Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOINC  (Read 5146 times)

c1utch

BOINC
« on: 07 Mar 2005, 17:29 »

Anyone used it?

I just set it up to use seti@home and einstein@home, and I must say seti looks way cooler now at least

Is it faster or different in any way?  Couldn't tell ya

GNI

BOINC
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2005, 11:46 »

Yup. Its way better than SETI classic.
At the moment, its just a different architecture, its doing the same science on the same data, at the same speed, at least in terms of seti. However, seti1 is eventually getting switched off.

If you dont belong to a team, and want to, then consider joining me here

For those that dont know what this is all about, and are interested:
Your computer is wasting its power, right now. Yep, you may be looking at a webpage and doing various other things, but you wont be using your computers processor to its full capcity. So why not do something useful with that spare power?
Thats what BOINC is all about. You can sign up to allow various projects the use of your spare computer power. Lots of people do this already. It equates to having a very very large supercomputer working on these projects, made up of thousands of home PCs.

c1utch

BOINC
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2005, 17:47 »

Oh, sorry, I wnet and joined a team last night

Weird thing is, i've done 17 units in the last 24 hours (at like 25-30 credits apiece) and only am credited with 27 credits, all the rest are still "processing"

Also, it has me marked as having 2 computers, whereas I really only have 1 (with HT tech, maybe thats it)

Oh, and my credits didnt transfer from Classic either

GNI

BOINC
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2005, 03:27 »

Quote from: c1utch
Oh, sorry, I wnet and joined a team last night

No probs, thought you might like a 'home', thats all :)

Weird thing is, i've done 17 units in the last 24 hours (at like 25-30 credits apiece) and only am credited with 27 credits, all the rest are still "processing"

You have to wait for three users to return three valid (and the same) results, and then wait for the credit validator to come to that unit, and then you get the credit. Its an annoying wait, but have patience. Especially at the moment, as they are having some problems at Berkeley.

Also, it has me marked as having 2 computers, whereas I really only have 1 (with HT tech, maybe thats it)

If they are both reporting as the same computer but it has two entries, you can merge them i think.

Oh, and my credits didnt transfer from Classic either

Nope, they dont im afraid. You get a fresh start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up