THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 10:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet Question  (Read 4352 times)

catflea

Tablet Question
« on: 03 Mar 2005, 06:14 »

I've just bought my first graphics tablet (its an A5 one) and I was wondering what kinda resolution and pen size jeph uses before he scales the comic down to what we see on screen.    I need smooth lines dammit!

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Tablet Question
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2005, 08:04 »

well you get used to the pen after a while, and start using the eraser to get uber smooth lines, and playing with line width :)

heh A5, lucky bastrad mines A6!
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

catflea

Tablet Question
« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2005, 08:54 »

mines a real cheapo one though,  £12.50

Musasa

Tablet Question
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2005, 09:22 »

Well the answer to this has 2 parts.  First of all, just drawing it huge and then shrinkin doesn't reall give you smooth lines automatically.  You have to learn some smoothness on your own.  As far how Jeph does things, he starts all the QC panels as 4800x2800-pixel (the new, wider ones are different) images in photoshop and then shrinkks them down to what you see on the site which is something like 15 percent of the original size.

good luck!

torg

Tablet Question
« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2005, 10:22 »

if he does it the same way as i do (and i think i read somewhere, that he does) he uses an resolution of 300 dpi and scales it down to 75 or so...

edit:
LOOK HERE

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Tablet Question
« Reply #5 on: 03 Mar 2005, 16:48 »

As my drawing style has developed, I've kept the huge-ass original artwork sizes not so much to smooth out my work as because I really just like drawing huge-ass pictures. http://jephdraw.com/dorafull.png">Here's a full-size crop of Dora in panel 2 of Thursday's strip- you can see that my lines, while not perfect, are pretty smooth.

I wield the stylus more like an airbrush than a pencil- smooth, quick strokes rather than slow, tightly-controlled ones. It's just something you have to learn through practice, I think. I'm still getting the hang of tablet art and I've been doing it nonstop for a year and a half now.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

torg

Tablet Question
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2005, 00:42 »

I dont draw at all without the tablet.... no paper is strong enough to resist my  constant erasing and redrawing.

btw. Jeph, did you get my mail with the fan art?
Pages: [1]   Go Up