THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 05:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a good p2p program without spyware.  (Read 9795 times)

Empty Friend

I need a good p2p program without spyware.
« on: 26 Feb 2005, 00:16 »

The title says it all... what's good?  I've been trying to download a buncha the songs from the recommended listening section, and already ended up buying The Postal Service album and Mogwai's young team as a result.  But Bearshare blows and I want something better.

I realize "try before you buy" is not technically legal, but if the industry charges so goddamn much for albums I think it's fair to hear it all first. =P

Jiperly

« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2005, 00:52 »

I don't think we're allowed to discuss P2P or illegal downloading programs on phpBB fourms.....but that might just be me...

Empty Friend

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2005, 02:03 »

the programs aren't  illegal in and of themselves.  And I did check the rules before posting so as not to step on any toes and didn't see anything mentioning it... plus Marten has talked about downloading old albums (Failure) that to the best of my knowledge aren't available on itunes... but that may have changed since Ken Andrews is good about updating his stuff.

Anyway, Jeph or est, if you happen to be reading this and aren't thrilled just kill the thread and let me know, I don't wanna step on toes as I said.=)  And I do appreciate the recommended listening (most of what I've been able to find so far anyway.)

ASturge

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2005, 05:00 »

*cough* www.limewire.com *cough*

wha?!?!??! no,....look, a monkey playing the sitarr!!!!!!

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2005, 10:49 »

I'm not sure what my legal liability is for this sort of thing, but I have a tough time believing that it's illegal to discuss filesharing technology on an internet message board.

But anyway, just for the record:

I, JEPH JACQUES, PROPRIETOR OF THIS WEBSITE, DO NOT CONDONE OR ADVOCATE THE USE OF ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES, SOFTWARE, SOFT DRINKS, SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM, OR GIANT SQUID.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

czar0406

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2005, 11:18 »

...uh oh

c1utch

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2005, 11:24 »

well, I myself use BitTorrent for all of my "linux" needs.  There are plenty of sites that will point you to bittorrent files, google can point you to some.

I used to use p2p, but too many files were crap, and so was my download rates. I myself used kazaa k++ revolution

I've gotten 700kbps down on BitTorrent, just for refrence

Jiperly

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2005, 13:48 »

Hmmmm.....i remember the default settings for phpBB boards saying that its a no-no, but after looking at other fourms....

Please note that phpBB Group has absolutely no control and cannot in any way be held liable over how, where or by whom this board is used. It is absolutely pointless contacting phpBB Group in relation to any legal (cease and desist, liable, defamatory comment, etc.) matter not directly related to the phpbb.com website or the discrete software of phpBB itself. If you do email phpBB Group about any third party use of this software then you should expect a terse response or no response at all.

So use Shareaza.

Empty Friend

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2005, 17:36 »

Sweet, thanks all, Limewire seems to be working alright.  I'll give shareaza a try and go from there.

Jeph should probably put Fantastic Planet by Failure under recommended listening too.

Deformagraphy

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2005, 18:12 »

Quote from: Empty Friend

Jeph should probably put Fantastic Planet by Failure under recommended listening too.

Quoted for extreme truth.

Soulseek has done me well.

purplefistmixer

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2005, 15:14 »

Limewire is good but it does install spyware. Not as severe as it used to, but there is spyware. Had to run my spyware remover about 6 times before it was all gone. Course that might be a problem with my spyware remover sucking.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2005, 15:38 »

It's all about Soulseek these days. For music, at least.

Whorhay

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2005, 10:19 »

I used Direct Connect ++ for a long while but about six months ago or so I switched to Bit Torrent files using Azerus as my client. Bit torrent is a lot faster for me though the selection is much skimpier. I use several sites that I check daily for new torrent files in my areas of interest though and have been happy with the results.

Digs

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2005, 10:57 »

I was using DC++ for a while, but WinMX is probably the safest I've had experience with. It's also a wet noodle, most of the time.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 01 Mar 2005, 06:02 »

I use mainly bittorrent for all of my *cough* try before you buy needs.

Here's what you need,

Azureus

Read this to set it up properly: http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/PortForwarding

Then your source for torrents is here: http://www.mininova.org
If you can't find something there....
look here: http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8690

P.S. Before someone stabs me for stealing music... I only download stuff that I can't find to buy. Its hard when you live in Perth :(

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2005, 07:14 »

I use Kazaa. They have a pretty extensive legal policy, and I certainly haven'ts seen much (if any) copyrighted material being bandied around on there, although that may largely because I haven't gone looking for any.

As I understand it, the law is this - the file-sharing software is perfectly legal. If you use it for illegal purposes (the distribution of copyrighted material without licence, for example, or the downloading thereof) then it is YOU who are liable for any punishment.

Basically, it's legal so long as you do nothing illegal, see?

Downloading copyrighted material such as commercially available music = piracy and copyright theft, and so it is illegal.

To summarize - you can put up your own music for other people to listen to, and you're free to download original works by other users, and any material that is already freely available on the internet is also fair game. But anything you have to pay for is a no-go area without payment.

If you really want to "try before you buy" with music, or just want to get a better deal, might I suggest either Napster or iTunes? That way, you know that everything you get is legally solid and you're not risking a trip down the local cop shop with your PC in tow.

better yet, many record stores (chains such as MVC in particular) will have headphones and players set up in-store that will allow you to listen to the music for free and decide then wether or not you want to buy it. I availed myself of that particular feature yesterday, in fact.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

nihilist

« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2005, 09:40 »

Azureus!  Awesome BitTorrent app.
Otherwise, eMule.  Mmm, donkey.

And if eXeem fixes their busted ass network so that it might actually be used, perhaps that.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #17 on: 01 Mar 2005, 10:57 »

Bittorrent is teh win.
However, I have to admit that it isn't the best for sampling. You can't get individual (legal) songs very easily. People always upload entire (legal) albums, not single (legal) tracks. You can then select to download just single (legal) tracks, but it's slightly more hassle. It's still the best by far. Legal.
Oh, it's so legal.
Mmmmmm legal.

Unless you want to get your paranoia on and use ANts. It hides your IP from the world and encrypts everything you send/recieve. It's also slow as hell and has hardly any files. But just think of the anonymity! The legal anonymity, mind.

Jiperly

« Reply #18 on: 01 Mar 2005, 11:26 »

Quote from: Switchblade
I use Kazaa..

He asked from Spywareless P2P- Kaaza is crawling with them.

daviesmatt

« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2005, 17:35 »

Soulseek.. always worked fine for me.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar 2005, 23:36 »

Milkman: True, I have cable and way too much hd space so I generally download complete albums for a sample anyway, heh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up