Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 14194 times)

Burninated Peasant

Spore
« on: 16 Mar 2005, 13:33 »

So, who's ready for the next revolution in computer entertainment? Read about Will Wright's coming game Spore (and view the screenshots), and then try to tell me this won't be the biggest thing in computer games ever. Looks like the game to top the sales of The Sims is gonna come from the same damn guy! :D Seriously, if you're not astounded and awed by the possibilities in this game, there may very well be something wrong with you. I just hope it delivers on its exceptional promise.

nothingwitty

Spore
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2005, 14:18 »

w...wait...

so, you make everything... as in, everything?!

Holy crap.

californaya

Spore
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2005, 15:14 »

I saw this on The Screen Savers last night, and while it may not be a game I would really be able to get into, it looks amazing.

I think they should change the name, though. People might think it's some sort of odd platformer.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Spore
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2005, 17:28 »

I must own this game.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Super Dave

Spore
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2005, 17:32 »

Guess what?

My brain just exploded at the concept of this!

Verek

Spore
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2005, 17:41 »

This is it. The game I've been waiting for. Sort of. Close. Not exactly, but very close.

redstar

Spore
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2005, 17:48 »

Jesus Christ. I must have this game.

c1utch

Spore
« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2005, 18:26 »

I'd take my quake4 any day of the week.

not that this doesn't look "revolutionary", but noone ever gets things perfect right away.  Thats why noone has TabletPCs and there are sequals

I'll wait 'till its more widespread than some Sims-esque game thanks

Kjammer

Spore
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2005, 18:32 »

You beat me to it!
I was going to start a thread about it, oh well now I don't have to.

Added to the list of games I want

Spore
Legend of Zelda (GCN)
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Burninated Peasant

Spore
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2005, 22:17 »

Quote from: c1utch
not that this doesn't look "revolutionary", but noone ever gets things perfect right away.

...except for Will Wright. :) Seriously though, there are many games currently in development that look interesting to me, but this is the first time I've ever seen a game and known that I will buy it as soon as it comes out. Will somebody else make a similar game later? Probably, look at all the Sims clones. But no game ever really improved on the design until Sims 2. It may not be perfect right away, but I'm not waiting 5-10 years for Spore 2. I'm almost 30: I've lived through a pretty sizable chunk of video game history. But NOW I'm excited.

You're totally allowed to have your own opinion, and I've seen enough to know never to put too much faith in a product until it's released, but I'm just flabbergasted that anyone who's ever picked up a joystick could not be completely in awe of this project.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Spore
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2005, 22:31 »

There is a God.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Spore
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2005, 23:00 »

Impressive, but is it fun?

However, Wright is infinitely more respectable to me than Molyneux.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kjammer

Spore
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2005, 23:15 »

I just hope they acually release this, and not just use it as a demonstration to show off their new code (and use it to make SimCity 5 or Sims 3).  There is a possibility that EA will screw it up or limit the game in such a way to make hopeful gamers go on a shooting rampage.  Now that they've gone public with this idea, they'd better stick with it, because if they cancel it they would not make $$$$$ from would-be buyers, and they would have so much bricks thrown through their windows, all they would need to do is buy mortar and they'll have a new wing for their HQ.

If this works, It'll will be worth every penny, my game budget shouldn't be a problem, because I haven't spent money on a computer program for almost a year.

nihilist

Spore
« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2005, 06:15 »

I'd love to play this game.  It's just awesome.  Not a fan of the cartoon-ish style, but it's like what Black and White should have been.  *drools*  A game to actually get excited about...

nihilist

Spore
« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2005, 06:28 »

Yeah, I've been peeking at it every here and there, though I'm trying not to so that I don't come up with any kind of preconceptions.  That'd be bad.

Digs

Spore
« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2005, 10:41 »

At first I thought it was Molyneux talking, actually. This smacks so hard of his older blather, before he got tied up in that ridiculous of-good-and-evil kick.

But no, yeah, this will be wicked.

ASturge

Spore
« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2005, 10:43 »

cant wait, read the feature on gamespy a few days ago and it looks awesome.

im going to make a race of crazy assed stoners. theyre going to rule the godamned universe i tells yeh

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Spore
« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2005, 11:33 »

Hmm, very very interesting.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Spore
« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2005, 12:58 »

Holy crap, what's the minimum system spec on that mother? a HAL 9000?

nevertheless... drool...
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

nothingwitty

Spore
« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2005, 14:36 »

wait, wait, wait...

so, you mean, you customize EVERYTHING?!

Holy Crap.[/b]

Moriarty

Spore
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2005, 14:38 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Holy crap, what's the minimum system spec on that mother? a HAL 9000?

SkyNet would be more useful, you could probably leave it running for a day and come back to a purely mechanical race :)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Spore
« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2005, 14:43 »

Black and White was abysmally boring and unplayable.

Fable is a generic action-RPG with slightly more customability.

Molyneux is a hack who overhypes everything he does.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Schmung

Spore
« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2005, 14:50 »

Burn sir, burn.

His early shit was immense, however, much like a highly rated indie badn, things went slightly to shit when he became 'commercial'. Balck & White had nice ideas, but was wrong at a somewhat fundamental level.

Fable I've not played enough to comment, when I did play, it was certainly more fun and involving than most other things of that ilk.

Spore sound v.interesing. I doubt it will cahnge the way that games are made, but hopefully it will prove to be a unique and very involving experience. I have everything crossed, if it is a success it'll be huge, good for Will, bad because there will lots of shitty copies, but still, should be interesting if nothing else.

AbsolootGeek

Spore
« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2005, 15:27 »

That games looks sick.  And I mean sick in the best, most holy-shit-I-want-that-game-now way.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on that.

crossbones

Spore
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2005, 22:50 »

i feel paranoid now, games with things that can evolve freely, one step closer to letting the machines take over. It also makes me question our existence. Are WE real?

bev

Spore
« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2005, 02:13 »

Holy crap that sounds amazing. But we all know so many games in the past few years have promised us revolutionary new things, smarter computers and all that rubbish and almost always have let us down.

redstar

Spore
« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2005, 08:18 »

Quote from: crossbones
i feel paranoid now, games with things that can evolve freely, one step closer to letting the machines take over. It also makes me question our existence. Are WE real?

Well we can control their evolution and I thought we were finished with that 'the matrix' life simulation philosophizing a few years ago?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Spore
« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2005, 08:19 »

Quote from: bev
Holy crap that sounds amazing. But we all know so many games in the past few years have promised us revolutionary new things, smarter computers and all that rubbish and almost always have let us down.

Yeah... but this is Will Wright. he tends to deliver what he promises.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Meisou

Spore
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jun 2005, 01:29 »

I know this is resurrecting an old post; but I didn't see anyone linking it so...

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

Watch his hour+ discussion on the game.

Marvel at it.  Laugh your ass off at the jokes.  Spaz out some more.  Die of excitement.

IT'S $@#&)*(ING AWSOME!

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Spore
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jun 2005, 01:55 »

I can't wait to pirate this.
also israel

Sathanas

• Not quite a lurker
Spore
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jun 2005, 03:47 »

If this game is as good as it looks, I would quite happily commit murder in order to possess it.

Well, maybe not...just slight maimery.
Estuans interius ira vehementi.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Spore
« Reply #31 on: 06 Jun 2005, 04:14 »

Why do you even need an excuse?

Also, Moriarty: rofl!

Meisou

Spore
« Reply #32 on: 07 Jun 2005, 01:27 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
I can't wait to pirate this.

Not that I don't do that sometimes; but for this game I probably won't.  Most likely it'll ship with a key that you'll have to use to get connected to the central server w/ the mods and everything, and especially since it'll track statistics on your race (like how many people have met them in their game, and if they nuked them on sight and whatnot) you'll probably have to create a profile/account too.  Not that I'll mind paying for it :D

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Spore
« Reply #33 on: 07 Jun 2005, 02:01 »

yea, because there aren't ways around that.

*glances at his dark age of camelot private server game*
also israel

Sideways

Spore
« Reply #34 on: 07 Jun 2005, 08:02 »

Yeah, good game, revolutionary, blah blah.

I prefer story-driven games, myself... never really got into the whole 'sims' thing.  I tried... but I would lose interest after awhile.

I'll probably pick this game up, because it does sound pretty wild, I just don't know if it will hold my attention.

Anyway, I needed to share this with you guys;

Sideways

Spore
« Reply #35 on: 07 Jun 2005, 09:35 »

I thought that PA comic was funny, but unfair.  It's not like W.W. is feeding steaming piles of shit to the starving masses... everything that man touches *IS* genius!

Whether it's a brand of genius you'll enjoy, or one you can simply recognize from afar... it's genius regardless.

Kjammer

Spore
« Reply #36 on: 07 Jun 2005, 11:01 »

One of the things I enjoyed about The Sims was the competition with my borther, when we used the same computer.  Now we have our own PCs.  I then noted that Sim City 4 and The Sims 2 aren't as exciting if you are the only user to the machine.  After not playing them for one or two months I play them again for about a week before I get bored.  then the cycle repeats.

From what I hear about Spore, there's going to be compettiton with other users on-line, unless I misread all the articles.  Which is one reason why I'm excited about this game (other than the fact that a "Revolution" of some kind)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Spore
« Reply #37 on: 07 Jun 2005, 16:40 »

Not competition, per se; your copy of Spore downloads the races and architecture of other users, and it places races compatible with your planet's environment onto your planet and pits you against them. You aren't in direct competition with other users, but you're up against their creations.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Spore
« Reply #38 on: 07 Jun 2005, 18:02 »

Actually, my understanding was that, in the later stages of the game, where your species goes intersteller, it would populate the worlds you encounter with species created by other Spore players, downloaded from a kind of peer-to-peer system.

Quote from: Kjammer
One of the things I enjoyed about The Sims was the competition with my borther, when we used the same computer.  Now we have our own PCs.  I then noted that Sim City 4 and The Sims 2 aren't as exciting if you are the only user to the machine.  After not playing them for one or two months I play them again for about a week before I get bored.  then the cycle repeats.

If you need a way to spice the Sims 2 up, then you can get a patch that permanently disables the censorship effect and lets you give your sims nipples and pubes, so you can jack off while they're in the shower.

Creepy, yet spicey...

harvest17

Spore
« Reply #39 on: 07 Jun 2005, 21:02 »

Sim games have never been my Big Thing (that would be Myst), but this looks totally like The Business. I will trample the homeless on my way to get it.

nihilist

Spore
« Reply #40 on: 08 Jun 2005, 07:43 »

All I can say is:  that was one hell of an awesome resurrection!

Sideways

Spore
« Reply #41 on: 08 Jun 2005, 08:22 »

I find I'm thinking about this game more and more now.

I'm not sure if I should create some brutish, warlike race... or a race of hyper-intelligent, peaceful beings (peaceful... that is; until they advance to the point where they can visit your planet... then we'll see how Peaceful they are with their Kill-o-matic guns!!).

crazybritishsteve

Spore
« Reply #42 on: 09 Jun 2005, 05:09 »

Ok, For me fable was a total let down. It's not even half the game it should've been. Sims was great, black and white was brilliant, but even these games weren't as good as they could have been. Sims did get better though. I don't think he can deliver on all his promises. I think he gets carried away with excitment, but then realises he just can't do everything he want. If this game is as good as it looks, i'd buy it without question. That's one of the best ideas for a game i've seen in a damn long time. I'm also looking forward to see the minimum requirements........

crazybritishsteve

Spore
« Reply #43 on: 09 Jun 2005, 05:48 »

I'm probably gonna get killed for this, but there is a penny arcade comic that sums up how i feel about spore. I'm not gonna post a link or anything, if you don't mind/like PA, go look. Otherwise, don't be a hater. I didn't post the link, cuz i don't like posting links to comics that are already popular.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Spore
« Reply #44 on: 09 Jun 2005, 07:29 »

LOOK RIGHT ABOVE YOU.

Sideways

Spore
« Reply #45 on: 09 Jun 2005, 07:47 »

Quote from: crazybritishsteve
I'm probably gonna get killed for this, but there is a penny arcade comic that sums up how i feel about spore. I'm not gonna post a link or anything, if you don't mind/like PA, go look. Otherwise, don't be a hater. I didn't post the link, cuz i don't like posting links to comics that are already popular.

Like Kai said, I posted that comic about 3/4 the way down on page 1.

And while it sums up how I feel about the industry's reaction to anything made by Will Wright... I'm also incredibly excited about Spore (the more I read about it).

I hope it delivers on it's promise.  I agree with you about Fable being a huge let-down, I felt 100% the same.  Black and White was really cool, but there seemed to be something lacking in the execution of it.  It also gave me wicked-terrible vertigo one night.

crazybritishsteve

Spore
« Reply #46 on: 10 Jun 2005, 05:01 »

Ok, so i'm not ganna get killed for it, i'm gonna get killed for being a HUGE idiot who can't see something REALLY BIG right infront of him. Which is fair enough.

Alegis

Spore
« Reply #47 on: 06 May 2006, 12:47 »

ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

New, great footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHaulHxmO4A

And a preview

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150390

Damn, game looks great !

pro_

• Not quite a lurker
Spore
« Reply #48 on: 08 May 2006, 03:19 »

unfortunately, it does not have synchronous multiplayer, which kills it for me, the game i am waiting for is starcraft 2

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
Spore
« Reply #49 on: 08 May 2006, 16:06 »

Quote from: pro_
unfortunately, it does not have synchronous multiplayer, which kills it for me, the game i am waiting for is starcraft 2

bleh. Synchronous massively multiplayer == noobs and assholes. I like its "massively singleplayer" idea.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up