THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Gen. Consoles  (Read 13034 times)

Jiperly

Next Gen. Consoles
« on: 30 Mar 2005, 23:46 »

Megagames recently did an artictle(at least, the closest thing that could be called an artitle, coming from that website) about upcoming nextgen consoles and what is to be expected from them

I could copy and past like the other articles, but fuck that- I'm lazier than you could imagine

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/thedefinitivenextgenconsoleguide-update.shtml

You looking forward for a System?

Deformagraphy

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2005, 00:11 »

The only systems I'm going to buy on launch date are the PS3 and probably Nintendo's.

The X-Box 2 is a big maybe.

Nice article though.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2005, 00:17 »

I wouldn't trust a launch PS3 as far as I can kick it.

I'm just waiting for E3 so there's more than rumours and actual facts about all of them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nayrk

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2005, 14:24 »

Right now im more interested in Xbox 2 and the Revolution. E3 will probably sway me into actually deciding. Although im a sucker for Xbox Live so if X2 is as good for live as i think it will ill have to get it.

But it comes down to the games in the end.

redstar

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2005, 17:01 »

I've been a loyal PS fan since I was a kid. I'd most likely go for the PS3. Though I need money, I'm almost afraid to see what's the initial selling price for it.

c1utch

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2005, 17:44 »

I'll stick with my xbox until the first price drop or so, then pick up the new one I think

unless there are no good games, or I'm broke, then it'll be just staying with the xbox.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2005, 18:03 »

Quote from: redstar
I've been a loyal PS fan since I was a kid.

That makes me cry inside.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Verek

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2005, 18:07 »

PS has third-party support. THIRD-PARTY SUPPORT. Which means more games. Which means a higher chance of good games. Besides, I'm mainly an RPG player. GC and Xbox are both lacking in that department, but we'll see what launch titles will be.

nothingwitty

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2005, 18:39 »

Quote from: Verek
PS has third-party support. THIRD-PARTY SUPPORT. Which means more games. Which means a high volume of shitty games.

You are correct, sir!

Jiperly

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2005, 20:32 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
I've been a loyal PS fan since I was a kid.

That makes me cry inside.

Its, like, he raped all that was good and pure about gaming and left it crying on the floor with an aching anus.......

Jiperly

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2005, 20:34 »

PS has third-party support. THIRD-PARTY SUPPORT. Which means more games. Which means a higher chance of good games. Besides, I'm mainly an RPG player. GC and Xbox are both lacking in that department, but we'll see what launch titles will be.

Alright- basically, compare the PS to the PC- PC is completely third party support, since IBM never bothered to make a requirement for it, and now its too late.

Does that mean the PC have better games? Fuck no- look at any gamestore, and you'll find bargian trash and worthless games abound. Most good games are for some or all systems anyways, so basically that means only the good games goes through Sony....

redstar

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2005, 20:57 »

Oh relax, dudes. So I enjoy playing PS games. I occasionally play other consoles but I just mainly play the PS and on computers because they usually have lots of good games (and it has its equal share of bad ones). I didn't mean loyalty by playing solely PS games, I just meant that I just usually buy PS products over others without a second thought.

I'm sorry that I'm not well off financially as you guys... Up here in Canada, they rape us severely with the price tags and the taxes. And I'm in college which takes a helluva lot of my money. And I also have to pay for heroin and child supports.

/The last part was a joke...

japaneasy

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2005, 00:46 »

Besides, I'm mainly an RPG player. GC and Xbox are both lacking in that department, but we'll see what launch titles will be.

I totally hear that.  Preach on, bruthah

Neo_Fallen

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2005, 03:05 »

Iv given up, Im just gonna get all 3 consoles this time round... Unless they have really crap games

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #14 on: 02 Apr 2005, 10:18 »

I want the Xbox 2, cuz hey, I'd like to use it a desktop (with more memory).  But quite frankly, I ain't buying SHIT till I see what kind of mods come out for them.  Modless gaming?  Pfft.  Also gonna be interesting with the dual layer DVDs (for the Xbox).  And the blu-ray (I thinks) for the PS3.  Distro a game now, good god.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #15 on: 02 Apr 2005, 10:42 »

Nobody showing support for Nintendo?

I'm sorry, but those crazy bastards have a sense of fun that's lacking in a lot of the other systems (although rare gems like Katamari Damacy come around once in a whlie).

I dunno. I bought a PS2 when it came out but really there hasn't been that much for it that I've actually been interested in, just a lot of crappy sports games (excluding the amazingness that is Fight Night) and the Metal Gear Solids. Oh, and Damacy. Gamecube's titles and X-Box's titles tend to be pretty awesome, too, so I kind of felt burned.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #16 on: 02 Apr 2005, 10:46 »

The GC does have a lot of fun games, but they're not really my cup of tea.  I like killing and racing, and the Xbox is awesome for both.  :)

thehoopiestfrood

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #17 on: 02 Apr 2005, 10:58 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Nobody showing support for Nintendo?

NintyNintyNintyNINTY!!!

Deformagraphy

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #18 on: 02 Apr 2005, 13:07 »

I wouldn't trust a launch PS3 as far as I can kick it.

I'm just waiting for E3 so there's more than rumours and actual facts about all of them.

Y'know, I get that all the time, but right now sitting next to me is a perfectly working PS2 and guess what?  It was one of the first million to come over seas.  It has never broken and has had only 3 disc read errors.  So, I don't know what that's all about, but they have my trust.  Maybe it's because I take care of my electronics.  Not that I'm implying anything at all.

Deformagraphy

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #19 on: 02 Apr 2005, 13:10 »

I've been a loyal PS fan since I was a kid. I'd most likely go for the PS3. Though I need money, I'm almost afraid to see what's the initial selling price for it.

Damn straight.  

Ohhhh noes!  I R TEH NOT TURE GAMERZ ME?  !!1

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #20 on: 02 Apr 2005, 14:44 »

Quote from: Deformagraphy
Y'know, I get that all the time, but right now sitting next to me is a perfectly working PS2 and guess what?  It was one of the first million to come over seas.

First million, eh?  If you said first 10k, then mebbe that'd count.  They only shipped a few million of the things total.

Deformagraphy

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #21 on: 02 Apr 2005, 14:49 »

Quote from: nihilist
Y'know, I get that all the time, but right now sitting next to me is a perfectly working PS2 and guess what?  It was one of the first million to come over seas.

First million, eh?  If you said first 10k, then mebbe that'd count.  They only shipped a few million of the things total.

Well, whatever amount came on the day of release, smart ass.  :P

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #22 on: 02 Apr 2005, 16:43 »

It was one of the first million to come over seas.

Me too.

It stopped working within 2 hours. All I ever did was play THPS 2.

I went back and got it replaced.

The new one stopped working within a year.

I don't trust Sony.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #23 on: 02 Apr 2005, 17:54 »

Sony has a new manufacturing process that basically will lead to malfunction within three years.  This problem is not limited to Sony, though.  Has to do with the fact that they had to remove lead from solder.  The hold that solder has on the components is much lower, so things just pull apart.  Get used to it, I guess?  Though, honestly, the majority of the Sony products I bought failed far sooner than stuff coming out of Korea or Taiwan.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #24 on: 02 Apr 2005, 18:21 »

Quote from: thehoopiestfrood
Ninty x 5

<3
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Moriarty

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #25 on: 03 Apr 2005, 10:37 »

I'll sit on the fence with my PC. I don't really play console games unless it's of vital importance (Resident Evil and GTA series and Armoured Core too). Plus my friend has too much cash and not enough distractions and a brother with the same flaw, so they'll probably end up buying all three between them :)
[sarcasm]Anyone thinking about buying a Phantom?[/sarcasm]

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #26 on: 03 Apr 2005, 10:42 »

Ooh, a Phantom.  Aptly named, that thing.

Deformagraphy

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #27 on: 03 Apr 2005, 11:13 »

It was one of the first million to come over seas.

Me too.

It stopped working within 2 hours. All I ever did was play THPS 2.

I went back and got it replaced.

The new one stopped working within a year.

I don't trust Sony.

I guess I got lucky.

MFD

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #28 on: 03 Apr 2005, 14:11 »

PS has third-party support. THIRD-PARTY SUPPORT. Which means more games. Which means a higher chance of good games.

Actually, I find that, though PS2 has zillions of games, you're more likely to randomly grab a Cube game and have it be a gem.

Damn straight.  

Ohhhh noes!  I R TEH NOT TURE GAMERZ ME?  !!1

I think they were simply unclear as to how young you are.  I mean, I'm 20.  I've been a loyal Nintendo fan all my life.  Which means that you're younger than me, because there was no such thing as a Playstation when I was a kid.  And... oh, GOD I'M OLD!

Anyways, I don't think I need to tell you which system I'm getting.

Jarne

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #29 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:36 »

Either the NextBox or Nintendo Revolution. The playstation has never appealed to me.

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #30 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:04 »

Quote from: MFD
I think they were simply unclear as to how young you are.  I mean, I'm 20.  I've been a loyal Nintendo fan all my life.  Which means that you're younger than me, because there was no such thing as a Playstation when I was a kid.  And... oh, GOD I'M OLD!

Eh, I had a NES when I was younger.  I think I was seven or eight when we got it.  Figure around 86 or 87.  It was fun for a year or two, until I got a PC.  PC games just destroyed NES games, mainly because you couldn't get any decent strategy games for  NES.  Based on my experiences, I'll generally peg Nintendo as appealing to a younger audience.  Granted, it has titles that appeal to an older audience, but in general...  So no, I won't be considering that.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #31 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:19 »

I still don't get how "Kids can play it" means "It's for kids."

Pikmin is a bright, colorful, cute game. It's also one of the few brilliant RTS games on any console. It's not for kids, but kids can play it without their parents caring.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #32 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:21 »

One of the only RTS on the consoles that doesn't suck.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #33 on: 03 Apr 2005, 17:20 »

I still don't get how "Kids can play it" means "It's for kids."

You'll note I said "based on my experience."  And that's that.  I had a NES, a SNES, and a N64.  Then I got a Dreamcast.  Then an Xbox.  And I'll move to the next version of the Xbox, because it has what I want in a console.  I'm not trashing the GC or the PS3, just saying that the Xbox2 is in line with what I want.

c1utch

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #34 on: 03 Apr 2005, 17:29 »

I had a NES, then a Dreamcast, now xbox, but I was born in 89, so as I remember, we got the NES and 20 games for 15 bucks. However, i'm in the same boat as you

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #35 on: 03 Apr 2005, 17:29 »

What does the next XBox have that you want? What games have been announced for it?

The entire argument on what next gen consoles to get is pretty lame. Only Microsoft has said anything at this point, and that was just some product specs and a bunch of hype.

At this point I'm pretty much going to get all three, though I'm hoping some third-parties jump ship from Sony and go to Microsoft, if not Nintendo.

Wait until E3, though...
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #36 on: 03 Apr 2005, 18:12 »

[pours a 40 on the curb for SEGA]

nihilist

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #37 on: 03 Apr 2005, 22:22 »

What does the next XBox have that you want? What games have been announced for it?

Actually, a whole bunch.  A whack of stuff was announced at the GDC.  If I wasn't supposed to be in bed hours ago, I'd dig out some links.  For now, go search.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #38 on: 04 Apr 2005, 00:58 »

The X-Box 2 is a big maybe.

I don't know what you've been reading but all shipments of Xbox1 have stopped as has the manufacturing line in order to clear the supply chain to make room for the XBox2.  Format wise the X-Box2 looks like the council systme to have.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #39 on: 04 Apr 2005, 01:00 »

Quote from: est
[pours a 40 on the curb for SEGA]

Don't forget Atari and Calecovision.  Two great systems from the 1980's though Atari's Jaguar was bunk.

Moriarty

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #40 on: 04 Apr 2005, 14:25 »

Jaguar was only good for one game: the original Aliens vs Predator.
And I really feel for Sega. It seems weird that the company pretty much nosedived and yet there is still a market for Dreamcast games.

Super Dave

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #41 on: 04 Apr 2005, 15:50 »

In my opinion, the PS3 will most likeley be the best of the three, and I don't know which of the other two is second.

Druid

Next Gen. Consoles
« Reply #42 on: 04 Apr 2005, 16:50 »

I'm more interested in the Tech going into the consoles more then anything... and the next Gran Turismo.

The Next Xbox looks interesting because there might be a PC version, and Xbox Live is really nice. The downside is that there isn't any games that I really want to play on it. Maybe if they created a MMPOG like Everquest or something of that nature I might be more inclined to pick one up.

The PS3 has Gran Turismo on it, so I'm going to get one just to play that game. The Cell architecture is an odd thing. Sony and nVidia are teaming up for it's development, so I'm interested to see what they are going to pull off.

Overall, there is nothing too interesting about them if you're not a technology nut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up