THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New toy!!  (Read 9904 times)

AbsolootGeek

New toy!!
« on: 15 Mar 2005, 11:15 »

So I just recently (read finally) got my brand new G5 iMac!  This is my first ever Mac, and I looooooove it.  It's incredibly fast, tons of space on it, and it's puuurty!  I'm a Mac user for life!

AndSheeWas

New toy!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2005, 11:38 »

Ah, so jealous. I just get to go home to my G4...

AbsolootGeek

New toy!!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2005, 15:08 »

Seriously, this machine is soooo sweet.  I'm so glad my siblings convinced to get a Mac.  Even my parents are getting a Mac for their next computer!

kurt

Re: New toy!!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2005, 08:24 »

Quote from: AbsolootGeek
So I just recently (read finally) got my brand new G5 iMac!  This is my first ever Mac, and I looooooove it.  It's incredibly fast, tons of space on it, and it's puuurty!  I'm a Mac user for life!

G5's are cool, i havent got one, but they are good for stuff like offices, and multimedia uses. I'm like in a big debate against my freidns saying that pc's are better than apples XD

AbsolootGeek

New toy!!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2005, 12:05 »

On which is better, Macs or PCs, I think it depends on what you're using them for.  Macs are definitely better for office stuff and anything art related, ie photo editing, video editing, etc.  And this is one of the main reasons I got a Mac-- I'd like to get into film making, and being able to edit stuff at home is huge.  PCs are definitely better when it comes to gaming.  However, most of my gaming is done on console now.  The only computer game I play now is World of Warcraft, and that runs beautifully and looks amazing on my Mac, so Mac easily wins in my book.

nihilist

New toy!!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2005, 10:19 »

Whee Mac zealot saying that a Mac is better for Office stuff and graphics/video stuff.  This has been disproven so many times that it isn't even funny.  You like it because it's different.  That's cool, and that's your choice.  But it ain't better.  Especially not with Doom 3.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
New toy!!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2005, 11:22 »

It's all personal preference. You can get a PC that will outperform a G5 and a G5 that will outperform that same PC. It's just a matter of which platform you enjoy working with more.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

nihilist

New toy!!
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2005, 11:27 »

I dunno Jeph, I've never seen a G5 outperform a well-equipped PC.

Though you're right, it is all personal preference.  Like it because you like it.  C'est tout.

AbsolootGeek

New toy!!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2005, 19:04 »

Quote from: nihilist
Whee Mac zealot saying that a Mac is better

Ok...  First of all, I'm not a Mac zealot.  Why is it that people who defend Macs get called zealots, a word with obvious negative connotation, but people who even more vehemently defend PCs don't get labeled at all?  This is my first ever Mac, and I'm just now finding out how much I like Macs better.  I'm not some militant Mac user who's out to get everyone to use Macs.  I understand that it's personal preference.  No need for name calling.

You like it because it's different

I don't like it just because it's different.  I like it because I think it's generally better for what I want to do with it.

I've never seen a G5 outperform a well-equipped PC

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Personally, I've never seen a PC outperform a Mac of equal system specs when it comes to video/graphics stuff.  Again, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I'm not saying Macs are always better with that stuff.  In my experience though, they are.

Especially not with Doom 3

Hey, I agree with you here.  PCs are usually better for gaming.  A lot of games aren't even programmed to run on Macs, and the ones that are usually need special versions in order to work.  But a game will work better on a machine with better specs, regardless of operating system.

When all is said and done though, yes, it's just personal preference.  I was just happy to have a new computer.  Sharing that excitement was the entire reason for this thread.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
New toy!!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2005, 10:13 »

I got my iPod a 2 days ago.... have a pc.... very happy! XD

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
New toy!!
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2005, 12:22 »

yeah i really dont like apples too much... and i think theyre for a bit lower end  office things... PCs could wupp macs in any high end production, but yes... how i love the G5's and ipods anyway, theyre so sexy!

Powerferret

New toy!!
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2005, 13:38 »

I wanna get a CRAY super computer

always wanted to decipher the genetic code of Tiger beetles

blooflame

"My" computer is a z/800
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2005, 08:27 »

IBM Mainframe.... normally handles a couple thousand people at once so when I get it to myself it's damn fast.

Haven't been able to run Halo on it.. closest thing to a video game is the FORTRAN-based Lunar Lander <grin>

Actually, computers are computers... at the metal level they're all strikingly similar. What people are arguing about usually is not even the Operating System since most personal ones are based on the mouse and icon idea. What people really are arguing about are applications - what you like about using a Mac and the applications that come with it versus the applications on the PC with Windows, etc.

mosfet

New toy!!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2005, 17:34 »

Application optimization and driver support.

Macs and Wintels could be technically at the same level in performance, but with the Vid card manufacturers focussing mainly on DirectX, OpenGL is suffering in the game department.

And as for games designed solely in OpenGL, they still suffer on the mac (and linux), because most are designed solely for Win32, then ported over by some 3rd party company (usually), if they are ported over at all.  This is why most people say Wintel is better for gaming then Macs.

Blizzard does a good job programming their games for Mac and Win32, but I have a feeling they don't spend as much time on the Mac side of things.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
New toy!!
« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2005, 06:51 »

Quote from: nihilist
I dunno Jeph, I've never seen a G5 outperform a well-equipped PC.

Actually got proof for that statement... or are we just gonna blindly say stuff?

mosfet

New toy!!
« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2005, 07:12 »

Heh.  The day after I post my post above, I see this at mac rumors:

-----

Apple appears to be actively recruiting individuals to improve their Mac Open-GL implementation according to a post on the Mac Open GL mailing list.

The Apple, ATI and NVIDIA OpenGL software teams are looking for a diverse set of talented engineers who would like to be a part of the fast paced world of 3D graphics. Apply your skills to help make Mac OS X the best OpenGL implementation in the industry.

Open GL is the programming interface for 2D and 3D graphics used by game programmers to provide graphics acceleration to their applications. Apple's interest in accelerating the Mac implementation may come from recent disappointing Mac Doom 3 benchmarks.

-----

http://www.macrumors.com/

nihilist

New toy!!
« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2005, 08:41 »

Quote from: Jenno
Actually got proof for that statement... or are we just gonna blindly say stuff?

I never blindly say stuff.  If you want proof of a smackdown, fine, I'll go dig some up.

daviesmatt

New toy!!
« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2005, 17:54 »

Like jeph said, It's just a matter of which OS you prefer.

I'm guessing the difference in performance between a Mac and a PC with equal specs is going to be small at most.

The people who argue "OMGZ NOO PCZ R BETTA DAN MACZ U DUMAZZ", or vice versa, are just  opinionated assholes.

THERE, NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU GODDAMN ZEALOTS!

nihilist

New toy!!
« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2005, 20:02 »

My comment was not about things in general.  I was commenting on the whole "Macs are faster for <insert thing here>."  They aren't.  Say you like it because the OS is schazzy, or you like a one button mouse, or something similar.  Not speed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up