, but it's a well-known program, so googling it should be no problem.

El Opium

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2005, 11:38 »

If yr talking old skool and making mixes on cassette tapes many cassette players let you dub voice directly on to em useing a microphone, even over already recorded music. My uncle did it on a tape he made for me when I was small. Just a little nostalgia trip.

Rune

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2005, 20:12 »

I'm going to second Audacity for a free program; CoolEdit is one I've used that's also good but costs some money. (Though I'm not its biggest fan, I just find it works a bit better than Audacity.) With Audacity, I've been having troubles in the Windows version with recording and playing at the same time -- it slows or speeds playback just slightly (not noticeably) but enough that when I play the two recordings (guitar and mic, we'll say) over each other they become about half a second to a second off by the end. I'm going to try the Linux version soon once I have a bit of time; my shared partition for win-lin data isn't working right now.

Super Dave

I suggest
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2005, 14:35 »

I've used Cool Edit Pro 2 for all of my recording stuff, and I really like it, especially because it can run on older cpu's
Pages: [1]   Go Up