THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 10:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MGS3, little details you noticed.  (Read 6509 times)

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
MGS3, little details you noticed.
« on: 07 Mar 2005, 07:46 »

I just got this game on Friday, I'm a good way through it now, and I love the little gags they put in there, poking fun at the series, or loads of other things.
Things like the Bond conversation ("I wouldn't be suprised if they made twenty of those films."), or the idea of robot dogs in the 21st century.

Oh, and the Sigint conversation about the box. :)

Any little gags anyone else noticed?
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Jiperly

« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2005, 08:33 »

Good ol' IMDB.

After the release of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001) (VG), Hideo Kojima said that he would not direct this game. He wanted a member of his team at Konami to replace him, but none of them wanted to, so he was forced to change his mind and direct after all.

In an interview, Harry Gregson-Williams jokingly said that he might return to compose this game's music "if it's set in the Amazon". At the time, Hideo Kojima actually was planning to set it in the jungle. Gregson-Williams was quite surprised when he learned of the setting.

The codename of the character "Major Tom" is a reference to the 1969 song "Space Oddity" by David Bowie, which is about an astronaut called Major Tom. In the game, Major Tom is even asked "Can you hear me, Major Tom?" This phrase is part of the song's lyrics.

The date of the "Virtuous Mission", 24 August 1964, was Hideo Kojima's first birthday. It was originally 24 August 1963 (his exact birth date), but was moved up a year because he wanted the 22 November 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy to factor into the story.

When Snake talks with Director Granin in his office, the theme playing on the radio is the Metal Gear Solid theme. Also, the specifications he shows to Snake are of Metal Gear REX from Metal Gear Solid (1998) (VG). There are also figurines of Metal Gear RAY from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001) (VG) and Jehuty from Zone of the Enders Z.O.E (2001) (VG) visible in the background.

In the mini-game "Snake vs. Monkey", Snake asks Colonel Campbell to ask "Gabe" or "Sam" to carry out his assignment. This is a reference to Gabe Logan, the main character of Syphon Filter (1999) (VG), and Sam Fisher, the main character of Splinter Cell (2002) (VG).

Leave the transmitter in your body for an interesting cutscene behind the waterfall

Johnny Sasaki senior guards your cell.

Ocelot is visible in the final cutscene if you hold R1

The character of Raikov is obviously based on Raiden from MGS2. There are numerous jokes made to the poor American audience reaction and androgenous look and feel of the character.

There are many magazines hidden throughout the game. Most of them are videogame-related but there is a Playboy hidden in the game.

The character of Naked Snake in the game was designed after Sean Connery's portrayal of James Bond. This was done, since in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, the character design of Big Boss himself was also originally modeled after the older Sean Connery.

In the timeline at the end of the game, Mr. Sigint joins ARPA, the Advanced Research Project Agency, implying that he is the DARPA chief from the first Metal Gear Solid.

The character design of The Boss was based on actress Charlotte Rampling.

The character of "The End" (as well as the concept of The Boss being Naked Snake's mentor) was based on a scrapped member of Dead Cell from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty called Old Boy (sometimes referred as Oldman). Old Boy (according to the MGS2 gameplan) was a 100-year old former Nazi general who wielded a Panzerfaust as his weapon of choice and was also a mentor to several soldiers, including Big Boss himself. His character was written out of the Metal Gear Solid 2 script because they could not find a way to fit it into the story.

Digs

« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2005, 09:47 »

I was gonna mention the apparently ageless and immortal time-traveller, Johnny, but Jiperly handled that soundly.

Why don't you come into the box?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2005, 15:29 »

I still have not managed to play MGS2 for longer then a half hour for some reason.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2005, 16:03 »

It's tough to watch a movie with a controller in your hands.

I honestly find it more fun to watch other people play MGS2 or 3 instead of playing it myself.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2005, 17:06 »

Quote from: Jiperly
Good ol' IMDB.

After the release of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001) (VG), Hideo Kojima said that he would not direct this game. He wanted a member of his team at Konami to replace him, but none of them wanted to, so he was forced to change his mind and direct after all.

In an interview, Harry Gregson-Williams jokingly said that he might return to compose this game's music "if it's set in the Amazon". At the time, Hideo Kojima actually was planning to set it in the jungle. Gregson-Williams was quite surprised when he learned of the setting.

The codename of the character "Major Tom" is a reference to the 1969 song "Space Oddity" by David Bowie, which is about an astronaut called Major Tom. In the game, Major Tom is even asked "Can you hear me, Major Tom?" This phrase is part of the song's lyrics.

The date of the "Virtuous Mission", 24 August 1964, was Hideo Kojima's first birthday. It was originally 24 August 1963 (his exact birth date), but was moved up a year because he wanted the 22 November 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy to factor into the story.

When Snake talks with Director Granin in his office, the theme playing on the radio is the Metal Gear Solid theme. Also, the specifications he shows to Snake are of Metal Gear REX from Metal Gear Solid (1998) (VG). There are also figurines of Metal Gear RAY from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001) (VG) and Jehuty from Zone of the Enders Z.O.E (2001) (VG) visible in the background.

In the mini-game "Snake vs. Monkey", Snake asks Colonel Campbell to ask "Gabe" or "Sam" to carry out his assignment. This is a reference to Gabe Logan, the main character of Syphon Filter (1999) (VG), and Sam Fisher, the main character of Splinter Cell (2002) (VG).

Leave the transmitter in your body for an interesting cutscene behind the waterfall

Johnny Sasaki senior guards your cell.

Ocelot is visible in the final cutscene if you hold R1

The character of Raikov is obviously based on Raiden from MGS2. There are numerous jokes made to the poor American audience reaction and androgenous look and feel of the character.

There are many magazines hidden throughout the game. Most of them are videogame-related but there is a Playboy hidden in the game.

The character of Naked Snake in the game was designed after Sean Connery's portrayal of James Bond. This was done, since in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, the character design of Big Boss himself was also originally modeled after the older Sean Connery.

In the timeline at the end of the game, Mr. Sigint joins ARPA, the Advanced Research Project Agency, implying that he is the DARPA chief from the first Metal Gear Solid.

The character design of The Boss was based on actress Charlotte Rampling.

The character of "The End" (as well as the concept of The Boss being Naked Snake's mentor) was based on a scrapped member of Dead Cell from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty called Old Boy (sometimes referred as Oldman). Old Boy (according to the MGS2 gameplan) was a 100-year old former Nazi general who wielded a Panzerfaust as his weapon of choice and was also a mentor to several soldiers, including Big Boss himself. His character was written out of the Metal Gear Solid 2 script because they could not find a way to fit it into the story.

thread killer >:O

Jiperly

« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2005, 11:57 »

i find i do that alot.

My belly button is a innie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up