THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 04:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: divx to DVD  (Read 7024 times)

catflea

divx to DVD
« on: 19 Mar 2005, 13:18 »

does anyone know of a way to burn divx files onto a DVD in such a way that they will be watchable on a DVD player?    I've lost a few of my disks in recent years.....

ASturge

divx to DVD
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2005, 16:26 »

yeah Catflea "lost" your dvds.....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight [/sarcasm]

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
divx to DVD
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2005, 10:35 »

If your DVD player supports DivX/XviD files, then you just burn them.  There's some extra options in utilities like AutoGK to further support the chipsets that most of those boxes use.  Google for a tutorial.

Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck.  Get an authoring package and start transcoding to DVD-formatted MPEG and start coding DVD menus.  There are tutorials on how this process works, but there are no free authoring or transcoding packages that are worth a damn.
UNF.

catflea

divx to DVD
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2005, 16:03 »

but theres always limewire

catflea

divx to DVD
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2005, 16:03 »

Quote from: ASturge
yeah Catflea "lost" your dvds.....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight [/sarcasm]

no, really!  have you seen my kill bill DVD anywhere?

all my DivX's are ones I've ripped myself!

c1utch

divx to DVD
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2005, 19:37 »

Technically, ripping DVDs to divx format is illegal if there is any sort of copyright protection present, even if you own them and only want to use them yourself, you can't even legally make a "backup", according to the DMCRA

But, noone  (that I know) has been arrected, and I'd suspect that blockbuster has no right to accuse someone of this even if they do rent out 10 movies a day, refuse to provide them service sure, but unless the guy was keeping the originals and returning copies, or selling copies, then theres no way they can speculate like that without getting sued, whether he's doing it or not.

So, the discussion of such manners I would suppose is still legal, as it shouldn't voilate any of the 1st amendment restrictions, however, it is up to jeph whether he will allow the discussion of these (theoretical) activities.

One legal way to go about ripping dvds would be to take the analog signal from your dvd player playing the movie and record it digitally, because the analog movie has no protection.

As for putting it back on dvd, many players just outright support divx, however maybe NERO will have somthing to burn a movie dvd from divx.

nihilist

divx to DVD
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2005, 10:21 »

Quote from: c1utch
Technically, ripping DVDs to divx format is illegal if there is any sort of copyright protection present, even if you own them and only want to use them yourself, you can't even legally make a "backup", according to the DMCRA.

A) DCMA, no r.
B) That's only valid in the US.  Not the rest of the world.  So nyah.

japaneasy

divx to DVD
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2005, 23:36 »

Quote from: nihilist
B) That's only valid in the US.  Not the rest of the world.  So nyah.

Mwahahahahaahahahaha.  I knew I moved to Australia for a reason...

c1utch

divx to DVD
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2005, 08:30 »

Australia?

thats the only recent one i could find, but I know there have been other instances all over Europe, Germany, etc.  Places like suprnova and lokitorrent, who were not US based got shutdown, both by the MPAA.  Don't doubt it, the US sucks like that.

nihilist

divx to DVD
« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2005, 11:00 »

Those sites were shut down for different reasons, not for circumventing DVD copy protection to back up their own stuff.  Distribution is generally illegal no matter where you go.  Just that it's a lot harder to do things about it in more countries, and you can't just blanket-sue people to get things across.  Stupid litigation...

c1utch

divx to DVD
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2005, 16:29 »

Well, you can blanket sue, you'll just get money instead of making a point, because its not going to stop many people.

As for the circumventing DVDs, Jon Lech Johansen, the guy who "allegedly" released DeCSS (code behind DVDxCopy etc) is now active again, making the ITMS available to Linux users :)

nihilist

divx to DVD
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2005, 19:14 »

In Canada, you can't blanket sue.  Can go after specific people, one at a time, and you have to jump through quite a few hoops to do that.  I'm sure the RIAA/MPAA are busy at work, lobbying the gov't up here to change shit so that they can attack, but that's too major a change.  At least I hope so.

ITMS without need Apple software, now that'd be nice.  :)

wheriend_ndyubgn

Re: divx to DVD
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2005, 16:30 »

Quote from: catflea
does anyone know of a way to burn divx files onto a DVD in such a way that they will be watchable on a DVD player?    I've lost a few of my disks in recent years.....

use nero 6 ultra edition, my friend. it will servce you well. also lets you add titles and whatnot. fun fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up