THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 21:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for constructive criticism (and not on my spelling)  (Read 2812 times)

katwyld

• Not quite a lurker
    • Things of Beauty

I've been working on a little drawing lately, and thought I'd share a few. This is the same dog drawn two different ways. I'm really thinking I like the second one a WHOLE lot better, but I'm now at a loss on how to achieve the look in that one from a front view! Any ideas?

Both were done entirely on a tablet and in Photoshop.

Thanks!

Sideways

Looking for constructive criticism (and not on my spelling)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2005, 08:53 »

I've been working with photoshop & a Wacom Tablet for about 8 months now.

Do you have the proper drivers for your tablet?  I just don't see any difference in flow on the lines.

As for the linework, it could use some cleaning-up.  Best thing to do is work in a higher resolution (I pick my image size first, then work with it tripled).  Use thicker lines, and become friends with the eraser tool.

Re-wiring your brain to work on a drawing surface, but look at a completely separate apparatus to see things progress is a lengthy process.  Keep at it, you'll improve.

As for what I liked; I REALLY liked the colouring.  Did you use different shades and blur/smudge them together... or did you use the gradient tool?  It's hard to tell, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I also really like the second dog better.  But he looks sad... what's wrong?

torg

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2005, 11:55 »

the lip of a dog doesn't touch its nose... the flews hang down too far compared to the second pic. and dont draw the line on top of the fang... hard to explain, sorry, especially as english is not my mother language

katwyld

• Not quite a lurker
    • Things of Beauty
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2005, 19:07 »

Sideways, thank you! I'd put these up on another site, and got a lot of 'Looking good, and work more at it and you'll get it', and that's about it. Now... I brought up Photoshop (and I will admit, I don't know it all that well, but I'm learning), and when I bring up a new image, it's at 72 for resolution. Considering I have NEVER changed it, that's what this was done in. What resolution would you recommend I try? Or just go higher in general?

As far as the drivers and lines... Yeah, drivers are installed, and I do get a little line variation, but I kept the size of the brush small. The problem I have with the brushes is that I get a lot of 'fuzz' on the edges of the brush line. I've played around with different types of brushes, and I use on of the hard edged ones... But it still gets fuzzy. But I'll play around a little more and see what I come up with.

As far as the dogs, same dog, different takes on her, I guess. And the sadness... Yeah, she actually looks like that a lot. I'm working on a 'happy' version of the second pic. I think I'll try your idea on that one. Oh... Question... Can the resolution on an image be changed after it's been started? For example, can I increase the resolution on something I've already started? I'm working with that happy pic in layers, and don't actually have the 'final' image done yet, so...

The coloring... Well, I did use a gradient on the belly of the first pic, between her legs. The second pic is all done with dodge and burn, and picking out parts with the magnetic lasso tool or with the wand... Just worked out well for me. I didn't want to go too much with it, but I didn't know if it was enough. I basically just stopped when I was pleased with how it looked. :)

torg, I think I know what you mean. Are you talking about the first pic? As far as the line on top of the fang... The line above the nose in the first pic? Yeah, that looks really strange to me, but I just did it that way. That's what I want to change.

Final thing... Just so that I'm clear and don't ruffle feathers. Any new pics that I want help with I should just post in here, right? Not a new thread, I mean. I'm not new to forums, but every one is a little different, and I want to make sure I'm following the 'laws of the land' as such. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up