THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Influences and such and such...  (Read 4022 times)

Kyoku

Influences and such and such...
« on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:16 »

Judging by the name of the sections of this forum, this is the place where comics and art and stuff are the topic that reign supreme. So, I figure it's only normal to start a thread on the folks that inspired us. From webcomickers like Jeph to doodlers like myself, someone gave us the idea that starting to draw was a good thing.

Where did it begin for you? Who (or what) inspired you to wield that pen? Old schoolers like Robert crumb and Chuck Jones? Mabye the daily boys like Berke Breathed and Charles Schultz? Enlighten us.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:23 »

Sonic the hedgehog..

It's true, I've been drawing since I got a Sonic the Hedgehog book in my second year of school, I'd make crappy comic strips about sonic, then I moved on to crappy super hero comics, I wish I'd kept some now.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but I've basically wanted to draw cartoons since I was 5. (And I'm still not that good :D)

Kyoku

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:30 »

This is the kind of situation where there is no right/wrong answer, but it is curious way to debut.

I blame anime in general, but I also blame a forementioned Robert Crumb, the crazy bastard...He's great. All the old superhero/Looney Tunes cartoons that I ingested like air as a kid are also to blame. Chuck Jones and Tex Avery especially.

I could come out and say that both Pablo Picasso and Vincent van Gogh have aided.

Webcomickers are heavy influences, and I'm not kissing any ass when I say that Jeph is one of them. Fred Gallagher and Ian MacConville were the first two guys whose style I tried to imitate.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:36 »

I guess my current style is influenced by the likes of Penny Arcade, Family Guy, and South Park.  Which I guess is also the reason my comics have a certain childish humour to them.

Kyoku

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:39 »

If your avatar is a product of your own hand, it is very Familt Guy-ish.

Mine is just some computer-gened thingy.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:41 »

Yeah it is.  My problem at the moment is that I need to draw a fat guy and he keeps turning into Peter Griffin's long lost hairy brother.

purplefistmixer

« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2005, 14:32 »

I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. When I was way smaller I drew simpsons-esque stuff. I think I might have started drawing 'properly' when I discovered anime. (although some people may argue that anime isn't proper anyway) Couldn't pin it down on any one event, though.

Tinjessla

« Reply #7 on: 01 Mar 2005, 14:46 »

I cant really remember what inspired me to draw as a kid but when i hit my teens, anime (suprise, suprise!) made me persue drawing more. In general, my influences are kind of everywhere. But mainly comic book artists like Jamie Smart, Jim Mahfood and Jamie Hewlett inspire me. Work from Paula Rego, Robert Raushcenberg and a lot of art nouveau artists like Alphonse Mucha influence me too. Maaan, i really miss studying artists. :(

Oh, and currently, reading anything from Flight makes me want to pick up a pencil and draw like a mofo.

torg

« Reply #8 on: 02 Mar 2005, 01:37 »

Webcomics definately. I just started drawing recently after I purchased a Wacom tablet. Up to now I only finished one pic (which can be seen in the "I need some comments" thread) and have three more in the works...
Damn, drawing is so addictive...
Pages: [1]   Go Up