Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2022, 06:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Vinyl  (Read 2649 times)

Korlin

New to Vinyl
« on: 27 Feb 2005, 12:26 »

So yeah, I've started buying Vinyl. Just singles and the odd rarity/good deal (like the Modest Mouse stuff I picked up from 96/97 for a couple of quid)

Was just wondering though, what speed do most records released now play at? I've only bought 5 vinyl so far, but obviously I'm gonna need a record player. Two of them say 45rpm but the rest don't say anything.

Any clues from more experienced users?

blindsuperhero

New to Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2005, 13:06 »

12" LPs: 33 1/3 r.p.m.
7" singles: 45 r.p.m.
Some 7" EPs: 33 1/3 r.p.m.
Some 12" singles: 45 r.p.m.

Old old old records: 78 r.p.m.

They should all have the speed on the label, though.

MrKneebone

New to Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2005, 19:04 »

All record players released in the last 20-30 years will play 33.1/3 and 45rpm.    If you want to play 78rpm records (ie really really old - ~pre 60's type stuff) you may need to make sure you have a player that does 78's.  

Some new players do 78's if you press down the 33 and 45 buttons together, (if they don't have a dedicated setting) but that's normally the more 'high-end' players from what i can gather.  

If you just want to play regular 45's and 33's   -   you really don't have to be fussy about what player you buy.

wastedfuture

New to Vinyl
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2005, 19:50 »

Clue: Buy CDs.

They are more accessable, can last longer if you take proper care of them, and helps the band you are supporting more.

Korlin

New to Vinyl
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2005, 19:57 »

Thanks for the tips, bidding on a record player on eBay now.

And wastedfuture, I do buy CDs (lots in fact), but my local independent store often has new 7" singles for 99p (so I can get nice b-sides cheap and try the album, as I've sworn off downloading whole albums). Also, they sometimes have the odd rarity which, if it's a band I really like, I'll snap up (such as the old Modest Mouse singles I found).

So, yeah... :)

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
New to Vinyl
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2005, 20:36 »

The vinyls at thrift stores are awesome.

The CDs peak at Scooter.

I will let you be the judge of which I prefer to buy.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

El Opium

New to Vinyl
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2005, 21:19 »

It is my un-supported opinion that vinyls contain more loud. They're also worth getting if the material yr listening to is recorded on analogue gear or is fuzzy, heavy or played in any way that is thrown off by CDs ultra high resoloution. I find a lot of stuff on CDs sounds really stifled, depending on what it is and how its mastered. I don't see how anyone can say most CD re-issues of old material sound anywere near as good as an original LP even if it is a little worn. Records most certainly look good and they actually last longer than CDs as they are solid state but only if you don't play them ;)

catflea

New to Vinyl
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2005, 04:48 »

I generally tend to prefer vinyl - don't know why really.  Problem is:  can't play records in the car

MrKneebone

New to Vinyl
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2005, 16:20 »

Records = bigger and better cover art too!!    

There's a certain feeling about pulling a big-ass record out of the cover and then putting the needle down on the record.   It's just all about the whole manual interaction - it's more fun than pressing buttons.  

(as well as it being a technically superior sound... although personally I think my ears are too music-ed out to tell the difference)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
New to Vinyl
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2005, 18:20 »

I want some decent Vinyl outside my dads collection. Extreme Metal is supposed to sound incredible on Vinyl.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up